Keto recipes

Thorn said:
celenajohnson23 said:
Thorn no I have not tried the fat bomb, I will read the recipe and give it a go :) as for the energy on the 5pm to 11:30pm shift...I was dead. Most days I would end up being awake on my computer until 2-4am then waking up at 12-1pm feeling drained.

I can imagine you must've felt awful, it's good that you could do the 9-5 instead...

Thank you so much for mentioning f.lux, I haven't come across that before and as keyhole often works late on the comp he struggles to get to sleep straight away :thup:
NP! :D this forum is great for exchanging useful info. I saw on this forum something with avocado and eggs, maybe a combo of that and the recipe mentioned before I can have a pretty good breakfast :P Any who, I hope the program works out, I set mine really dark, personal preference, I work on comps all day. Happy learning! :clap:

I just did something very yummy for my daughter that's right up our alley if anyone is a sweet tooth like me.

I fried coconut flakes in butter and erythritol then patted dry and a sprinkling of salt. Crispy, crunchy, sweet and salty treat..

Yuuuuummmm!!

Fluffy said:
I just did something very yummy for my daughter that's right up our alley if anyone is a sweet tooth like me.

I fried coconut flakes in butter and erythritol then patted dry and a sprinkling of salt. Crispy, crunchy, sweet and salty treat..

Yuuuuummmm!!
I bet adding cocoa to that or real vanilla bean extract would be good too.

Fluffy said:

Yuuuuummmm!!

That sounds damn fine Fluffy, I'm gonna give that a go! Thanks!

I just want to make a distinction. I have noticed that many stores do not sell sweet paotatoes and many sell yams labelled as sweet potatoes. I have searched the forum before but have never been able to find a distinction. They always seem to be lumped together as if it is two names for the same thing. In factyams, sweet potatoes , and potatoes all come from very different plants. Does anyone know if yams and sweet potatoes are basically the same carbwise?
I have noticed that the majority of the people in my area all think yams are sweet potatoes. Most have no idea they are two different things.

davey72 said:
I just want to make a distinction. I have noticed that many stores do not sell sweet paotatoes and many sell yams labelled as sweet potatoes. I have searched the forum before but have never been able to find a distinction. They always seem to be lumped together as if it is two names for the same thing. In factyams, sweet potatoes , and potatoes all come from very different plants. Does anyone know if yams and sweet potatoes are basically the same carbwise?
I have noticed that the majority of the people in my area all think yams are sweet potatoes. Most have no idea they are two different things.

Yams and sweet potatoes are botanically distinct, although the terms are often used interchangeably. Yams have pale flesh and grow in Asia and Africa, while sweet potatoes have bright orange or yellow flesh and grow in tropical regions of the Americas, explains the University of California Cooperative Extension. An 8-ounce serving of yams provides 150 calories compared to 200 calories for sweet potatoes, and both are nutrient-dense foods. However, sweet potatoes hold an edge over yams in certain nutrients.

Carbohydrates and Fiber
Both yams and sweet potatoes offer plentiful carbohydrates--40 grams for yams and 45 grams for sweet potatoes per 8-ounce serving. Fiber is abundant in both vegetables as well, with yams supplying 5 grams and sweet potatoes 7.5 grams. Carbohydrates provide your body with sugars, its preferred fuel source, making both yams and sweet potatoes good sources of energy. Fiber, although not digestible, improves your gastrointestinal health and may help you avoid certain cancers as well as obesity, states the University of Illinois McKinley Health Center.
:http://www.livestrong.com/article/257046-sweet-potato-vs-yam-nutrition/

In most cases sweet potatoes are labeled with both terms, which just adds to the confusion. Since there are two types of sweet potatoes, one with creamy white flesh and one with orange, the USDA labels the orange-fleshed ones "yams" to distinguish them from the paler variety[/b]

Our old gas stove had broken sparkers, a broken oven and a broken timer/clock. Only the stove portion worked, which we had to light by hand, and even that didn't work very well because it had been converted to propane and we use natural gas. Today however, we moved in a much better stove with fully functioning oven/broiler.

So what are some oven recipes we can try out?

Keyhole quote:

Here is a simple alternative to home cooked chips (potato fries for the US).

All you need is: a frying pan
a large chunk of any type rendered fat (lard, tallow,butter, bacon fat etc)
an unripe avocado.

1.Place the frying pan on a low heat and melt the fat in the pan.
2. While its melting, peel the avocado and chop into thin slices lengthways.
3. Place the avocado slices in the pan and leave to fry, turning occasionally until lightly brown on both sides.
4. Removes avocado from pan and place in a bowl. Season well!! (Salt, black pepper, maybe apple cider vinegar?)
When I first experimented with these, I was suprised at how much they actually taste like potato! the avocado taste dissappears and they seem to soak up all of the fat.
This is for everyone who is missing a plate of chips with that steak!

I tried Keyhole's Avocado Chips yesterday, but it turned out quite mushy. I fried it in butter and bacon fat. Reading the recipe again today, I saw he specified that it should be an unripe avocado, while the one I used was very ripe. A small detail like that does make a difference! Will try again!

Sometimes it still works with unripe avocado, Just fry them on higher heat for longer (they usually go hard when they're starting to look black).

Ynna quote:
I tried Keyhole's Avocado Chips yesterday, but it turned out quite mushy. I fried it in butter and bacon fat. Reading the recipe again today, I saw he specified that it should be an unripe avocado, while the one I used was very ripe. A small detail like that does make a difference! Will try again!

Lilyalic quote:
Sometimes it still works with unripe avocado, Just fry them on higher heat for longer (they usually go hard when they're starting to look black).

I'll also try the higher heat, thank you, Lilyalic! I fried on low heat as I didn't want the bacon fat and butter to be too hot and thus become unhealthy. But low heat does not a proper chip make, as with pototoes.

I made an autoimmune friendly meatloaf yesterday that turned out delicious, here's the recipe:

1/2 kg of grounded meat (I get it very fatty)
As much bacon as you like.
Lard (it can also be tallow)
1 tbsp of Turmeric
Oregano to taste
Salt

Just chop the bacon in small pieces and mix everything together very well so that the salt and spices are well spread. (You can also add other spices if you're not sensitive)

Cut long slices of bacon to put on the glass dish so that it will have a bacon top :D

Put all the meat/spices/bacon/lard mixture on top of the bacon.

Put in the oven for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes. Temperature: around 180° C (you can rise the temperature during the last 15-20 minutes so I gets a nice colour)

I haven't tried the one with liver yet, but that would be next ;D

As you can see, I ate with bone broth on the top as a "cream" and it was REALLY delicious!

Attachments

• meatloafalabonnecreme.jpg
    meatloafalabonnecreme.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 180
  • meatloaf.jpg
    meatloaf.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 179
Back
Top Bottom