Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Hmm, interesting, thanks for your response Prodigal Son.

I `m experiencing a constant burning sensation in my eyes. Yesterday is when it started. Nothing has changed environmentally or diet wise.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen being on the KD. I feel great even to the point of feeling a little euphoric.

Maybe I`m lacking something?

Nancy2feathers said:
I `m experiencing a constant burning sensation in my eyes. Yesterday is when it started. Nothing has changed environmentally or diet wise.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen being on the KD. I feel great even to the point of feeling a little euphoric.

That's concerning. Are you sure nothing has changed? Anything in the air in the house? New soap, detergent, candle, anything that could be airborne? New appliance or cooking pots or piece of clothing?

Last week we used lamp oil and burned candles. We stopped using them when we got our power back this past Sat.
It`s strange because it started yesterday (Tues). I`m eating the same and drinking the same. I have been making the blk tea stronger.

Psalehesost said:
I've been eating much more lately - each meal probably two to three times as large - but still maintaining a 50% fat to meat (not fat to protein) ratio when cooking my meals. So a meal can end up with at least around 130-140g of meat (before cooking) and the same amount, or a bit more, of tallow (before rendering).

My weight remains lower, though, and I think I'll have to train back the lost muscle/weight.

Increased protein does increase appetite, though increased fat keeps me sated. I guess I'll see when it comes to restricting protein again - to a more sensible extent. I think I'll follow dugdeep's advice to keep it up (i.e. pretty much as now) until fully recovered, which means all strength and weight back.

I wrote too soon - while I appeared to hit a weight gain ceiling not so long after increasing protein, I then found I'd gained back the energy for an exercise session. And I just found that in the last few days, which immediately followed it, I've gained back half the lost weight. My muscles are still sore, though, so I'll wait before doing another exercise session.

Psalehesost said:
Yesterday I found myself getting warmer, actually sweating on the bus to the university [...]

I just returned from a bicycle trip to buy food, and on the way back it was chilly - enough for my hands to get rather cold. But it felt like they were warming from inside - very unusual for me.

lwu02eb said:
...Also, did/ does anyone feel like they are generating vast quantities of heat? I feel like I'm burning up and my mind us going to internally combust with all the thoughts whirling around. I keep thinking "I need to write that down in my journal, it's great" but I don't know where it's all coming from! I'm not really hugely concerned about it, more curious really.

Yes, I have noticed it too, at times. One thing that has come out in the reading here (specifically the Mitochondrial Energetics paper) is that the mitochondria can produce both ATP from ADP and also generate heat by, in effect, partially short-circuiting the capacitor that drives ATP synthesis. The proportions of ATP and heat produced depend upon the prevailing "coupling efficiency" of the system.

How coupling efficiency is determined and regulated is not at all clear to me from what I have read so far. One thing that seems apparent is that any "calories in, calories out" explanation of metabolism that fails to take mitochondrial coupling efficiency into account is nonsense. Excess food energy inputs do not have to be stored as fat or in any other material form. They can be dissipated as heat, and I wonder if that is part of what we are seeing, as a way that the body regulates weight.

Some individuals (myself included) may exhibit hypothyroid symptoms, including reduced body temperature and cold extremities. Thyroid hormones enter cells and bind to DNA, altering gene expression and potentially affecting many aspects of cell behavior. I don't know for sure, but improving one's diet may correct some hypothyroid issues, in people that have problems with it. I am really not sure if I feel warm now, or if I simply don't feel cold as usual.

Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) in particular metabolize easily, and may make you feel warm. Coconut oil is high in them, as is (I believe) pasture butter. If you are consuming a lot of MCTs, that might explain the sensation.

Great information Megan, thank you. I too used to be cold all the time so this is new for me. I do eat a fair amount of pasture butter so that could be a key contributor.

Nancy2feathers said:
Last week we used lamp oil and burned candles. We stopped using them when we got our power back this past Sat.
It`s strange because it started yesterday (Tues). I`m eating the same and drinking the same. I have been making the blk tea stronger.
I'm pretty sure Shane mentioned you got a woodstove. If so, maybe it's related to the smoke or lack of humidity. Our house is very dry now and I have to keep a pan of water on top of the stove. Just a thought. Hope you are feeling better.

Chrissy said:
Nancy2feathers said:
I'm pretty sure Shane mentioned you got a woodstove. If so, maybe it's related to the smoke or lack of humidity. Our house is very dry now and I have to keep a pan of water on top of the stove. Just a thought. Hope you are feeling better.

You can try some artificial tears or physiological solution to soothe the irritation. I have tried colloidal silver to soothe irritation with good results as well.

Psalehesost said:
beetlemaniac said:
Psalehesost said:
Alternatively, one can simply skip sweeteners of all kinds. It's both simpler and cheaper, and unless one is addicted to the sweet taste (and the chemical response to it), the lack of sweetening really doesn't matter.

When you say our chemical response are you talking about dopamine?

Yes - the response that creates addiction. As far as I understand it, it doesn't even have to taste "sweet" to trigger a chemical response - what matters is that the taste buds register something. Though the response is to be stronger - significantly so - if along with registering "sweetness", any sugar (i.e. simple carb - it can be one without taste) is also present.

Thanks for the heads up. As I just posted in the coffee thread,

Another one that is suspicious to me is dark chocolate. Same thing like with coffee, good mood and then a pretty big crash afterwards. But chocolate has also a chemical cocktail. There are even diagnostic tools that screen for chemical producing tumors that forbid you to eat chocolate before the test. It is also very telling that they forbid you to eat fruits, vanilla, coffee, cocoa, coke, caffeine and mate beverages, vinegar, alcohol, nuts, gluten containing foods, night shade family, and mushrooms. That basically leaves just animal foods and perhaps herbal teas.

I've been a chocolate junkie my entire life. It has been very difficult to quit. I think that having sweetened tea with stevia or xylitol (I actually used Erythritol which is another sugar OH) has made it just plain difficult to stop the craving.

I actually stop all dark chocolate last week, even if it was like 2 grams of sugar. It was one of those things that you struggle all your life with and once you do it, you find it was not an issue at all to quit and actually find it liberating. I say this because I just spent the whole day without sweetened tea and I can't believe how much better I feel without that stimulation.

Chrissy said:
Nancy2feathers said:

Just wanted to mention that if the irritation is due to dry air or contaminated air, a nice air washing humidifier might go a long way.

I've been looking to purchase one myself.

Here are two I'm currently looking at this one and this one.

Psyche said:
I've been a chocolate junkie my entire life. It has been very difficult to quit. I think that having sweetened tea with stevia or xylitol (I actually used Erythritol which is another sugar OH) has made it just plain difficult to stop the craving.

I actually stop all dark chocolate last week, even if it was like 2 grams of sugar. It was one of those things that you struggle all your life with and once you do it, you find it was not an issue at all to quit and actually find it liberating. I say this because I just spent the whole day without sweetened tea and I can't believe how much better I feel without that stimulation.

Same here with regards to chocolate. The sad thing is I remember quitting all sweeteners a while back, but since I started work, they've crept back in again, along with night time chocolate, which helps me drift off to sleep. The work stress really gets to you, and it's a cunning excuse to indulge. I'm going to try quitting and your post has helped tons in pushing me towards what I feel is the right direction. I'm not enjoying the roller coaster of highs and lows that I'm experiencing every day now. I think it's also really affecting my memory retention and things like that.

lwu02eb said:

Also, did/ does anyone feel like they are generating vast quantities of heat?
I feel like I'm burning up and my mind us going to internally combust with all the thoughts whirling around. I keep thinking "I need to write that down in my journal, it's great" but I don't know where it's all coming from! I'm not really hugely concerned about it, more curious really.

Hi All,

I have been doing the bone broth (love it with a little crushed, dried rosemary and added bacon grease). Anyway, have been feeling great and having more energy during Taekwondo, but for the last nine days I have had a temperature of 99.2 degrees F, with a accompanying headache starting in the afternoon. I just took my temperature, and it is again 99.2 without a headache today. Last week when it started, I thought I was coming down with some illness, but nothing else ever manifested. I don't know if my immune system is just fighting something, or my body is adjusting to something, due to the diet.

Anyone else have an actual higher temperature?

beetlemaniac said:
Psyche said:

Same here with regards to chocolate. The sad thing is I remember quitting all sweeteners a while back, but since I started work, they've crept back in again, along with night time chocolate, which helps me drift off to sleep. The work stress really gets to you, and it's a cunning excuse to indulge. I'm going to try quitting and your post has helped tons in pushing me towards what I feel is the right direction. I'm not enjoying the roller coaster of highs and lows that I'm experiencing every day now. I think it's also really affecting my memory retention and things like that.

Is there chocolate and chocolate? Not all chocolate are good, I imagine. Eating a bar of Mars or eat Belgian or Swiss chocolate is not the same. I really don't know. Why do you think? I like chocolate and sometimes I eat ecological ones or Belgian but not so much since I started this diet. And today Sott have this article:

http://www.sott.net/article/253234-Chocolate-The-Candy-with-Powerful-Medicinal-Properties

So, can we eat chocolate some times in this diet or should we stopped completely? I imagine we should not eat it at all because of the sugar... Am I right?

Nancy2feathers said:

I don't know if this is related to your problem, but after being on the KD for ca a year I started having this strong pulsating "behind my eyes" in the mornings. After thinking hard about when it started, I realized that it had begun at the same time that I started having very cold showers two times a day. The symptoms disappeared when I cut back on the 'cold routine'.

Back
Top Bottom