Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

loreta said:
Is there chocolate and chocolate? Not all chocolate are good, I imagine. Eating a bar of Mars or eat Belgian or Swiss chocolate is not the same. I really don't know. Why do you think? I like chocolate and sometimes I eat ecological ones or Belgian but not so much since I started this diet. And today Sott have this article:

http://www.sott.net/article/253234-Chocolate-The-Candy-with-Powerful-Medicinal-Properties

So, can we eat chocolate some times in this diet or should we stopped completely? I imagine we should not eat it at all because of the sugar... Am I right?

Thinking just of the cocoa alone, I posted this in response to another post referencing that article in the coffee thread:
Psalehesost said:
It is however a bean, with the chemical defenses one would expect. (And personally, I've previously found that large amounts of pure cocoa irritate my gut.)

And given an addiction problem (as in the case of Psyche), staying on it would make no sense. Staying on any food that gives a chemical high with accompanying negative effects makes no sense.

There are many plants that seem to do good things, but it is generally the case that it's not all good. As such, I think it generally makes sense to forfeit these benefits in order to avoid the detrimental effects - there are plenty of great benefits to a pure animal-based diet as it is, and the beneficial effects of many plants are likely ones that compensate for problems avoided by a good diet. Such is the case with the benefits mentioned in that article. Remember, these studies are done on people in general, eating what people in general eat.

I've found cocoa to be generally not so good even plain and with xylitol for sweetening (lightly). So, I tend to avoid it except once in awhile. The sugar, of course, should be totally eliminated.

Psyche said:

Another one that is suspicious to me is dark chocolate. Same thing like with coffee, good mood and then a pretty big crash afterwards. But chocolate has also a chemical cocktail. There are even diagnostic tools that screen for chemical producing tumors that forbid you to eat chocolate before the test. It is also very telling that they forbid you to eat fruits, vanilla, coffee, cocoa, coke, caffeine and mate beverages, vinegar, alcohol, nuts, gluten containing foods, night shade family, and mushrooms. That basically leaves just animal foods and perhaps herbal teas.

I've been a chocolate junkie my entire life. It has been very difficult to quit. ...

I actually stop all dark chocolate last week, even if it was like 2 grams of sugar. It was one of those things that you struggle all your life with and once you do it, you find it was not an issue at all to quit and actually find it liberating. I say this because I just spent the whole day without sweetened tea and I can't believe how much better I feel without that stimulation.

Well, I've found a level of coffee beans for a cup of coffee that, as far as I'm aware, is free from a 'pretty big crash afterwards', ditto, with a teaspoon full of pure cacao powder in a mug of water. For me, the health benefits make the experience worthwhile - especially at my age. :)

My thoughts exactly about sweeteners.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Shane just picked up our wood stove yesterday. So I can count that out. I do think the humidifier is a good idea for the dry air.

I used colloidal silver drops in my eyes and they felt much better. I also took a couple magnesium malate tablets and a multi vitamin. Today my eyes feel much better. No burning sensation.

I think I figured out what caused the burning. We were transporting gasoline in the trunk of the car(out of necessity) for the generators and a little splashed out into the trunk. I was driving the car 2 days ago and could smell the gas fumes. I believe being in the car for that short of time caused the irritation. Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of the fumes? It still smells and I know it`s not a good idea to be driving the car like that. :scared:

Nancy2feathers said:
I think I figured out what caused the burning. We were transporting gasoline in the trunk of the car(out of necessity) for the generators and a little splashed out into the trunk. I was driving the car 2 days ago and could smell the gas fumes. I believe being in the car for that short of time caused the irritation. Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of the fumes? It still smells and I know it`s not a good idea to be driving the car like that. :scared:

Ah, that could very well be the cause. The first thing that comes to mind is using some sawdust to absorb it, but that may not work very well if it splashed on a fabric area, and I'm not sure if that's the best route for use in a car because I'm not sure how thorough it is in absorbing the diesel. Others, or google, may have better ideas than that.

For the future, if possible, one thing that might help would be to have some kind of rubber or plastic trunk liner (I know some hatchbacks--Subarus--have them) so the gas/diesel can spill on it and then you can just take it out and wash it off. Alternatively, for now, you might be able to take the fabric out of the trunk and wash it off too.

Nancy2feathers said:

Gas is pretty volatile so if you just leave the trunk open for a while it should dissipate.

Nancy2feathers said:

I've used to spill gasoline in my trunk once a long time ago (for the lawn mower), but it was carpeted so I used a carpet cleaner and sprayed with Febreze for a few continuous days for the smell. On the non-carpeted part of the trunk, I used Armor All, scrubbing real hard. However, this may or may not be a good suggestion. Just, for what it's worth.

I agree with Foxx about the future use.

Nancy2feathers said:

Go to a car wash, not a self serve one, and ask them if they have an extractor to shampoo the carpet and extract the gasoline. If you can't find a car wash nearby then hand scrub the carpet yourself with a good stiff brush, soap, and water and vacuum up the suds. Buy some air fresheners for the front of the car too.

beetlemaniac said:
The work stress really gets to you, and it's a cunning excuse to indulge. I'm going to try quitting and your post has helped tons in pushing me towards what I feel is the right direction. I'm not enjoying the roller coaster of highs and lows that I'm experiencing every day now. I think it's also really affecting my memory retention and things like that.

Yeah, it was initially the work stress that made me drift towards some indulgence. But it just made it worse. You can feel your inner child screaming for more and then your adult mind making all kinds of narratives to justify the craving, going even beyond food issues and then much energy is drained away from useful self-observation. "I need it to make it through the day", "it has barely any sugar", "it would give me some energy for the Work", and so forth. Yikes. Maybe a key to have it now and then is when you feel you don't need it. But then, what would be the point. Well, maybe a b-day party or something.

Psyche said:
...Yeah, it was initially the work stress that made me drift towards some indulgence. But it just made it worse. You can feel your inner child screaming for more and then your adult mind making all kinds of narratives to justify the craving, going even beyond food issues and then much energy is drained away from useful self-observation. "I need it to make it through the day", "it has barely any sugar", "it would give me some energy for the Work", and so forth. Yikes. Maybe a key to have it now and then is when you feel you don't need it. But then, what would be the point. Well, maybe a b-day party or something.

Work-related stress over the years has been my biggest weight-gain problem, starting in my 20's. This is not just "psychological" -- as I understand it stress conditions directly affect cortisol levels and, ultimately, appetite. Perhaps some people are more prone than others to go out of weight regulation when perpetually stressed. What would typically happen is that, eating high-carb, I would run out of gas and would then need to overeat to keep my brain going through the day. My appetite was broken, from a combination of stress and high carbs. It's taken 40 years to find accurate information about what to do.

The low-carb diet has made a huge difference, from the day I started it, but I do sometimes run low on energy during the day and I have to make sure that I have something zero-carb on hand. Usually a small snack such as salami with butter will do the trick. I also keep a can or two of salmon in my desk at the office, just in case.

I am currently losing weight, very slowly. To make that work, though, I have had to actively take steps to reduce stress at work. In doing so I have found that much of my stress is self-created in one way or another.

A minor update:

Today it had been quiete a bumpy ride. I woke up with cramps in the calf on both sides and at the same time, had a good dizzy spell, very slightly elevated blood sugar and felt nauseas about three hours after breakfast and since then I was pretty weak and had shaky legs. And the nauseas feeling reoccured then in the afternoon and a bit stronger with combined back pain then (I only trank just black tea with butter in the afternoon). I may suspect the butter, but it has no additives (just butter) and is only a different brand than I normally use. Hopefully tomorrow gonna be better again.

Laura said:
I've found cocoa to be generally not so good even plain and with xylitol for sweetening (lightly). So, I tend to avoid it except once in awhile. The sugar, of course, should be totally eliminated.

Same here, I tested it last week and added only a little bit organic cocoa (5grs.) and had some stomach problems afterwards, which was gone then after some hours. So it's not something for every week but once in a while, for special days with stevia :).

Gawan said:
A minor update:

Today it had been quiete a bumpy ride. I woke up with cramps in the calf on both sides and at the same time, had a good dizzy spell, very slightly elevated blood sugar and felt nauseas about three hours after breakfast and since then I was pretty weak and had shaky legs. And the nauseas feeling reoccured then in the afternoon and a bit stronger with combined back pain then (I only trank just black tea with butter in the afternoon). I may suspect the butter, but it has no additives (just butter) and is only a different brand than I normally use. Hopefully tomorrow gonna be better again.

Laura said:

Same here, I tested it last week and added only a little bit organic cocoa (5grs.) and had some stomach problems afterwards, which was gone then after some hours. So it's not something for every week but once in a while, for special days with stevia :).

FWIW It sounds like some of what you might be dealing with could be a lack of potassium or salt in your diet. I know that can give cramps and cause problems with nausea. If you suspect the butter, had you eaten it the night or day before, since you noticed the problems right away in the morning? I hope you can find the culprit and get to feeling better Gawan!

Hesper said:
FWIW It sounds like some of what you might be dealing with could be a lack of potassium or salt in your diet. I know that can give cramps and cause problems with nausea. If you suspect the butter, had you eaten it the night or day before, since you noticed the problems right away in the morning? I hope you can find the culprit and get to feeling better Gawan!

Could be. I take magnesium malate every night before bed and potassium about every other day. Plenty of salt and extra fat in my bone broth but I have to be careful not to get TOO much fat in there! I'm having it twice a day in a cup. We just make it, keep it on the stove on an electric burner turned to the lowest setting, and it's always there for whoever wants or needs it.

Laura said:
Hesper said:

Could be. I take magnesium malate every night before bed and potassium about every other day. Plenty of salt and extra fat in my bone broth but I have to be careful not to get TOO much fat in there! I'm having it twice a day in a cup. We just make it, keep it on the stove on an electric burner turned to the lowest setting, and it's always there for whoever wants or needs it.

I try to force myself every morning to drink salted water before I eat breakfast and take every two days magnesium hexahydrate transdermal. And about two times a week potassium with magnesium asparate (it's in one tablet) and magnesium malate. But must admit that I don't like the taste of it, the tablets are too big to swallow and so I use a mortar and it tastes a bit yucky.

The nauseas feeling came up after the breakfast (with the butter) the next morning and I eat at latest at six in the evening and if I ate too much fat I wake up about 2 in the morning

Anyway also the resistance exercise does drive my blood sugar up (considering my normal average) instead of down, when actually sport should burn sugar. At least I did watch it today very, very closely what is happening after the exercise and cold shower and there is a connection. I ask my doctor why this is or need to inject insulin beforehand. Which is actually the totally opposite before doing sports as a diabetic ;).

I want to report how the KD has improved my immune system to the point that it has been able to fight off three viral attacks so far this "flue season" which in the past usually ended up with really bad lung infections. I ride public transit to and from work and am exposed everyday to coughing and sneezing, a real incubator. At the first sign I also apply 20 to 40 grams of liquid vitamin D to my skin. It is nothing short of a miracle. There is also a marked decrease in the symptoms of chronic gout which has been painful for many years. A few months back I ate an organic chocolate bar and it caused a really painful flare up, probably because of the sugar since I enjoy cocoa with xylitol and butter without any reaction. It was an demonstration to me that it is just not worth it to eat things that will throw me out of ketosis or weaken my immune system with sugar. The gout also seems to be a good way to let me know when I'm eating too much protein and not enough fats, more than my kidneys can process. Perhaps also the resistance exercises which are stimulating the wild DNA to repair the mitochondria will in time completely reverse this condition and my kidneys will work normally again. It's also interesting that gout is related to the kidneys' inability to handle proteins properly and that fear is stored in the kidneys. So observing the programs that generate fear is also something I am becoming more aware of and working on.

Back
Top Bottom