Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Going cold Turkey ok? No gluten, no dairy, no carbs.

I'm off this weekend so gonna get stuck in and try to finish off book an most of keto thread. I've done online shop and ordered lots of streaky bacon, organic butter and pork chops. I'm thinking of bacon and butter for breaky and pork chops and butter for dinner in the correct amounts of fat and protein. I've also ordered cod liver oil so will take a spoonful at each meal. Also I'll be drinking Redbush tea at home and filtered water with a touch of celtic sea salt while out.

I've also ordered ox bile.

Sound an ok diet for the week ahead? Last week I cut out pretty much all gluten and dairy with very little sugar/carbs and found it not too bad. So feel like trying keto for a week to see how it goes.

Jamie

mugatea said:
I'm off this weekend so gonna get stuck in and try to finish off book an most of keto thread. I've done online shop and ordered lots of streaky bacon, organic butter and pork chops. I'm thinking of bacon and butter for breaky and pork chops and butter for dinner in the correct amounts of fat and protein. I've also ordered cod liver oil so will take a spoonful at each meal. Also I'll be drinking Redbush tea at home and filtered water with a touch of celtic sea salt while out.

Sound an ok diet for the week ahead? Last week I cut out pretty much all gluten and dairy with very little sugar/carbs and found it not too bad. So feel like trying keto for a week to see how it goes.

Jamie

How low were the carbs? What does "pretty much" all gluten and dairy mean?

This sounds like a pretty much perfect baseline diet for seeing how you deal with keto, but do bear in mind that adaptation can take 3 weeks or more, depending on various factors. You may feel great, or you may get headaches, muscle cramps, mood swings, and general weakness of mind/body. There are typical changeover effects such as diarrhea, and you may get detox symptoms which are not pleasant. Salt and lot's of fat is the basic formula.

At least read these two articles:
_http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-i/
_http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Thanks Carl, those links were great reading!

I ate some nuts that had milk and gluten in them when one day last week I found myself starving-mad and jumped in shop for a high fat snack. Also had some shop bought sausages which would have had gluten in them, so any gluten/milk I ate last week were unknown to me until after I ate. Hence why when I get more money (car repairs this week) I will buy good food in bulk and plan and prepare the weeks food ahead of time. Carb-wise, I think I had a sugar in my black decaf one morning, some cabbage and onions one meal with my liver and bacon, a couple of strawberry flavored bottles of water one day. But I'm pretty sure my carbs have been pretty low/rock bottom most of the week. Prob not enough fat, but it was a changeover period rather that starting Keto. Also yesterday I bought some 100% coco powder which I can see has granulated sugar in it and last night after a hot mug of it an I didn't react well to it. Felt like I had a high pulse and high blood pressure - just felt that way, my pulse was 84bpm so I don't think my body likes sugar.

But even so after a week of low carbs and higher fat I'm buzzing and feel energized and motivated and very positive. At the beginning of week I felt funny as if all my cells that had been buzzing/stimulated from the sugar had suddenly stopped dancing about and were still and I felt a bit lightheaded/funny at times.

mugatea said:

Jamie

You either cut out ALL gluten and dairy/sugar or forget the experiment.

It takes several weeks to fully transition to fat burning so trying keto for "a week" is a waste of time.

There is no "try"; it's either do or do not do.

I've committed Laura. A couple of errors lead to gluten/milk getting into diet but not deliberate. I've made the choice and ready to roll.

Did my first resistance workout yesterday. Woke up this morning a bit stiff, had a few redbush tea's, then took for the dog out for an hours walk and went to shop and came back starving. Just had 8 small slices of streaky bacon for breaky and most of todays 'fat bomb' (about 100g of fat in serving I ate) and a couple of teaspoons of cod liver oil and I'm stuffed and ready for a good cuppa and ciggy but will give food a bit of time to digest first. For dinner I can have two pork chops but will have to cut of rind or I'll go over fat limit and then rest of fat bomb and I'm done for the day.

Jamie

It's 7.30pm on my first true Keto day and I feel sick. Last week dramatically cut down carbs and raised fat loads. Had bacon for breaky today(which was at lunchtime) and most of a fat bomb. For dinner homemade meatballs wrapped in bacon and butter to up the fat. Struggled with the butter and struggled with the remaining fat bomb, which while tastes nice has same texture as butter. I've had some challanges today and past week. Lots of lovely snacks and chocs in house which I've restrained from eating. I've given up my decaf coffee with milk and sugar, crisps, chocs. Resisting my urges has not been bad even my sister visited today with a rhubarb pie which I resisted. I can cope with it all that, but not sure about the fat and the butter. Yuk. Dont feel good at all, I can also smell my own breath. I think I'd rather not eat again than eat what I ate today. It's gonna be tough for me and its purely down to the fat. So not sure what to do now. I'm making bone broth so see how that is tomorrow. I may have ruined it with adding some coconut oil which I'm rapidly learning I cant stand. I've been using it mainly as a moisturizer as I cant eat it.

How did anyone reading this cope with the fat amount?

On a positive note I did one of the healthiest poops I've ever done. Could've got by without wiping it was that clean. Last week it was a mess.

Jamie

EDIT: I've puked out dinner so am feeling better now. But I dont think I could ever get used to eating that amount of fat. It's just too much!

mugatea said:
Did my first resistance workout yesterday. Woke up this morning a bit stiff, had a few redbush tea's, then took for the dog out for an hours walk and went to shop and came back starving. Just had 8 small slices of streaky bacon for breaky and most of todays 'fat bomb' (about 100g of fat in serving I ate) and a couple of teaspoons of cod liver oil and I'm stuffed and ready for a good cuppa and ciggy but will give food a bit of time to digest first. For dinner I can have two pork chops but will have to cut of rind or I'll go over fat limit and then rest of fat bomb and I'm done for the day.

Jamie

Don't worry about going over the fat limit, just don't go over the protein limit because that knocks you out of ketosis.

Two or three betaine HCL with every meal for awhile until your body understands the instructions and upregulates the DNA that will retool the digestion process.

And READ "Keto Adapted".

Thanks. I'm reading it, nearly finished. Will I learn to love butter?

I've ordered betaine HCL and waiting for ox bile to come along. I think until they arrive I will just go one meal a day if body keeps reacting like this.

mugatea said:
Thanks. I'm reading it, nearly finished. Will I learn to love butter?

I've ordered betaine HCL and waiting for ox bile to come along. I think until they arrive I will just go one meal a day if body keeps reacting like this.

Without digestive help, it's not easy at first. After awhile, you will learn what it is to feel sated and well-fueled. Just remember, it can take WEEKS to adapt because it involves DNA changes.

Thanks. Onwards and upwards. As long as their is a goal I can continue. I think I must be in Keto, my breath and body stinks

mugatea said:
Thanks. Onwards and upwards. As long as their is a goal I can continue. I think I must be in Keto, my breath and body stinks

As Emmerich points out, being in ketosis only "stinks" if you are detoxing. After you are "clean", there is no stink.

Laura said:
mugatea said:

As Emmerich points out, being in ketosis only "stinks" if you are detoxing. After you are "clean", there is no stink.

And according to Dr Coconut, you might even smell a bit sweet like an ananas or something like that.

Thanks for the comments. My betaine came today and I've just taken 3 just before I had a large sirloim steak and some homemade Aioli (which is horrible). Im now on my fat bomb and hope i keep it down better than the last one! Had a bit of an appetite when I came home from work - first time this week.

So today I had two pork belly chops for breaky, 1 for lunch and a sirloin with aioli and some fat bomb. This works out roughly at 70g protien and 140 grams fat with little to zero carbs. I think that will be for the day.

Back
Top Bottom