Keto recipes

You could use avocado, but that would pretty much be a guacamole. Try it with broccoli and I think you will be surprised at how much it resembles mashed potato.

truth seeker said:
Mashed cauliflower makes a good substitute as well.

Wish I had some last night to go with the hash I made from some canned pork butt! I miss me some hash and rice! :P

Keyhole said:
Hey Arwenn.

Not sure if this would be suitable for a snack, but for meal times if you fancy trying some "international" dishes, you could try out a traditional English meal... Something we call "Bangers and Mash" over here ;)

It typically consists of sausage rested on mashed potato with an onion gravy.

However, as we can't eat potato's... Me and Thorn recently came up with a low carb-high fat alternative - Broccoli Mash :D

Ingredients:

One Head of Broccoli
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
100g Butter/Ghee/Lard
A few parsley leaves

Method:
Boil or steam the broccoli till tender but not too soft. Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until thick and sloppy!

Yup, we do have bangers and mash. It's yum :) I have used cauliflower, grated as a substitute for fried rice. I might try it as a mash. Broccoli might be an idea too, thanks for the tip. I'm really looking for lunch keto recipes. The fat bomb tides my boy through till recess, then it becomes tricky to feed him fat. This all came about when he was curious about his sugar levels with the ketone meter, and it came up around 6 mmol/L. So he has made a concerted effort to reduce the sweets/lollies, but to really go keto, I need to find ways to sustain them through the day at school (a toxic environment to begin with, let alone with their canteen added to the mix). He won't take boiled eggs, bacon might be an option, and maybe roast meats, cold meats (gluten free if I can find it, the deli within the supermarket isn't great) and soups (if I can find a container for him to easily take it in and consume it).

Arwenn said:
Keyhole said:
Hey Arwenn.

Not sure if this would be suitable for a snack, but for meal times if you fancy trying some "international" dishes, you could try out a traditional English meal... Something we call "Bangers and Mash" over here ;)

It typically consists of sausage rested on mashed potato with an onion gravy.

However, as we can't eat potato's... Me and Thorn recently came up with a low carb-high fat alternative - Broccoli Mash :D

Ingredients:

One Head of Broccoli
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
100g Butter/Ghee/Lard
A few parsley leaves

Method:
Boil or steam the broccoli till tender but not too soft. Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until thick and sloppy!

Yup, we do have bangers and mash. It's yum :) I have used cauliflower, grated as a substitute for fried rice. I might try it as a mash. Broccoli might be an idea too, thanks for the tip. I'm really looking for lunch keto recipes. The fat bomb tides my boy through till recess, then it becomes tricky to feed him fat. This all came about when he was curious about his sugar levels with the ketone meter, and it came up around 6 mmol/L. So he has made a concerted effort to reduce the sweets/lollies, but to really go keto, I need to find ways to sustain them through the day at school (a toxic environment to begin with, let alone with their canteen added to the mix). He won't take boiled eggs, bacon might be an option, and maybe roast meats, cold meats (gluten free if I can find it, the deli within the supermarket isn't great) and soups (if I can find a container for him to easily take it in and consume it).

Maybe bone broth in one of these travel thermo mugs - used these extensively down south and they worked a treat - I used to do the bone broth superdense, so I could top it up with hot water, yummy! You could even make a whole meal out of it by adding some minced meat or meat cuts to it.

Keyhole said:

Ingredients:

One Head of Broccoli
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
100g Butter/Ghee/Lard
A few parsley leaves

Method:

Yesterday I made this with broccoli puree, really surprised, very similar to mashed potatoes taste, very rich, thanks for sharing keyhole. :cheer:

riclapaz said:
Keyhole said:

Ingredients:

One Head of Broccoli
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
100g Butter/Ghee/Lard
A few parsley leaves

Method:

Yesterday I made this with broccoli puree, really surprised, very similar to mashed potatoes taste, very rich, thanks for sharing keyhole. :cheer:

I made a chicken cacciatore with cauliflower mash. Tasted just like potato mash:

I cauliflower, cut into large florets and boiled till soft
Add some butter and blend. And add salt, pepper, chives to taste.

Has anyone mashed the cauliflower or broccoli with animal fats like goose/duck/lard/ beef dripping etc?

Also, do you grate the cauliflower before boiling or afterwards if trying to imitate rice?

Lilyalic said:
Has anyone mashed the cauliflower or broccoli with animal fats like goose/duck/lard/ beef dripping etc?

Also, do you grate the cauliflower before boiling or afterwards if trying to imitate rice?

For imitating potato mash- I cut the cauliflower into large florets and boil till soft (but not too soft) and then blend. I have only used butter thus far.

For 'fried rice' I grate the cauliflower and cook it in a fry-pan along with butter, herbs, garlic, onion, and chorizo (sliced thinly). I also recently bought a gadget that slices vegetables like zucchini to make 'noodles' (cuts it into long thin strips), but I haven't tried that yet.

Lilyalic said:

We make mash out of brocolli and it can hold a LOT of fat!
Keyhole said:

Ingredients:

One Head of Broccoli
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
100g Butter/Ghee/Lard
A few parsley leaves

Method:

Arwenn said:
For imitating potato mash- I cut the cauliflower into large florets and boil till soft (but not too soft) and then blend. I have only used butter thus far.

For 'fried rice' I grate the cauliflower and cook it in a fry-pan along with butter, herbs, garlic, onion, and chorizo (sliced thinly). I also recently bought a gadget that slices vegetables like zucchini to make 'noodles' (cuts it into long thin strips), but I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks Arwenn, I bought some yesterday and will be attempting the "grating of cauliflower" today :lol: I'm still confused on how it will happen, but there's only one way to find out!

Arwenn said:
Lilyalic said:

I don't crave or miss pasta or noodles (as such ;) but when i did feel like it was 'missing', i would to take strips of carrots (using a potato peeler) then fry them till soft in butter - about 5 minutes. Carrots tend to keep their shape and absorb a decent quantity of fat plus, they're so sweet (high in carbs) that they can take a healthy helping of salt (one way i like to get it in my diet).

I'm going to try the veg mash! :)

Added: I have tried the cauliflower rice - i blended it till it was as small as rice, then realised they should be a little larger because as you deep fry, they lose water. Even so, it tasted something like fatty chips. Maybe you need to boil it a bit first or something because it didn't taste anything like rice.

itellsya said:
I don't crave or miss pasta or noodles (as such ;) but when i did feel like it was 'missing', i would to take strips of carrots (using a potato peeler) then fry them till soft in butter - about 5 minutes. Carrots tend to keep their shape and absorb a decent quantity of fat plus, they're so sweet (high in carbs) that they can take a healthy helping of salt (one way i like to get it in my diet).

Added: I have tried the cauliflower rice - i blended it till it was as small as rice, then realised they should be a little larger because as you deep fry, they lose water. Even so, it tasted something like fatty chips. Maybe you need to boil it a bit first or something because it didn't taste anything like rice.

Strips of carrots sounds like a good idea :) I did the cauliflower rice before for breakfast with some liver, I fried it in beef dripping and I actually do think it tastes like rice! surprisingly :)

Lilyalic said:
itellsya said:

Strips of carrots sounds like a good idea :) I did the cauliflower rice before for breakfast with some liver, I fried it in beef dripping and I actually do think it tastes like rice! surprisingly :)

The idea for the zoodles (zucchini noodles) was more to find a substitute for pasta for the family. It is surprising how good these substitutes can taste. Fried carrot strips sounds yum too. I'm glad you had success with the cauliflower 'rice' Lilyalic!

Arwenn said:
Lilyalic said:
itellsya said:

The idea for the zoodles (zucchini noodles) was more to find a substitute for pasta for the family. It is surprising how good these substitutes can taste. Fried carrot strips sounds yum too. I'm glad you had success with the cauliflower 'rice' Lilyalic!

Another household substitute: deep-fried turnip as alternative to french fries, very yummy.

Back
Top Bottom