Israeli attack on Gaza

The entire story of the fake gun is most likely complete BS, as anyone with half a brain should see. Considering they live under the psychopathic occupation, and know all too well the bloodlust of the Israeli soldiers, does anyone actually believe a 17 year old enjoying his Birthday would basically commit suicide?

The poor guy, I can't help but cry when I see how happy he looks with his cake before getting shot dead hours later. Sums up this world quite nicely.

Is the "toughest alliance" under threat?

...if Michael Harris, former Republican candidate for governor of Arizona really said this :huh::

_http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/12/18/278706/israeli-squads-tied-to-newtown-carnage/

...and is this accurate:

_http://rt.com/usa/news/us-aircraft-stationed-turkey-236/

Last night my partner and i watched a Jewish American woman named Anna Baltzer present a slide show with her description of the issues of Palestine/Israel/Gaza. There is not a great deal that many here do not know, yet gave this video its due. Anna is with the IWPS and lived with Palestinians and documented the human rights abuses perpetrated by the Israelis state. It seems she has done this film particularly for American citizens and gives a careful examination of the lands, check points, road blocks, walls and generally the horrible nature of the bullies running the show along with many other things that she feels people in America just do not know. The link to the film is here _http://vimeo.com/6977999 (it is close to an hour in length), and within she made one particular visual distinction about propaganda, or censorship in this case that is worth noting below:

She describes a friend at the airport in Germany picking up a copy of Newsweek International (right photo) and then the same American addition in Chicago (left photo). There is no difference except to say that the American addition pulled the 'Plight of the Palestinian' article completely and replaced it with "Olympic" type coverage.

In this sense, is it any wonder how people could know anything at all when the craftsmen of opinion manipulate everything people should be reading; this is but one example.

voyageur thank you very much for bringing this very good presentation up here!

Anna is doing a great job there indeed!
And I think this is also a very good presentation that you can present to people who have no clue of what is going on there.

I just saw it, it is an hour but it is worth watching. Many interesting points for people who know little about the Palestine and Israeli occupation.
She is talking basically about life in occupied Palestinian land and the inhuman systematic progression of the human rights in Palestine.

Pashalis said:
voyageur thank you very much for bringing this very good presentation up here!

Anna is doing a great job there indeed!
And I think this is also a very good presentation that you can present to people who have no clue of what is going on there.

Yes, thank you very very, much voyageur !

Two new articles.

_http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/12/31/281056/israeli-tanks-bulldozers-enter-gaza/

Israeli tanks, bulldozers enter southern Gaza Strip

Israeli tanks and bulldozers have conducted an incursion into the Gaza Strip despite a ceasefire that ended the Tel Aviv regime’s attacks on the blockaded Palestinian territory.

Local sources reported on Monday that Israeli military tanks and bulldozers intruded into the southern city of Rafah.

Witnesses said Israeli forces entered about 100 meters into the Palestinian land, violating the truce agreement once more. No casualties have been reported.

On December 10, Israeli forces conducted a similar incursion into the southern city of Khan Yunis for the first time after a truce reached between the Tel Aviv regime and the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas.

Over 160 Palestinians, including women and children, lost their lives and about 1,200 others were injured in the Israeli airstrikes on Gaza that were carried out during the eight-day period of November 14-21.

Palestinian resistance fighters incessantly poured rockets and missiles on Israeli cities, killing at least five Israelis, including one soldier, in retaliation for the deadly attacks.

On December 27, the Tel Aviv regime said it was concerned about the improvement of the defense capabilities of Palestinians. Israeli Minister of Home Front Military Affairs Avi Ditcher said, “The accuracy rate of their (Palestinians) rockets is increasing.”

_http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/12/31/281025/palestinian-village-faces-destruction/

Palestinian village faces destruction over Israeli settlements

A Palestinian village in Bethlehem, Jesus Christ (PBUH)’s birthplace, in the occupied West Bank is under threat of complete destruction as a result of Israel’s illegal settlement construction plans, Press TV reports.

Villagers in Khirbet Zakaria argue that they cannot travel freely outside of the village without being harassed by Israelis and are not allowed to develop infrastructures including schools and hospitals.

They also complain about being disallowed to build houses from stone, so they have no choice but to build their residences with wood and tin roofs.

In addition, villagers have been forbidden from calling to prayer, and have been banned from completing the construction of their local mosque.

The village is surrounded by Israeli settlements on all sides. Its residents have even been offered money to evacuate the area as Israel continues with illegal plans to expand settlements.

“Life is difficult. It is difficult for our children to learn as there are no resources. Children have no place to play. Life is difficult as there is lack of transport, and we cannot walk anywhere as we face dangerous violence from those living nearby,” a female resident of Khirbet Zakaria village said.

“We call on the international community to tell Israel to put an end to its settlements so we can have a normal life like others,” she added.

“We can only build temporary structures, which are cold in the winter. Yet, Israel can build all around us,” an old man in the village said.

The Israeli settlements are considered illegal by the UN and most countries because those territories were captured by Israel in a 1967 war, and are thus seen as being subject to the Geneva Conventions, which forbids construction on occupied lands.

More than half a million Israelis live in more than 120 settlements built since the 1967 Israeli occupation of the West Bank and East al-Quds (Jerusalem).

Earlier, Israeli officials said they would go ahead with plans to construct 6,000 settler units on the Palestinian lands despite rebukes from the United Nations and the international community.

Many countries, including some of Tel Aviv’s allies, have condemned the latest Israeli plans to construct the illegal settler units in the occupied Palestinian territories.

Kaigen said:
I just saw it, it is an hour but it is worth watching. Many interesting points for people who know little about the Palestine and Israeli occupation.
She is talking basically about life in occupied Palestinian land and the inhuman systematic progression of the human rights in Palestine.

I watched last night and I agree, Kaigen.

Although I had watched other documentaries on Palestine already I thought Anna was doing a particularly good job. The photographs she took gave an intimate picture of life under occupation. I found it easy to relate to the plight of the Palestinians because of the way that she presented the material. I actually cursed quite a bit while watching it. I felt moved by the pictures of Palestinians and Jews working together. A beautiful reminder of the fact that there are Jews working for the Palestinian cause (this reminds me of the latest thread that Lisa G. started; a.o. there is a difference between the Zionists and the Jews and the Jews are in danger of being persecuted again).

New article by Illan Pappé:

_http://electronicintifada.net/content/can-we-find-compassion-israelis-2013/12056
Can we find compassion for Israelis in 2013?
Ilan Pappe The Electronic Intifada 4 January 2013

I have just spent the last few days of 2012 in the city of Haifa. Accidentally, I met a few of my acquaintances who in the past deemed me at best as deluded and at worst as a traitor. They seemed more embarrassed today — almost confessing that mine and my friends’ worst predictions about Israel’s future seemed to be materializing painfully in front of their very eyes.

In fact, our predictions came very late in the day. Already in 1950, with unsettling accuracy, Sir Thomas Rapp, the head of the British Middle East Office in Cairo, foresaw the future. He was the last person sent by London to decide whether or not Britain should establish diplomatic relations with Israel. He approved but warned his superiors in London:

“The younger generation is being brought up in an environment of militarism and thus a permanent threat to the Middle East tranquillity is thereby being created and Israel would thus tend to move away from the democratic way of life towards totalitarianisms of the right or the left” (Public Record Office, Foreign Office Files 371/82179, E1015/119, a letter to Ernest Bevin the Foreign Secretary, 15 December 1950).

It is the totalitarianism of the right which is going to be the hallmark of the Jewish state in 2013. And some of the liberal Zionists who were once willing to devour me and like-minded Jews in Israel now realize we, like Sir Thomas before us, may have been right. And maybe because of their more benign attitude I would like to reciprocate by attempting, for a very short while, a different approach in 2013.

Compassion towards Israelis?

Those of us who write frequently for the Electronic Intifada have shown in the past — and will undoubtedly continue to do so in the future — our utmost solidarity with the Palestinian victims of Israel’s existence and policies. But can we, and should we, show compassion to the Israelis themselves? Obviously, one cannot ask the Palestinians to do this while the dispossession continues in full force. But maybe we who belong, ethnically at least, to the victimizers can ponder for a moment in the beginning of the New Year about our compatriots.

Let me begin with a more personal touch. During this visit I had the opportunity to watch my former colleague, the historian Benny Morris on television and to read some of his interviews. His anti-Arab and anti-Islamic racism is now of the rawest kind possible: a naked and rude discourse of hate, venomously spat out in the most disgusting way possible. So why show any empathy? Because his first book on the refugees was an eye-opener for me and others. It was not a great history book, but it was an eloquent survey of the truth to be found in the state archives about the 1948 Israeli crimes.

Yet his transmutation into an arch-racist is not surprising — it follows the same trajectory of many of the so-called liberal Zionists in Israel. He and his friends had an epiphany in the 1990s: discovering the immoral foundations of the state. This could have opened the way to a genuine reconciliation but it was also a frightening moment that demanded brave personal decisions. Most of them opted instead to deny the truth and the guilt, covering it up with a born-again Zionism of a far more extreme and obnoxious kind. This particular group of Zionists are not likely to go through another epiphany, but maybe their children will. One can only hope.

Israel’s Arab Jews

Compassion of a kind can be shown also toward the Arab Jews of Israel. I noticed during this visit how many of them are wearing — almost crouching under the yoke of — huge Star of David medallions of a size I have never seen before. They are frightened that the police or members of the public might mistake them for “Arabs,” hence these huge pendants that cry out: I am a Jew, not an Arab, even if I look like one! (As if any of us living between the River Jordan and the sea look that different from one another.)

This is sad and pathetic but maybe the academic Ella Habiba Shohat was right when she asked us to recognize Arab Jews as victims of Zionism as much as the Palestinians were. It is hard however, with the risk of generalization of course, to buy into their victimization for too long as they have by now endorsed wholeheartedly the formula that the more racist their anti-Arabism would be, the more Israeli they would become.

Back in the 1970s, Arab Jews rebelled against their discrimination. The right-wing parties in Israel capitalized on this frustration to build an electoral base that brought the Likud party to power and associated Arab Jewish politics of identity with anti-Arab and anti-Palestinian positions. But if there is any future for the Jews in Palestine, it will have to go through the organic and intrinsic connection of these Jews to the region, its past, its civilization and future. There are still enough among them who may show the way for the European settlers to learn to reconcile with whatever season the Arab world would happen to be in.

My third message of compassion is for the ultra-Orthodox Jews. The idea of a state in Judaism is a travesty – they know it best. There is no foundation in Judaism for a state based on the religion. So they opted either for clear anti-Zionism, for which they are persecuted, or embarrassingly spearheading Zionism by colonizing the West Bank and leading the racist choirs in the state. For a moment one should empathize with their predicament — they are a sizable part of the Jewish population and could be part of a new and better Palestine and the Middle East.

Cultural ghettoes

My fourth flickering moment of compassion is directed towards the Russian Jews (many of whom I see praying piously in the Orthodox churches all over Haifa and the north). They are a first generation of settlers in a colonialist project that still goes on. They are aliens in this country — as were the early Zionists — and they are lost. So they either create cultural ghettoes, or like the Arab Jews they try to integrate by offering to be the signifiers of the most fascist and racist pole of the Israeli political scene. Either way, this must be very unpleasant and unfulfilling.

My final sense of empathy is directed to the Jewish students in the West who still insist on acting as Israel’s ambassadors on university campuses. Here too, the pathetic human condition triggers the compassion. They could have played a vanguard and leading role — as their predecessors did when they spearheaded the struggles for equality in the United States and the movements against apartheid in South Africa and imperialism in Vietnam — in one of humanity’s greatest campaigns for peace and justice: the solidarity movement with the Palestinians. But they find themselves confused and disoriented, representing the oppressor, the colonizer and the occupier. The end result is parroting slogans prepared by the Israeli diplomacy that make little sense I suspect even to those who chant it unconvincingly along with hysterical allegations of anti-Semitism and terrorism.

I thought of adding the aging Zionist veterans of 1948 who opened their secrets to filmmaker Eyal Sivan and myself (their testimonies were exhibited on a special display we put on in the heart of Tel Aviv at the end of 2012) and told us bravely about the crimes they committed against the Palestinians during the Nakba. But that would have been too much.

Maybe when peace is nearer I could follow the in the footsteps of Desmond Tutu and show compassion of the kind displayed in the South African Truth and Reconciliation Committee. But until this time comes I will try to keep an open door for the others in the settler colonialist society I belong to and with which the Palestinians hopefully will one day build a democratic and free Palestine.

The author of numerous books, Ilan Pappe is professor of history and director of the European Centre for Palestine Studies at the University of Exeter.

Thank you Aragorn for this article.
Understanding why people are acting the way they are, and showing compassion...
To keep an open door is of great importance !

Aragorn said:
New article by Illan Pappé:

_http://electronicintifada.net/content/can-we-find-compassion-israelis-2013/12056
Can we find compassion for Israelis in 2013?
Ilan Pappe The Electronic Intifada 4 January 2013

Another big name has also recently posted an article about the Middle East 'conflict':

_http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/13700-noam-chomsky-the-gravest-threat-to-world-peace

Here's a snippet from the beginning (don't want to break any copy right laws here):

Noam Chomsky: The Gravest Threat to World Peace
Friday, 04 January 2013 09:05
By Noam Chomsky, Truthout | Op-Ed

Reporting on the final U.S. presidential campaign debate, on foreign policy, The Wall Street Journal observed that "the only country mentioned more (than Israel) was Iran, which is seen by most nations in the Middle East as the gravest security threat to the region."

The two candidates agreed that a nuclear Iran is the gravest threat to the region, if not the world, as Romney explicitly maintained, reiterating a conventional view.

On Israel, the candidates vied in declaring their devotion to it, but Israeli officials were nevertheless unsatisfied. They had "hoped for more 'aggressive' language from Mr. Romney," according to the reporters. It was not enough that Romney demanded that Iran not be permitted to "reach a point of nuclear capability."

Arabs were dissatisfied too, because Arab fears about Iran were "debated through the lens of Israeli security instead of the region's," while Arab concerns were largely ignored – again the conventional treatment.

The Journal article, like countless others on Iran, leaves critical questions unanswered, among them: Who exactly sees Iran as the gravest security threat? And what do Arabs (and most of the world) think can be done about the threat, whatever they take it to be?

Thank you Aragorn for sharing this article as well.

Gen. Lee Butler, former head of the Strategic Command.... Such a strategy, he wrote in 2002, is "a formula for unmitigated catastrophe," and he called on the United States and other nuclear powers to accept their commitment under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) to make "good faith" efforts to eliminate the plague of nuclear weapons.

Nations have a legal obligation to pursue such efforts seriously, the World Court ruled in 1996: "There exists an obligation to pursue in good faith and bring to a conclusion negotiations leading to nuclear disarmament in all its aspects under strict and effective international control." In 2002, George W. Bush's administration declared that the United States is not bound by the obligation.

Of course.. because the US is 'special' and doesn't need to follow any obligation the government doesn't want to.

According to an enthusiastic report on the "gala" in the Israeli press, Dennis Ross, Elliott Abrams and other "former top advisers to Obama and Bush" assured the audience that "the president will strike (Iran) next year if diplomacy doesn't succeed" – a most attractive holiday gift.

So far they've always 'kept their word'. More of the same old BS to come. I'm just wondering how they will navigate amidst food price hikes, a plague and other such conditions. Maybe it'll actually be easier to pull it off?

Back
Top Bottom