Ketoadaptation - Consensus

Gosh! Thanks a lot for bringing together such an amount of information. Currently reading it, looking forward to have it printed too.
Gratitude.

I'm still in the learning stages of attempting to figure out the keto diet, so I'm really just reading about it at this point. However, this morning, I tried a high-fat breakfast using a recipe from the book, Keto Clarity, and I gotta say I feel awful! I'm guessing I didn't do it right, but I'm just not used to eating fat like this, I think.

Should I have moved into this more slowly? Or maybe I just ate too big of a serving?

What I had was 3 eggs scrambled in bacon grease and butter, with a bit of cheddar cheese thrown in. About halfway through eating the eggs, I was already full, and I hadn't even had my beloved bacon yet!

I don't feel sick, it just feels like I ate a huge rock and it's just sitting in my stomach. One good thing is that, right now, I doubt I'll ever need to eat again. :/

Any insight on this one would be helpful. Thanks.

Alkhemist said:
I'm still in the learning stages of attempting to figure out the keto diet, so I'm really just reading about it at this point. However, this morning, I tried a high-fat breakfast using a recipe from the book, Keto Clarity, and I gotta say I feel awful! I'm guessing I didn't do it right, but I'm just not used to eating fat like this, I think.

Should I have moved into this more slowly? Or maybe I just ate too big of a serving?

What I had was 3 eggs scrambled in bacon grease and butter, with a bit of cheddar cheese thrown in. About halfway through eating the eggs, I was already full, and I hadn't even had my beloved bacon yet!

I don't feel sick, it just feels like I ate a huge rock and it's just sitting in my stomach. One good thing is that, right now, I doubt I'll ever need to eat again. :/

Hi Alkhemist, just a few things quickly.

Dairy is bad http://www.health-matrix.net/2010/06/05/why-milk-is-so-evil/ - Butter for some is acceptable; milk, cheese (i know!), yoghurt etc... are not.

Gaby advises to take Digestive enzymes to assist digestion of fats, especially at the beginning when your gut isn't used to the fat load - take at the biggest meal of the day, which may be Breakfast/Lunch. I use Now Foods digestive enzymes.

Have you considered the fat bomb? For me it was like a fast track to ketoadaptation. There's a 'fat bomb recipe thread' which may be of help

You might want to check that you have no issues with egg whites, as some people do.

Have you read Gaby's amazing ebook? - Sott forum research on the ketogenic diet (something like that). It's a synopsis of the Keto path to transformation thread which is advised/mandatory reading before attempting.

You will also find in the threads details of others experiences, such as: increase salt and potassium, fitful sleep at the beginning, loose stools and so on.

These are just a few things, others will correct me if i am mistaken, and i hope it helps a little :)

Edit: added - Yes fat will make you feel fuller, quicker, for longer. And too much to begin may make you feel a little nauseous. But by reading through the experiences of others you will pick up what to expect and how to navigate these issues.

itellsya said:
Dairy is bad http://www.health-matrix.net/2010/06/05/why-milk-is-so-evil/ - Butter for some is acceptable; milk, cheese (i know!), yoghurt etc... are not.

I'm used to eating real butter and cheese, and I often eat yogurt. Does sensitivity to these things change once one starts the diet?

Gaby advises to take Digestive enzymes to assist digestion of fats, especially at the beginning when your gut isn't used to the fat load - take at the biggest meal of the day, which may be Breakfast/Lunch. I use Now Foods digestive enzymes.

That sounds like a good idea. I downloaded Gaby's book and I'll be reading that soon.

Have you considered the fat bomb? For me it was like a fast track to ketoadaptation. There's a 'fat bomb recipe thread' which may be of help

I saw the thread and scanned it, but didn't come across the recipe. I'll look again, but I know I have reading to do first.

You might want to check that you have no issues with egg whites, as some people do.

I used to eat a lot of egg whites when I was into body building. No issues there.

Edit: added - Yes fat will make you feel fuller, quicker, for longer. And too much to begin may make you feel a little nauseous. But by reading through the experiences of others you will pick up what to expect and how to navigate these issues.

Ok, at least I know I'm not the only one. It's been three hours since having breakfast, and I still feel like I ate a rock. I'll definitely pick up those enzymes when I'm ready to do this for real. At the moment, it's all a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure Gaby's book will help.

Thanks for the help. It's appreciated!

Alkhemist said:

Yeah. You can't read enough about it before you start. :)

Note that many here slowly progressed into Keto, first becoming gluten-free, sugar-free, Paleo, and Keto over the course of many years. Just jumping in without the knowledge and "trying things out" can only be frustrating.

In another thread you were recommended Maria Emmrichs "The Keto-Adapted Diet", she sums it up very well, esp. the pitfalls to avoid in the beginning. Be careful with Keto-websites online, it's amazing, what's being sold as Keto and isn't ...

M.T.

Alkhemist said:
Ok, at least I know I'm not the only one. It's been three hours since having breakfast, and I still feel like I ate a rock. I'll definitely pick up those enzymes when I'm ready to do this for real. At the moment, it's all a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure Gaby's book will help.

Thanks for the help. It's appreciated!

If you don't tolerate such big amounts of fat all at once, you can eat it slowly throughout the day, instead of "one gulp" so to speak. Digestive enzymes, betaine HCl and even apple cider vinegar are often needed at the beginning of the diet.

Make sure you read properly the research and experiences posted in "Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?" for more clues as to what to expect. See for instance this one: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28799.msg515009.html#msg515009

It is not that sensitivity to dairy changes when doing this diet, it is simply that dairy is evil. You'll understand better when you read "Why milk is evil". Casein in many ways is the equivalent of gluten.

Great tips you received, easy does it.

Good reading :flowers:

Hi Alkhemist.

My body may be able to handle the fat content better, but I just jumped in, breakfast-wise, with two eggs with a tablespoon of butter, three pieces of bacon and three pieces of sausage. That works out to about 33/34 grams of fat, 29 or so grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs. Digestive enzymes might be a help to you, although I havent needed them as of yet. The fat bomb is great because it is basically MCT (medium chain triglycerides) which the body doesn't have to work very hard to assimilate...plus, it is really easy to make, and delicious to boot! :cool2:

Also, Maria Emmerich's book Keto-Adapted has some great tips on supplementation to help the digestive system get back in gear.

Kris

Gabriela,

would you kindly review the following excerpts:

Page 1, paragraph 2

Saturated fat is the cure to many of mankind’s modern diseases which stare us in the face.

Wouldn't it be a bit smoother to write

..... diseases we have to face
or
..... diseases we are confronted with?

Page 4, paragraph 3

The ketogenic diet acts on multiple levels at once, something that no drug has been able to
mimic. This is because mitochondria are specifically designed to use fat for energy. When our
mitochondria use fat as an energy source, its toxic load is decreased, the expression of energy
producing genes are increased, its energetic output is increased, and the load of inflammatory
energetic-end-products is decreased

Just for clarification. Toxic load of what? The mitochondria's? If so it should probably read "their toxic load, their energetic output".

broken.english said:
Gabriela,

would you kindly review the following excerpts:

Page 1, paragraph 2

Saturated fat is the cure to many of mankind’s modern diseases which stare us in the face.

Wouldn't it be a bit smoother to write

..... diseases we have to face
or
..... diseases we are confronted with?

Page 4, paragraph 3

The ketogenic diet acts on multiple levels at once, something that no drug has been able to
mimic. This is because mitochondria are specifically designed to use fat for energy. When our
mitochondria use fat as an energy source, its toxic load is decreased, the expression of energy
producing genes are increased, its energetic output is increased, and the load of inflammatory
energetic-end-products is decreased

Just for clarification. Toxic load of what? The mitochondria's? If so it should probably read "their toxic load, their energetic output".

Not to worry about syntax issues as we have a team working on that.

Finished the book last week. It was an excellent book, packed with informations. Not repetitive at all.
One of the best I've read. I've learned a LOT ! Thank you !

Among the best documented dietary choices to counteract radiation poisoning were pork, and
liver and fats from any animal. More reason to go keto! On the other hand, milk always contains
high levels of radiation

Do you have a source for that ? Is it because of the fat content of pork or something else ?
Also, what do you think of parasites in some meats and fishes ? Can ketosis have a beneficial or protective effect ?

About nutritional density of pork : _http://ketopia.com/nutrient-density-sticking-to-the-essentials-mathieu-lalonde-ahs12/

jsf said:
Finished the book last week. It was an excellent book, packed with informations. Not repetitive at all.
One of the best I've read. I've learned a LOT ! Thank you !

I'm glad you liked it. Hopefully I'll finish the second part sooner rather than later!

jsf said:
Among the best documented dietary choices to counteract radiation poisoning were pork, and
liver and fats from any animal. More reason to go keto! On the other hand, milk always contains
high levels of radiation

Do you have a source for that ? Is it because of the fat content of pork or something else ?
Also, what do you think of parasites in some meats and fishes ? Can ketosis have a beneficial or protective effect ?

About nutritional density of pork : _http://ketopia.com/nutrient-density-sticking-to-the-essentials-mathieu-lalonde-ahs12/

I sure do have a reference for that. It is from:

Nesterenko, A. B., Nesterenko, V. B. and Yablokov, A. V. (2009), Chapter II. Consequences of the Chernobyl Catastrophe for Public Health. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1181: 31 - 220. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.04822.x
Nesterenko, A. V., Nesterenko, V. B. and Yablokov, A. V. (2009), Chapter IV. Radiation Protection after the Chernobyl Catastrophe. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1181: 287 - 327. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.04836.x
Yablokov, A. V., Nesterenko, V. B. and Nesterenko, A. V. (2009), Chapter III. Consequences of the Chernobyl Catastrophe for the Environment. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1181: 221 - 286. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.04830.x

It is excellent Chernobyl research. If you are interested, I have the full text somewhere in my files. It is actually an entire book with very shocking information. The surge of weird viral infections in the world today could be from Fukushima alone, but certainly the cosmic connection has a great role too.

Parasites are tricky things. There seems to be a protective factor for viral and bacterial infections, also weird allergies and so forth. I think ketosis can help deal with certain parasites much more effectively too. I never heard of anyone on the ketogenic diet having an anisakis allergy problem. Still, it is best to take all precautions against parasites: processing, freezing, cooking your food properly :)

Thank you Gaby for starting this topic. I'm a beginner to the keto diet and I was getting lost with all the information here on health recommendations. I appreciate you consolidating the important information and providing a much needed foundation. I've only just skimmed your book so far. One thing that caught my attention is the unhealthy affects of eating yogurt! :( I'm a home care provider for a 84 year old woman (whose on lots of medications) and she is depressed because she's having explosive bouts of diarrhea. Everyone is telling her to eat yogurt which she is doing. Anyway, I don't want to derail the topic, I was just shocked to see that.

Thanks for your work :D

Back
Top Bottom