Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Just a note here in case it might help others. I was out of butter yesterday so all I used was lard. To me it has made a big difference: more mental clarity, increase in energy levels and is more filling, compared to butter or even a mix of butter and lard. I also remember Nora Gedgaudas mentioning how eating butter actually made her gain weight (due to sneaky inflammation), and after replacing it with (good quality) duck fat, she lost weight again.

I knew I'm sensitive to butter from past experiences, but I thought that perhaps that wouldn't be the case anymore. But it is, and I'm going to continue experimenting with just lard.

Thank you very much, Oxajil. I think that the same thing happens to me. I'm going to stop using butter for a while. I really think I do not tolerate well any milk derivative. Whether be for the bacteria, or that the animals are fed with transgenic or maybe in the production the animal butter is mixed with margarine, etc. So seems okay for now the natural coconut oil, yolks and, especially, lard.
On the yolks, I wonder if thereby is climbing both vitamin D and calcium intake and if this can lead a danger of generating a hypercalcemia? Perhaps this is avoided getting enough magnesium every day?. Sorry for my ignorance in this topic.

Edit: Clarity.

I've noticed that lard and tallow are more satisfying for me as well. It keeps me sated the majority of the day and I don't get the grum-bellies. I use ghee for the most part, but it's mostly for the flavor. Perhaps I'll go on a lard/tallow only experiment too.

And contrary to much of what I've read, coconut oil makes me hungrier through the day so no more coconut oil "bulletproof" teas.

Gaby said:
Another interesting thing. On the past couple of weeks or so, I was peeing almost right away after drinking anything. It is like Emmerich says in the book Ketoadaptation, people even wake up in the night several times just to pee when they are getting ketoadapted. That happened to me in a couple of nights. Plus all the water you need to drink in order to not get dehydrated... Yeah, I'm glad to see that the urge is stabilizing. :)

Hi ,
That has happened to me too, which will mean that I'm on track, I hope. I am measuring my urine ketones and don't appear. I wonder if it is a necessary condition to appear ketones in urine as a sign that the body is working in ketosis?
My carbohydrate intake I do not exceed 50 grams,. As for protein, I'm not so steep, but I try to eat fatty meats or fatty fish, and vegetables drizzled with olive oil. My general condition is good, I have not lost weight, I keep in my 63 kgr . My skin looks better. At the moment I have no digestive problems. When I'm tired, I try to rest now and do not exercise as much as before. (Not sing victory yet) ;D
Butter and eggs are well tolerated. I wonder how many eggs could be recommended or how many egg yolks can take a day without being excessive.
I'll try to cook coconut custard, when locating coconut cream in the supermarket, I had never seen before, I guess it's different from coconut milk. I usually buy fresh coconut. I'll try to grate it and freeze it because tends to spoil it in the fridge.

Ariadna said:
Hi ,
That has happened to me too, which will mean that I'm on track, I hope. I am measuring my urine ketones and don't appear. I wonder if it is a necessary condition to appear ketones in urine as a sign that the body is working in ketosis?
My carbohydrate intake I do not exceed 50 grams,. As for protein, I'm not so steep, but I try to eat fatty meats or fatty fish, and vegetables drizzled with olive oil. My general condition is good, I have not lost weight, I keep in my 63 kgr . My skin looks better. At the moment I have no digestive problems. When I'm tired, I try to rest now and do not exercise as much as before. (Not sing victory yet) ;D
Butter and eggs are well tolerated. I wonder how many eggs could be recommended or how many egg yolks can take a day without being excessive.
I'll try to cook coconut custard, when locating coconut cream in the supermarket, I had never seen before, I guess it's different from coconut milk. I usually buy fresh coconut. I'll try to grate it and freeze it because tends to spoil it in the fridge.

It passes, I don't have that urge to pee all the time. I forgot in which week I am now, I guess a month or so.

If the urine strips come back negative, it could mean your body is using all ketones, so they don't appear in the urine. I think you are doing gooood! :)

I wouldn't worry about the quantity of egg yolks, you'll feel satisfied when you had too much.

A lot of folks are reacting to the coconut milk and cream. There could be serveral reasons, but a consistent one is the guar gum added. It is derived from beans and people don't tolerate its anti-nutrients. They sell guar gum-free coconut cream but it is not so widely available. Another option, if you still want to try the coconut custard (instead of the lard version), is to make your own coconut milk.

:flowers:

I'm only at day 3 of my fat bomb frappe (like the custard but no gelatin); so far on 3 yokes 75g butter 35g lard, i'm making it through to lunch with barely mild hunger (even after stretching for an hour) and post dinner my sugar cravings are minimal (that hasn't stopped me eating a keto pudding!).

I'm gradually increasing the lard and have experimented with 10g of tallow, no complaints, but i find i tolerate butter well and it adds the perfect sweetness, so i'll see how low i can go there. I also like that i can drink it quicker than if it was a pudding of sorts. When it cools however, it does separate and that aint great.

I'v always disliked any feeling of heaviness after eating breakfast, and i find my stomach 'shrinks' quickly (at times i probably have had sluggish digestion) so i love the satiety and energy from the fat bombs. And it makes eating less of a 'drown it in butter' situation ;D

I definitely feel clearer through the days so far, and i did struggle with some fog a few hours after breakfast.

My next step is the 'technicals', weigh myself against my chicken thighs and see whether i am eating too much protein etc... I dislike math. :cool2:

& Thanks Oxaji, it's good to know others are going the whole hog with the lard :P

I wanted to share one of the things that the ketogenic diet has helped. My boyfriend Jim and I have been on the keto diet about a month now. Jim used to snore really bad at night. So bad that I used to worry about him because he wasn't just snoring, his body was gasping for air in the night. I couldn't imagine that he was getting any rest that way. He was tired all the time. He probably had sleep apnea.

Since being on the diet, he hasn't been snoring at all, and he is so much more peaceful in his sleep. He can't believe how refreshed he feels now when he wakes up. We are amazed!!!

Angela said:
I wanted to share one of the things that the ketogenic diet has helped. My boyfriend Jim and I have been on the keto diet about a month now. Jim used to snore really bad at night. So bad that I used to worry about him because he wasn't just snoring, his body was gasping for air in the night. I couldn't imagine that he was getting any rest that way. He was tired all the time. He probably had sleep apnea.

Since being on the diet, he hasn't been snoring at all, and he is so much more peaceful in his sleep. He can't believe how refreshed he feels now when he wakes up. We are amazed!!!

That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing, Angela. Didn't cross my mind that a ketogenic diet might be a cure for obstructive sleep apnea. Common wisdom says that wight loss is often improving symptoms of OSA - but in a month there wouldn't be enough weight loss to account for all this improvement, while I am sure that it certainly would contribute.

nicklebleu said:
That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing, Angela. Didn't cross my mind that a ketogenic diet might be a cure for obstructive sleep apnea. Common wisdom says that wight loss is often improving symptoms of OSA - but in a month there wouldn't be enough weight loss to account for all this improvement, while I am sure that it certainly would contribute.

Yeah, that is a priceless testimonial! Specially when mainstream treatments for sleep apnea can be so scary for some people. Thank you Angela!

Gaby said:
nicklebleu said:

Yeah, that is a priceless testimonial! Specially when mainstream treatments for sleep apnea can be so scary for some people. Thank you Angela!
That is truly amazing! :cool:

Quick comment and a question!

I went to bed thinking about my fat bomb frappe and it occured to me the reason is, i feel SO good after drinking it. Which has me thinking i must have been quite lacking in fats even if i was eating alot before. I don't feel like eating afterwards and i just had 3 x sausages and a gherkin for lunch, and i'm fine til my broth later.

I suffer from insomnia but am finding settling in the evening easier, and i've been able to move my 'meal times' earlier with no blood sugar issues or hunger.

That, and this morning i had a super stressful day, meeting bureaucrats, and - with sore muscles - i carried around a bag of bones (for broth :D) and everything else i need to continue my Fat Frappes, as well as thinking fairly fast on my feet with the petty tyrants (i was quite shocked by how clear my head was). Where before i would've begun to crash by the afternoon, with dry eyes and an aching body, i had no trouble and actually checked a few more things off my chore list when i got home! More importantly, the anxiety and general 'fear pangs' have been greatly decreased. (More time is needed to be sure).

Question: Duck eggs. can these be eaten raw?

My research says: "No because they haven't been vaccinated against Salmonella" "No because the shells are much more porous" < i can accept porous shells, but i don't know for sure. I would expect you can.... I appreciate any comments can't attest to the hygiene of my eggs in particular, but in general?

The uncertainty of the hygiene of eggs is why I recommend cooking them at least up to a certain temperature... gentle. I don't eat raw eggs. And almost never eat the whites at all.

The difference between the custard and eating fat normally is that it is emulsified, and in this case it is an extremely fine emulsion. Your bile does the same thing, but your guts don't have a whisk handy. I'm thinking that maybe having the fat emulsified allows it to be broken up and absorbed immediately.

There is also the acetylcholine in eggs (or something having to do with it), which will affect your gut-brain as well as your brain-brain. Probably, if your gut is doing well, it will digest faster and better.

PS - I keep having a recurring thought about cooking. If we do not consider ourselves to be part of nature, then cooking seems unnatural. But if we are in tune with nature, then we do cooking right, and it becomes an expression of nature to it's benefit. I see things like pressure cooking and the custard fat bomb to be forms of this. Considering this it seems to make sense how cooking techniques that don't resemble "natural processes" might actually be good for you. The main thing here is what happens when we acknowledge that we ARE nature, while not having illusions that cause us to destroy ourselves.

Thank you Laura. I realise i am cooking them, but so lightly that i wouldn't say they're totally cooked through. I'll just experiment with trying to raise the temperature without changing the consistency too much. The response from the local food advisory board was a too hysterical and i thought it better to ask. :)

monoatomic
your guts don't have a whisk handy.

:D

Edit: Sorry Monotonic :-[

Back
Top Bottom