Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Sweetened coffee makes me specially hungry.

It reminds me the concept in functional medicine: when you start the diet, it is best to have zero sweeteners for at least a couple of weeks in order to "reset" your taste buds and curb down cravings.

Some of you might try taking turpentine. I found that after taking turpentine some issues with carbs and sweets that lingered after going into ketosis went away. In general I can eat more kinds and amounts of carbs, although it is possible to reverse the effect if you eat too much.

I've been researching how to stay in Keto when you go abroad, and as you usually stay in a hotel without access to an oven, and sometimes not even a fridge! it's proving to be difficult in terms of making meals.

I'm going to Amsterdam in the new year and was thinking of ways to take pudding, fat bars etc by freezing them and taking them in a suitcase, but that doesn't seem like such a good idea when they would be in the suitcase for around 3 hours..

It seems the best bet is to just eat blocks of butter with 'cold cuts' throughout the day, and will have to find a supplement store somewhere there. If worse comes to worse, for fats, cheese may come in handy?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

lilyalic said:
I've been researching how to stay in Keto when you go abroad, and as you usually stay in a hotel without access to an oven, and sometimes not even a fridge! it's proving to be difficult in terms of making meals.

I'm going to Amsterdam in the new year and was thinking of ways to take pudding, fat bars etc by freezing them and taking them in a suitcase, but that doesn't seem like such a good idea when they would be in the suitcase for around 3 hours..

It seems the best bet is to just eat blocks of butter with 'cold cuts' throughout the day, and will have to find a supplement store somewhere there. If worse comes to worse, for fats, cheese may come in handy?

Cheese iz evil. Amsterdam actually has quite some bio stores: Ekoplaza and Marqt for example. You can google for addresses on these names. There's also the main supermarket (not entirely bio, but better if you're on a tight budget) called Albert Heijn, it also sells pork rinds (knabbelspek), be sure to check the ingredients though. As a snack you can try butter wrapped in Parma ham. A supermarket called Jumbo also sells pre-cooked bacon, it has some stuff in it though, but it's okay for a snack too. A cheaper supermarket is called Lidl.

Amsterdam also has some bio restaurants that include dishes without gluten/casein (but best to always ask to be sure). I recommend Bloem36, great restaurant, and not too expensive: _http://www.bloem36.nl/ For supplements you can check Ekoplaza stores, or de Tuinen. And in case you need tobacco, look for a Primera store, they usually sell American Spirit tobacco. Just a couple of suggestions. :)

Oxajil said:
Cheese iz evil. Amsterdam actually has quite some bio stores: Ekoplaza and Marqt for example. You can google for addresses on these names. There's also the main supermarket (not entirely bio, but better if you're on a tight budget) called Albert Heijn, it also sells pork rinds (knabbelspek), be sure to check the ingredients though. As a snack you can try butter wrapped in Parma ham. A supermarket called Jumbo also sells pre-cooked bacon, it has some stuff in it though, but it's okay for a snack too. A cheaper supermarket is called Lidl.

Amsterdam also has some bio restaurants that include dishes without gluten/casein (but best to always ask to be sure). I recommend Bloem36, great restaurant, and not too expensive: _http://www.bloem36.nl/ For supplements you can check Ekoplaza stores, or de Tuinen. And in case you need tobacco, look for a Primera store, they usually sell American Spirit tobacco. Just a couple of suggestions. :)

Thank you so much for those markets you provided! I'm writing them down just now, :)
I'll definitely be trying that restaurant out for my birthday :)

They also have little pop up food stalls near the city centre that sell fresh fish ready to eat. You can order a wee cardboard tray and add your own butter. I remember there being one really close to the flower market (bloemenmarkt).

lilyalic said:

Hey lilyalic, there was a brief discussion entitled: Keto - Traveling and Eating Out, which may be of interest - and if you come up with any tips, let us know :) http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36312.msg528975.html#msg528975

itellsya said:
Hey lilyalic, there was a brief discussion entitled: Keto - Traveling and Eating Out, which may be of interest - and if you come up with any tips, let us know :) http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36312.msg528975.html#msg528975

Thank you! Shows how lazy I was in trying to search for this as I "Couldn't find it" haha

Going to give it a look over and take notes :)

Just as a general reminder for everyone, remember to eat organ meats often (particularly liver) if you can. Of course, it's important to eat the organs of healthy animals, so pastured animals is what you're looking for. I found a really good new butcher recently and have been eating liver at least three times a week. It's probably the most nutrient dense food one can eat.

SeekinTruth said:
Just as a general reminder for everyone, remember to eat organ meats often (particularly liver) if you can. Of course, it's important to eat the organs of healthy animals, so pastured animals is what you're looking for. I found a really good new butcher recently and have been eating liver at least three times a week. It's probably the most nutrient dense food one can eat.

Agreed, thanks for the reminder. Liver has a disagreeable taste which makes it easy to "forget" to eat, but it is easily worth it.

SeekinTruth said:
Liver, butter and sauerkraut is delicious . I highly recommend it.

Carl said:
SeekinTruth said:

Agreed, thanks for the reminder. Liver has a disagreeable taste which makes it easy to "forget" to eat, but it is easily worth it.

Same :) Just a suggestion for anyone who would like to sneak in these delicacies; recently i was treated to some amazing Faggots and would highly recommend them to anyone (probably only in the UK but i expect other countries will have something similar).
I guess they're like haggis/meatballs..

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28food%29
Faggots are a traditional dish in the UK,[1][2] especially South and Mid Wales and the Midlands of England.[3][4][5] It is made from meat off-cuts and offal, especially pork.[3] A faggot is traditionally made from pig's heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes bread crumbs.

Watch out for the breadcrumbs and i suggest going to a grass fed butchers ,as per SeekinTruths advice! Other than that, i'm eating a lot of Pate (and with Christmas coming up, i'm finding alot of them in the reduced/going out of date section ;)

Also, i totally forgot about bone broth for a bit - i think it was because, even though i had made it over many months, i'd never totally got the recipe down. Then recently i realised that it was lacking salt, added some, and now i understand when people say they can drink the stuff for breakfast. Also using it to make 'gravy' with sausages or adding to mince meat is amazing. I recently found a butchers which sells chicken carcasses/marrow bones/pigs feet, so i'm happy :)

Well, I love the taste of liver (kidneys too), with LOTS of pastured/grass-fed butter. I guess I consider myself lucky that I love to eat something so nutritious. Although, I did hate liver when I was a kid, so I can relate to being turned off from the taste....

SeekinTruth said:
Well, I love the taste of liver (kidneys too), with LOTS of pastured/grass-fed butter. I guess I consider myself lucky that I love to eat something so nutritious. Although, I did hate liver when I was a kid, so I can relate to being turned off from the taste....

One way to reduce the gamey flavor of liver is to marinate it in olive oil, salt, and a little apple cider vinegar for a few hours.

Nothing like fresh calves liver cooked with bacon and onions, garlic and plenty of black pepper! Food of the gods!

Also, chicken livers are a treat!

Back
Top Bottom