Keto recipes

Oxajil

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I just finished with my first trial of the fat-bomb. The key really seems to be heat, just enough so that the butter and all the other fat liquify and to keep it on that temperature, taking it off the heat now and then and keep stirring helps too, and especially the heat disperser. Couldn't have done it without Laura's tips! The moment when everything started to have a nice consistency and thickness to it is when I added the yolks (slowly). I added the gelatin leaves (3 of them) afterwards.

It's now sitting in the fridge, but I had some of it warmish, it's pretty yummy (and filling)! Personally I'm not a coconuty-flavor-fan, but this is nice. I'll be adding some cacao butter next time. Maybe some cinnamon too, see how that'll be like.

Altogether, I'm an experience richer :P I've learned about gelatin leaves which I've never used before, and I also got to know about the different kinds of coconut products that are out there.

In any case, it's a great way to get a lot of fat. I'll also try the cold water trick next time. :cool2:
 

sitta

Jedi Master
First, thank you Laura for the custard recipe. It's very delicious and equally filling :thup:

Today I had my second go at it and I changed the ingredients a little because I wanted something sourish to eat. I used:
1 can of coconut milk: 17,2 g fat per 100 ml with 3.3 g carbs and 0.8 g proteins - that gives total 68.8 g fat, 13.2 g carbs and 3.2 g proteins.
10 egg yolks: 6.5 g per yolk -total 65g of fat
200 g of clarified butter - 199 g of fat
100 ml of coconut oil - 90g fat
4 tsp of xylitol - 16 g of carbs
lemon juice from 1/2 lemon ~ 5 g carbs (not really sure could be between 3.6 - 5)
Total for custard: 422.8 g fat, 34.2 g carbs, 3.2 g proteins
Divided in 3 servings total per serving: 141 g fat, 11.4 g carbs, 1.1 g proteins

The only deviation from the preparation was adding lemon juice to the egg yolks and bitting them together. Also I didn't add gelatin, so the texture was little more loose than a pudding's consistency is. Not that it matter to me much, I chugged the first portion right after custard was chilled a little bit :P.

After some thoughts I decided to use less xylitol (2 maybe 3 tsp) and use powdered vit C to create the sourich taste insted of lemon juice. After that I will experiment with cacao powder.
 

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
sitta said:
The only deviation from the preparation was adding lemon juice to the egg yolks and bitting them together. Also I didn't add gelatin, so the texture was little more loose than a pudding's consistency is. Not that it matter to me much, I chugged the first portion right after custard was chilled a little bit :P.

After some thoughts I decided to use less xylitol (2 maybe 3 tsp) and use powdered vit C to create the sourich taste insted of lemon juice. After that I will experiment with cacao powder.

If you want to add lemon juice, don't add it to the egg yolks as it will partially "cook" them and may cause lumps or may make your custard runny, as you describe. Put it in the coconut/fat mixture. You may also wish to use more gelatin.
 
R

Resistense

Guest
Most days I make something similar to what Carlisle calls Capputeano (clever name by the way :)):

-6-10oz. hot chai tea
-4-6 tbsp. butter (I normally clarify this to ghee as the first step in the process) : 48-72g fat
-2 tbsp. coconut oil : 28g fat
-1 egg yolk : 4.5g fat, 3g protein
-1 tsp. xylitol
-Cinnamon and cardamom added

Put everything in a blender, and it all comes together quite smoothly (the egg yolk emulsifies). I usually strain the hot butter with browned milk solids through a reusable tea bag (kind of like a small bag of cheesecloth) over a mesh strainer.

So it's around 92.5g fat(5Tbsp. butter+2Tbsp. oil+1 egg yolk)/3g protein/4g carb(sugar alcohol). I find it very palatable, but it is rather rich, so remember to "chew" a bit and give your body the heads up it's getting a load of fat. Also goes great with a cigarette.



My normal "real meal" is based around ~100g suet (hard interior beef fat) and meat. Nothing too fancy really, but I usually incorporate some broth, plenty of salt, maybe some greenery (I particularly like cilantro), and spices: cumin, turmeric, clove, etc.. This liquid gets to a low boil and cooks through whatever meat may be in the pan. I find it to be very tasty! But that might just be that I'm used to it :-[ Sometimes sauerkraut and mustard are added.

Anyway, my machine seems well trained to digest ~93g fat at a given meal from making use of these two recipes (suet is around 94% fat I believe). I also still usually take a cap of pancreatin with most meals.

Arwenn-- Oftentimes I use a mixture of heart/kidney/liver in the second recipe above. Heart I think doesn't need much help, most people need something to mask the taste of liver, but for me something about kidney is the least palatable part.. It helps to cook the organ meat through and through I've found, and mustard and sauerkraut alongside makes it tastier. I cannot find a producer/seller of quality beef who is willing to supply brains or tripe! It's frustrating, but understandable from their point of view (cost/benefit analysis).

Nancy2Feathers-- I have found Native Forest Coconut products at Whole Foods here in the United States. I read through this thread but now I can't remember if I saw it, but I think it's worth mentioning that Native Forest uses BPA-free cans for their coconut milk. Bonus!
 

A Jay

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Oxajil said:
Maybe some cinnamon too, see how that'll be like.

How did I not think of that! I'm even more excited for my bowl of coconut pudding (didn't have the gelatin for custard)! :D

Will be trying the double boiler method with my next batch, should keep the heat steady and even. If that doesn't work, into the blender it will go! Thanks for the tip! :)
 

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
I reduced the fat just a tad today because we are all getting overloaded around here. Also increased the gelatin to 4 tablespoons for a liter of coconut milk, 3/4 of a 500 gram chunk of butter, and 1 cup of coconut oil. Still 24 egg yolks. Even though I didn't have a curdle, I added the two tablespoons of water and used the immersion blender. The texture was like silk and very light! Amazing stuff.
 

seek10

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Thank you for recipe. I made one batch with coconut cream with out coconut oil . it came out very well and tastes heavenly. But it also reminded me I can't take too much coconut with out side effects. So I ordered some macademia and walnut and plan to experiment with them instead of coconut cream soon.
 

Arwenn

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Carlisle said:
herondancer said:
I've been having pretty good luck with a 1:1 ratio of fat to chocolate powder, 1/2 cup of xylitol (powdered in a coffee grinder) then adding whatever flavours might be nice. Lately it's been:

3/4 cup of butter,
1/4 cup of cocoa butter melted together
If you cut the stick of butter and melt it first in a pyrex measuring cup, you can then add chunks of cocoa butter until it reaches the one cup mark.

Then put it in a heavy metal pot on low, or low flame, get it completely liquid, and beat in the xylitol. You'll want to keep stirring it until all the clear butter fat floating on the top is mixed in. When it looks silky, like smooth gravy, start beating in the cocoa powder till all of that is mixed in.

You can add the flavouring in then and pour it into your molds. I divide the batch to make two kinds. Peppermint, vanilla, and orange are favourites here, but plain old chocolate is great too. I've also used liquid lecithin from the health food store (NOT the kind used for making liposomal vit C), as it's supposed to help with the emulisification. It doesn't seem to make much difference afaict, but you could give it a whirl.

Hope that helps. :)

Yeah the 1:1 ratio works best for me too. I use mainly butter+coconut oil, and find it helps to slightly cook the butter for a while before adding the cocoa. Then leave the cocoa+butter bubbling for a while. Take it off the heat, add vanilla/stevia/Xylitol.

I used soy lecithin granules, dissolved overnight (the same type I used for liposomal vit C), and it really gives it the proper chocolate texture, and makes it creamier/sweeter so you can use less xylitol. Helps if you stir in the lecithin last of all, after it's all settled down a bit.

I just thought I'd post this here from the Laura's Chocolate thread to keep our keto recipes together. I made this and again, can attest to it's yumminess! I will use an emulsifier (lecithin) next time though for a creamier texture. No milk, no sugar, and yet delicious chocolate to boot! :)
 

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I've made the Coconut Cream Custard, and I think I will start having that for lunch at work.

Are people not eating egg whites because they are controlling protein consumption, or is there something bad about egg whites like gluten?
 

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
hlat said:
I've made the Coconut Cream Custard, and I think I will start having that for lunch at work.

Are people not eating egg whites because they are controlling protein consumption, or is there something bad about egg whites like gluten?

Mainly protein consumption needs to be kept down. But also, some people with autoimmune conditions cannot tolerate egg whites.
 

darksai

Jedi Master
I tried making the chocolate 'shake yesterday, though it came out more like custard :lol: Super delicious!!


I could only find 165ml tins of coconut cream without any additives at the store nearby. Tomorrow I'll make a trip to see if I can find larger quantities at a decent price and look around on the net.


I used (fat : carbs):

165ml coconut cream - 30 : 8

80g butter - 64 : 0
20g coconut oil - 20 : 0
1 tbsp cocoa - ~1 : ~0
2.5 tsp xylitol - 0 : 10
2 egg yolks - 9 : ~ 1
total - ~125 : ~ 18


Used the same instructions from the milkshake recipe in the first post, whisking in the cocoa before the egg yolks at the end.
 

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Saieden said:
I used (fat : carbs):

165ml coconut cream - 30 : 8

80g butter - 64 : 0
20g coconut oil - 20 : 0
1 tbsp cocoa - ~1 : ~0
2.5 tsp xylitol - 0 : 10
2 egg yolks - 9 : ~ 1
total - ~125 : ~ 18


Used the same instructions from the milkshake recipe in the first post, whisking in the cocoa before the egg yolks at the end.

That's pretty high carbs. If you eat that and you are trying to stay under 20 carbs per day, you are basically limited for the rest of the day. But, if you just have that and the prescribed portion of protein during the day, you'll be okay. I think you could cut the xylitol in half or use erythritol.
 

davey72

The Living Force
Laura said:
I reduced the fat just a tad today because we are all getting overloaded around here. Also increased the gelatin to 4 tablespoons for a liter of coconut milk, 3/4 of a 500 gram chunk of butter, and 1 cup of coconut oil. Still 24 egg yolks. Even though I didn't have a curdle, I added the two tablespoons of water and used the immersion blender. The texture was like silk and very light! Amazing stuff.

Maybe i am wrong, but i thought you once said that you couldn't tolerate coconut, as it is a seed. Did you have to readapt to it?
 

Nienna

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Laura said:
hlat said:
I've made the Coconut Cream Custard, and I think I will start having that for lunch at work.

Are people not eating egg whites because they are controlling protein consumption, or is there something bad about egg whites like gluten?

Mainly protein consumption needs to be kept down. But also, some people with autoimmune conditions cannot tolerate egg whites.

If someone is allergic to eggs, would that only be the whites they are allergic to, or is that something that someone with this condition would have to try to find out?
 

H-KQGE

Dagobah Resident
Nienna said:
Laura said:
hlat said:
I've made the Coconut Cream Custard, and I think I will start having that for lunch at work.

Are people not eating egg whites because they are controlling protein consumption, or is there something bad about egg whites like gluten?

Mainly protein consumption needs to be kept down. But also, some people with autoimmune conditions cannot tolerate egg whites.

If someone is allergic to eggs, would that only be the whites they are allergic to, or is that something that someone with this condition would have to try to find out?

Some people are allergic to both the yolk & the whites. But the associated symptoms are things such as eczema & wheezing, to nausea or stomach pain. As we on the forum know, most people will still be consuming inflammatory foods (as well as non-foods containing a wide range of inflammatory contaminants) & not be able to accurately determine an actual allergy. Albumin is an egg protein that may cause a reaction for some & apparently, children are more prone to egg allergies.

Some more on the topic: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_allergy
 
Top Bottom