Ketoadaptation - Consensus

As I understand from the second quote where there is saturated fat, the rate of triglycerides is low. This situation seemed to me the opposite of the first quote. And so I don't know if triglycerides are useful or not for health. Is the triglyceride form mentioned in both quotes different? I could not find what I missed. I'm confused about this. I would be appreciated if anyone interested in the subject helps me.
Ok so here is a simplified way of looking at it:

Dietary fat is broken down in the gut to yield triglycerides (three fatty acids bound with a glycerol backbone).

Dietary triglycerides are absorbed through the lymphatic system, are transported through various organs and used directly as a fuel source, can be packaged up by the liver, or alternatively taken up by adipose (fat) tissues for storage. MCT oil is included in this camp.

On the other hand, fasting blood levels of triglycerides are a clinical measurement of the resident triglycerides floating around in the blood. When these triglycerides are high, it is usually not coming from dietary intake of fat (triglycerides) but rather the internal adipose stores.

Basically, high triglycerides in the BLOOD is demonstrative of metabolic syndrome (energy OVERLOAD), often fatty liver and visceral adiposity (fat around the organs).

In a healthy person, triglycerides are released all of the time from fat stores during any minor fasting periods. Also, triglycerides will spike after a meal, and then quickly go down shortly after. This happens because their other tissues take up the triglycerides from the blood very quickly to burn for energy.

In an unhealthy person (metabolically speaking) - when someones cells are already overloaded with energy, the cells not want any more. In fact, it is dangerous for cells to take up too much energy (glucose or fat), simply because they are not equipped to handle it and end up producing excess free radicals. Diabetes and metabolic syndrome are, at the most fundamental level, energy-overload conditions. Hence, cells will reject glucose, and cells will also reject triglycerides.

This leads to high blood glucose levels in conjunction with high triglyceride levels, and is generally very dangerous for numerous reasons.

It is actually for this reason that ketogenic diets and/or fasting works so well. Fasting causes the cells to use up the energy they have stored up, reversing the "energy overload" and rapidly causing them to take up glucose and triglycerides. This causes a drop in blood levels, and also promotes the breakdown of fat stores to release more triglycerides to meet the increased demand of energy.

It is also the primary reason that intense exercise also works so well for these energy-overload conditions. It is using up the energy stores inside the cell, removing the "block" on metabolism, and allowing cells to take up more energy (glucose and fat).

The primary determinant of whether a cell takes up energy (is insulin resistant or not), is intracellular demand for energy. When there is little demand, then cells will reject it. Therefore, any strategies that can be used to increase energy demand will, by definition, also be effective at reversing metabolic conditions

Last edited:
@Gaby @Lukasz @Keyhole thanks for sharings. You are all very kind.

Let me check
In a very very simple way, whether triglycerides are good or bad markers depends on their free flow in the blood or being used in organs and cells. So I will go on eating butter and coconut oil but stop or minimize having sugar and carbs. Then, my cells use fats for energy.

"Diet research of the sott.net forum - A summary of the science background" is ready:

Dear Gaby,
Im starting to inform on keto diet, and as i'm french natural speaker it's easier for me to read such detailed information in french.
I allowed myself to (quickly) traduct your document to french : from the original document, i saved it to docx then traduced it by google translate (I wanted to use deepl, but it fails :( ). Then pasted the results in a new docx document + save + also created a PDF version of it.

It's auto traduction so it's not perfect, but i wanted to know and ensure that you are ok if I post them back here ? (or i can post them in the Resources section of the forum if i'm allowed to ?) Please advise.

It's auto traduction so it's not perfect, but i wanted to know and ensure that you are ok if I post them back here ? (or i can post them in the Resources section of the forum if i'm allowed to ?) Please advise.
No need to re-post an automated French version here. If you have questions regarding the ketogenic diet, you can use the main ketogenic diet thread, as there are more updates and experiences available over that thread.

No need to re-post an automated French version here. If you have questions regarding the ketogenic diet, you can use the main ketogenic diet thread, as there are more updates and experiences available over that thread.
I did it because I plan to first read the document, then go on with the thread (which will take a long time to parse all), and even if i understand well english, this will remain far from a good understanding than if i read it in french. And this is partially because i suppose that other (french) here have the same "problem" that I proposed to share it, and the other reason is for some of my relatives who can't read english. As it's your work for the community, i ask you if, even if not perfect traduction, i can share it to some relatives ? (note to be honest, i already shared it to my cousin as we daily work together 😅, but only him for now, he's like my 3rd brother)

I think that if i ask question in the future, it's not in the short term, the thread is not a small one, and the "life without bread" thread should also be read if i well understood.

Reactions: Pat
You can share with your relatives, but more so, I don't recommend this document to my patients or loved ones because it's a synthesis for a work that is too specific and difficult to make, and that they might not be ready to do (or even might be detrimental to do without guidance).

I think your loved ones will benefit more if you recommend them books on the subject that are more approachable by the general public and that are available in French already. For instance:

William Davis - Pourquoi le blé nuit à votre santé
Gary Taubes - Pourquoi on grossit
Dr David Perlmutter - Ces glucides qui menacent notre cerveau: Pourquoi et comment limiter gluten, sucres et glucides raffinés

More info here:

I've just seen this discussion and it's very interesting to read what you've shared. Above all, I'd like to thank Gaby for the famous document which will be very useful to me when I decide to start this beneficial diet.

Even though I had read a lot about this "diet" in the past, my life circumstances didn't allow me to apply all the knowledge I had acquired. On the other hand, I was able to influence and sensitize my sister who, following a stage 4 melanoma cancer and her intolerance to gluten, decided to apply this diet following my information. Today, she's doing well, her cancer has regressed and she's now in remission.

I'm thinking hard about deciding to start gradually, but I also have to include my intellectually disabled daughter, and that won't be easy, since I can't make 2 different meals. So I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Je viens de voir cette discussion et c'est très intéressant de lire vos partages. Surtout, j'aimerais remercier Gaby pour le fameux document qui me sera très utile lorsque je déciderai de commencer cette alimentation bienfaisant.

Même si par le passé j'avais beaucoup lu sur ce "régime", les circonstances de ma vie ne m'ont pas permis de mettre en application toutes ses connaissances que j'avais acquis. Par contre, j'ai pu influencer et sensibiliser ma soeur qui suite à un cancer du mélanome au stade 4 et son intolérance au gluten, a décidé d'appliquer cette alimentation suite à mes informations. Aujourd'hui elle se porte bien et son cancer à régresser et elle est maintenant en rémission.

Je réfléchis beaucoup à me décider de commencer graduellement mais je dois aussi inclure ma fille ayant un handicap en déficience intellectuelle et ceci ne sera pas facile, puisque je ne peux pas faire 2 repas différents. Donc, c'est à suivre.

Thanks so much for putting the document together @Gaby !

I'm only about half way through the google doc at the moment.

It all makes so much sense ! It's confounding as to how nutritionists are still pushing the low fat high carb diet when it's been obvious it doesn't work for so many decades now.

I'm convinced TPTB want to keep us sickly, weak, tired, overweight and brain-fogged.

Back
Top Bottom