Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Okay, I just finished my first batch of bone broth, and I'm kinda proud of me :cool: this is absolutely delicious ! My butcher sells me 8 big grass-fed beef bone marrow for 3€, I used 4 of them with two carrots, an onion, some thyme, laurel, and of course some dill because my mom used to always add dill in her broths. 1.5 L of water, 1h30 with a pressure cooker and voilà ! A very, very fatty bone broth. I'll see tomorrow morning if the broth turns into jelly.

Megan said:
More food for thought, from AAAS:

Hungry Monkeys Not Living Longer
_http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/08/caloric-restriction-in-monkeys.html?ref=hp&utm_source=buffer&buffer_share=93573

I can't stop to look for the research right now (assuming that it is even published yet), but this is one more input. Maybe later today.

There is chatter about this in the research community. There has been a lot of interest in whether data from experiments with mice actually would apply to humans (or at least primates) as well. Nature published this letter:
_http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11432.html ($32 if you want to see all of it; I'd rather see the original reports)

And also there is this tweet:
Stephan Guyenet said:
This questions the idea that CR has lifespan benefits in primates beyond eating nutritious whole food and staying relatively lean

I can't wait to see Rosedale's response.

Edit: The letter in Nature appears to be the original report. The ScienceNow article links to it.

Laura said:
seek10 said:
Thank you psyche, Megan, dougdeep for the input. Yes, tallow is waxy and found it to be difficult to increase the fat quantity , though little easy to swallow with bone broth. I do have coconut oil and can reintroduce it and see how it sees. I also have some pork lard and can try to supplement and see how it works.

Ditch the coconut stuff. Just lard and some ghee if you can't do butter. So many people have problems with coconut that it is better to stay on the safe side.

You might also want to take a couple magnesium malate and a potassium before bed.
I was taking maganesium citrate and I will switch it to malate (probably I have to buy it) and potassium I will make it a regular.

Last time when I made Bone broth, I only did for 3 hours. I will have to get one electrical ones as I feel uneasy to keep gas going for so long.

Another thing I was finding very difficult is not to sleep after lunch and doesn't feel like working at all though pressing stuff is on my head ( guess "lethargic" as others mentioned).

I don't think our objective is to limit calories, but rather to control protein intake and have all the fat we want, fat being calories.

Laura said:
I don't think our objective is to limit calories, but rather to control protein intake and have all the fat we want, fat being calories.

Yes. The caloric restriction questions come from the life extension research reported in Primal Body, Primal Mind, and elsewhere and also in understanding what is meant by "ketogenic diet" when reading research papers. I think what we are doing here is fine. The implications I see are:
  • There should be no need to worry about shortening one's life by consuming too much protein, just on the basis of the life extension/mTOR/etc. research. We probably don't want to eat gobs of protein a la "Standard American Diet" but I don't think anyone here is doing that. It's not only OK but important to experiment with protein intake, to look for ways to optimize the diet. Any life expectancy change is small enough that we can't objectively measure it (and there are so many other things in the offing that might shorten it!)
  • When considering research papers that discuss ketogenic diet, check to see if the diet also included extreme caloric restriction that could skew the results. This is not always obvious just from reading a report. (And as always, examine the nutrient profile of the diet for toxic/inflammatory foods, just to be aware of other potential "confounders.")

seek10 said:
Last time when I made Bone broth, I only did for 3 hours. I will have to get one electrical ones as I feel uneasy to keep gas going for so long.

A crock-pot might be a good method for you for making bone broth. Just put the bones in and turn it on (low?) and wait 24 hours, from my understanding. Alternatively, you could use a pressure cooker to cook them for only a few hours and that should be adequate too. I think there are some posts further back on this thread discussing the details a bit more.

Foxx said:
seek10 said:

A crock-pot might be a good method for you for making bone broth. Just put the bones in and turn it on (low?) and wait 24 hours, from my understanding. Alternatively, you could use a pressure cooker to cook them for only a few hours and that should be adequate too. I think there are some posts further back on this thread discussing the details a bit more.

A low simmer so yes, the "low" setting on a crockpot. I did not receive any replies earlier (or I missed it) when I asked if the higher cooking temperature of a pressure cooker would/would not damage nutrients. Does anybody know?

nicklebleu said:
Laura said:
Just thought I would mention a bit about stools. I've noticed a significant change in frequency (every three days, approx.) and consistency: more like the stools of a very young infant except for color. The "except for color" would be due to the substances consumed: meats/broth vs mother's milk. But the consistency is about the same: somewhat loose, small in size/amount.

Now, I wonder if this is what some of ya'll are referring to as diarrhea? It's not, actually. As I just said, it is more like what an infant produces under normal circumstances. They don't get "well-formed" stools until you start feeding them veggies and grains. Until then, their stools are some bits of solid matter accompanied by more liquidy stuff. It's often described as like "curds".

Second, for those of you having trouble finding any butcher or meat dept manager who will cut up some big bones for you, try a different store or ask for ox tails for soup.

I have made a similar observation ...

As before I had to take magnesium and vit. C to have a bowel movement every one to two days (otherwise they would be very hard and painful) I have recently had a bowel movement only every two to three days - BUT with the right consistency AND without any mag or vit. C! Only thing is a bit of a different smell - "unpleasant".

I've noticed the same with my stool. I do have an extremely small movement most days. And though I'm eating no carbs the stool is "unpleasant"smelling and I'm passing small amounts of "unpleasant" gas as well. I blame autophagy.

I'm gonna up my fat intake in my broth. Today was my restriction day and I was very peckish. I found myself thinking about Cheetohs. I can't remember the last time I had a cheetoh.

Odyssey said:
I've noticed the same with my stool. I do have an extremely small movement most days. And though I'm eating no carbs the stool is "unpleasant"smelling and I'm passing small amounts of "unpleasant" gas as well. I blame autophagy.

I'm gonna up my fat intake in my broth. Today was my restriction day and I was very peckish. I found myself thinking about Cheetohs. I can't remember the last time I had a cheetoh.

If you have just reached this stage, you might want to give it some time. Every shift in diet is a shift in internal ecology, and some "residents" may not be happy about it. I have been taking a slightly different approach with the same goal in mind, and now this is the main problem I am dealing with as well. First it was FODMAP foods, which I eliminated. The effect was to reduce this very effect. Eliminating FODMAPS, however, lowered my carb intake and after not to long I encountered the present problem -- same symptoms, but with no FODMAP intake to speak of.

I am guessing that at least in my case it may be a problem with the composition of my gut bacteria, which may have always been off since childhood. (I have always had "gut issues" of one sort or another.) So that might be a difference, but it is possible that it doesn't matter and that it would apply to others here as well. I have tried starving it out (the offending bacteria, not me) by lowering carbs even further, but that does not appear to be working even after a week or two. It doesn't make things worse but it doesn't make things better. I have also tried eating a raw carrot a day (an idea from the Ray Peat camp). This is said to have an anti-microbial effect. It may have led to some improvement, but not much so far.

My next step is to try adding fermented vegetables to my diet. I meant to do the research and start last weekend, but I became involved in too many side projects. So I am going to go at it again this weekend, if not sooner. The idea is to try a traditional form of food that has the potential to improve the variety of gut bacteria.

Megan said:
Foxx said:
seek10 said:

A low simmer so yes, the "low" setting on a crockpot. I did not receive any replies earlier (or I missed it) when I asked if the higher cooking temperature of a pressure cooker would/would not damage nutrients. Does anybody know?

I don't think so, but I'm really not sure. I think a lot of the idea to keep a stock at a very low simmer comes out of the culinary industry, where they are obsessed with appearance and taste more than nourishment. Keeping a stock on a very low simmer ensures that it will be crystal clear in appearance. If a stock boils too hard it becomes cloudy since some of the fats get emulsified (they also remove all of the fat that renders out as the stock cooks to ensure the stock's "purity"). When I was in the restaurant biz my chef told me a story of how, when he was an apprentice, his chef once made him throw out an entire stock, a good 20 gallons or so, because it was too cloudy. A rather expensive way to make a point.

But, since I can't see most people here caring about whether or not their stock is cloudy, I think pressure cooking it should be fine. I can't think of anything in the stock nutrient-wise that would be affected by the increased heat (although again, I'm not entirely sure about that).

dugdeep said:
I don't think so, but I'm really not sure. I think a lot of the idea to keep a stock at a very low simmer comes out of the culinary industry, where they are obsessed with appearance and taste more than nourishment. Keeping a stock on a very low simmer ensures that it will be crystal clear in appearance. If a stock boils too hard it becomes cloudy since some of the fats get emulsified (they also remove all of the fat that renders out as the stock cooks to ensure the stock's "purity"). When I was in the restaurant biz my chef told me a story of how, when he was an apprentice, his chef once made him throw out an entire stock, a good 20 gallons or so, because it was too cloudy. A rather expensive way to make a point.

But, since I can't see most people here caring about whether or not their stock is cloudy, I think pressure cooking it should be fine. I can't think of anything in the stock nutrient-wise that would be affected by the increased heat (although again, I'm not entirely sure about that).

Taste and nourishment become closely related when you eliminate toxins like refined sugar that throw your sense of taste off. Taste is a big part of how other animals determine what to eat. You have a sophisticated real-time nutritient profiler right there in your mouth, between your senses of taste and smell.

I have seen several broth recipes that warn about keeping the temperature as low as possible. This is similar to the caution that goes with feeding pets raw food -- if you heat the raw food too much then important nutrients are destroyed.

The broth is being heated to boiling so I imagine some nutrients are going to cook out, and part of the human adaptation to cooking is the ability to accommodate cooked food in spite of that. Still, the higher the temperature the more opportunities there will be for chemical changes, just as in other forms of cooking such as baking. Cloudiness itself wouldn't seem to matter, but what chemical change does it represent? Is it favorable or unfavorable? I don't have enough information to tell.

Megan said:
dugdeep said:

Taste and nourishment become closely related when you eliminate toxins like refined sugar that throw your sense of taste off. Taste is a big part of how other animals determine what to eat. You have a sophisticated real-time nutritient profiler right there in your mouth, between your senses of taste and smell.

True, but in the restaurant industry taste and appearance are favoured to the detriment of nourishment more often than not. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. My point was that, after working in the industry for several years, I am familiar with the fact that many things that are considered the "right way" of doing things have no logic from a nourishment perspective. On the other hand, some things are the opposite and make a whole lot of sense even though many of the cooks who perform the tasks don't actually know why they're doing it that way except that it's "how it's done". In this case I'm speculating that the "keep stocks on a gentle boil" may be simply about clarity, not nourishment.

[quote author=Megan]
I have seen several broth recipes that warn about keeping the temperature as low as possible. This is similar to the caution that goes with feeding pets raw food -- if you heat the raw food too much then important nutrients are destroyed. [/quote]

Yes, I would go so far as to say all bone broth recipes say that. It's how it's done. But again, I can't see why that's completely necessary. I can't think of anything in a stock that would withstand 100 degrees but fall apart at 120. Minerals are impervious to heat. The protein component, geleatin, obviously maintains its integrity if the stock still 'gels' when put in the fridge. When people talk about keeping foods raw, it's usually to maintain the integrity of proteins since heat will denature most proteins. This destroys things like enzymes. But since a simmering stock is at 100 degrees, almost all proteins are going to be denatured at that point and raising it to 120 degrees isn't going to do anything more, OSIT.

[quote author=Megan]
The broth is being heated to boiling so I imagine some nutrients are going to cook out, and part of the human adaptation to cooking is the ability to accommodate cooked food in spite of that. Still, the higher the temperature the more opportunities there will be for chemical changes, just as in other forms of cooking such as baking.
[/quote]

A lot of the issue with vitamins 'cooking out' of foods actually comes from them escaping, not necessarily being destroyed. That's why nutritionists will often tell you to save the boiling water from vegetables for stocks or sauces. My mother used to always take the boiling water from veggies and add it to the gravy.

[quote author=Megan]
Cloudiness itself wouldn't seem to matter, but what chemical change does it represent? Is it favorable or unfavorable? I don't have enough information to tell.[/quote]

As I said, the cloudiness is a result of the fats emulsifying into the broth. Emulsification in and of itself is harmless, as long as the fats aren't being oxidized (which is unlikely in a liquid medium). For the most part, it's a physical change, not a chemical one.

I personally don't think there's anything to worry about using a pressure cooker to make a stock. I could be proven wrong here, but I can't think of anything that would be destroyed.

dugdeep said:
...I personally don't think there's anything to worry about using a pressure cooker to make a stock. I could be proven wrong here, but I can't think of anything that would be destroyed.

I did some more digging and confirmed what you said. Here's what Stephan Guyenet says about nutrient loss:

(Q) I would love to use a pressure cooker for bone broth, but WAPF-types warn against it because they say doing so destroys enzymes and denatures proteins. Anyone know if there's any validity to this?

(A) All cooking destroys enzymes and denatures proteins. Thermally denaturing molecules including proteins is THE reason why we cook food-- it makes it more digestible, more tender, kills pathogens, and in some ways makes it more nutritious. The only way to preserve enzyme activity and not denature proteins is to eat your food raw. But obviously our digestive tract secretes plenty of enzymes so the lack of enzymes in cooked food isn't a barrier to digestion.

The entire blog post, which is about pressure cookers, is at _http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/06/pressure-cooker-for-21st-century.html

Megan said:
I am guessing that at least in my case it may be a problem with the composition of my gut bacteria, which may have always been off since childhood. (I have always had "gut issues" of one sort or another.) So that might be a difference, but it is possible that it doesn't matter and that it would apply to others here as well. I have tried starving it out (the offending bacteria, not me) by lowering carbs even further, but that does not appear to be working even after a week or two.

I think that starving the offending bacteria out won't happen in one or two weeks, and I also don't think that just lowering one's carbs can get the job done as ''quickly'' (or as comfortable). Which is why I think that along with lowering one's carbs (gradually), one should take enough bone broth and (especially take) additional gut-healing supplements etc. in order to get your system gradually changed to another better fuel, which would then eventually lead to the right gut flora best suited for a ketogenic diet (if that is what you're aiming at). The supplements/bone broth/organs mixed with fats/other healing foods will all benefit/heal your gut in one way or another. And the going low-carb part will create the kind of environment in which the good bacteria/flora can live best in. So it kind of goes hand in hand. Atleast that is how I understand it, and it is how my process went (so a big for what it's worth), and most of my gut healing sure didn't happen in a few weeks! Now that my gut is healed for a great part, I don't take the gut healing supplements anymore, and currently only take magnesium.

I don't know, eating carrots and fermented vegetables kind of sounds contradictory to me, as I think that the kind of (good) bacteria that thrive on carrots/fermented veggies differ from those that thrive on a fatty/meat ketogenic type of diet. But maybe the fermented veggies could be a step to some healing, and from there you can eat a bit less of them and slowly go into low-carb? I don't know though, just my thoughts here.

Megan said:

I thought we talked about this on some other thread but can't remember where.

The pressure cooker keeps the nutrients better especially if you keep the heat low. We do the broth in the pressure cooker but it is on the lowest heat setting and it never "spits". We have two electric burners on the 6 burner cooktop and I use them for the pressure cooker because I can get and maintain that super low setting and leave the pot there all night.

As for the bowel issues, yes, it seems that each change brings about a whole new state inside and I'm interested to see what transpires after this particular change. The stronger odor does go away after a week or so. There is not only autophagy, but the massive die-off of a lot of bacteria that stay in the gut when veggies keep getting introduced. I am pretty convinced at this point that veggie digesting bacteria are not a good thing to carry around inside. I am pretty okay with the "infant-like" stools since it suggests that nearly all of what I am eating is being digested and utilized and there is a minimum of waste. It has definitely ended any and all IBS type symptoms in the house which afflicted a few people here.

Back
Top Bottom