Ketoadaptation - Consensus

SummerLite said:
Thank you Gaby for starting this topic. I'm a beginner to the keto diet and I was getting lost with all the information here on health recommendations. I appreciate you consolidating the important information and providing a much needed foundation. I've only just skimmed your book so far. One thing that caught my attention is the unhealthy affects of eating yogurt! :( I'm a home care provider for a 84 year old woman (whose on lots of medications) and she is depressed because she's having explosive bouts of diarrhea. Everyone is telling her to eat yogurt which she is doing. Anyway, I don't want to derail the topic, I was just shocked to see that.

Thanks for your work :D

Yeah, it is one of those strange fashions... "Eat yogurt!". She will probably benefit from taking probiotics, i.e. lactobacillus rhamnosus gg.

Dairy is a bad idea!:

Study tracking over 100,000 people finds the more pasteurized milk people drink, the more likely they are to die
http://www.sott.net/article/288190-Study-tracking-over-100000-people-finds-the-more-pasteurized-milk-people-drink-the-more-likely-they-are-to-die

Why Milk Is So Evil
http://www.sott.net/article/225467-Why-Milk-Is-So-Evil

Meager1 said:
Yes thank you Gaby!
Please let us know when the book is available to purchase.

Roger that! :flowers:

Thank you Gaby for putting together this book! It's now on my reading list since I easily get bogged down with some of the threads on the topic.

Thank you for this thread. Reading the first few pages of the document posted at the start of this thread is very illuminating. I have been debating with myself how diffiicult it might be to change my current diet to the ketogenic one. I have always known that I cannot eat many dairy products and that yogurt products always gave me diarrhea, but I never knew why exactly. I also suffer from polycystric ovarian syndrome, violent PMS and mild depression. So hearing that there is a way to get better from this is a relief! Thanks to everyone for putting the information together!

On a Czech Paleo FB page I have obtained a link to the following document which contains a list of experimental studies on animals and humans regarding paleo diet. Sorry I have not researched those yet and won't for now but I approached Gaby to see if there is anything interesting in it because it looked that way. She gave me green light to post it as it appears the document is valuable to the Forum.

Paleolithic Diets References: Direct Human/Animal Experimental Studies
https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fapp.box.com%2Fs%2F7zrxtxstzc6tdeizjosmgcxrd4t07epb

Palaeolithic Diets References: Direct Human/Animal Experimental Studies
Chronological Order (Oldest to most recent)

1. O'Dea K: Marked improvement in carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in diabetic Australian aborigines after temporary reversion to traditional lifestyle. Diabetes 1984,
33(6):596-603.

2. Jonsson T, Ahren B, Pacini G, Sundler F, Wierup N, Steen S, Sjoberg T, Ugander M, Frostegard J, Goransson Lindeberg S: A Paleolithic diet confers higher insulin sensitivity, lower C-reactive protein and lower blood pressure than a cereal-based diet in domestic
pigs. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2006, 3:39.

3. Lindeberg S, Jonsson T, Granfeldt Y, Borgstrand E, Soffman J, Sjostrom K, Ahren B: A Palaeolithic diet improves glucose tolerance more than a Mediterranean-like diet in individuals with ischaemic heart disease. Diabetologia 2007, 50(9):1795-1807.

4. Osterdahl M, Kocturk T, Koochek A, Wandell PE: Effects of a short-term intervention with a paleolithic diet in healthy volunteers. Eur J Clin Nutr 2008, 62(5):682-685.

5. Jönsson T, Granfeldt Y, Ahrén B, Branell UC, Pålsson G, Hansson A, Söderström M, Lindeberg S. Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet on cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: a randomized cross-over pilot study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2009;8:35 6. Frassetto LA, Schloetter M, Mietus-Synder M, Morris RC, Jr., Sebastian A: Metabolic and physiologic improvements from consuming a paleolithic, hunter-gatherer type diet.
Eur J Clin Nutr 2009.

7. Jonsson T, Granfeldt Y, Erlanson-Albertsson C, Ahren B, Lindeberg S. A Paleolithic diet is more satiating per calorie than a Mediterranean-like diet in individuals with ischemic
heart disease. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010 Nov 30;7(1):85

8. Carter P1, Achana F, Troughton J, Gray LJ, Khunti K, Davies MJ. A Mediterranean diet improves HbA1c but not fasting blood glucose compared to alternative dietary strategies:
a network meta-analysis. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2014 Jun;27(3):280-97

9. Jönsson T, Granfeldt Y, Lindeberg S, Hallberg AC. Subjective satiety and other experiences of a Paleolithic diet compared to a diabetes diet in patients with type 2 diabetes. Nutr J. 2013 Jul 29;12:105. doi:

10.1186/1475-2891-12-105. 10. Ryberg M, Sandberg S, Mellberg C, Stegle O, Lindahl B, Larsson C, Hauksson J, Olsson T. A Palaeolithic-type diet causes strong tissue-specific effects on ectopic fat deposition
in obese postmenopausal women. J Intern Med. 2013 Jul;274(1):67-76

11. Frassetto LA, Shi L, Schloetter M, Sebastian A, Remer T. Established dietary estimates of net acid production do not predict measured net acid excretion in patients with Type 2
diabetes on Paleolithic-Hunter-Gatherer-type diets. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013 Sep;67(9):899-903

12. Fontes-Villalba M, Jönsson T, Granfeldt Y, Frassetto LA, Sundquist J, Sundquist K, Carrera-Bastos P, Fika-Hernándo M, Picazo Ó, Lindeberg S. A healthy diet with and without cereal grains and dairy products in patients with type 2 diabetes: study protocol for a random-order cross-over pilot study--Alimentation and Diabetes in Lanzarote--ADILAN.Trials. 2014 Jan 2;15:2. doi: 10.1186/1745-6215-15-2.

13. Bisht B, Darling WG, Grossmann RE, Shivapour ET, Lutgendorf SK, Snetselaar LG, Hall MJ, Zimmerman MB, Wahls TL. A multimodal intervention for patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: Feasibility and effect on fatigue. J Altern
Complement Med. 2014 Jan 29. [Epub ahead of print]

14. Mellberg C, Sandberg S, Ryberg M, Eriksson M, Brage S, Larsson C, Olsson T, Lindahl B. Long-term effects of a Palaeolithic-type diet in obese postmenopausal women: a 2-
year randomized trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2014 Mar;68(3):350-7.

15. Smith, M, Trexler E, Sommer A, Starkoff B, Devor S.teven (2014) Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is associated with unfavorable changes to blood lipids in healthy subjects. Int J Exer Sci 2014, 7(2) : 128-139.

16. Talreja D, Buchanan H, Talreja R, Heiby L, Thomas B, Wetmore J, Pourfarzib R,
Winegar D. Impact of a Paleolithic diet on modifiable CV risk factors. Journal of Clinical Lipidology, Volume 8, Issue3, Page 341, May 2014.

17. Boers I, Muskiet FA, Berkelaar E, Schur E, Penders R, Hoenderdos K, Wichers HJ, Jong MC. Favourable effects of consuming a Palaeolithic-type diet on characteristics of the metabolic syndrom. A randomized controlled pilot-study. Lipids Health Dis. 2014 Oct 11;13:160.
doi: 10.1186/1476-511X-13-160.

18. Stomby A, Simonyte K, Mellberg C, Ryberg M, Stimson RH, Larsson C, Lindahl B, Andrew R, Walker BR, Olsson T. Diet-induced weight loss has chronic tissue-specific effects on glucocorticoid metabolism in overweight postmenopausal women. Int J Obes
(Lond). 2014 Oct 28. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2014.188. [Epub ahead of print]

19. Whalen KA, McCullough M, Flanders WD, Hartman TJ, Judd S, Bostick RM. Paleolithic and mediterranean diet pattern scores and risk of incident, sporadic colorectal adenomas. Am J Epidemiol. 2014 Dec 1;180(11):1088-97. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwu235. Epub 2014 Oct 17.

20. Bligh, H. F. J., Godsland, I. F., Frost, G., Hunter, K. J., Murray, P., MacAulay, K., et al. (2015). Plant-rich mixed meals based on Palaeolithic diet principles have a dramatic impact on incretin, peptide YY and satiety response, but show little effect on glucose and insulin homeostasis: an acute-effects randomised study. British Journal of Nutrition, 1–11. http://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514004012

21. Masharani, U., Sherchan, P., Schloetter, M., Stratford, S., Xiao, A., Sebastian, A., et al. (2015). Metabolic and physiologic effects from consuming a hunter-gatherer (Paleolithic)-type diet in type 2 diabetes. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
http://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2015.39

22. Pastore, R. L., Brooks, J. T., & Carbone, J. W. (2015). Paleolithic nutrition improves plasma lipid concentrations of hypercholesterolemic adults to a greater extent than
traditional heart-healthy dietary recommendations. Nutrition Research (New York, N.Y.). http://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2015.05.002

Quick question. Is it ok to share the pdf version of the google document? Or is there a published book on amazon now...I couldn't find it.

trendsetter37 said:
Quick question. Is it ok to share the pdf version of the google document? Or is there a published book on amazon now...I couldn't find it.

A published version is still in the works. So until then, feel free to use the google doc as long as it's available.

Ok sounds good. This week two new people at work asked about my diet because they had some idea that I ate differently. But the kicker was that they also knew someone who recently cured some of their serious medical issues (I cannot recall what exactly at the moment) when they stopped eating gluten and basically went paleo.

Gaby,

I have avoid reading of your book because English is not my native language and I fought that book is full of medical expressions. Today, I have finally realized that I don't have a clue about keto diet and if I want to make a real change in my diet I have to read your book. And I couldn't stop it till I reach the end.
I was also searching for recipes all the time, list of food that we should eat. Somewhere in the middle I have realized that you gave me all important information what is most important in checking nutritive valuable. So, thank you, thank you for that.

Also, even I knew some stuff about specific food you "really ruined some food for me" for example eggplants or tomatoes. :D

I hope that I will have a chance in my life to give others to way you did to me.

Its an excellent book. I started to read it few months ago and its a great book. I love it. Everything is explained so nice and simple. Recommended reading for everybody. :rockon:

Dommage qu'il n'existe pas en Français... Merci pour vos efforts...

Too bad it doesn't exist in French.... Thank you for your efforts....

Hi,
I have been reading "Diet research of the sott" on the link Diet research of the cassiopaea forum - A summary of the science background

Meanwhile, I'm trying to apply the diet. I'm even starting to see small positive effects. It's really great to do EE along with the diet. The research text shared by Sott is very detailed and clear. I liked it very much. But I am confused about triglycerides. That's why I need your help.

We are talking here about the saturated fats in coconut oil and butter which enter our bloodstream directly and are raw material for much needed ketone bodies. In fact, these medium chain triglycerides (MCT) or their metabolism’s end product (ketones) may not only treat, but also prevent Alzheimer’s disease, treat Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease), drug resistant epilepsy, type I diabetes, and type 2 diabetes

As mentioned here triglycerides comes from saturated fats are good for us. I also focused on using coconut oil. Then in another section on the following pages it says

Triglycerides are essentially the form that fat takes as it travels to the body’s tissues through the bloodstream. As it turns out, saturated fat doesn’t increase triglycerides; on the contrary its levels go down on a high saturated fat diet (Hite et al., 2011).

A high triglyceride level, which is a marker of poor health and an independent risk factor for heart disease, is unequivocally fueled by a high carb diet (including fruit!). It is high when there are problems in the body, particularly insulin resistance (which is a risk of diabetes) as well as inflammation (which is a risk of cardiovascular disease). High triglyceride levels are often seen with low HDL cholesterol. Low levels of HDL are also bad, and yes, HDL levels go down on a high carbohydrate diet which is what mainstream science recommends. No wonder doctors have such trouble seeing high levels of HDL in their practice!

As I understand from the second quote where there is saturated fat, the rate of triglycerides is low. This situation seemed to me the opposite of the first quote. And so I don't know if triglycerides are useful or not for health. Is the triglyceride form mentioned in both quotes different? I could not find what I missed. I'm confused about this. I would be appreciated if anyone interested in the subject helps me.

The first excerpt is specifically about the medium chain triglycerides (MCT) which are good dietary source of energy. They don't require modification like other fatty acids and are very easily absorbed and used by the body.

The other quote is about the triglycerides in generall as measured in a bloodstream.

In my understanding, you can eat a lot of MCTs, that are useful for the body, while keeping the levels of triglycerides in the blood low, which is also good.

That's about it.

High bloodstream triglycerides from a high carbohydrate diet is a very bad marker of health. It's usually accompanied by high uric acid, high fasting glucose levels (even if it's in the normal range) and high glycated hemoglobin (even if it's in normal range), which is a marker of "caramelization" of the body. HDL tends to be low. Some usually have fatty liver or visceral fat - a most inflammatory fat.

And triglycerides don't go down with statin drugs or a low fat diet. Berberine helps to lower them, and so is cutting on alcohol, sugar, fruit juices, refined carbs and so forth.

These markers of bad health are totally reversible with dietary changes.

Back
Top Bottom