Iran

The Saker's analysis of the Iran nuclear deal and surrounding issues (originally written for Unz Review):

http://thesaker.is/so-what-is-the-real-deal-with-iran/

This column was written for the Unz Review:
http://www.unz.com/tsaker/so-what-is-the-real-deal-with-iran/

I have to begin this column with a mea culpa: I have been predicting a US attack on Iran since at least 2007 and so far, I have been completely wrong. The attack never happened. What I did get right, at least I hope so, are the reasons why this attack has failed to materialize, at least so far. In purely military terms, an attack on Iran could not succeed because Iran had too many asymmetrical counter-attack options . But the real reason behind the failure of a US attack on Iran are buried in a mountain of myths surrounding the Iranian nuclear issue. What I propose to do today is to take a look at the biggest one of these myths.

The Myth: Iran was working on a military nuclear program

This, of course, is the main myth, the cornerstone of all the other nonsense written about Iran. The resilience of this myth is based on a simple factor – it is impossible to prove a negative. Just as Iraq could not prove that it had no WMD, Iran cannot prove that it does not have a military nuclear program. The US intelligence community showed a rather amazing level of courage when in spite of the immense Neocon pressure to endorse this myth it concluded in the 2007 NIE that Iran had had a nuclear program in the past, but stopped working on it. Still, common sense provides us with what I would call “overwhelming circumstantial evidence” that Iran has no intentions to develop a nuclear weapon.

For one thing, actually developing a nuclear weapon would not allow Iran to use it, least of all against Israel. Besides the actual nuke, a nuclear weapons capability implies having all of the following:

The possibility to test the nuclear weapon (untested it is useless)
A delivery system (missile, aircraft)
The ability to protect the nuclear weapon and the delivery system from a preemptive disarming attack
Most importantly – a warfighting strategy, a military doctrine on how to use such a capability.

The fact is that Iran could not test a nuke without the rest of the planet knowing about it. Iran does not have a reliable and survivable delivery system and, most importantly, Iran cannot hope to use a nuclear weapon against the USA or Israel without suffering a devastating retaliatory strike. Keep in mind that if the Israel military does not have the means to significantly hurt Iran with conventional weapons, it most definitely does have the means to do so with the large and sophisticated Israeli nuclear capability. In other words, to use nukes for Iran would be suicidal.

Supporters of the Iranian nuclear weapons myth often point out at the DPRK as the “proof” that nukes can protect against Uncle Sam. The problem is that these people overlook a crucial difference: the capital of South Korea – Seoul – is within artillery range of the DPRK’s military and the DPRK has a huge conventional military which, while aging and relatively unsophisticated, can inflict terrible damage on South Korea and the US forces deployed there. According to Wikipedia , the DPRK has 9,495,000 active, reserve, and paramilitary personnel ( including 180’000 special forces ) making it the largest military organization on Earth. And this force is literally within walking distance to Seoul! In contrast, Iran has absolutely no power projection capabilities which would make it possible to attack Israel.

When cornered with logical arguments, the supporters of the Iranian military nuclear program myth with fall back on the over-used cliché about “Muslims being fanatics”, willing to “die for Allah” and all the rest of the Islam-bashing idiocy fed by the corporate media. The problem with that is that there is exactly zero evidence showing the putative “insanity” of the Iranian leaders (no, Ahmadinejad never said that Iran would wipe Israel off the map ). In fact, considering that since 1979 the USA has done everything imaginable to overthrow the Islamic Republic or, at least, creating a pretext to attack it, I would argue that the Iranians are extremely sophisticated and highly intelligent people. The way Iran used the US Neocons to get the USA to attack Iraq (the worst enemy of Iran) instead of Iran is nothing short of brilliant. No, the Iranians are not crazy at all, they know that having a nuclear weapon would do nothing to protect Iran and they know that they could never use it without facing the end of the Islamic Republic. Besides, those who believe that Muslims are somehow prone to suicidal insanity did not propose to bomb Pakistan when it acquired the first “Islamic bomb” – so why is Iran singled out?

The reality: Iran is a civilizational threat to the Hegemony of the USA, to Israel and to the KSA

This is the real reason for all the tensions, saber-rattling and hysteria: Iran represents a huge political, social, economic, religious and even civilizational threat to the USA, Israel and the Saudis. Unlike the obscurantist and totalitarian Saudi regime, the Islamic Republic is a democracy, albeit an Islamic one, which is socially progressive and which has achieved tremendous economic, scientific and social successes in extremely hard circumstances ranging from US economic and political sanctions to an devastating seven year long war against Iraq (which was fully backed and armed to the teeth by the USA, the Soviet Union and France). Oh sure, Iran is hardly a prefect society, but compared to the rest of the Middle-East it is truly a heaven on earth. The fact that Iran could achieve this in open and total defiance of both the USA and Israel is absolutely unacceptable for the AngloZionist Empire. That alone is a reason to want to do to Iran what was recently done to Libya and Syria. As for the Saudis, not only does their medieval Wahabi kingdom look outright barbaric when compared to Iran, they also have a seizable Shia minority living almost exactly where the largest Saudi oil fields are. In fact, by some irony of fate, if you look at a map of the KSA or Iraq you will see that the Shias almost always live right over the richest oil fields in the region. Finally, Iran is a natural ally of the Alawi regime in Syria and, especially, of Hezbollah in Lebanon.

One aspect of the successes of the Islamic Republic is that Iran was, and still is, working on a civilian nuclear program. First, Iran has always needed an alternative source of energy and this is why, as early as in the 1950s, the USA provided Iran with civilian nuclear technologies under the Atoms for Peace program . Second, Iran is also engaged in nuclear research, including medical, and having a civilian nuclear research program is an immense source of prestige. But even more importantly, the Iranian nuclear program has become a symbol of sovereignty. Uncle Sam says “no, you cannot” and Iran replies “yes we can, and we will”. This is the real “crime” Iran is truly guilty of: defying the AngloZionist hegemony over the Middle-East.

There could be many reasons why the USA has signed on on this P5+1 deal with Iran. They range from simple “imperial fatigue” to a desire by Obama to have something to show for his (otherwise absolutely catastrophic) Presidency. It could also be the case that the US security establishment simply made the (correct) call and concluded that the USA cannot afford to have a war with Iran. Whatever may be the case, the fact that this deal was inked at all is an extremely good, if provisional, outcome.

Potentially, Iran could play a crucial and highly beneficial role in the Middle-East, first and foremost, as the only country capable of seriously taking on Daesh (aka IS/ISIS) and stabilizing Iraq. True, as long as the US continues to support al-Qaeda in Syria, the horrors will continue. In fact, some particularly devious CIA analyst might argue that empowering Iran might make the overthrow of Syrian regime less dangerous because even if Damascus falls to al-Qaeda Iran would have the power to contain it. Whatever may be the case, currently only Iran and Hezbollah are preventing Daesh from overrunning the rest of the region. Thus I would not put it past the CIA & Co. to ease the pressure on Iran, even temporarily, to “squeeze” a Daesh clearly run amok (helping both sides in a conflict is a time-honored Anglo tradition).

Here I can to come back to my opening mea culpa. I have been predicting a US attack on Iran for years and instead of an attack we now have a Joint Comprehensive Action Plan between the Iran and the P5+1 . I will gladly admit that I am as delighted as I am skeptical about this. I am delighted because if the deal holds, it would actually make sense and defuses a needlessly dangerous situation. But I am also very, very skeptical. When I look at the hysterical reaction of the Israel Lobby in the USA I have a hard time imagining this deal being upheld by the USA. After all, if the Neocons do not currently have a full control of the White House, they most definitely control Congress the the US corporate media. And the fact that most US Jews do, in reality, support the deal with Iran will not stop them. As I have said it many times, Zionism is not an ethnicity, it is an ideology , and American Jews have no more influence over the 1%er regime in power than American non-Jews. As for the 1%ers – they are loyal only to themselves. So will the Ziocrazies succeed in derailing the deal with Iran? I honestly don’t know, but I have to confess that I am not an optimist by nature.

The Saker

Looks like more information is coming out in the open - I don't remember reading anything in the news about this incident, which happened back in July 2014 and now being reported in Iranian news?

MP: Washington Post reporter part of plot to oust Iran gov’t
http://iran-daily.com/News/128296.html

The Washington Post’s correspondent in Tehran, Jason Rezaian, was part of a scheme to overthrow the Iranian government, says an Iranian MP.

Citing a report by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC)’s Intelligence Department, Nozar Shafi’i the spokesman for the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of the Iranian Parliament (Majlis) said on Sunday that Rezaian was tasked with implementing a scenario orchestrated by a group of US Senators who believe that if the US can revive the relations it had with Tehran before the 1979 Islamic Revolution, the Iranian government could easily be toppled.

As mentioned in the report, said Shafi’i, Rezaian is an American national of Iranian origin, and a “very important element” for Washington, “so much so that the Americans are trying hard to secure his release.”

Rezaian was arrested in Iran on July 22, 2014 on charges of espionage, collaborating with hostile governments, gathering classified information and disseminating propaganda against the Islamic Republic. US officials have been pushing for Rezaian’s release ever since he was taken into custody.

Rezaian, a 39-year-old correspondent with a dual Iran-US citizenship, was apprehended along with his wife, Yeganeh Salehi, in the Iranian capital, Tehran.

Jason’s wife, who worked as a correspondent for the UAE-based newspaper National, was released on bail in October 2014.

I hope he was paid well. It's a dangerous business being a spy. Probably best not to stand out.

Streamed live 2 hours ago

https://youtu.be/hjEnHRxIcHw
ISIL/Daesh claims responsibility for Tehran attacks
6-7-17
Gunmen have stormed Iran’s parliament and the mausoleum of Imam Khomeini in two seemingly coordinated attacks in Tehran.
Officials say four attackers armed with automatic rifles and pistols made their way into the parliament, shooting indiscriminately. The gunfire reportedly left one security guard dead and several other people injured. Reports say shooting continues at the legislative chamber with security forces exchanging fire with the armed men. The parliament session is, however, underway. In another incident, four attackers burst into the shrine of Ayatollah Khomeini with firearms. One attacker blew explosives, following the shooting. At least one person got killed in the attack. Iran’s Interior Ministry is holding a security meeting in the wake of the bloody incidents.

Iran Daily
Health Minister Advisor confirmed that two of the total 38 people wounded in Tehran terror attacks died at hospital.
http://www.iran-daily.com/News/194294.html
The total number of the wounded reached 38, including the two who died at hospitals, Abbass Zarenejad told IRNA
The injured people are being treated at four hospitals in Tehran, according to him.

Armed men in two terrorist attacks in the Iranian parliament (Majlis) and Imam Khomeini’s Mausoleum (20 km south of Tehran) opened fire on people, with one female suicide assailant detonating herself outside the mausoleum.

Health Minister Seyyed Hassan Hashemi, who was visiting the injured victims of the terrorist incident at the hospitals, ordered all the medical centers in Tehran to be on call, as the number of victims may rise.

Meanwhile, Deputy Interior Minister Hossein Zolfaqari said that the terrorists had entered the parliament in women dress.

Daesh (the terrorist group ISIS) has reportedly claimed the responsibility of the attacks.

Iran Press TV (Video) Live Updates
http://217.218.67.231/Detail/2017/06/07/524450/Iran-Parliament
Iran’s Parliament (Majlis) and the Mausoleum of the late founder of the Islamic Republic Imam Khomeini in the capital Tehran have come under terrorist attack.
At least four gunmen reportedly intruded into the premises of the Majlis, opening fire on the security guards there. The assailants were all killed by security forces following the attack.

The assault has forced a lockdown on the legislature.

According to reports, a dozen people were killed in the attacks while another 35 were injured and admitted to the hospital to receive treatment.

Tehran MP Elias Hazrati has said that the assailants were armed with two Kalashnikovs and a handgun.

According to lawmaker Mehdi Kiaee, the situation is under control inside the parliament, while security forces are working to restore calm there.

As seen in the footage below, Anti-Terror Special Forces have been deployed to the Majlis.

Tasnim said in an update that the hostage rescue team of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has arrested two “terrorists” in the Imam Khomeini Mausoleum.

The IRGC hostage rescue forces also killed one assailant at the parliament, according to Tasnim.

An Interior Ministry source said a suicide bomber has blown himself up on the fourth floor of the parliament building, where he was holed up.

Separately, Fars said in a Twitter post that three gunmen attacked the Imam Khomeini Mausoleum in Tehran, opening fire on people inside and wounding a number of them.

The report said one of the assailants has been killed, another has blown himself up and a third one has been injured.

Informed sources say a suicide bomber’s explosive vest has also been discovered and deactivated in the vicinity of the mausoleum.

Iran’s state television quoted an Intelligence Ministry source as saying that the twin attacks in Tehran were being treated as terrorist incidents.

IRNA cited an official with the Intelligence Ministry’s Counterterrorism Department as saying that several terrorist teams had entered the capital earlier in the day.

One of the terrorist teams was busted before managing to stage any attacks, while two others attacked the parliament building and the mausoleum. At the shrine, one bomber was killed before setting off his explosives, but another managed to blow himself up.

http://217.218.67.233//photo/20170607/3406fe3e-800e-4b04-bd74-31ce26e66c15.jpg
The photo released by Jamaran News shows the moment of a blast at the western entrance of the Imam Khomeini Mausoleum, southern Tehran, June 7, 2017.

The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

While most terrorist attacks in the last decade have targeted civilians going about their daily lives, with the obvious intent of horrifying the population, this attack seems to be aimed more at the Iranian government (Parliament) and identity (mausoleum) themselves. This should be a hint as to who is really behind it and what the message is. And this happens in the context of Saudi Arabia and others throwing Qatar under the bus, supposedly because of its support to terrorism, but more likely because of an apparent recent understanding between Qatar and Iran.

Hi SocietyoftheSpectacle,

Did you notice the date of the article you mention ? It says: January 7, 2016.

In other words: rather old news, probably with no direct bearing on the current situation.

The attacks have left 12 killed and 43 wounded so far. :( There's an article about it with updates on SOTT, here:
Dozens of fatalities & injuries after shootings, bombings at Iranian parliament & Khomeini shrine - UPDATES

Added: Also see Joe's latest SOTT article 'Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Islamic Terrorism and the Anglo-American Establishment':

In the last year, however, the chimerical Qatari royals appear to have finally accepted that Assad isn't going anywhere and Russia is in the Middle East to stay. So what may really be spooking the Saudis and their Western allies of late is not just the prospect of an Iran/Syria/Russia alliance in the Middle East, but one that includes the Qataris and their massive gas reserves.

So you can start to see why during his Saudi trip Trump called on "all nations of conscience to isolate Iran" and why the Saudis recently took a step in that direction by threatening the Qataris. You can also understand why today jihadis (no doubt funded by the Saudis) killed 12 people in an attack in Tehran, and why the Iranians immediately blamed the Saudis. And, to round out the farce, when the Qataris responded to Saudi accusations of 'funding terrorism' by stating that a Qatari news channel had been hacked and a fake story planted linking the Qatari royals to Iran, the temptation was too much for the US 'deep state' to bear, and via their official propaganda channel - CNN - they permitted 'unnamed sources' to reveal that the Russians were behind the Qatari 'hack'.

As I've written about on several occasions, terrorism is being used as a foil for the war over who will control Middle Eastern natural resources and therefore, who will 'control the world'. The anglo-American establishment has long since thrown its lot in with the Saudi headchoppers who sit on the largest oil reserves and production facilities in the world. American firepower and Saudi oil has made it possible for the West to reign supreme for many decades. But that era appears to be rapidly coming to a close.

Sadly, there is little hope that the 'exceptional' anglo-American establishment and their head-chopping ideological brothers will bow out gracefully. No indeed, their approach seems to be similar to the one portrayed by the quintessential power-mad tyrant as represented in literature throughout the ages - you know, the guy who, when faced with his inevitable fall from power and grace, decides something along the lines of 'if I can't have it, no one can!' How very cliché of them.

Check out Trump's statement on the terror attacks in Iran:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/06/07/statement-president-terrorist-attacks-iran

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
June 07, 2017
Statement by the President on the Terrorist Attacks in Iran

We grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks in Iran, and for the Iranian people, who are going through such challenging times. We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote.

:shock:

So he went to the Evil Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, danced with swords and held the glowing orb, and hypocritically condemned Iran for sponsoring terrorism, all the time knowing that Saudi Arabia is one of the main sponsors of terrorism, if not the main one, on a global scale. And in spite of knowing it was all a charade, he didn't have the decency to think twice before injustly blaming the victims on the day they are going through the trauma of a double terror attack?? WTH?! :mad: Very low! Or is he really so stupid as to think that the Saudis are innocent in spite of all the evidence and that the attacks were entirely a consequence of Iran promoting terrorism??

In wishful-thinking-mode, one could interpret Trump subtly hinting at Saudi-Arabia as being a state that sponsors terrorism, or that he is tweeting that only for appearance. But I don't think he's that clever, he is no Putin, after all. ;D

Windmill knight said:
Very low! Or is he really so stupid as to think that the Saudis are innocent in spite of all the evidence and that the attacks were entirely a consequence of Iran promoting terrorism??

I don't think he is that stupid and it indeed is a low statement. I'm assuming it is a tactical statement to "show his support" for the Saudis and Israelis and their puppets in the US.

Latest news; Turkey is backing Qatar and sending troops:

_https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-07/turkey-chooses-sides-in-gulf-conflict-as-erdogan-defends-qatar

Wonder how the relationship between Iran and Qatar plays into it? The beginning of an alliance against the Saudis and their backers in the US, Israel and elsewhere in the region?

The Iranians weren't happy with Trump's statement.

https://www.rt.com/news/391327-iran-trump-condolences-repugnant/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

‘Repugnant’: Iran slams Trump’s condolences to Tehran attacks victims

Published time: 8 Jun, 2017 08:53
Edited time: 8 Jun, 2017 10:06

Iran’s foreign minister has branded condolences sent by the White House over recent Tehran attacks as “repugnant.” The US administration sent sympathies to Iran, but lectured that “states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote.”

“Repugnant White House statement … as Iranians counter terrorism backed by US clients. Iranian people reject such US claims of friendship,” Zarif tweeted.

At least 13 people died and dozens were injured in gun and bomb attacks at the Iranian parliament and Ayatollah Khomeini’s shrine in Tehran on Wednesday. The attacks were claimed by Islamic state (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL), said Amaq news agency, which is affiliated with the terrorists.

The five attackers were Iranian citizens who had joined IS before returning to Iran in summer 2016, the Iranian Intelligence Ministry confirmed on Thursday.

“The five known terrorists... after joining the IS terrorist group, left the country and participated in crimes carried out by this terrorist group in Mosul and Raqqa,” the ministry said.

On Wednesday evening, the White House sent condolences to Iran, including the controversial cautionary note.

“We grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks in Iran, and for the Iranian people, who are going through such challenging times,” the White House said in a statement. “We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote.”

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards [IRGC] accused Saudi Arabia of masterminding the attacks, saying that the assaults “happened only a week after the meeting between the US president [Donald Trump] and the [Saudi] backward leaders who support terrorists.”

Brigadier General Hossein Salami, IRGC deputy commander, vowed to “take revenge” for the attacks.

“Let there be no doubt that we will take revenge for today's attacks in Tehran, on terrorists, their affiliates and their supporters,” he said, Mehr news agency reported.

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister, Adel Al-Jubeir, rejected Tehran’s accusations.

“We condemn terrorist attacks anywhere they occur and we condemn the killing of the innocent anywhere it occurs,” Jubeir said.

According to the director of the Crisis Research Institute, Mark Almond, it is highly possible IS was, as it claims, behind the attacks in Iran as the group is interested in stirring up a Sunni-Shiite conflict. However, other groups and regional player involvement can’t be ruled out, he added.

“ISIS has an interest in stirring up a Sunni-Shiite conflict. Iran is the major Shia power in the Muslim world, and there are big tensions between Iran and its Sunni neighbors – particularly Saudi Arabia,” he told RT.

Middle East expert Catherine Shakdam told RT that she is confident there is “more than a connection” between the attacks and Saudi Arabia.

“We have to stop tiptoeing around the idea that Saudi Arabia has nothing to do with ISIS. If anything ISIS is the weapon that Saudi Arabia has wielded around the world to promote its agenda. ISIS has bred on Wahhabism. Wahhabism is the state religion of Saudi Arabia,” she said.

Here's a video of the moment the terrorists storm the visitors' hall in the Parliament. Warning: strong images; people are shot.

https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/872777116437417984

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The moment terrorists storm visitors' hall of Iran's parliament building <a href="https://t.co/EHvsaAXm1e">pic.twitter.com/EHvsaAXm1e</a></p>— Press TV (@PressTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/872777116437417984">June 8, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The mass protests that broke out across Iran earlier this week continue for a third day; two protesters have been killed amid the ongoing disturbances.

Iranian Protests: The Story So Far
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201712311060445300-iranian-protests-extent-casualties/

At least two protesters turned up dead as a result of the wave of civil disobedience that has gripped Iran since last Thursday.

Both men were killed in Doroud, a city in the Iranian province of Lorestan, with local authorities blaming foreign agents for this loss of life.

"No shots were fired by the police and security forces. We have found evidence of enemies of the revolution, Takfiri groups and foreign agents in this clash," deputy province governor Habibollah Khojastehpour told state television. "Takfiri" is the name that Iranian state media sources usually use to describe Sunni fundamentalists who target Shiites in Syria and elsewhere, such as Daesh (ISIS) and the Al Nusra Front.

The protests erupted on Thursday, December 28th and by the weekend they had already engulfed several cities across the country, including Tehran, with thousands of people coming forward to express their discontent.

The protesters have issued a variety of demands, such as calls for the ouster of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei and President Hassan Rouhani, to put an end to the military operations in Syria and to improve the country’s economy.

US President Donald Trump has insisted that the Iranian government "should respect their people’s rights, including the right to express themselves," adding that "the world is watching.” US State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the US “urges all nations to publicly support" the protesters.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson replied however that "Iranian people give no credit to the deceitful and opportunist remarks of US officials or Mr. Trump."

Iran’s police have arrested a total of 52 people for participating in an unauthorized rally in the northeast city of Mashhad and for the destruction of the state property, local media reported on Friday, citing a police chief of the Razavi Khorasan province.

Over 50 Participants of Unauthorized Rally Reportedly Detained in Iran (VIDEOS)
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201712291060414554-rally-iran-rouhani-protests-arrests/

Those detained took part in the rally, which was not approved by the authorities, the Mehr news agency reported, citing the authorities.

On Thursday, thousands of Iranians in several cities across the country took to the streets to protest against unemployment, poverty, and the rising cost of living, as well as policies of President Hassan Rouhani, and Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

In Mashhad, the Iranian security forces used tear gas against the demonstrators, according to media reports.

The unemployment rate in Iran stands at 12.7 percent, according to the World Bank data.

Iranian interior minister said vigilant Iranian people who care about the issues of order, security and law will foil any plots against the country.

Iranians to Pursue Rights through Legal Ways, Plots against Nation to Be Foiled: Minister
http://english.almanar.com.lb/417705

“The events and incidents in recent days have caused concern, unease and unhappiness for our dear people,” Abdolreza Rahmani-Fazli said on Sunday, in reaction to the recent incidents happening in some Iranian cities.

The atmosphere created recently will not be of benefit to the country’s security, production and employment, he added.

In recent years, different gatherings have been held by the people following the rules and regulations; then different branches of power in the country pursued their requests and tried to solve many of them, said the minister.

Those who damage the public property and create disorder are accountable to the law, Rahmani-Fazli said adding “they should be responsible for their misbehavior.”

He stressed that the government, Majlis (Parliament) and Judiciary are determined to follow up the people’s demands in order to solve their problems.

Iranian Administration’s Spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht unveiled plans to provide employment for more than 830,000 people in the next Iranian year.

Iranian Administration Pledges Push to Create Employment
http://english.almanar.com.lb/417661

Speaking at a television talk show on Saturday night, Nobakht said the administration expects to create jobs for 830,000 people in the next Iranian year, 70 percent of whom would be university-educated individuals.

According to the spokesman, the administration has allocated a remarkable amount of the next year’s national budget to job creation by investment in six major areas.

He also dismissed speculations about halting monthly cash payments under the subsidy reform plan, stressing that the number of beneficiaries of cash handout may even increase if the administration detects new eligible receivers and removes rich families from the list of cash receivers.

His comments came after a series of protests in a number of Iranian cities over the past days to complain about high costs of living and economic conditions.

The unrest in Iran is just “the beginning of a big movement” that could be more widespread than the demonstrations of 2009, the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Iranian lawyer Shirin Ebadi said in an interview Sunday.

Iran unrest ‘start of a big movement’: Nobel Peace Prize-winner Ebadi
http://www.arabnews.com/node/1216961/middle-east

“I think the protests are not going to end soon. It seems to me that we are witnessing the beginning of a big protest movement that can go well beyond the Green wave of 2009. It would not surprise me if it becomes something bigger,” said Ebadi to the Italian newspaper La Repubblica.

A third night of unrest in Iran saw mass demonstrations across the country in which two people were killed, dozens arrested and public buildings attacked.

The demonstrations are the biggest since the Green Movement protests of 2009 against the re-election of the ultra-conservative ex-president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, which were violently repressed.

But now the roots of anger are above all economic and social, according to Abadi, who now lives in exile in London.

“In Iran, and it is not new, there is a very serious economic crisis. The corruption in the whole country is at appalling levels. The end of certain sanctions related to the nuclear agreement with Europe and the United States in 2015 did not bring real benefits to the population, contrary to what many expected,” the lawyer said.

“Added to this is the fact that Iran has very high military expenditures. People are not willing to see so much money spent on it,” she added.

“Young people are the most disappointed,” Ebadi said, referring to the high unemployment, corruption and “the climate of censorship.”

“The economic situation and the frightening gap between the rich and the poor, between those who enjoy well-being and those who cannot, are at the root of the protest,” the 2003 Nobel Peace Prize-winner said.

angelburst29 said:
The mass protests that broke out across Iran earlier this week continue for a third day; two protesters have been killed amid the ongoing disturbances.

Iranian Protests: The Story So Far
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201712311060445300-iranian-protests-extent-casualties/

At least two protesters turned up dead as a result of the wave of civil disobedience that has gripped Iran since last Thursday.

Both men were killed in Doroud, a city in the Iranian province of Lorestan, with local authorities blaming foreign agents for this loss of life.

"No shots were fired by the police and security forces. We have found evidence of enemies of the revolution, Takfiri groups and foreign agents in this clash," deputy province governor Habibollah Khojastehpour told state television. "Takfiri" is the name that Iranian state media sources usually use to describe Sunni fundamentalists who target Shiites in Syria and elsewhere, such as Daesh (ISIS) and the Al Nusra Front.

Thank you for this new topic angelburst29! I've been coming across ongoing reports of ISIS fighters gathering in Afghanistan, right next door to Iran for a while:

January 2016: https://www.sott.net/article/310689-US-legislation-permitted-ISIS-expansion-in-Afghanistan
September 2016: https://www.sott.net/article/328233-Moscow-Increase-of-ISIS-presence-in-Afghanistan-is-a-threat-to-Russia-real-action-from-US-requested

And the continued evacuation of ISIS fighters by the US from Syria:
December 2017: https://www.sott.net/article/372693-The-US-continues-to-evacuate-IS-terrorists-from-Syria

RT also reports:

2 killed in protests across Iran overnight – local media: https://www.rt.com/news/414671-iran-protests-killed-reports/

At least two people taking part in pro- and anti-government rallies in Iran were killed overnight, local media reported, citing officials. These are the first fatalities attributed to the recent mass protests.

The deaths were reported in the city of Doroud (Dorud), 325 kilometers southwest of Tehran, in Iran’s western Lorestan Province, the semi-official Mehr News Agency reported. The unauthorized rally ignited clashes, Habibollah Khojastepour, the security deputy of Lorestan’s governor, told the agency, adding that two protesters were killed in the clashes.

“The gathering was to be ended peacefully, but due to the presence of the [agitators], unfortunately, this happened,” Khojastepour said. The official did not specify the causes of the deaths, adding that “no bullets were shot from police and security forces at the people.”

The ongoing protests across Iran started on Thursday as a demonstration against soaring food prices and unemployment, snowballing into the biggest anti-government movement in eight years.

Speaking to state TV, Khojastehpour said that those killed in Doroud were targeted by foreign agents, not the police, Reuters reports. “We have found evidence of enemies of the revolution, Takfiri [Sunni extremists] groups and foreign agents in this clash.”

Thousands of pro- and anti-government demonstrators have taken to the streets across Iran since Thursday. Anti-government protests were prompted mostly by discontent over economic hardship and alleged corruption. The crowds also aimed their anger at the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

“People are protesting because [they] are under economic pressure and the government must be responsive in the face of rising inflation and these economic hardships,” Mostafa Kiaie, a demonstrator, said, as cited by AFP.

Pro-government protests were held in around 1,200 cities and towns, local media reported. Mass pro-government protests took place in Tehran and Mashhad, Iran’s second most populous city.

The demonstrations were the most serious since the unrest back in 2009 that followed the Iranian presidential election results. The protesters disputed the victory of then-Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

On Sunday, Iran’s interior minister warned that “violence, fear and terror” will be battled following the third consecutive night of unrest. “Those who damage public property, disrupt the order and break the law must be responsible for their behaviour and pay the price,” Abdolrahman Rahmani Fazli said on state television, as cited by AFP.

I do wonder who those "agitators" mentioned in the bolded section were and where they were from, especially that the article from Sputnik you posted said:

No shots were fired by the police and security forces. We have found evidence of enemies of the revolution, Takfiri groups and foreign agents in this clash," deputy province governor Habibollah Khojastehpour told state television. "Takfiri" is the name that Iranian state media sources usually use to describe Sunni fundamentalists who target Shiites in Syria and elsewhere, such as Daesh (ISIS) and the Al Nusra Front.

Edit: dates added to links.

Back
Top Bottom