Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I made an spreadsheet calculating among others precisely amount of iodine in one drop, when you type in the amount of iodine and potassium iodide in solution. When stronger solutions, the solution volume is increasing in comparison to used water, but it is few percent only, so we can ignore it. Other important question is fact, that some people's equipment makes smaller drops :) 1/30 of 1 ml, instead of 1/20, then there is only 4,1 mg of iodine in one drop. The perfect would be if one before using try to weight 20 drops in order to be sure it is for example precisely 1 gram.

@Kenny McCormick ,

The dosages recommend by the book Laura posted were the 1 drop = 6.25 mg for the 5% Lugol's.

J. Crow Lugol's Help:
Calculating Number of MG's of Iodine and Iodide per Drop of J.CROW'S® Lugol's Solution: 5%: Each VERTICAL "metric" drop (= 1/20ml) is approximately 2.5 mg of iodine and 5mg of potassium iodide. The Iodide portion of Potassium Iodide is about 75% so that is 3.75mg. Therefore the total Iodine plus Iodide is 2.5 + 3.75 = 6.25mg and 2 drops is about 12.50 mg's of iodine/iodide (5.0 mg iodine, 7.50 mg iodide).

Calculating Number of MG's of Iodine and Iodide per Drop of J.CROW'S® Lugol's Solution:2%: Each VERTICAL "metric" drop (= 1/20ml) is approximately1.0 mg of iodine and 2.0 mg of potassium iodide. The Iodide portion of Potassium Iodide is about 75% so that is 1.5 mg. Therefore the total Iodine plus Iodide is 1.0 + 1.5 = 2.5 mg and 2 drops is about 5.0 mg's of iodine/iodide (2.0 mg iodine, 3.0 mg iodide).

From The Guide to Supplementing with Lugol;s Iodine by Stephanie Buist, ND HC (Laura recommends here)

d. Children – These are the levels that I gave my children at the various ages. This is not

meant to be a recommendation but a guideline for what was safe for my children and

others I have been in contact with. General guidelines suggest .08 mg x the weight of

the child but is dependent on the health condition.

i. Up to 3 years – 3 drops of Detoxified Iodine (www.iodinesource.com) per day or

take 1 drop of 5% Lugol’s solution in water and then take ½ of the water and

give it to the child. This results in 3.125 mgs / dose.

ii. 3yrs to 5 yrs – 6.25 mgs of Iodoral or 1 drop 5% Lugols Solution(6.25 mgs)

iii. 5 yrs to 9 yrs – 12.5 mgs of Iodoral or 2 drops 5% Lugols Solution (12.5 mgs)

iv. 9 yrs to 16 yrs – 25 mgs of Iodoral or 4 drops 5% Lugols Solution (25 mgs)

v. 16 yrs and up – will depend on health issues, weight, etc and cannot be given in

generalities. By this point their body is adult size. Dosages range from 12.5 mgs

to 300 mgs.

I think we should go by the 5% Lugol's 1 drop = 6.25 mg as the guideline unless someone has a better suggestion. You are correct that different droppers could affect the dosage but that seems kind of a moot point for the overall protocol.

When stronger solutions, the solution volume is increasing in comparison to used water, but it is few percent only, so we can ignore it.

I am not sure why we can ignore stronger solutions since Lugol's can go 2%, 5%, 10%, 15% etc..

Last edited:
@Kenny McCormick ,

The dosages recommend by the book Laura posted were the 1 drop = 6.25 mg for the 5% Lugol's.

I think we should go by the 5% Lugol's 1 drop = 6.25 mg as the guideline unless someone has a better suggestion. You are correct that different droppers could affect the dosage but that seems kind of a moot point for the overall protocol.

I am not sure why we can ignore stronger solutions since Lugol's can go 2%, 5%, 10%, 15% etc..

As I calculated from the primal values, the number of Iodine in one drop is precisely about 6,24 mg. So we can agree, I didn't mess up formulas. And I mean, volume of 5% Lugola solution made out of 100 ml of water is about 105 ml. And Volume of 12% solution made out of 100 ml of water is about 115 ml. So we have a bit more volume, and in the drop is a bit less iodine than calculated. So the higher the solution, the bigger deviation down.

The amount of iodine in one drop can be precisely measured by everyone, one just need precise scale, weight for example 100 drops of 5% solution, It should be 5g. If, for example it would be 4,8g, then the content of Iodine in one drop is 6 mg (2,5*4800)/(20*100).

I'm reluctant to try out larger doses, even 25 mg. When I did in the past, I remember getting too emotional. I will also get cherry angiomas if I take too much. Not sure if I'm just supporting the critters with my normal ~6.25mg twice a day 5 days a week dose.

I just upped my dose this past week and I took around 15-17.5 mg yesterday and felt emotionally flat in the evening. Also had a dry mouth. It wore off after I took my salt water. But if you're not paying attention and taking a high dose, that's not a good state to be in for a prolonged period.

I got one cherry angioma on the side of my nose and it was annoying when reading at first. Is there a way to get rid of them?

As I calculated from the primal values, the number of Iodine in one drop is precisely about 6,24 mg. So we can agree, I didn't mess up formulas. And I mean, volume of 5% Lugola solution made out of 100 ml of water is about 105 ml. And Volume of 12% solution made out of 100 ml of water is about 115 ml. So we have a bit more volume, and in the drop is a bit less iodine than calculated. So the higher the solution, the bigger deviation down.

The amount of iodine in one drop can be precisely measured by everyone, one just need precise scale, weight for example 100 drops of 5% solution, It should be 5g. If, for example it would be 4,8g, then the content of Iodine in one drop is 6 mg (2,5*4800)/(20*100).

@Kenny McCormick ,

Most here are probably not making their own solutions so I just wanted to give a basic guideline amount. It sounds like you are so close to the Lugol's amount that it doesn't hurt anything. If you buy the solution ready-made you need to know the percentage at least. I looked at your chart but it only mentions Iodine and not Potassium Iodide so I don't know if what you are taking might be stronger due to that.

I just did not want anyone to get confused or take too much. We all have different genetics so it will probably vary quite a bit.

I'm reluctant to try out larger doses, even 25 mg. When I did in the past, I remember getting too emotional. I will also get cherry angiomas if I take too much. Not sure if I'm just supporting the critters with my normal ~6.25mg twice a day 5 days a week dose.

I just upped my dose this past week and I took around 15-17.5 mg yesterday and felt emotionally flat in the evening. Also had a dry mouth. It wore off after I took my salt water. But if you're not paying attention and taking a high dose, that's not a good state to be in for a prolonged period.

I got one cherry angioma on the side of my nose and it was annoying when reading at first. Is there a way to get rid of them?

@3DStudent ,

I have occasionally had small (more like bruises) spots but whether it was directly related to the Idodine is difficult to know.

I am not sure the Idodine causes the cherry angiomas but here is one opinion:

From Healthline:
What causes cherry angiomas?

The exact cause of red moles is unknown, but there may be a genetic factor that makes certain people more likely to get them. They’ve also been linked to pregnancy, exposure to chemicals, certain medical conditions, and climate.

There also appears to be a link between cherry angiomas and age. They often begin to appear when individuals reach 30 years old and seem to increase in size and number with age. One studyTrusted Source noted that over 75 percent of people over 75 years old have them.

How are cherry angiomas treated?

You probably won’t need to have a cherry angioma treated, but you do have options if you want it removed for cosmetic reasons.
You might need to have it removed if it’s in an area that is easily bumped, which can lead to regular bleeding.
There are a few common procedures for removing red moles.
Electrocauterization
This surgical method of treatment involves burning the angioma by using an electric current delivered by a tiny probe. For this procedure, you’ll also have a grounding pad placed somewhere on your body to ground the rest of your body from a surge of electricity.
Cryosurgery
Cryosurgery involves freezing the angioma with liquid nitrogen. The extreme cold will destroy it. This method is known for being a quick and relatively easy procedure.
You often only need one treatment session for cryosurgery to work, and the liquid nitrogen is usually sprayed for only about 10 seconds. The wound doesn’t require much care afterward.
Laser surgery
This type of surgery involves using a pulsed dye laser (PDL) to get rid of the cherry angioma. The PDL is a concentrated yellow laser that gives off enough heat to destroy the lesion. This method is quick and is done as an outpatient procedure, which means you won’t have to stay in the hospital overnight.
Depending on how many angiomas you have, you may need between one and three treatment sessions. This surgery can cause slight bruising, which can last up to 10 days.
Shave excision
This procedure involves removing the angioma from the top portion of skin. Shave excision is an alternative to invasive surgery that would involve cutting out the lesion or growth and using stitches, or sutures, to close the wound.
If you do have angiomas removed with any of these methods, scarring is uncommon but always possible.

When to seek medical treatment for cherry angiomas

If you notice any changes in the way a red mole looks, schedule an appointment with your doctor. It’s important to have any type of lesion or growth looked at when its appearance changes or if the diagnosis is unknown. Your doctor will be able to rule out serious conditions, such as skin cancer.
Your doctor may decide to do a biopsy, which involves removing and examining a small sample of the area or the entire lesion, to diagnose or rule out other conditions.

Cherry angiomas and long-term outlook

A cherry angioma won’t go away on its own, but it’s also unlikely to cause you any problems. It may bleed from time to time if it’s irritated.
However, a red mole that changes in size, shape, or color is always cause for concern and should be looked at by your primary care doctor or dermatologist.

As Woodsman has shown there are good reasons what Kenny is saying may be true. I'm a bit confused as to why people are incredulous when we have had this information already for years. I think it is partly the authority which Kenny projects but then fails to be impeccable in providing corroboration.

Perhaps the idea is to take large doses to knock out the critters and then slow down later if the effects are too harsh?

I agree with monotonic, taking large doses does seem to fit the equation. I remember when I bumped my dosage to 25 mg the first week I took iodine, I did experience what Kenny referred to(feeling like a teenager again, super charged). But this effect only stuck for several hours and vanished altogether, even when I bumped my dosage to 50 mg. I was thinking this may be an example of the iodine boosting my body since I was so depleted, but then the critters may have also been boosted as well so I went back to feeling "normal". Normal for me was chronic fatigue, memory problems, lack of focus, etc. Part of this had to do with my NS being in a constant fight or flight state, so the cortisol was causing havoc in my bodily systems, but this part has been fixed with NO. Magnesium also helped greatly to alleviate the memory problems. My chronic fatigue is gone, but there is still something missing. I'm waiting on a shipment of Allithiamine to test out that protocol but while waiting I decided to carefully up my iodine dosages as recommended by Kenny.

These past couple of weeks I have gone from 50 mg to 500 mg and honestly I'm feeling better as I increase the dosage. I only felt some minor flue symptoms on the lower dosages (lower being 50-200). Taking 500 is a bit harsh on my throat for now, like when you eat a raw crushed garlic(though not nearly as intense), but I'm not feeling any other negative side effects. Eating a hearty meal does reduce that harshness greatly.

Though it's still very early to say for sure, so far I do feel like I have more control over myself and am less distracted. I am able to naturally focus without too much effort, and have a lessened appetite for procrastination/dissociation. I'll continue upping the dose carefully and report as I go.

I just had my third glass of water with 100 mg of Lugol's solution in it, beginning my third day. The drink is very red, and my friend asked, "Whoa. What is that?"

I definitely noticed an energy boost each time which lasted several hours, and I'm feeling it now again. My sweat and urine stank, (though only about half as much as when I began several years back with much smaller doses), and my skin is looking more boyish and glowing. I feel pretty good and sharp. That's nice.

I was also coming off a bout of the seasonal flu, -which had been sticking around far longer than normal. (Normally, I get through a cold in about 3-5 days. This time I was dealing with a lot of green snot and lingering associated crap for more than a week after I should have been over it. I was worried that I'd managed to acquire a secondary infection in the sinuses. Well that condition has made a hasty retreat in the last 24 hours and I'm clearing up rapidly. If the trend continues, I'll be completely clear this time tomorrow.

In terms of my personal history with iodine, I suspect that sticking with approx 35 mg doses (taken every second or even third day or so) probably served to balance out my system wrt iodine and slowly flushed out heavy metals and such over the last few years. So going for a big dose didn't whammie me with heavy metal toxins as it might have done in the beginning. My body was already acclimated.

I'll stick with 100 mg doses for the next several days to see where it takes me. I'll report in again later.

As most of althernative gurus, she opts for most problematic doses. Damage control or lack of practice and networking experience?
Quite expensive charging for Iodine solutions BTW...

And who is the perfect "guru"?

Iodine is a bit dangerous at doses 5-50 mg. It is common among users. And accidentally this is the ranfe recomended by most of the gurus.

Obviously, higher dosages may not work for everyone but that is something to be "learned" by the individual by paying attention as the dosage is gradually adjusted. What is your dosage and why?

From personal experience I would say grown up dose for healthy individual would be somewhere around 100-200 mg. For people who have multiple health issues I would suggest starting at 100 mg and increasing by 50-100 mg every few days/weeks up to 1000 mg and higher in order to do profound detoxification. Finishing the process is experienced as sudden energy burst. I experienced that when using 1000 mg for a few days. It can be described as returning back to young days. Staying on doses between 200 and 400 mg daily prolongs that feeling limitless (3 years now for me).

Iodine also protects cells in case of detox, the only two thing we had to remember is to back up detox from bromine by salted water, and slow increasing dose between 250 and 700 mg, because that are the levels that clear out most of mercury, and mercury iodide is quite toxic also. One can find out it's mercury detox when feeling bitter taste on tongue about hour after iodine ingestion. Then one should increase ascorbic acid intake, and also implement some sulphor source, MSM od DMSO for time of detox. When mercury finally comes out, then one will feel younger and stronger.

@Kenny McCormick ,

Nevermind my previous question on your personal dosage. I see you are already using/used higher dosages than most of us so I am not sure why you seem so concerned about the rest of us but I do appreciate your concern. As far as the expense of buying ready-made Iodine supplements goes, not all of us are able to make our own easily. I think you have shared some valuable information.

100 mg of Iodine per day seems to be working well for me. My nasal infection has been steadily knocked down, now to nearly nothing. Energy levels good, brain sharp. It feels like the early days of my iodine use.

I'm going to stick with this level for the next few weeks.

The one thing I'm not sure about.., how much Selenium is in my system? It'd be nice if there was some way to test for that.

Back
Top Bottom