Is it harmful to be a blood donor?

Hmm, plenty of food for thought here. I didn't mean to siderail the conversation, but now know enough to start questioning myself when i see my thinking becoming rigid. Appreciate the feedback.

Gonzo

Hello, I was a regular blood donor for years until the mad cow hysteria stopped it. The ban on this has now been lifted and recently my severely vax injured friend who requires regular transfusions has asked if I can start donating again. Australia has been importing blood and he believes a lot of vaxxed donations are tossed out.

Also, an unvaxxed lady and her unborn child nearby will need a few units and I've volunteered to donate if I'm suitable.

My question is: Are the agencies involved in blood collection to be trusted? I'm not afraid of needles but I just don't trust any of them now! Additionally, the labs that test the blood may 'find' some condition that requires 'intervention'.

I know it sounds paranoid but, it's Australia and it's 2023!

Yes or no will suffice and I'd really appreciate you asking, I want to help. My injured friend needs plasma infusions simply to walk in crutches and control his bowels and bladder.

(Edit) Networking with the volunteers online ATM so far so good.

Thanks

I'm in Australia and I have been donating blood regularly (every 6 months), mainly as a way to control the body iron level. I haven't got any problem, either from the blood donation itself, or from the system that collects my blood.

It's not clear from your post whether your friend is asking for your donated blood/plasma directly, or just a general encouragement to donate blood because he is receiving plasma transfusions. If it is the former, I would definitely consider it. Otherwise, I would not change my donation schedule.

I'm in Australia and I have been donating blood regularly (every 6 months), mainly as a way to control the body iron level. I haven't got any problem, either from the blood donation itself, or from the system that collects my blood.

It's not clear from your post whether your friend is asking for your donated blood/plasma directly, or just a general encouragement to donate blood because he is receiving plasma transfusions. If it is the former, I would definitely consider it. Otherwise, I would not change my donation schedule.
That's good enough for me! Thanks!

Personally, I would if it was needed as in your case where it might help save your friend's life, or if I had a health condition that required it.

I go for blood tests every 3-6 months anyway to check everything is OK. It can be really helpful to catch things on blood tests before they develop into more serious issues, or just to monitor if any of the markers change when I change my diet/ supplements.

Overall I wouldn't be too paranoid about it, if they want your medical information they probably have ways of accessing it already. And if something needs an intervention it's worth remembering that you *should* have a choice as to whether you treat it or not, and maybe it could save your life! I'm not sure what tests they do in Australia, but the UK NHS says they only test blood donations for infections.

Back
Top Bottom