Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

I have been avoiding the liver mainly because of high iron content. I had problems with high ferritin serum. But now that I am doing the workouts and taking the cold showers I feel much better. So I might as well try and get me some chicken livers.

tohuwabohu said:
I have been avoiding the liver mainly because of high iron content. I had problems with high ferritin serum. But now that I am doing the workouts and taking the cold showers I feel much better. So I might as well try and get me some chicken livers.

Just be sure to donate blood regularly... I think I need to go down and give some myself about now.

So things have been going pretty well; no more diarrhea :) my pants are getting looser, so I guess i'm losing a little weight. Ketostix consistently at least 40 mg/dL. Yesterday I had some sesame seed butter mixed with butter for a snack (only thing different) and this morning woke with major swelling around my eyes. That's OK, it was disgusting anyway. But the thing I wondered is this; does anyone else get really hot sometimes? I wake sometimes in the night SO hot, but not sweating. I am much too young for menopause, so I don't think that is the reason...
All in all, though, things are going quite well :)

Meechel17 said:
So things have been going pretty well; no more diarrhea :) my pants are getting looser, so I guess i'm losing a little weight. Ketostix consistently at least 40 mg/dL. Yesterday I had some sesame seed butter mixed with butter for a snack (only thing different) and this morning woke with major swelling around my eyes. That's OK, it was disgusting anyway. But the thing I wondered is this; does anyone else get really hot sometimes? I wake sometimes in the night SO hot, but not sweating. I am much too young for menopause, so I don't think that is the reason...

Well, during the adaptation the body loses some water so you might drink more. Even before going to bed if this is the case for you. If you are dehydrated, your body can't efficiently regulate the temperature and you will be hot. This happened to me also. I started to drink more water and everything is ok. This is totally natural. Also ditch the coffee if you drink it a lot or limit the intake because it is highly diuretic.
If you follow this advice you should get better.

Laura said:
tohuwabohu said:

Just be sure to donate blood regularly... I think I need to go down and give some myself about now.

I am not that much into needles. Is there some alternative to blood donation?
If not then no chicken livers for me :(

tohuwabohu said:
Laura said:
tohuwabohu said:

I am not that much into needles. Is there some alternative to blood donation?
If not then no chicken livers for me :(

I don't like needles much either so what I sometimes do is purchase an emla patch beforehand which is a general anesthetic that numbs the skin so you don't feel the needle going in.

Only other option to blood donation is EDTA, but that takes longer to chelate iron out (and also chelates other minerals so you have to supplement with a high quality multi-mineral supplement).

itellsya said:
Seppo Ilmarinen said:
mugatea said:
Laura said:
I've found that the most efficient way to get the fat in is by drinking buttered tea in the morning. I can tolerate about 2 tablespoons of butter in a large mug. If I have two of these before noon, I'm rarely hungry the rest of the day but if I am, I snack on bacon or a fatty sausage. Late in the day, we might have dinner: a piece of meat and a small portion of green beans or a couple of slices of ham rolled up in a lettuce leaf with mayonnaise, or whatever. I eat a couple fat bombs a week, but mainly, I'm finding that the buttered tea is the "Bomb".

I've thought about the buttered tea, I think I'll have to try it. Thanks!

Jamie

I've also been doing this for every morning. It's very efficient and easy way to get fat. You can also use hand blender to quickly smooth the butter and/or coconut oil into the tea, so it becomes nice and silky. I sometimes also blend 1-2 organic egg yolks into the tea. They don't affect the flavour much but do give nice foamy texture in addition to their nutrient content.

I find my morning 150g x 3 egg yoke fat bomb in the morning is more than enough to carry me through the day - and that is how it feels - if i top up at lunch with a bit of protein. It did take me some time to adjust and i may lower it a little, but i've been doing it for 6 months straight and almost couldn't do with out it. I know if i'm feeling tired it's the only thing that stops me feeling like crap. Adding coconut oil seems to help me think.

On a recent outing I took some butter (and xylitol) with me and, because tea's not my thing and i needed a coffee, i just chopped off 50g of butter popped it in the paper cup and they dropped the espresso in direct. Maybe because it was so hot, it emulsified perfectly and was just a silky espresso and because, i think, the caffeine is 'buffered' by the fat, it doesn't give you the shakes (if you're sensitive). I'm not advising anyone to start supping coffee, just my experience.

Yeah, I am the same. I take some organic coffee beans, 2-3 tablespoon of grass feed butter, 2 tablespoon of MCT coconut oil extract and one teaspoon of xylitol, mixed all together in the mixer and voila! After that I go at 9 AM to work ( massage therapist - 7-9 clients/day) till 5.30 PM and except of my bone broth at 1 PM I don't need to eat. No cravings, no hunger...(I am now on the keto diet with some one-day slips for 2 years and a half now ). Then dinner, which is my only meal everyday ( some eggs, bacon, avocado, sometimes some salmon with avocado salad, occasionally some blueberries) I have usually between 6 and 7 PM. Works fine for me.

Meechel17 said:

Seeds are generally problematical across the board. Even if you do not have an immediate and noticeable reaction to them, they are probably doing bad things to your system.

Back when we were first experimenting, flaxseed oil was touted as the greatest thing and I couldn't figure out why it was affecting me so badly until I read some stuff about seeds being full of anti-nutrients.

And yes, the metabolic changes during transition seem to manifest something like "hot flashes".

Be sure to take a good probiotic now and again as this can really help digestion too.

Laura said:
Seeds are generally problematical across the board. Even if you do not have an immediate and noticeable reaction to them, they are probably doing bad things to your system.

Back when we were first experimenting, flaxseed oil was touted as the greatest thing and I couldn't figure out why it was affecting me so badly until I read some stuff about seeds being full of anti-nutrients.

And yes, the metabolic changes during transition seem to manifest something like "hot flashes".

Be sure to take a good probiotic now and again as this can really help digestion too.

Thanks Laura, I really knew before trying that the sesame seed butter wouldn't work out. It was a last ditch effort at being able to have type of seed or nut. It was the only one I had never tested, and surprise! Just like the others, it is a no-go!
Good to know about the hot flashes being common, I really am not ready for menopause yet...
And I have been eating a scoop of raw fermented sauerkraut with every meal. Somehow I can remember to do that, but could never remember to take probiotic capsules. Do you think I should try harder to remember, or is the 'kraut adequate?
Thank you for your kind advice :)

If you are having the kraut, that's probably good enough.

Even though I know this or that is not compatible with my system, I do still try such things out once in awhile. The only exceptions that I NEVER try out at all, EVER, are wheat and dairy. Casein causes me so much pain that my system remembers graphically and horribly the ordeals I've been through after such lapses. Wheat gluten, too.

Laura said:
If you are having the kraut, that's probably good enough.

Even though I know this or that is not compatible with my system, I do still try such things out once in awhile. The only exceptions that I NEVER try out at all, EVER, are wheat and dairy. Casein causes me so much pain that my system remembers graphically and horribly the ordeals I've been through after such lapses. Wheat gluten, too.

I completely agree on the wheat thing - I religiously stay away from all grain. I also know I can't digest dairy, so am pretty good about that as well, other than butter. I saw your posts about the buttered tea being "the bomb", and have to say you are absolutely right! Love my tea!! I tried the fat bomb thing with coconut oil and it did NOT go well, but the tea is perfect!!

I have a question. I'm in south East Asia at the moment and I was wondering what effect the ketogenic diet has on mosquito bites. I know it helps to strengthen the immune system and I read in "life without bread" that it was inadvisable to get inoculations as the immune system is likely to react aggressively toward them.
Now I have 2 mosquito bites that are very inflamed, much more so than I remember them getting the last time I travelled (I was on the SAD diet then). So I'm wondering if my immune system is going postal on these bites here? Otherwise I'm completely fine.

lainey said:
Now I have 2 mosquito bites that are very inflamed, much more so than I remember them getting the last time I travelled (I was on the SAD diet then). So I'm wondering if my immune system is going postal on these bites here? Otherwise I'm completely fine.

Do your best to detox and stay away from GMOs, trans fats, gluten, etc... You can use your favorite natural remedy or even some cortisone cream to calm down the inflammation.

Bug bites and allergic reactions are getting more aggressive by the season. Or so it seems to me! Another sign of the time?

Laura said:

I've been to donate blood three times, and all those three times the nurses have stated that my veins in my arm aren't compatible with the needles, basically saying the vein would collapse. I increased Vitamin B intake and would've thought through Paleo and then Keto, the vein would have some how become more prominent. Silly eh? I guess it has a lot to do with my age too.

Back
Top Bottom