In An Unspoken Voice - Peter Levine

I have read one third of the book or so and can relate to his writing.

I have seen similar responses in our dog when she was hit by a car (not seriously, thank DCM) and in one of our chickens, who survived a vulture.
Our dog was trembling and shaking.
Our chicken looked as if she was dying, or so we thought. But after she had been comforted and stroked a bit by my partner we could tell by her backside that she was already doing better. At first we thought that she had also become blind in one eye. But after a few days the eye had healed!

Yesterday I received a letter from social services (child protective services). See another thread. While opening it my body responded straight away. I was trembling and shaking. And close to tears when I rang a friend to give her the news. But somehow afterwards I felt a great calm coming over me. I am sure it had to do with me trembling earlier, allowing my body to express itself and not repressing it.
I cannot wait to finish the book. Peter Levine is a compassionate man, OSIT.

Mariama said:
I have read one third of the book or so and can relate to his writing.

I have seen similar responses in our dog when she was hit by a car (not seriously, thank DCM) and in one of our chickens, who survived a vulture.
Our dog was trembling and shaking.
Our chicken looked as if she was dying, or so we thought. But after she had been comforted and stroked a bit by my partner we could tell by her backside that she was already doing better. At first we thought that she had also become blind in one eye. But after a few days the eye had healed!

Yesterday I received a letter from social services (child protective services). See another thread. While opening it my body responded straight away. I was trembling and shaking. And close to tears when I rang a friend to give her the news. But somehow afterwards I felt a great calm coming over me. I am sure it had to do with me trembling earlier, allowing my body to express itself and not repressing it.
I cannot wait to finish the book. Peter Levine is a compassionate man, OSIT.

It really is an amazing book.
Its a good thing that you could be with your body and recognize the trauma being expressed, Mariama!
I have found that on days when I am feeling frightened (due to, as an example, having less money coming in right now) I am now able to see the same bodily responses expressing--shaking, trembling and tightness in my chest--mostly at night--along with insomnia. I am learning to just allow my body to express all this, to not analyze it. Inevitably, the next day I am calm and centered, and back into trusting, so I am thinking some trauma was released.

bupple said:
I was wondering what EE is? can you guys please tell me more? thank you

Hi bupple, EE stands for Eiriu Eolas. You can read more about it here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,12837.0.html

Hi bupple.

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

Nearly finished with "In An Unspoken Voice" - what an amazing book!

I have been trying to listen more to my body for a while now, but this book has made it now much clearer. The exercises that Levine suggests remind me a bit of Gurdjieff's "self-remembering" - the difference I see (or more appropriately the difference I perceived ...) is that G. is more focussed on the "mind" while Levine is more focussed on the "body". I know you cannot divide this in this way, it's just for want of better words ...

I have also realised with the reading of the book that I tend to dissociate a lot, immersing myself in thought and loosing all feeling of emotions and bodily sensations. I often ruminate things past and go into a loop, just like L. describes. So my goal here is to bring my bodily sensations more to my conscious awareness ...

I have noticed though that I very often have a "knot in the gut" which is associated with this dissociated state. Wonder what will come out of that ...

Anyway ... amazing book!

I just ordered it. I've heard great things about Levine for years now but never read his work. Some good friends as well as my teacher at Esalen (I just got back from a month longs stay at Esalen, gotten certified in Esalen Massage™) highly recommended his new book. It sounds very interesting and reading through the reviews and posts on here I'm very much looking forward to read it. As a bodyworker I'm interested in body-oriented psychotherapy. I've seen trauma and deep emotional release in some of my clients during bodywork sessions over the years. Really want to study more of Levine's work now to get a better understanding of it.

Looking through the new Esalen catalog I just found out at that Peter Levine is giving a 5-day workshop in January based on his new book. I'm thinking of going if I can afford it and time allows. Here's the link for anyone interested and living in the area (Esalen is about 5 hours north of Los Angeles at Big Sur): _http://webapp.esalen.org/workshops/11134

obyvatel said:
[quote author=In An Unspoken Voice]
1. Establish an environment of relative safety - through a calm, compassionate and soothing presence.

2. Support initial exploration and acceptance of sensation - this requires the therapist to be aware of non-verbal signals given by the patient to indicate proper timing when exploration of sensations can proceed without overwhelming the patient.

3. Establish pendulation and containment - involves engaging the body's innate restorative rhythm of expansion and contraction when dealing with difficult sensations and feelings.

4. Use titration to create increasing stability, resilience and organization - by carefully touching into the smallest "drop" of survival based arousal, and other difficult sensations to prevent retraumatization

5. Provide a corrective experience by supplanting the passive responses of collapse and helplessness with active empowered defensive responses.

6. Separate or uncouple the conditioned association of fear and helplessness from the normally time limited but now maladaptive biological immobility response

7. Resolve hyper-arousal states by gently guiding the discharge and redistribution of the vast survival energy mobilized for life preserving action while freeing that energy to support higher level brain functioning - the discharge of the energies is generally achieved through involuntary shaking and trembling.

8. Engage self regulation to restore dynamic equilibrium and relaxed alertness

9. Orient to here and now, contact the environment and reestablish the capacity for social engagement - thus engaging the phylogenetically recent myelinated vagal component of the autonomic nervous system.
[/quote]

I felt happy and at the same time got a small shock, when I read about pendulation and containment.
Years ago, after having gone into therapy and having realized what had really happened during my childhood I would have these moments where I just could not believe that I would be able to integrate the sexual abuse that I had just discovered. I remember washing the dishes and thinking to myself how on earth I could live with this new-found knowledge. I couldn't see while I was thinking these thoughts that at the same time I was doing the dishes and taking care of my very young kids. I wasn't huddled up in a ball somewhere. Life went on. To my amazement and without much effort I continued my life with my kids and integrated my new knowledge at the same time. I remember feeling better and better each time we would go to the playground and I could see progress.
So, I think that I may have used this pendulation and containment technique naturally. Our visits to the playground in lovely weather were like these small islands of safety Peter Levine talks about.

Peter Levine said:
With the Zen master's critical intervention, the samurai held back and felt the preparation to strike with his sword.In this highly charged state he paused and was able to restrain and transmute his violent rage into intense energy and a state of clarity, gratefulness, presence and grace. It is the ability to hold back, restrain and contain a powerful emotion that allows a person to creatively channel that energy.
The uncoupling of sensation from image and thought is what diffuses the highly charged emotions and allows them to transform fluidly into sensation-based gradations of feelings. This is not at all the same as suppressing or repressing them.

It is remarkable, but if I contain my outrage I come up with the same image like the samurai. In my mind's eye I see myself lift an axe above my head and slice my ex-partner in half. When I just accept this image and stay with it nothing bad happens. In fact, my anger subsides afterwards. The wish to slice my ex does come back again and again, but my outrage is slowly fading. And because of the containment I am able to entertain creative ideas in my mind, such as focussing on a course where I could learn more about trauma, as it is such an interesting field. And capable trauma workers like PL are sorely needed, especially during the times ahead.
When I had just started therapy and when I was on my own (my kids were in bed) I felt this terror welling up inside me. I was very much afraid, but just held on. And this image appeared in my head where I saw myself standing behind my father who was sitting in a chair (I was actually standing behind the rocking chair we had at the time) and saw myself acting the way the samurai did. In my memory there is just the wish to cut him in half, but it stops right there. Until now I never knew what to make of it, but knew I shouldn't repress it. Now I understand that it was a sign of healthy outrage directed at my father who hurt me so deeply.
We do not get to hear a lot about the outrage that people feel towards their parents. In many cases, people are still held back by fear or guilt and keep their outrage hidden. To be outraged at your parents is still a taboo, OSIT. Or they do not even know that they are angry at their parents, but project their outrage instead onto others?

I picked up this book after Obyvatel recommended it to me.

Its very informative and practical told through the lens of a story teller. Definitely something I'd recommend to others, and associates have already asked if they can read it (I regularly loan out my books when I finish reading them).

About halfway through the book.
I'm reading it alongside "Thinking, Fast & Slow" & Porges' "Polyvagal Theory" arrived today :D

With the tritation, pendulation & containment that Levine speaks about, how would these occur in a practical sense? Different for different people?

Sometimes after/before/during EE, I would experience shakes & trembles. In fact, in allowing my body to do as it wishes, I find my body running & performing repetitive defensive postures, sometimes feeling as though someone is literally shaking me - buried rage, pleasant/unpleasant feelings.
My mental state seems to be doing overtime. Being in familiar circumstances but perceiving differently, old ways of thinking are seen very differently. It's like taking a trip down trauma-ville - it was rare for me to open up to anyone, if I even registered what I felt, & tried to keep this bravado of 'strength' or 'impenetrability' [rather, project my deficiencies onto others]. Especially when attempting to open up to be met with rejection - intended or otherwise.

In a general sense, fear of feeling hurt/unpleasant emotions. More applicable to the social sphere - several group 'rejection' scenarios [the entire year group/school not wanting to associate with you, or feeling uneasy because it was against the status quo] - it correlates with the rough time I had adjusting after moving from country to country, school to school & never finding a place I 'belong' [dual-natured: not being comfortable in the sphere or vice versa, the sphere not being comfortable with me].

The 'running' to me signals having been under threat, in fight-flight-freeze mode, many times but remaining there, in freeze mode which naturally lead to immobilisation & dissociation. Oh & being increasingly defensive, self-critical, anxious/paranoid, stoic & uptight... not rigid outwardly, though much so in thoughts, emotions & feelings. Had to feel a certain way, think a certain way, act a certain way, be a certain way. An optician once told me I had very good control/command of muscles [eye muscles in this case].

I wonder if that has anything to do with not being able to sense threat signals, but the energy being milked up by highly charged emotions & coupled with images & thoughts? As in sensation is so tightly linked with emotion & thought that it happens instantly & is hard to separate?
It could just be years of malpractice...

Mariama said:
obyvatel said:
1. Establish an environment of relative safety - through a calm, compassionate and soothing presence.

2. Support initial exploration and acceptance of sensation - this requires the therapist to be aware of non-verbal signals given by the patient to indicate proper timing when exploration of sensations can proceed without overwhelming the patient.

3. Establish pendulation and containment - involves engaging the body's innate restorative rhythm of expansion and contraction when dealing with difficult sensations and feelings.

4. Use titration to create increasing stability, resilience and organization - by carefully touching into the smallest "drop" of survival based arousal, and other difficult sensations to prevent retraumatization

5. Provide a corrective experience by supplanting the passive responses of collapse and helplessness with active empowered defensive responses.

6. Separate or uncouple the conditioned association of fear and helplessness from the normally time limited but now maladaptive biological immobility response

7. Resolve hyper-arousal states by gently guiding the discharge and redistribution of the vast survival energy mobilized for life preserving action while freeing that energy to support higher level brain functioning - the discharge of the energies is generally achieved through involuntary shaking and trembling.

8. Engage self regulation to restore dynamic equilibrium and relaxed alertness

9. Orient to here and now, contact the environment and reestablish the capacity for social engagement - thus engaging the phylogenetically recent myelinated vagal component of the autonomic nervous system.

I felt happy and at the same time got a small shock, when I read about pendulation and containment.
Years ago, after having gone into therapy and having realized what had really happened during my childhood I would have these moments where I just could not believe that I would be able to integrate the sexual abuse that I had just discovered. I remember washing the dishes and thinking to myself how on earth I could live with this new-found knowledge. I couldn't see while I was thinking these thoughts that at the same time I was doing the dishes and taking care of my very young kids. I wasn't huddled up in a ball somewhere. Life went on. To my amazement and without much effort I continued my life with my kids and integrated my new knowledge at the same time. I remember feeling better and better each time we would go to the playground and I could see progress.
So, I think that I may have used this pendulation and containment technique naturally. Our visits to the playground in lovely weather were like these small islands of safety Peter Levine talks about.

Peter Levine said:
With the Zen master's critical intervention, the samurai held back and felt the preparation to strike with his sword. In this highly charged state he paused and was able to restrain and transmute his violent rage into intense energy and a state of clarity, gratefulness, presence and grace. It is the ability to hold back, restrain and contain a powerful emotion that allows a person to creatively channel that energy.
The uncoupling of sensation from image and thought is what diffuses the highly charged emotions and allows them to transform fluidly into sensation-based gradations of feelings. This is not at all the same as suppressing or repressing them.

It is remarkable, but if I contain my outrage I come up with the same image like the samurai. In my mind's eye I see myself lift an axe above my head and slice my ex-partner in half. When I just accept this image and stay with it nothing bad happens. In fact, my anger subsides afterwards. The wish to slice my ex does come back again and again, but my outrage is slowly fading. And because of the containment I am able to entertain creative ideas in my mind, such as focussing on a course where I could learn more about trauma, as it is such an interesting field. And capable trauma workers like PL are sorely needed, especially during the times ahead.
When I had just started therapy and when I was on my own (my kids were in bed) I felt this terror welling up inside me. I was very much afraid, but just held on. And this image appeared in my head where I saw myself standing behind my father who was sitting in a chair (I was actually standing behind the rocking chair we had at the time) and saw myself acting the way the samurai did. In my memory there is just the wish to cut him in half, but it stops right there. Until now I never knew what to make of it, but knew I shouldn't repress it. Now I understand that it was a sign of healthy outrage directed at my father who hurt me so deeply.
We do not get to hear a lot about the outrage that people feel towards their parents. In many cases, people are still held back by fear or guilt and keep their outrage hidden. To be outraged at your parents is still a taboo, OSIT. Or they do not even know that they are angry at their parents, but project their outrage instead onto others?
[/quote]

I'm currently going through something similar - how to integrate & live/function on a daily basis. In some ways, it was easier when I had studies to occupy my mind... an idle mind being the devil's playground. The change has been substantial enough for others to recognize. I don't know what to do with myself when I'm physically around others sometimes.

When Levine wrote about the 'initiation by fire', it reminded me of an image I had of literary being surrounded by fire. It wasn't unpleasant, close to the ground, & I was processing these trauma-related emotions & states. I have a hard time functioning when things are uncertain because I feel anything I do will effect the outcome - sometimes geared towards a 'desired' outcome, but mostly it's just trying to prevent bad things from happening. Images of violence or of me holding a knife or sword, especially when coupled with this rage, generally send me into a tailspin then shame & fear run the game [until I'm sick of being paralysed of course].

Trauma, rage & inverted anger are rampant in our times. On the outside or in public, people generally appear one way quite diverse to the private, inner, subconscious modus operandi. Prolonged observation of body language & actions says much.

My least favourite thing about fear is how alienating it has proven itself to be.

SMM said:
About halfway through the book.
I'm reading it alongside "Thinking, Fast & Slow" & Porges' "Polyvagal Theory" arrived today :D

With the tritation, pendulation & containment that Levine speaks about, how would these occur in a practical sense? Different for different people?

Hi SMM,
Pat Ogden's "Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy" goes into some level of detail regarding these aspects mentioned by Levine. There is a summary of the book here .

For significant trauma (may involve memory loss or intense unmanageable emotions), working with a therapist is essential since it is very difficult for anyone to do this by themselves. Even for trauma with less intensity but of a more chronic nature, body oriented psychotherapy may be a good option. If body oriented psychotherapy is not possible (such therapists are not that common everywhere), then getting some form of body-work done by a therapist and doing the cognitive processing through journalling and networking may be useful in addition to EE.

[quote author=SMM]
Sometimes after/before/during EE, I would experience shakes & trembles. In fact, in allowing my body to do as it wishes, I find my body running & performing repetitive defensive postures, sometimes feeling as though someone is literally shaking me - buried rage, pleasant/unpleasant feelings.
My mental state seems to be doing overtime. Being in familiar circumstances but perceiving differently, old ways of thinking are seen very differently. It's like taking a trip down trauma-ville - it was rare for me to open up to anyone, if I even registered what I felt, & tried to keep this bravado of 'strength' or 'impenetrability' [rather, project my deficiencies onto others]. Especially when attempting to open up to be met with rejection - intended or otherwise.
[/quote]

Yes, this dynamic is familiar to me. If the conscious ego is strong enough, it can "handle it", keeping all the stuff coming up from the body and the unconscious at bay. If the conscious ego can maintain an iron grip on all thoughts and imaginations, then the body gets affected with disease (a theme covered in Dr Gabor Mate's "When the Body Says No": sott link ). Dreams and fantasy material give indications of what is buried inside. If left unexpressed, this repression takes its toll in the long term.

To move from coping to healing, it is necessary to let the stuff come up in a controlled manner. The key term here is "containment" - or building a "conscious container" which can hold the trauma related thoughts, emotions and sensations so that they can be seen for what they are in the light of awareness. Very often, we cannot do this by ourselves. So we project these contents outwards onto others unconsciously. Others respond, unconsciously, to this projected content and the end result is either a temporary feel-good drama or mutual animosity without any resolution to the underlying issues. If the recipient of the projection can hold (or contain) what is being projected without reacting to the projection, then there is possibility for a resolution. Not all of us have such mature people in our immediate environment - so we try to find a therapist to be such a safe container for us.

[quote author=SMM]

I'm currently going through something similar - how to integrate & live/function on a daily basis. In some ways, it was easier when I had studies to occupy my mind... an idle mind being the devil's playground. The change has been substantial enough for others to recognize. I don't know what to do with myself when I'm physically around others sometimes.
[/quote]

When the mind is idle, the repressed content tends to leak out. We as a civilization have invented numerous ways to keep ourselves busy enough so that all this internal repressed content stays hidden so that we can go about our lives. For some people it may be a perfectly workable solution. However, it seems that a considerable amount of energy needs to be invested in keeping the inner "devil" down. This inner devil needs to be brought out from the unconscious darkness into the light of conscious awareness to free up the energy which could be used for one's development. Like Carl Jung said, "One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."

fwiw

obyvatel said:
Transmutation of Negative Emotions

The uncoupling of sensation from image and thought is what diffuses the highly charged emotions and allows them to transform fluidly into sensation-based gradations of feelings.
[/quote]

This I think is a very fine definition and description of "detachment".

SMM and others, I really liked this (short) video by Peter Levine. He says some interesting things about outrage. Worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ByalBx85iC8

"Peter uses his famous "Slinky" presentation to demonstrate the effects of trauma on the nervous system, and his philosophy of treating trauma; which involves slowly releasing (or titrating) this compressed fight-or-flight energy a bit at time to give the individual the ability to reintegrate it back into their nervous system."

I have found a therapist that works with Somatic Experiencing in my area and I have decided to make an appointment. I still have so much tension in my body that I have to do something about it. I again suffer from a frozen shoulder (this time it is my right shoulder). I have also observed that my body goes into some sort of lock-down when I experience danger or great sadness. I still can't quite reach that life energy that Peter talks about, since something is still blocking me.

FWIW. I agree with Obyvatel.

For significant trauma (may involve memory loss or intense unmanageable emotions), working with a therapist is essential since it is very difficult for anyone to do this by themselves. Even for trauma with less intensity but of a more chronic nature, body oriented psychotherapy may be a good option.

EE and the diet have produced significant changes in myself, but I can now clearly see that there is more work to be done.

Mariama said:
EE and the diet have produced significant changes in myself, but I can now clearly see that there is more work to be done.

I agree with you, and from my own experience, I think that it was EE and the diet (emotional and physical detoxification) that has helped me see more clearly where more work needs to be done.

Added:
Mariama said:
SMM and others, I really liked this (short) video by Peter Levine. He says some interesting things about outrage. Worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ByalBx85iC8

That was helpful, thank you. Let us know how your experience with SE goes :) I haven't been able to find one in my area.

Alana said:
That was helpful, thank you. Let us know how your experience with SE goes :) I haven't been able to find one in my area.

Will do, Alana. :)

Are you familiar with Peter's online course?

http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/The-Healing-Trauma-Online-Course/2410.pd

You can find an introduction here:

Dr. Peter A. Levine discusses his online course "Healing Trauma," which offers students tools to rebound from the effects of trauma and to come back into life through a reconnection with our body and our sensations and feelings. He also shares the inspirational story of one of his first patients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjityEv4M8

Back
Top Bottom