Iran

Pompeo's Brussels meeting with NATO's Stoltenberg. May 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/jensstoltenberg/status/1127963328305930241

I double checked this link after Posting and noticed it came up - "page not found" so to reinforce the link - I'll repost it ...

Jens Stoltenberg‏Verified account @jensstoltenberg May 13

Great meeting with @SecPompeo during his visit to Brussels. Good discussions on a range of security issues including #Iran.pic.twitter.com/pGPiCJcf5N
D6dUqnIWwAELa65.jpg

8:46 AM - 13 May 2019

This is a repost from another thread, since it fits in here as well.

I find the reaction of the Mainstream Media currently rather curious about the latest rumors of Trumps staff wanting war with Iran and/or sending troops to the region. All over the board in the mainstream you can hear a similar theme of not really embracing it and basically bashing Trump for it. You even hear Iran's leader speaking on radio talking about "not wanting war" and so on.

It sounds very scripted and I wonder what goal if any is behind this campaign? Or in other words: what does the Mainstream Media/PTB want to imprint in the minds of ordinary folks with this type of reporting, primarily by appeal to emotions?

That the Mainstream Media and established politics (deepstaters) in the US are the sane ones and the Trump people (rather Trump himself here) are the actual crazy warmongers? Shifting the blame for the imperial warmongering and crazy doings in the US and around the world solely on this administration and by implication away from established power structures? Do they want to build up credibility so that the next president will again be fully on board with the deep state, since people will likely vote differently with campaigns like this?

One thing seems to be certain, the media wouldn't spin it that way if a Obama would be president. They would probably happily support it in any shape form or fashion and call for war. Is it a setup?

I'm also smelling another big "shooting themselves in the foot" with the way they handle this right now. They seem to forget that not all people forget history and will remember how they handle it now.

In my view, everything is being set-up to support Israel's war with Iran? It will be Netanyahu who fires the first Nuclear Missile into Iran! US troop deployment - either by air, sea or land - will be cannon-folder along with Iranian casualties. Iran will be wiped off the map - much like what happened in Japan - but on a much larger and wider scale!!! An extinction event that will affect the whole World.
Netanyahu won't stop firing Nuclear Warheads until the atomic impact splits Iran into a separate planet ... while thrusting our World into a different orbit - away from the Sun? Nuclear Winter, indeed - the Earth will be frozen over for eons! How's that for Climate change?

I don't think they will, they will be attacked in return if they would. And perhaps interesting, NATO stated they wouldn't help Israel in such a conflict (as it's not a member):

Netanyahu might want to wipe Iran off the map, but I don't think he'll be able to as Iran is strong militarily. If he could, I think he would have already. FWIW.

A couple more interesting bits from sessions:

On Trump:

Q: (L) Well he's already picking some people that I consider to be quite questionable. His attitude towards Israel and the Palestinians is completely delusional.

A: Yes... It seems...

Q: (Galatea) He's playing everybody, I think. My impression is that everything he's been doing has just been an act, and he's secretly, covertly doing some good things. He's just being evil to be good.

A: Close. He knows what he is up against!
Session 12 Nov 2016

On Israel:

(KJN) Will Israel get its comeuppance and the Gaza atrocities abate?

A: Israel will certainly "pay the piper", but perhaps not soon enough.
23 August 2014

I‘m willing to make a prediction. I don’t think that there will be any serious war as long as Trump is President that America initiates or is a part of. Call it what you want, „because it is to expensive“ or „because he really thinks it is bad for other reasons“ or whatever. If anything we will probably see more hard „We are the boss“ statements followed by small rocket attacks to show off and keep the deepstaters at bay. I also think we will see a further downgrade of inofficial black ops and CIA operation abroad. I also think it is highly likely that Trump will serve another term.

Not another war was and is pretty much one of the core ideas that got Trump into office in the first place and I think he wants to hold that promise no matter what. „If that means to say the most outrageous and bad things about other leaders and countries, so be it, if it prevents war actions.“ Maybe that‘s what Trump thinks at this point...

By their fruits and actions you shall know them and not by their words. In this case the facts on the ground still speak another language than Trumps hard statements which might just be part of „the art of the deal“ after all. I‘m still pretty much standing behind this:

I'm still very impressed how much Trump has actually been able to accomplish and this one is another biggie, which certainly doesn't look like something the deep state likes at all. Say what you want about Trump, I'm still very much in awe in how bluntly, swiftly and successfully he has tackled on many huge issues, like the "russians are at fault" nonsense (basically against the opinion of pretty much everyone else with any say in that country) , pulling out of the Climategate nonsense BIG time (again against huge pressure from pretty much everyone), putting Americans first, creating work and so on, while still not bending towards starting another war. Heads down, I'm impressed! I would seriously consider voting for him in the next election, just to keep all the other crazies at bay for another 4 years. I'm not an American, so I can't vote unfortunately. Which other US-President would have even gotten remotely close on what Trump was able to say and accomplish in a very short time? I can't think of anyone coming even remotely close to the sheer galls Trump has in what he is saying and doing including about the mainstream media.

Trump told U.S. defense chief: no war with Iran: N.Y. Times May 16, 2019
FILE PHOTO - Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan arrives to testify before a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing on the proposed FY2020 budget for the Defense Department on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., May 8, 2019. REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein
U.S. President Donald Trump has told his acting defense secretary, Patrick Shanahan, he does not want to go to war with Iran, the New York Times reported on Thursday, citing unidentified administration officials.

The Republican president made the comment to Shanahan on Wednesday morning during a White House briefing on rising tensions with Iran, the newspaper said.

Trump says he hopes U.S. not going to war with Iran
 U.S. President Donald Trump awaits the arrival of Swiss Federal President Ueli Maurer at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 16, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he hoped the United States was not heading to war with Iran as he met with Switzerland President Ueli Maurer, whose nation has served as a diplomatic conduit between the two countries.

Asked by reporters Washington was going to war with Tehran, Trump responded, “Hope not” as he greeted Maurer at the White House.

Tensions have escalated in recent days with increasing concerns about a potential U.S.-Iran conflict. Earlier this week the United States pulled some diplomatic staff from its embassy in Baghdad following weekend attacks on four oil tankers in the Gulf.

Switzerland, a neutral country, has historically been a liaison between the United States and Iran, which have no diplomatic relations.

A White House statement said the two leaders discussed “a range of international issues, including the crises in the Middle East and in Venezuela.”

“President Trump expressed his gratitude for Switzerland’s role in facilitating international mediation and diplomatic relations on behalf of the United States,” the statement said.

The Washington Post, citing unnamed U.S. officials, reported late Wednesday that Trump preferred a diplomatic route with Iran and direct talks with its leaders but worried that some of his advisers were pushing war.

Trump, Swiss president discussed Middle East, Venezuela crises: White House
 U.S. President Donald Trump welcomes Swiss Federal President Ueli Maurer as he arrives for meetings at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 16, 2019. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

U.S. President Donald Trump discussed crises in the Middle East and Venezuela during a meeting on Thursday with Switzerland President Ueli Maurer, a White House spokesman said.

Iran plans no changes to nuclear centrifuges, IAEA ties: spokesman
FILE PHOTO: The Iranian flag flutters in front of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) headquarters in Vienna, Austria March 4, 2019.   REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger/File Photo

Iran has no plans to launch centrifuge machines able to enrich uranium at higher capacity or to alter its relations with the U.N. nuclear watchdog, the spokesman for its civilian nuclear agency was quoted as saying on Thursday.

Iran says exercising restraint despite 'unacceptable' escalation of U.S. sanctions
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, right, walks to meet Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at Abe's official residence in Tokyo Thursday, May 16, 2019.  Eugene Hoshiko/Pool via REUTERS
Iran is committed to its obligations under an international nuclear deal despite the U.S. withdrawal from the landmark agreement, its foreign minister said on Thursday, calling the re-imposition of U.S sanctions "unacceptable".

Pompeo to visit Germany on May 31 after cancelling previous trip: newspaper
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo attends a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Sochi, Russia, May 14, 2019. Sputnik/Alexei Druzhinin/Kremlin via REUTERS

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will visit Berlin on May 31, after he canceled a trip to the German capital earlier this month, newspaper Tagesspiegel said on Thursday.

The Washington Post, citing unnamed U.S. officials, reported late Wednesday that Trump preferred a diplomatic route with Iran and direct talks with its leaders but worried that some of his advisers were pushing war.

Despite the depressing previous years' events I will hope that there is a possibility that Trump is able to "out" these despicable advisors for the neocon warhawks they really are and put the blame on them. If that was his objective from the beginning then it is kind of brilliant but that for me is stretching my hope meter quite a bit.

I appreciate Pashalis' previous post #147 for at least giving a glimmer of hope for how it may play out in the future.

From Stratfor

Snip Graphis Maps 5-6 minute Read:
To understand Iran, you must begin by understanding how large it is. Iran is the 17th largest country in world. It measures 1,684,000 square kilometers. That means that its territory is larger than the combined territories of France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and Portugal — Western Europe. Iran is the 16th most populous country in the world, with about 70 million people. Its population is larger than the populations of either France or the United Kingdom.

Under the current circumstances, it might be useful to benchmark Iran against Iraq or Afghanistan. Iraq is 433,000 square kilometers, with about 25 million people
, so Iran is roughly four times as large and three times as populous. Afghanistan is about 652,000 square kilometers, with a population of about 30 million. One way to look at it is that Iran is 68 percent larger than Iraq and Afghanistan combined, with 40 percent more population.

More important are its topographical barriers. Iran is defined,
above all, by its mountains, which form its frontiers, enfold its cities and describe its historical heartland. To understand Iran, you must understand not only how large it is but also how mountainous it is.

Current

Zarif plays down tensions as IRGC chief says Iran, US in midst of intel war
Today, 6:20 pm
Iranian FM indicates Tehran not seeking conflict; Hossein Salami says US political system ‘like the World Trade Building that collapses with a sudden hit’

Iranian officials gave mixed signals on Saturday as tensions between Washington and Tehran continued to flare over US military moves in the region.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif discounted the prospect of a new war in the Middle East, as the new head of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guard Corps said the US and Iran were already locked in an intelligence war.

Concerns about a possible conflict have flared since the White House ordered warships and bombers to the region to counter an alleged, unexplained threat from Iran that has seen the US order nonessential diplomatic staff out of Iraq. Tensions have also ratcheted up in the region after authorities alleged that a sabotage operation targeted four oil tankers, including two belonging to Saudi Arabi, on Sunday off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, and Iran-aligned rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for a drone attack Tuesday on a crucial Saudi oil pipeline.

Iran-US relations hit a new low last year after US President Donald Trump pulled out of a 2015 nuclear deal and reimposed unilateral sanctions that had been lifted in exchange for Tehran scaling back its nuclear program.

Zarif said Saturday that Iran was “certain… there will not be a war since neither we want a war nor does anyone have the illusion they can confront Iran in the region,” he told state-run news agency IRNA at the end of a visit to China.

Meanwhile, IRGC head Major General Hossein Salami said at a meeting Saturday that Iran and the US were in the “midst of a full-scale intelligence war.” The semi-official Fars news agency also quoted Salami using 9/11 as a metaphor for America’s political system, describing it “like the World Trade Building that collapses with a sudden hit.”

“This is a combination of psychological warfare, cyber operations, military mobility, public diplomacy and instilling fear,” the semi-official news agency ISNA quoted Salami as saying.

“America’s majesty is on decline and it is about to reach its end, and at the same time, we must watch out for probable dangers in such circumstances,” he said.

“We can be victorious over the enemy in the intelligence battlefield,” Salami said, according to a translation in the Hebrew news site Ynet.

Earlier this week, Salami said Iran was “on the cusp of a full-scale confrontation” with the enemy.

“This moment in history — because the enemy has stepped into the field of confrontation with us with all the possible capacity — is the most decisive moment of the Islamic revolution,” added Salami, who was tapped as the new IRGC chief last month.

In the US, President Donald Trump took a soft tone this week, a day after tweeting that he expected Iran to look for talks. Asked if the US might be on a path to war with the Iranians, the president answered, “I hope not.”

The tone contrasted with a series of moves by the US and Iran that have sharply escalated tensions in the Middle East in recent days. For the past year, National Security Adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have been the public face of the administration’s “maximum pressure” campaign against Tehran.

Iranian officials remain skeptical of Trump’s intentions.

Imposing sanctions while seeking talks is like “pointing a gun at someone and demanding friendship,” said Iranian Gen. Rasool Sanaeirad, according to the semi-official Mehr news agency.

That comment was echoed by Majid Takht-e Ravanchi, Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations.

“They want to have the stick in their hands, trying to intimidate Iran at the same time calling for a dialogue,” Ravanchi told CBS. “What type of dialogue is this?”

For his part, Trump criticized the media in a tweet Friday about Iran and added: “At least Iran doesn’t know what to think, which at this point may very well be a good thing!” Since the White House’s decision May 5 to deploy the bombers and aircraft carrier, the US government has declined repeated requests to publicly explain the new threat they perceive coming from Tehran.

Zarif later responded to Trump on Twitter.

“We in Iran have actually known what to think for millennia_and about the U.S., since 1953,” the diplomat wrote, referring to the CIA’s involvement in the overthrow of Iran’s prime minister at the time. “At this point, that is certainly ‘a good thing!'”

Then Trump appeared minutes later respond to Zarif’s tweet.

“With all of the Fake and Made Up News out there, Iran can have no idea what is actually going on!” the US president wrote.

On Friday, Zarif arrived in Beijing to speak to his Chinese counterpart. China was one of the signatories on Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, which saw it limit its enrichment of uranium in exchange for the lifting of crushing economic sanctions.

“So far, the international community has mainly made statements instead of saving the deal,” Zarif said, according to a report by the state-run IRNA news agency. “The practical step is quite clear: economic relations with Iran should be normalized. This is what the deal clearly addresses.”

Foreign Minister Wang Yi told Zarif that China hopes the Iran nuclear deal can be “fully implemented.”

“China firmly opposes unilateral sanctions and the so-called ‘long arm’ jurisdiction imposed by the United States on Iran,” Wang said, according to China’s Xinhua state news agency. He pledged to maintain the nuclear deal and work with Iran to eliminate “complicated disturbing factors,” Xinhua said.

Zarif earlier visited Japan, a major importer of crude oil from the Persian Gulf.

Iran recently said it would resume enriching uranium at higher levels if a new nuclear deal is not reached with Europe by July 7. That would potentially bring it closer to being able to develop a nuclear weapon, something Iran insists it has never sought.

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its carrier strike group have yet to reach the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which a third of all oil traded at sea passes. A Revolutionary Guard deputy warned that any armed conflict would affect the global energy market. Iran long has threatened to be able to shut off the strait.

“If a war happens, the world will suffer from [a] problem in energy supply,” Gen. Saleh Jokar said, according to a report Friday by the semi-official Fars news agency.

He also said Iran’s short-range missiles “can easily reach present warships in the Persian Gulf,” while noting the 2,000-kilometer (1,240-mile) range of the Islamic Republic’s ballistic missiles can reach across the wider Persian Gulf.

The US Navy’s 5th Fleet, which patrols the Persian Gulf from its base in Bahrain, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. However, the USS McFaul and the USS Gonzalez, two Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, transited the strait on Thursday without incident.

A challenge for Trump

Iran poses a particular challenge for Trump. While he talks tough against foreign adversaries to the delight of his supporters, a military confrontation with Iran could make him appear to be backtracking on a campaign pledge to keep America out of foreign entanglements.

Lawmakers and allies, however, worry that any erratic or miscalculated response from Trump could send the US careening into conflict.

Trump pulled the US out of the Iran nuclear deal last year and reinstated sanctions on Tehran that are crippling its economy.

Tensions rose dramatically May 5, when Bolton announced that the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group would be rushed from the Mediterranean to the Persian Gulf ahead of schedule in response to “a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings,” without going into details.

On Tuesday, the Senate will receive a classified briefing on Iran, according to Jim Risch of Idaho, the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. The House has requested a classified briefing as well.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said briefings are necessary because informing leaders “is no substitute for the full membership of the Congress.” She said a failure to inform lawmakers is “part of a pattern” for the Trump administration “that is not right,” because the power to declare war resides with Congress.

“I hope that the president’s advisers recognize that they have no authorization to go forward in any way” against Iran, Pelosi said.

Trump has dismissed suggestions that any of his advisers, particularly Bolton, are pushing him into a conflict.

“John has strong views on things, but that’s OK. I actually temper John, which is pretty amazing isn’t it?” Trump said recently when asked if he was satisfied with Bolton’s advice. “I have different sides. I mean, I have John Bolton, and I have other people that are a little more dovish than him. And ultimately I make the decision.”

Mark Dubowitz, an advocate of a hardline policy toward Iran and chief executive of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, said, “Trump is smart to let these advisers play the roles they play and it really does help him lay the table for negotiation, but ultimately, it comes back to his ability to oversee a negotiation and do so wisely and judiciously, and that’s an open question.”

Trump agreed with critics of the 2015 nuclear deal that it didn’t address Tehran’s work on ballistic missiles or its support of militant groups around the region. His administration reinstated sanctions that had been lifted under the deal — the Europeans and other signatories are still in it — and has piled on more.

Trita Parsi, an adjunct associate professor at Georgetown University who advised the Obama administration on Iran, thinks the Iranians are trying to exploit Trump and Bolton’s divergence on foreign policy issues.

He cited a recent tweet from Hessamoddin Ashena, an adviser to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, directed squarely at Trump and Bolton, who is easily recognized in public by his white, bushy mustache.

“You wanted a better deal with Iran. Looks like you are going to get a war instead. That’s what happens when you listen to the mustache,” the Iranian adviser said.

Iran dismisses possibility of conflict, says does not want war
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1129757597244960768

Side Note:
Asia Pacific|Violence Involving ISIS Prisoners Leaves Dozens Dead at Tajikistan Prison
DUSHANBE, Tajikistan — Three guards and 29 inmates were killed in an outbreak of violence involving Islamic State militants at a high-security prison in Tajikistan, the Justice Ministry said on Monday.

The ministry said rioting broke out late Sunday at the prison in Vakhdat, about six miles east of the capital, Dushanbe, after militants armed with knives killed the guards and five fellow prisoners. Security forces responded to the violence, killing 24 militants and restoring order at the prison, which holds 1,500 inmates, the ministry added.

Two of the prisoners who were killed were senior members of the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan, an Islamist party outlawed by the government of President Imomali Rakhmon in 2015. Another was a prominent Tajik cleric who had been convicted on charges of calls to overthrow the government.

One of the instigators of the riot was Bekhruz Gulmurod, a son of Gulmurod Khalimov, a Tajik special forces colonel who joined the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, in 2015 and, according to the Justice Ministry, has since been killed in Syria. The fate of Bekhruz Gulmurod after the riots was not publicly known.

Hundreds of people from Tajikistan, an impoverished former Soviet republic of nine million, are believed to have joined Islamic State, which at one point controlled large swathes of land in Syria and Iraq.

The group, which has now lost its territorial holdings but continues to pose a threat, claimed responsibility for another prison riot in Tajikistan in November, an uprising that followed a deadly attack by its followers on Western tourists in Tajikistan in July 2018.

The country, which borders Afghanistan, fought against Islamists allied with nationalists and liberal democrats in a civil war in the 1990s that killed tens of thousands of people.

Mr. Rakhmon is the longest-serving ruler among members of what was the Soviet Union, having taken power shortly after independence in 1991, and he tolerates little dissent.

Translated from Arabic by Microsoft
#التغطية_مستمرة Iran Iran Atomic Energy Authority: Iran decides to increase its production of low-enriched uranium to 4 times We have no intention of withdrawing from the nuclear deal, and we have informed the International Energy Agency of this step.

MAP

This Tweet channel was launched 2019 May. I wounder if it's a CIA production ? :rolleyes:

Media of the Armed Forces of Iran
#IRGC # Test # Corps_Position # Aerospace # Rocket # Insurrection # Ballistic # Silo # City_Muschi #Qiam #Missile #Sepah #IRAN
Translated from Persian by Microsoft
Great cartoons.

Translated from Persian by Microsoft
Antishipping to Jerusalem 1-Pacific Corps Download quality Full HD at: رزمایش پهپادی الی بیت المقدس 1 سپاه پاسداران #رزمایش #پهپاد #الی_بیت_المقدس #سپاه_پاسداران #

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he doubted that the United States needs to send more U.S. troops to the Middle East to counter Iran as he prepared to meet Pentagon officials to discuss it later in the day.

Trump doubts U.S. needs to send more troops to Middle East May 23, 2019
U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to reporters on a range of issues during an event devoted to America's farmers and ranchers in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., May 23, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
President Donald Trump said on Thursday he did not think additional U.S. troops are needed in the Middle East to counter Iran, casting doubt on a Pentagon plan to bolster forces in the region.

Pentagon mulling military request to send 5,000 troops to Middle East: officials
FILE PHOTO: The U.S. Navy amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge and the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge sail in the Arabian Sea May 17, 2019. U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Brian M. Wilbur/Handout via REUTERS.

The U.S. Department of Defense is considering a U.S. military request to send about 5,000 additional troops to the Middle East amid increasing tensions with Iran, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Wednesday.

Pentagon confirms it is weighing sending more troops to Middle East
Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan on Thursday confirmed that the Pentagon was considering sending additional U.S. troops to the Middle East as one of the ways to bolster protection for American forces there amid tensions with Iran.

Iran says it will not surrender even if it is bombed
FILE PHOTO: Iranian Revolutionary Guards speed boats are seen near the USS John C. Stennis CVN-74 (not pictured) as it makes its way to gulf through strait of Hormuz, December 21, 2018. REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed/File Photo

Iran will not surrender to U.S. pressure and will not abandon its goals even if it is bombed, President Hassan Rouhani said on Thursday, stepping up the war of words between the Islamic Republic and the United States.

Iran tells German envoy its patience is over: Fars
Iran told a German envoy seeking to preserve the 2015 nuclear deal that its patience was over and urged the treaty's remaining signatories to fulfill their commitments after the United States pulled out, the Fars news agency reported on Thursday.

French court approves extradition of Iranian engineer to U.S.
A French court approved the extradition of an Iranian engineer to the United States to face charges of attempting to illegally import U.S. technology for military purposes on behalf of an Iranian company, a judicial source said on Thursday.

Iran youth will witness demise of Israel, 'American civilization': Khamenei
FILE PHOTO - Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei speaks during Friday prayers in Tehran September 14, 2007. REUTERS/Morteza Nikoubazl/File Photo

Iran's youth will witness the demise of Israel and American civilization, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday in comments published on his official website.

U.S. does not dare attack Iran: Revolutionary Guards commander
The United States and its supporters do not dare attack Iran because of its "spirit of resistance", a senior Revolutionary Guards commander was quoted on Wednesday as saying.

Iran in complete control of waters north of Strait of Hormuz: Revolutionary Guards commander
A senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander said on Wednesday that Guards and regular Iranian military forces had complete control of Gulf waters north of the Strait of Hormuz, according to the semi-official Fars news agency.

Turkey stopped purchasing Iranian oil as of May: Turkish official
FILE PHOTO: Oil tankers pass through the Strait of Hormuz, December 21, 2018. REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed - RC1F33C0B450/File Photo

Turkey stopped purchasing Iranian oil as of May as U.S. waivers granted last November to eight buyers expired, and will continue to abide by Washington's demand that it halt all imports of crude oil from the Islamic Republic, a senior Turkish official said on Wednesday.

Iranians tense and apprehensive as whispers of war spread
Iranian and U.S. leaders have reassured their nations that they do not seek war. But among ordinary Iranians who already face hardship from tightening sanctions, nerves are being strained by worry that the situation could slip out of control.

The Joker's - say one thing - do the opposite!
U.S. officials seek to tamp down Trump rhetoric on Iran
Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, left, and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speak to reporters after briefing senators on Iran in Washington, U.S., May 21, 2019. REUTERS/James Lawler Duggan

U.S. officials who briefed Congress about Iran on Tuesday sought to convince lawmakers that President Donald Trump's administration wants to deter Tehran's aggression, not attack the Islamic republic, members of Congress said.

Shanahan says after Iran briefing U.S. deployment has deterred attacks
Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said on Tuesday after briefing lawmakers on the threat from Iran that the United States had deterred possible attacks by deploying forces to the region.

U.S. Senator Graham: attacks on ships in Middle East coordinated by Iran
FILE PHOTO - Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee Lindsey Graham (R-SC) speaks before a Senate Appropriations Subcommittee hearing on the proposed budget estimates and justification for FY2020 for the State Department on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., April 9, 2019. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

Republican U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham said on Tuesday that top administration officials told senators in a briefing the recent attacks on shipping and a pipeline in the Middle East was directed by the Iranian government and the ayatollah.

Saudi cabinet affirms desire to avoid war, stabilize oil markets
Saudi Arabia's council of ministers reiterated the country's commitment to balancing global oil markets and preventing regional conflict amid tensions between Iran and the United States, state media reported on Wednesday.

Britain tells Iran: Do not provoke the United States or Trump will retaliate
The U.S. Navy Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge and the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge sail alongside the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea May 17, 2019. Picture taken May 17, 2019. US Navy/Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Michael Singley/Handout via REUTERS.

Britain told Iran on Monday not to underestimate the resolve of the United States, warning that if American interests were attacked then the administration of President Donald Trump would retaliate.

Trump administration may use Iran threat to sell bombs to Saudis without Congress' approval: senator
FILE PHOTO - Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) speaks after the senate voted on a resolution ending U.S. military support for the war in Yemen on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., December 13, 2018.      REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

U.S. President Donald Trump's administration plans to use a loophole and rising tensions with Iran to sell bombs to Saudi Arabia, even though Congress blocked such sales for months over concerns about civilian deaths in the war in Yemen, Senator Chris Murphy said on Wednesday.

US looking for reason to start direct confrontation with Iran, diplomat says
1221678.jpg

© EPA-EFE/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH

MOSCOW, May 23, 2019 - Washington is provoking Tehran to sternly retaliate, trying to look for a reason for direct confrontation, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said at a briefing on Thursday.

"The United States is escalating the situation by sending aircraft carriers and bombers to the Persian Gulf region. These actions are accompanied by war-mongering statements and groundless and unproven accusations addressed to Iran saying that the country is involved in some sabotaging operations on the adjacent territories and posing threats to American diplomats in the neighboring Iraq," Zakharova pointed out.

"It seems that by adopting sanctions, applying military pressure and resorting to sharp and aggressive rhetoric, Washington is deliberately provoking Iran into sterner retaliation measures and looking for a reason to engage in direct confrontation. This is a very dangerous policy. Not only is it destroying the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) on the Iranian nuclear program, but also can result in broader destabilization across the whole Middle Eastern Region," the diplomat stressed.

Andrew Korybko gave an extended interview to the newspaper “Farheekhtegan” about the US’ Hybrid War on Iran, specifically emphasizing the urgent need for the Islamic Republic to prioritize the creation of the Golden Ring of Multipolar Great Powers as the most realistic form of sanctions relief under these increasingly difficult conditions.

Korybko To Iranian Media: “Now’s The Time To Build The Golden Ring!”
Korybko To Iranian Media: "Now's The Time To Build The Golden Ring!" - Eurasia Future

How can regional countries help alleviate the sanctions pressure on Iran?
The best option for Iran is to immediately intensify relations with all of its neighbors, specifically Russia, Turkey, Iraq, and Pakistan, but with a view to multilateralizing them through the same integrational platform. The most realistic starting point would be to revive the Old Cold War-era CENTO but in a multipolar economic format and expand it to include Russia as an obvious replacement for the UK. The larger vision to be pursued should be the Golden Ring of Multipolar Great Powers between Iran, Pakistan, Turkey, Russia, and China, with an emphasis on the first three mentioned Muslim countries plus Iraq in order to establish a belt of stability along the South Eurasian Rimland. There are obvious limits to how far and fast these interconnected structures can develop given the vulnerability that certain members may have to the US’ sanctions pressure, but it should nevertheless be urgently prioritized by Iran as soon as possible.

How likely is it that the US will attack Iran?
Trump has mastered the so-called “madman theory” of feigning craziness for calculated strategic purposes similar to what Nixon did during the Old Cold War but in a much more believable way given his reality TV and social media experience. While a war by miscalculation or one provoked by rogue “deep state” factions through false flags can never be fully discounted, it looks unlikely that such a scenario will transpire. Instead, Trump is resorting to bombastic threats in order to scare his country’s regional vassal states into buying more American arms, as well as manipulatively make other ones elsewhere in Eurasia believe that the US will staunchly support them against Russia and China too when the time is right.

How does the Trump Administration’s use of economic pressure differ from its predecessors’ weaponization of political and humanitarian issues?
Trump’s use of sanctions as his administration’s premier Hybrid War weapon is actually much more effective than anything that his predecessors wielded because it fully exploits America’s role as the world’s most important economy and the fact that the dollar is still by far the world’s top reserve currency. Simply put, while sanctions might not have that direct of an impact on countries largely disconnected from the American-run global economy, their real value is in getting others to comply with them through the threat of so-called “secondary sanctions” aimed at punishing those who defy its primary ones.

Practically no Western company and most Eastern ones too to be frank want to lose access to the American marketplace or have sanctions applied against them in response that thenceforth make them “untouchable” by their peers for the very same reason. The cumulative effect of this strategy is that it aims to achieve the almost complete economic isolation of its primary target, which is intended to collapse its economy and trigger a self-sustaining cycle of domestic unrest through Color Revolutions, military coup attempts, and the onset of Unconventional Warfare (terrorism, insurgence, rebellions, etc).

What should Iran do in response?
Iran must immediately talk to its main regional and global partners in order to see which of their companies are willing to defy America’s sanctions regime and accept its resultant consequences, though it should be forewarned that its “friends” might put pressure on it to offer them lopsided economic deals in exchange for taking on such enormous risks. While unfair, Iran might be compelled to compromise and agree to this in some instances if the US’ sanctions pressure is becoming unbearable and it desperately needs a sanctions valve as soon as possible. That’s why the interconnected Multipolar CENTO and Golden Ring concepts are such valuable platforms because they could bring all relevant stakeholders together at the same time to bargain between themselves and hopefully facilitate a solution for Iran sooner than if they hadn’t assembled through those structures at all.

Why won’t the US invade Iran like it did Iraq?
Launching a large-scale conventional assault on Iran like it did against Iraq would be unacceptably costly in all senses — military, economic, political, strategic, etc. Iran has the capabilities to inflict massive retaliatory damage to America’s regional bases and aircraft carriers, “Israel”, and the Gulf Kingdoms, which is why the US understands that going to war with it would be a fight to the death for all parties involved, something that its “Israeli” and Gulf allies aren’t prepared for. That said, if the US was able to neutralize Iran’s missile capabilities which act as its means of ensuring “Mutually Assured Destruction” through the massive rollout of anti-missile systems in the region, then it might feel confident enough to strike first if it thinks that any second/retaliatory strike could realistically be dealt with.

What is the US trying to achieve through its Hybrid War on Iran?
Iran is the most powerful regional country in the Mideast because of the combination of its conventional and unconventional capabilities. Its standard military forces and supplementary IRGC are fearsome enough to make its adversaries think twice about striking it, whereas its far-reaching network of influence through the Resistance is capable of striking behind enemy lines if the need ever arises. In addition, it’s actually this second-mentioned capability that the US is most afraid of because it ensures that the US-“Israeli”-Gulf trilateral alliance is unable to fully control the Mideast, hence the need to destabilize the Resistance’s strongest member through the sanctions-driven Hybrid War.

The timing of this campaign isn’t random either because Trump knows that he must first weaken Iran if his so-called “Deal of the Century” is to stand any chance of even partially succeeding once it’s officially rolled out later this summer. From the American “wishful thinking” perspective, the Iranian people’s domestic resistance might finally crack under the right amount of pressure, therefore prompting the government to capitulate to the US’ pressure campaign and enact the regional concessions that are demanded of it, though the moment that happens, it should be expected that the US will only intensify the pressure on its rival in order to take advantage of its weakness and attempt to pull off its long-sought-after regime change against it.

The Pentagon is insisting that everything is Iran's fault. Adm. Michael Gilday, director of the Joint Staff, says “the leadership of Iran at the highest level” ordered attacks and acts of sabotage in the region against US and Saudi interests. One wonders how he would know it was Iran, and that the order came from the highest levels, no less. Did the Ayatollah tell him so in confidence? He added: “Even more troubling: We have had multiple credible reports that Iranian proxy groups intend to attack U.S. personnel in the Middle East.” "Credible", he says. He probably made that up on the spot. Anyway, here's the article:

“We (Americans) have hundreds of billions of dollars worth of arms sales to sell to the Saudis and to the Emiratis,” Yaghoubian said, adding that “this is all about American jobs.”

According to the professor, US military presence and arms sales in the Middle East are unfortunately critical elements of the “American economy” and “political campaigning.”

Sad to say it mostly has always been the desire for jobs and a strong economy that has driven U.S. voters' choices. There is no moral compass beyond the pay check. Jobs are basic for raising families but that applies to any country around the world. American "exceptionalism" is ugly beyond words and there is going to be hell to pay I think.

The damage being done by the MIC will just continue unless some "death throes" start to kick in.

'A one-time event': The US will sale its 'democratic ' weapons for 'enhancing the stability' in the Middle East ... Another good bargain? :-)

Pompeo confirms $8.1bn arms sales to Arab nations without Congress approval to 'deter Iran'
24 May, 2019

Indeed! There is always a chance for a good bargain: 'Making tensions for selling weapons to the 'allies' while they are awaiting the US to attack the Iran.' :-)

Trump says there is ‘always a chance’ of war with Iran
5 Jun, 2019

Back
Top Bottom