Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

I have try to make some lardo di colonnata.

You can see the picture of the process here:

_http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.384316971592859.93714.100000436793945&type=3

Now, there is just to wait for 6 month before tasting it.

Goemon_ said:
I have try to make some lardo di colonnata.

You can see the picture of the process here:

_http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.384316971592859.93714.100000436793945&type=3

Now, there is just to wait for 6 month before tasting it.

It does look very yummy! Wow, the pots look great!

It seems that we were using this pots for years here in France. You still can find some at the Hardware store (quincaillerie) but they are very expensive. I was lucky to find two of them in good condition on a garage sale.

Well I finally got to the end of the thread, for months I always seemed to be a bit behind!

I see some people have had some experience with diarrhea on the diet, but nothing too serious, nor chronic, mostly. So I will post about my experience with my gut here, for reference in case someone might experience something similar.

I define diarrhea as an urgent cramping of the bowels followed by bowel movements that produce completely liquid stools, or nearly total liquid.

For most of the period from 2011 summer to 2012 summer it has been very loose stools, along with diarrhea intermixed with occasional firm stools (but smaller than in the carb and fiber food days!) from time to time. Or else some days will be firm stool first, followed by a couple of diarrhea (or very loose stool) afterwards. Usually it happens in the morning and then the bowel movements are all ended for the day.

One annoying thing about it is that there might come an urgent squeezing in the gut at times where it is not so easy to find a washroom, like when shopping or something. However it is usually possible to hold it for an hour or so, but it is not a pleasant feeling for that whole time.

I read the experiences in the Life Without Bread thread and I tried various things in case it was the fat not being digested properly and going to the lower intestine. So I tried to remember to diligently take super enzymes (includes ox bile), boswellia extract, and quite often HCL (Hydrochloric acid.) There seemed to be at first some positive effects, but soon it seemed that the bowels went back to their old intermittent bouts of diarrhea again.

2012-08-08 was when I started the techniques to go into deeper ketosis outlined in this Ketogenic Diet thread. It was quite soon that I tasted acetone on my breath, indicating I had gone into a deeper ketosis (I believe).

Then I started to get complete liquid diarrhea stools that could come at any time of day. This continued without interruption day after day and all during my trip to Canada From Aug 22-28. Neither the enzyme supplements, nor reducing fat, had any affect

As I had to travel in Canada and I stayed at a hotel there, I expected to at least temporarily get out of the deeper ketosis, as I thought my carb intake would probably have to increase since the environment would be harder to control. However keeping a reasonably aligned diet turned out not to be so difficult in the end, even though the carbs did get higher during that week.

During my trip to Canada from 23rd onward I noticed I also got something very unusual for me: hemorrhoids and a perianal hematoma. I think I may have had a P. H last year some time during the winter for the first time. I bought some medication to help get them to normal.

There was one last thing else that I had hear that can cause diarrhea: upset gut flora. So on September 6 I started taking probiotics, 3 times per day. By September 9 the more solid, but small stools returned! Now these kinds of bowel movements have continued thereafter, unless I miss a day of probiotics, which I currently still take twice per day.

These now proper bowel movements tend to occur once per day, although they might not occur for the space of about 1 day.

_Breton_

Breton said:
{snip}
There was one last thing else that I had hear that can cause diarrhea: upset gut flora. So on September 6 I started taking probiotics, 3 times per day. By September 9 the more solid, but small stools returned! Now these kinds of bowel movements have continued thereafter, unless I miss a day of probiotics, which I currently still take twice per day.

These now proper bowel movements tend to occur once per day, although they might not occur for the space of about 1 day.

_Breton_

Hi Breton! Out of curiosity, what type of probiotics are you taking?

Hello fellow Ketogenic Dieters!

Now although we here at the forum have a fair few more rules regarding our diets, ie Gluten, Soy & Dairy free etc etc (which this website still supports some of these) There is still loads of usefull information on this site I stumbled across looking for some recipe's

_http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/

Solve Your Health Issues with a Ketogenic Diet

Ketogenic diets are powerful tools, and they can be life changing. Shifting to a low carb, fat burning diet can help you reduce your high blood pressure, banish heartburn, get rid of joint pain, and stop pre-diabetes in its tracks.

I used to have all those health conditions and worse, and I've reversed them all. You can too.

On this website, you'll find information on how these diets work, the right way to "do" the diet, and the details on how you can increase your energy and improve your health simply by changing the way you eat.

This site has links to calorie counters, various sites and useful tools such as a low carb shopping list _http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-grocery-list.html

I seriously could spend all day on here, the main reason I bring this site to everyones attention is mainly due to the simplicity in which the way the information is presented to the reader. Everything is a mere click away.

I hope people get something out of this :)

Regards,

Brent

chaps23 said:
Hello fellow Ketogenic Dieters!

Now although we here at the forum have a fair few more rules regarding our diets, ie Gluten, Soy & Dairy free etc etc (which this website still supports some of these) There is still loads of usefull information on this site I stumbled across looking for some recipe's

_http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/

Solve Your Health Issues with a Ketogenic Diet

Ketogenic diets are powerful tools, and they can be life changing. Shifting to a low carb, fat burning diet can help you reduce your high blood pressure, banish heartburn, get rid of joint pain, and stop pre-diabetes in its tracks.

I used to have all those health conditions and worse, and I've reversed them all. You can too.

On this website, you'll find information on how these diets work, the right way to "do" the diet, and the details on how you can increase your energy and improve your health simply by changing the way you eat.

This site has links to calorie counters, various sites and useful tools such as a low carb shopping list _http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-grocery-list.html

I seriously could spend all day on here, the main reason I bring this site to everyones attention is mainly due to the simplicity in which the way the information is presented to the reader. Everything is a mere click away.

I hope people get something out of this :)

Regards,

Brent

There's lots and lots of low carb/KD information out there, much of which can be useful IF the reader has sufficient knowledge. At first glance, the shopping list link above includes the usual suspects in the dairy and nightshade departments, mayonaise (almost always made with soybean oil or some such thing), Splenda, and vegetable oils.

Taking a quick glance at a few other pages, it seems to resemble the New Atkins approach. That's OK, if you have additional information to go with it. It's not so good by itself.

It might be a great website, but I would suggest going through it somewhat carefully before recommending it, to understand its pros and cons, and to include those with the recommendation.

Megan said:
There's lots and lots of low carb/KD information out there, much of which can be useful IF the reader has sufficient knowledge. At first glance, the shopping list link above includes the usual suspects in the dairy and nightshade departments, mayonaise (almost always made with soybean oil or some such thing), Splenda, and vegetable oils.

If they're recommending splenda and vegetable oil - both of which are absolute poison (not to mention dairy and nightshades) - do not recommend the page.

Megan said:

Taking a quick glance at a few other pages, it seems to resemble the New Atkins approach. That's OK, if you have additional information to go with it. It's not so good by itself.

It might be a great website, but I would suggest going through it somewhat carefully before recommending it, to understand its pros and cons, and to include those with the recommendation.

Hi Megan,

Your spot on hence my message at the start

chaps23 said:

Do you think I should re state with a little more urgency or something?

I was kind of assuming that most people on this website were all about taking everything in with a grain of salt. But you do raise a good point, we must all be careful when reading information from websites. Just as everyone should be doing with all the information they read.

There are some nice studies listed on the benefits of a ketogenic diet on gluten intolerant people and a heap of other relevant studies which some may find useful, we here have always been clever at adopting recipe's and twisting them so they work for our diet. I'm sure most readers here will realise that.

Peace. :)
Brent.

anart said:
Megan said:
There's lots and lots of low carb/KD information out there, much of which can be useful IF the reader has sufficient knowledge. At first glance, the shopping list link above includes the usual suspects in the dairy and nightshade departments, mayonnaise (almost always made with soybean oil or some such thing), Splenda, and vegetable oils.

If they're recommending splenda and vegetable oil - both of which are absolute poison (not to mention dairy and nightshades) - do not recommend the page.

Hi Anart!

I am hearing what you are saying but I still think its worth further reading. If megan had of read a little deeper there is plenty of info mentioning the possible dangers of vege oils etc.

Using Natural Fats

Butter is the favorite fat source at our house. It gets included in most of my meals. I use it to gently saute meats and vegetables, make sauces, add to baked products and as a spread. However, I don't fry at high heat with it, as the milk solids can burn easily. Organic, cold pressed olive oil is another choice for low heat frying.

If I'm frying at higher temperatures, I'll add organic, virgin coconut oil to the skillet, as it has a higher smoke point.

You could also clarified butter or ghee, which is basically butter with the milk solids removed. A good, natural non-hydrogenated lard or beef tallow would also work well.

I try to limit the amount of vegetable oil I consume for two main reasons:
research has shown that vegetable oils are inflammatory within the body, and inflammation is associated with all sorts of health problems.
•Vegetables oils are highly processed, and the industrial process used to create them adds toxic solvents and chemicals which are left in the final product.
It's simply that natural fats are healthier for humans.

In addition, always choose the full fat versions of any pre-made fat products you use. For instance, choose real mayonnaise over low fat, and heavy cream over half-n-half, or light cream. The lower the fat content of a product is, the more likely that the carbohydrate count will be higher, as fat can only be replaced with carbohydrate or protein.

And some more from the Author herself,

Fat is where you want to cut the calories. Keep carbs at the ketogenic level, protein at about 1-2 grams/kg of desired weight, and cut your fat to get to an appropriate calorie level for you.

And the type of fat you eat is also key. You won't be able to stick to the diet if you limit saturated fat. Eating only polyunsaturated fats like vegetable oil will quickly make you feel awful, and they are extremely unhealthy and inflammatory. I eat mostly butter, cream cheese, fatty meats like pulled pork, lots of eggs, some cheese and just a little mayonnaise and sometimes olive oil.

You also need a source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats, since these essential fats have to come from food. For the Omega 3 fats, make sure you eat foods like tuna, shrimp or salmon 2-3 times a week, or take a little fish oil every other day or so. A little mayo will cover the Omega 6 need.

I think for most part she is very well educated, But that's coming from me who is not so well educated. Its easy to follow the Ketogenic diet just with the information provided and yes she does seem to like her mayonase..... No body is perfect.

The site goes on to list the myths common people struggle with when choosing to go low carb and research... LOTS OF RESEARCH covering
KD and Aging, KD and Alzheimers, Diet and Cancer, KD and Diabetes, KD and Heart Health, KD and Epilepsy, KD and Fatty Liver, KD and Gluten, KD & Mental Health

There are also thousands of links from every article relating back to study's. There are many on this forum who are already fully versed in the ketogenic diet research, but for those who are not I think its a good spot to read.

But as mentioned earlier to PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. Always searching up the topic on the forum and asking questions to those that do know that we are not so sure about.

Maybe anart you could put a disclaimer on my original post?? I can no longer modify it.

Regards,

Brent

chaps23 said:
Hi Anart!

I am hearing what you are saying but I still think its worth further reading. If megan had of read a little deeper there is plenty of info mentioning the possible dangers of vege oils etc.

There is no "possible" danger of vegetable oils - vegetable oils are evil - period. Anyone even vaguely suggesting that they're okay is either woefully misinformed or just not telling the truth. If the person knows the truth about vegetable oils then why even mention them or say they "limit" them? That's like saying aspartame or splenda is okay - they are not - ever.

anart said:
There is no "possible" danger of vegetable oils - vegetable oils are evil - period. Anyone even vaguely suggesting that they're okay is either woefully misinformed or just not telling the truth. If the person knows the truth about vegetable oils then why even mention them or say they "limit" them? That's like saying aspartame or splenda is okay - they are not - ever.

Thanks for the correction! I'm sure down the track we too will find things we have discussed that turned out to be all wrong. Such as the whole brown rice saga. This doesn't mean forget all the other great info we discovered and talked about does it?

I think if people read the sticky threads in this section before they get to this one they should be safe. But then again its got nothing to do with what I think....

I'll happily give up on this thread if your thinking there is too much crap on this page. Excuse my french :P

EDIT: Sorry Anart I didn't see that post before I edited the last one.
If the person knows the truth about vegetable oils then why even mention them or say they "limit" them?

I dont really think I can answer that, or was this rehtorical?

Fat is where you want to cut calories? Why would you want to cut calories at all, let alone fat calories which is the single most important component of the diet?!

I'm sorry, chaps23, but the exerpts you've posted here are not good advice at all. It's important to remember that just because a site, or any source, promotes a ketogenic diet, it doesn't mean their advice is good. The same applies to "paleo" sources. There are very, VERY few sources out there that are seeing the whole picture and giving good advice.

If you want good sources for studies and tools, the Life Without Bread and Ketogenic Diet threads are loaded with amazing resources (but I'm guessing you already knew that ;)).

hmm... well fair enough, I was thinking maybe the thats only if you found you weren't loosing weight, which I dont think is an issue. I should have posted more of it. Please feel free to follow the link I have provided to read the rest.

Only if you can be bothered but you have clearly demonstrated how dangerous it can be for one who is not so well versed in the Paleo Diet. :-[

_http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/my-story.html

Never the less my truth searching goes on!

I am now on week 2 of the KD. I am feeling really good. I have been having good constant steady energy, and a very clear mind. Still having some slight leg cramps, but not too bad. The headaches I was having last week have stopped and I am never hungry. It is amazing to me to feel satisfied. I have always struggled with constantly feeling hungry, but that has all changed. I am having bone broth daily, and it is the most satisfying thing I have ever had, this stuff is amazing.

I wanted to mention that last week about every other day I was having loose bowel movements. I don't know if it was just stuff clearing out or if it had to do with the magnesium malate I have been taking. It would seem to happen after I took it. This week has been better and I am only having a bowel movement every other day or so.

I love how I feel. I want to thank everyone that put so much effort in to researching this diet. I am 41 and I feel as good as I did in my 20's. I also don't have so many crunchy sounding bones. My knees and neck aren't popping nearly as much and my hands don't seem to ache at all anymore.

Back
Top Bottom