Javier Milei has been elected president of Argentina

Milei's privatization plan moves forward among deputies

While the security forces mounted another operation repressing demonstrators in the National Congress square for the second day, the Chamber of Deputies approved with 144 votes in favor and 109 against the so-called Omnibus law, with a good part of the articles reformed or suspended, counting on the support of the friendly opposition, in the midst of suspicious negotiations and evident extortions.

Thus, a half victory was achieved, because next Tuesday the articles will be debated again one by one to approve, modify or annul them. However, if the cession of legislative powers to the ultra-right-wing president Javier Milei is endorsed, this will be considered a soft coup d'état, since everything debated can be erased with decrees.

This legislative scenario happened while the federal police and other forces carried out another fierce repression against a march of social organizations, retirees, assembly members and other citizens who were peacefully demonstrating against this law, and also against the repression that the day before yesterday left regrettable consequences.

The indignation grew from the subjugation ordered by the Minister of Security, Patricia Bullrich, who used the Anti-Picketing Protocol, declared illegal by the United Nations and which violates all international instances, since it prohibits the recognized right of the people to freedom of expression and to demonstrate in the streets.

The atmosphere is increasingly complex, prolonging the uncertainty, to which are added the multiple rejections of an important sector of society, which also point to the oppressive and increasingly violent scheme afteqr the brutal police response the day before yesterday, in which more than two hundred were injured, both by rubber bullets and by pepper gas, which now has a chemical that produces burns on the skin and infections.

Well, Argentina is now a powder keg, but Milei keeps shouting "viva la libertad carajos!" and blaming everything bad in Argentina on the communists.

You have to wonder about these so called "free markets" guys who are supposed to embrace the non-violence principle, using violence and force to restrain freedom of speech. Let people have their protests if you are going to push through these changes like this. Is it so hard! This is so amateur hour that it makes me think he wants instability and a Civil War. He is acting like the people are like the MS13 Narcotraficantes in El Salvador.

It is like he is taking his domestic policy politics from his good buddy Netanyahu, and to be fair to that war criminal, I don't think (I could be wrong on this since abuses in Israel would probably not be reported widely...) he even did this when most of the country rose up against his "judicial reforms." Maybe Milei will allow Chile to attack for seven hours unimpeded to cause a distraction so people forget about this taking a page from Netanyahu's book. It is a good thing Latin American nations don't fight amongst themselves quite like in Europe, the US, and the Middle East :).

Not only is is pathetic and sad because he is supporting a genocide, but it's made even worse by the fact that taxpayer's money is funding his trip while his country has reached an inflation record. "Long live Freedom, damn it", especially if your freedom is to the detriment of your people. Yikes.

It looks like maybe we should merge the War in Israel thread with this one?

First trip to pal around with the Devils of Davos at the WEF. Second to hob nob with war criminals in Israel.

Do we even need to guess about the next trip? Probably going to Kiev to pay hommage to Zelensky!

Heck he might even be afraid to come back home given the big bait and switch he pitched his country, much like Zelensky obviously prefers being outside his country, where I am surprised he has not been lynched yet.

First trip to pal around with the Devils of Davos at the WEF. Second to hob nob with war criminals in Israel.

Do we even need to guess about the next trip? Probably going to Kiev to pay hommage to Zelensky!

Heck he might even be afraid to come back home given the big bait and switch he pitched his country, much like Zelensky obviously prefers being outside his country, where I am surprised he has not been lynched yet.

Hi @WhiteMountain, hope you just didn't saw/read the following post by @Voyageur, so I'll repost it here :

Hello @WhiteMountain, being that you have been here for a few months, if you can wonder over the the Newbie section and provide a brief introduction so that other members can get to know you, great.

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your thoughts.

I second that, it is the established custom to make an intro before posting on the forum.
The best we know each others, the best we can share. 😊
Welcome !

This early morning screenshot of President Milei from Israel is not an innocent post that has nothing to do with anything. From the context, it should be treated as a threat on his part against Argentine democracy on the way to an inexcusable constitutional insurrection. Milei pasted verses 19-21 from Chapter 32 of Exodus, Old Testament. It is serious because it deals with the "misconduct" of the Hebrews against Moses while he was writing the 10 commandments on the Tablets of the Law on Mount Sinai 3300 years ago, because Moses was taking too long up there so "the people" built a golden calf, a mixture of celebration and protest. When Moses returns to the Hebrew camp, he destroys the golden calf and proceeds to punish accordingly. How to interpret Milei now with what he has done and what has happened to him? The president on a trip to Israel, as good as he is, gave the Argentine people the Omnibus Law (Law Tables). The deputies in Congress pruned it (which is the golden calf) and he then in revenge broke the Omnibus through Deputy Zago by sending it to the parliamentary commission. Now Milei, who seriously believes in it, punishes the Congress and does not speak to it any more until everyone surrenders to his will, because he is the master of the state, what he says is done, nothing is discussed and his power is and must be absolute by the grace of the Almighty. God save the Argentine Nation.

I have been noticing on twitter/X that a part (if not a large part) of the anglo-sphere is defenestrating Milei after his visit to Israel.

Which makes me think that it is finally starting to happen (in addition to the Israeli-Palestinian war events themselves) which is part of the process meant to open people's eyes, through suffering. At first the conservative anglo-sphere cheered milei, but now they are even using the same adjectives we use here to point out his disastrous government and the total incoherence of his actions.

The disappointment is global.

I have been noticing on twitter/X that a part (if not a large part) of the anglo-sphere is defenestrating Milei after his visit to Israel.

Which makes me think that it is finally starting to happen (in addition to the Israeli-Palestinian war events themselves) which is part of the process meant to open people's eyes, through suffering. At first the conservative anglo-sphere cheered milei, but now they are even using the same adjectives we use here to point out his disastrous government and the total incoherence of his actions.

The disappointment is global.

It's hard to tell, but like with anyone, I think Milei was bound to lose his charm and some of his antics would eventually start to look ridiculous. I suppose it's better later than never, but Argentina is still stuck with him for the next few years, so it'll be an expensive mistake in that sense, but all those who supported him from abroad, will simply ignore the situation and Argentina will be just another third world country facing hardships that they do not bother themselves with.

While this occurs, the country will be sold to international hedge funds and so on. In the end, beyond ideology the goal will be accomplished, not a single bullet and no need for a color revolution, and very little propaganda.

It is estimated that around 27 million people are already poor in Argentina. In this context, President Javier Milei added in an interview that the situation will deepen in the coming months: "The hardest moment will be between March and April". The indigence index was 9.6%, which became 14.2% in December and climbed to 15% last January, representing 7 million people.

Long live freedom dammit!

UCA: Poverty in Argentina hit 20-year high of 57.4% in January​

Prestigious UCA Social Debt Observatory says poverty is at 20-year high: 57.4%, equivalent to 27 million people, are now considered poor in Argentina. Extreme poverty affects 15%, some seven million people.

Destitution and poverty levels increased in the first two months of Javier Milei's administration, according to a new report from the influential Observatorio de la Deuda Social of the Universidad Católica Argentina (Social Debt Observatory of the Catholic University of Argentina, ODSA-UCA).

The study concludes that poverty rose from 44.7 percent in the third quarter of 2023 to 49.5 percent in December 2023 and 57.4 percent in January 2024, "as a result of increases in the cost of the basic food basket and household income."

but all those who supported him from abroad, will simply ignore the situation and Argentina will be just another third world country facing hardships that they do not bother themselves with.

The Conservative portion of X could ignore the downsides, or just keep posting soundbites of MIlei doubling down on whatever the initiative du jour is. Liberal X will then point out the massive numbers falling into poverty. At least that's what usually happens when the Shock Doctrine is implemented.

The Conservative portion of X could ignore the downsides, or just keep posting soundbites of MIlei doubling down on whatever the initiative du jour is. Liberal X will then point out the massive numbers falling into poverty. At least that's what usually happens when the Shock Doctrine is implemented.
Yes exactly, his figure will be a useful idiotic one, and perhaps very few people fit that description quiet as aptly as he does. Argentines will pay the price of whatever games someone else thousands of miles away is playing. It's a shame, but inevitable I suppose. Silver lining is perhaps, and I do not mean to sound cold, is that suffering will bear some wisdom in the people of Argentina.

The tragedy as I see it is that of timing. Milei's effects on society will still be felt long after his mandate. The question is, will it be still possible to recover after that? A failed experiment now feels more consequent than if it had happened ten or twenty years ago. Things are accelerating, and not always or everywhere in a good way, and at some point there would be something to the proverbial missing of the train so to speak. In other words, in the eventuality of an economic (and otherwise) collapse, the Milei nonsense comes in at the worse moment historically speaking. OSIT

The tragedy as I see it is that of timing. Milei's effects on society will still be felt long after his mandate. The question is, will it be still possible to recover after that? A failed experiment now feels more consequent than if it had happened ten or twenty years ago. Things are accelerating, and not always or everywhere in a good way, and at some point there would be something to the proverbial missing of the train so to speak. In other words, in the eventuality of an economic (and otherwise) collapse, the Milei nonsense comes in at the worse moment historically speaking. OSIT

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too, how many of those now living in poverty thanks to these ultra-neoliberal policies will ever recover?, and it did cross my mind that maybe decades, or maybe never. And so, the prospect is that of a tragedy. Because he could estabilize the economy with his agenda, but the question will remain, what if they had gone the BRICS way?

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too, how many of those now living in poverty thanks to these ultra-neoliberal policies will ever recover?, and it did cross my mind that maybe decades, or maybe never. And so, the prospect is that of a tragedy. Because he could estabilize the economy with his agenda, but the question will remain, what if they had gone the BRICS way?

It used to be that the US back patio effect was achieved with coups d'États, guerrilas funded by the US, dictatorships (often involving massacres) and invasions. Nowadays, they get candidates that will agree to be slaves to Israel and the US, and sell half the country to corporations. In the case of Milei, the "added value" is that he is certificably crazy and communicates with his dogs for advise, so in the future, it will be blamed just on him, while he is just a pawn. The result is still always the same: a back patio with the majority of the population being impoverished, the country's natural ressources stolen, and the whole country in a stand-by, just suffering and barely coping. That's what seems to be happening slowly but surely...

Then again, other countries are free for a while (like El Salvador now, which took an amazing turn, or Bolivia with Evo and Venezuela with Chavez). But peace and prosperity for the entire Latin America in the long-run? I don't think they'd ever allow it.

I hope I'm wrong and that something good for the people comes out of it. But it seems to me that these are traumatized nations whose spirit is just too used to being the "back patio". It would take a lot, and probably the US collapsing, before things change for the better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom