Jordan Peterson PhD - Slaying your dragon, and more

Possibility of Being

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
He is called "a life-changing" professor. I'm not surprised.

Peterson's personal/professional website:
http://jordanbpeterson.com/

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

Jordan B. Peterson is a tenured research and clinical PhD psychologist who currently teaches at the University of Toronto. He frequently appears on TVO [Canadian educational TV station] on various topics. His research interests include self-deception, mythology, religion, narrative, neuroscience, personality, deception, creativity, intelligence and motivation ...

Peterson has produced a series of online writing exercises, available at www.selfauthoring.com. These include the Past Authoring Program, a guided autobiography; two Present Authoring Programs, which allow the user to analyze his or her personality faults and virtues in accordance with the Big Five personality model; and the Future Authoring program, which steps users through the process of envisioning and then planning their desired futures, three to five years down the road. The latter program was used with McGill University undergraduates on academic probation to improve their grades. [That program is not free of charge, but are not expensive either]

The Self Authoring programs were developed in partial consequence of research conducted by James Pennebaker ...

Peterson published Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief in 1999, after working on the book for fifteen years. The book describes a comprehensive rational theory for how we construct meaning, represented by the mythical process of the exploratory hero, and also provides a way of interpreting religious and mythical models of reality presented in a way that fits in with modern scientific understanding of how the brain works. It synthesizes a large number of ideas drawn from narratives in mythology, religion, literature and philosophy, as well as research from modern neuropsychology.

Peterson’s primary goal was to figure out the reasons why individuals, not simply groups, engage in social conflict, and try to model the path individuals take that results in atrocities like the Holocaust or the Soviet Gulag. Peterson considers himself a pragmatist, and uses science and neuropsychology to examine and learn from the belief systems of the past and vice versa, but his theory is primarily phenomenological. Peterson deeply explores the origins of evil, and also posits that an analysis of the world’s religious ideas might allow us to describe our essential morality and eventually develop a universal system of morality.

The book is an encyclopedic examination of a wide range of thought and stories that illustrate the process by which meaning is created, often in complex and recursive ways, but all ultimately grounded in the basic heroic framework. The book draws heavily on C. G. Jung, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Friedrich Nietzsche and Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Also important to the book’s ideas are Jean Piaget, Mircea Eliade, Thomas Kuhn, Northrop Frye, Alexander Luria, Olga Vinogradova, Jeffrey Alan Gray, George Orwell, Erich Neumann, Antonio Damasio, Jerome Bruner, Joseph Campbell and Ludwig Wittgenstein. Literature and myth including the Bible, Shakespeare, Dante, Tolstoy, Goethe, Voltaire, Milton, Lao Tzu, Scandinavian myths, the Babylonian creation myth Enûma Eliš and the Egyptian creation myths of Osiris and Seth play a large part as well.

Peterson's YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos

So far, I've watched:

Slaying the Dragon Within Us - funny and important: about a necessity to face what we fear most
Reality and the Sacred
The Necessity of Virtue
Self-Deception in Psychopathology - a lecture given at the "Mind Matters: Toward a New Understanding of Psychopathology" conference organized by the U of T Jungian Society and the Buddhism & Psychology Students Union - intense

and I'm glad I watched them in that order. There are still dozens of videos to watch.

I find his work very close to what we pursue and do (or try to do). He talks about being, meaning of life, fears, lies, values, goals and much more. "There is nothing worse for your soul than meaningless suffering" is just one short quote so familiar to us that his lectures are filled with.

WOW :thup: I've just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKIayyu08w - Slaying the Dragon Within Us

Thank you PoB. I found it really interesting and I like the way he communicates his ideas.

My first impression after that lecture is that it could help lots of newbies to grasp the idea of importance of self observation and Work in general. "Dragon" could be a keyword to describe an outstanding issue to be resolved. FWIW

Listened to his "evil" one and I think he needs to read Ponerology.

having recently dispersed from a 6 year relationship with a psychopath, i have been on a mission of learning..

i stumbled on Professor Jordan Peterson, and have been addicted ever since..

i don't agree with all of his reasoning..

but i do see why he is referred to as "life changing".

steelbreeze462 said:
having recently dispersed from a 6 year relationship with a psychopath, i have been on a mission of learning..

i stumbled on Professor Jordan Peterson, and have been addicted ever since..

i don't agree with all of his reasoning..

but i do see why he is referred to as "life changing".

:welcome: to our forum steelbreeze462! Actually, seeing as this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

Other than that in the forum you can find many topics about psychopathy and do you know for example Sandra Browns work: Women who love psychopaths?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPgjg201w0

Jordan Peterson is a well known clinical psychologist who is currently out of the University of Toronto. I'm massively identified with him and his work. I've been watching his lectures for months now. The only reason I've become so identified with his work is because such a massive amount of it resonates with the topics covered here on the forum.

My only wish is two things: that he would read Lobaczewsi and Dabrowski as much of his work focuses on political and personality development subjects.

He has just released his latest video, linked above, and it's a brilliant but heartbreaking talk, that I think people here or knowledge and info here could help him with, but I don't have the knowledge or intelligence to help him compared to others here.

I think it could be a subject for getting in touch with him for a talk radio show, but at least, someone getting in touch with him about ponerology or something.

I can't separate out my love of his work, and as I said, I'm not intelligent enough to engage with him over this issue. But this guy is considered an expert in his field and teaches 300+ student classes on psychology and personality. And after this video, I just wish there was something I, but possibly we, could do to 1) help him understand what's going on pathocratically and 2) give him new knowledge that he could pass onto his students, and 3) who knows.

I just hope, despite my identification with his work, that others can see that there's something in this post that might be beneficial to him and through him and connecting with him, society at large.

In this thread https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,43157.0.html I made a post about a dream I hand and Mernva shared a video from John Jordan Peterson about a similar idea. Felipe4 thought this should be posted here or in the work, and I agreed, as it's a very useful perspective to take towards obstacles OSIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGIU0FtXr9o&feature=youtu.be

I'm not able to give a summary today as I'm short on time but let me know what you think.

Edit:Corrected Name

I watched the video. Seemed to me that Jordan Peterson has a Jungian approach to psychology (he is a professor and clinical psychologist). He makes several good points in the lecture. He used a children's tale of a dragon as a metaphor. In the story, the child sees the dragon but the mother does not and states that dragons do not exist. As a result the dragon grows bigger and bigger and finally runs away with the house. When the dragon is acknowledged, it grows back to kitten size, the same size it was when it first made its appearance. Point of the story: what we ignore/deny/refuse to confront out of fear just grows bigger and prevents us from living our lives normally. Peterson also made the point that stories have strong effects on people. Myths are some of the most powerful stories told by different cultures.

obyvatel said:
Point of the story: what we ignore/deny/refuse to confront out of fear just grows bigger and prevents us from living our lives normally.

Yes, and just to expand on that a little, that the dragon shrinks down back to a manageable size, as opposed to disappearing completely.

That there are problems and there will always be problems, and you cannot eradicate them from the world, denying the negative face of God, which is pathological; but it is attention that is the key attribute in problem solving and problem management. And by paying attention, one can make a return to order from a state of chaos.

Dr. Jordan Peterson - "Self-Deception in Psychopathology"

Highly recommended listening. Especially from The Work point of view and as Joe said, in view of what we know about Ponerology now.

Repeating parts in video due to technical errors: Don't freak out if you are listening to the 1:23:05 long version, suddenly you hear the Dr. begin repeating sections.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxJzWcwcRd0

You can try this shorter one - 1:20:30 long - (corrected by cutting repeating parts )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzU4mQxTnJg

Amazing, how these super talented thinkers have gaps in consciousness (the term used by G. and Nicoll) versus their psyche (again I meant G.'s term and Nicoll Commentaries pg.1147-8 context starting from "mechanical energies"), which psyche - intellectual center - and its energies are so highly developed in these academic supermen that I would like to spend time talking with them. I would have liked him as my father talking about these ideas all the time.

I was making my way through the paper on self deception but now can't recall where the link is. Can anyone help me out with that?

genero81 said:
I was making my way through the paper on self deception but now can't recall where the link is. Can anyone help me out with that?

EDIT:

Had originally posted the private thread where it was posted. Took down the link. Sorry. :-[

Here it is genero81

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,43576.msg700796.html#msg700796

Bear said:
Here it is genero81

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,43576.msg700796.html#msg700796

Thank you! I'm was on page 13 and took a little too long to get back to it and couldn't remember where it was.

Thanks again :thup:

Back
Top Bottom