Increase in animals attacks

There seems to have been a sharp increase in the number of attacks by dogs resulting in fatalities across the world of late. To be a bit more specific - 11 in the last 36 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a run down of the headlines (links in story comment box above) concerning these incidents on Sott:

-Elderly man dies after 2 pit bull terriers attacked him in Cape Town, South Africa

-Man found dead in what police believe was dog attack in McKeesport, Pennsylvania

-Woman bleeds to death after attack by pack of dogs while out for a run in Argentina

-11-year-old boy mauled to death by stray dogs in Karnataka, India

-Child apparently killed in attack by family dog in Creek County, Oklahoma

-Pensioner mauled to death by 2 dogs in Italy

-Woman killed in pit bull attack in Grant County, Indiana

-6-month-old baby killed after being attacked by family dog in Kodak, Tennessee

-Taiwanese man dies after pit bull attack

-16-month-old girl fatally mauled by pit bull in Akron, Ohio

When Otters Attack!
E6725F6F-2973-4833-BCB8-21415EADAE29.jpeg
A “group, lodge, bevy, romp, family” or, as I prefer to call them now, “Gang of Righteousness Defender” otters in a Singapore park, were minding their own business , doing otter stuff, when an inconsiderate, non aware jogger ran through them and stepped on one of the otters.

All hell broke loose, and the next human they saw, which happened to be a 200 lbs, 60 year old man with his friend, strolling along on the path, right behind the jogger, got the blame.

The otters took him down in seconds, attacking his ankles and lower legs, and proceeded to bite and scratch him.
These otters in Singapore are likely the intermixed hybrids mentioned in this quote from Wikipedia:

Hybridisation of Asian small-clawed otter females with smooth-coated otter males occurred in Singapore. The resulting offspring and their descendants bred back into the smooth-coated otter population, but maintained the genes of their small-clawed otter ancestors. Today, a population of at least 60 hybrid otters are present in Singapore”

Link to an article:

It seems that the effect of the incoming Wave continues to grow stronger, (with other factors at play as well).

How two shark attacks in two months changed everything at Lovers Point

Published on October 9, 2022 October 9, 2022

Attachments

• 1665416030342.png
    1665416030342.png
    921.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Two dogs attacked my husband as he was out jogging yesterday. These are boxer type dogs. He received multiple bites and only got away when the owner called the dogs off. The owner then just walked into his house, leaving my husband bleeding on the side of the road. He walked to the next house to call me. We spent the rest of the day at the emergency room.

We have told the owners previously that the dogs come out into the road when we walk by. Supposedly they have shock collars on to prevent them coming out but it doesn't always work obviously. There is also a gate that the owner could keep shut, but does not.

The dogs acted aggressively for some reason, who knows why? But the human is of more concern. How could he just walk back into his house and leave my husband to fend for himself?

Two dogs attacked my husband as he was out jogging yesterday. These are boxer type dogs. He received multiple bites and only got away when the owner called the dogs off. The owner then just walked into his house, leaving my husband bleeding on the side of the road. He walked to the next house to call me. We spent the rest of the day at the emergency room.

We have told the owners previously that the dogs come out into the road when we walk by. Supposedly they have shock collars on to prevent them coming out but it doesn't always work obviously. There is also a gate that the owner could keep shut, but does not.

The dogs acted aggressively for some reason, who knows why? But the human is of more concern. How could he just walk back into his house and leave my husband to fend for himself?
I hope your husband heals up. That’s a pretty clear cut case to have the dogs put down, so no one else gets attacked.

That's awful SevenFeathers. I hope your husband recovers quickly and without any lasting injury.

From everything i've read about dog training, shock collars will ultimately create fear and aggression. There's only one instance where i've seen it recommended, but it's as a last resort and has to be used in a very specific way. From what you say, the owner is irresponsible and neglectful and is obviously not using them correctly, and it sounds like the dogs may be associating the shock they get with the boundaries of their property, and people passing by, it may also be 'redirected aggression'.

That said, it does appear animals acting out is also on the increase more generally, and probably for additional reasons other than just training.

Either way, sadly, it sounds like they will be a liability in the future, and it will only really be safe if the owner totally secures them on his property - and obviously that depends on what happens to them following this incident.

Oh wow, @SevenFeathers, sorry to hear that; I hope your husband didn't receive serious damage. In Pa, a bite can be an automatic call to put a dog down. There's a scale of bite severity, I think numbering from 1 - 5.

But the human is of more concern. How could he just walk back into his house and leave my husband to fend for himself?
Yeah, that. ⬆️ I'm still prone to an injury to my knee because neighbors thought it perfectly fine to let their pitbull run loose. I live next to a walking track and many ppl walk by that house, with their pets on a leash, to get to the track.

I had 3 dogs leashed when their pitbull charged us. Their children watched, the neighbours watched me struggling on a hill holding back my dogs, while the pitbull lunged back and forth at my dogs...

I finally screamed get your effin' dog off of us! Here's the thing, the adults finally did walk over but didn't take hold of their dog. They just kept rattling on about how he won't hurt us and 'he don't mean nothin''...And their dog continued to snarl, snap and lunge. By this time, I was silent and boring holes into them with my eyes...I can't say exactly what happened but, as I said before, "Something happens to me when it comes to protecting another"....animals too. Anyway, their dog just stopped and they took him by the collar with humans and their dog backing away from my dogs and I. Their eyes were big as saucers.

You ask how the guy could just walk away from your bleeding husband? A lot of people are completely thoughtless.
Take the word, thoughtless, in its common usage and literally. When I hear ppl babbling on, I see their words in a cartoon dialogue bubble....They are running loops and have no awareness of the surrounding situation....What do the kids call them, NPCs...us: OPs and cardboard cutouts....The only thoughts in their brains are the scripts from their movies and you are a prop. Did that man really SEE your husband? I doubt it...

That's awful SevenFeathers, i hope your husband recovers quickly and without any lasting injury.
Thank you.
From everything i've read about dog training, shock collars will ultimately create fear and aggression. There's only one instance where i've seen it recommended, but it's as a last resort and has to be used in a very specific way. From what you say, the owner is irresponsible and neglectful and is obviously not using them correctly, and it sounds like the dogs may be associating the shock they get with the boundaries of their property, and people passing by, it may also be 'redirected aggression'.
That makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom