Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

I too was experiencing leg cramps at night while sleeping. Sometimes so bad I would have to get up out of bed and walk around until they subsided. The salt water really helped before bed along with magnesium and potassium. Much the same regimen for leg cramps as Bluefyre.
Now, throughout the day, I`ve been adding more (Real) salt to my food. That seems to have done the trick.

Nancy2feathers said:
I too was experiencing leg cramps at night while sleeping. Sometimes so bad I would have to get up out of bed and walk around until they subsided. The salt water really helped before bed along with magnesium and potassium. Much the same regimen for leg cramps as Bluefyre.
Now, throughout the day, I`ve been adding more (Real) salt to my food. That seems to have done the trick.

I have had problems with leg cramps much of my life. They worsened when I started my KD last year, and I found that taking L-carnitine helped, a lot. Magnesium glycinate seemed to help to a lesser degree. The problem lessened over the course of the following year and it seems to be better now than it was before I started the KD, even when I don't take supplements. (I am sticking with the magnesium, though.)

I have started my resistance exercise routine now, and I am hoping that that will make a further difference. Right now I just have sore arms and legs, period. :)

Breton said:
{snip}
There was one last thing else that I had hear that can cause diarrhea: upset gut flora. So on September 6 I started taking probiotics, 3 times per day. By September 9 the more solid, but small stools returned! Now these kinds of bowel movements have continued thereafter, unless I miss a day of probiotics, which I currently still take twice per day.

These now proper bowel movements tend to occur once per day, although they might not occur for the space of about 1 day.

_Breton_

Regarding bowl movements, in response to Brenton’s concerns, I have a great find.

I’ve been preoccupied myself with what I thought has been months of abnormal stool. I had been comparing myself to how it looked in my youth – makes no sense, yes I get that now, it’s obvious in retrospect, but there have been no reliable guidelines out there about low fiber bowel movements.

So Brenton, you may just be fine, heading in the right direction, just not what you’ve been used to. One point he mentions in the article below is that a lot of it has to do with straining and hardness – not small pieces vs large, movements on a daily basis (at least).

According to the chart in the link & attachment, I’m well within the range of a desired normal. I’m rather pleased and relieved.

The article is an edited web excerpt from the book Fiber Menace by Konstantin Monastyrsky (the book does not have the image/chart, btw). He refuses to tell you what type of diet to follow and focuses on what not to eat, which is fiber, which does correlate with the high fat teeny carb diet we’re talking about, but in general he does not give sane dietary advice.

He does have a chapter about problems with a cold turkey conversion to a low fiber diet (he only focuses on Atkins & South Beach exclusively – in no way am I saying it’s the same as the work on this forum, but at least the scales are tipped in the right direction, osis). Again, the chapter is heavy on the b*tching and light on advice other than “don’t do it fast or you WILL get constipated, right now your bowel is dependent on the fiber to form fecal matter.”

He does have similar recommendations that I see repeatedly here for constapation – magnesium or Vit C. (I recently used a great product that has both with Germanium-132, Oxi-Powder – I can attest that it works without cramps and the urge to dart to the can before you blow, it’s very gentle and effective by morning.)

www(dot)gutsense.org/constipation/normal_stools.html

What Exactly Are Normal Stools?

by Konstantin Monastyrsky the author of Fiber Menace

Chart and transcript of video:

The normality of ones' stools is determined by comparing them to the Bristol Stool Form scale, or the BSF scale for short. The 'Bristol' in the BSF refers to the Bristol Royal Infirmary — a hospital in Bristol, England -- from where this scale originated.

It is a self-diagnostic chart designed to help skittish patients discuss this delicate subject with their doctors without getting embarrassed. This is, essentially, what the Brits call getting the “royal treatment…”

You just look at the picture, point to what approximates the content of your toilet bowl, and your doctor tells you whether your type is good or bad…

Type 4 and 5 are considered “normal”. I provide a detailed explanation, and what to do to get your own type in order on this page.

Also, if you are a parent or a guardian of a young child, use this chart to fix minor problems well before they become a major headache for you and a source of life-long trouble for your child.
Good luck!

[Interestingly, the interpretations and explanations of the BSF scale that accompany the original chart differ from my analysis. To this I can only say: thanks for great pictures, but, no thanks for the rest.]

Bristol Stool Form Scale:

» Type 1: Separate hard lumps, like nuts

Typical for acute disbacteriosis. These stools lack a normal amorphous quality, because bacteria are missing and there is nothing to retain water. The lumps are hard and abrasive, the typical diameter ranges from 1 to 2 cm (0.4–0.8”), and they‘re painful to pass, because the lumps are hard and scratchy. There is a high likelihood of anorectal bleeding from mechanical laceration of the anal canal. Typical for post-antibiotic treatments and for people attempting fiber-free (low-carb) diets. Flatulence isn‘t likely, because fermentation of fiber isn‘t taking place.

» Type 2: Sausage-like but lumpy

Represents a combination of Type 1 stools impacted into a single mass and lumped together by fiber components and some bacteria. Typical for organic constipation. The diameter is 3 to 4 cm (1.2–1.6”). This type is the most destructive by far because its size is near or exceeds the maximum opening of the anal canal‘s aperture (3.5 cm). It‘s bound to cause extreme straining during elimination, and most likely to cause anal canal laceration, hemorrhoidal prolapse, or diverticulosis.

To attain this form, the stools must be in the colon for at least several weeks instead of the normal 72 hours. Anorectal pain, hemorrhoidal disease, anal fissures, withholding or delaying of defecation, and a history of chronic constipation are the most likely causes. Minor flatulence is probable. A person experiencing these stools is most likely to suffer from irritable bowel syndrome because of continuous pressure of large stools on the intestinal walls. The possibility of obstruction of the small intestine is high, because the large intestine is filled to capacity with stools. Adding supplemental fiber to expel these stools is dangerous, because the expanded fiber has no place to go, and may cause hernia, obstruction, or perforation of the small and large intestine alike.

» Type 3: Like a sausage but with cracks in the surface

This form has all of the characteristics of Type 2 stools, but the transit time is faster, between one and two weeks. Typical for latent constipation. The diameter is 2 to 3.5 cm (0.8–1.4”). Irritable bowel syndrome is likely. Flatulence is minor, because of disbacteriosis. The fact that it hasn‘t became as enlarged as Type 2 suggests that the defecations are regular. Straining is required. All of the adverse effects typical for Type 2 stools are likely for type 3, especially the rapid deterioration of hemorrhoidal disease.

» Type 4: Like a sausage or snake, smooth and soft

This form is normal for someone defecating once daily. The diameter is 1 to 2 cm (0.4–0.8”). The larger diameter suggests a longer transit time or a large amount of dietary fiber in the diet.

» Type 5: Soft blobs with clear-cut edges

I consider this form ideal. It is typical for a person who has stools twice or three times daily, after major meals. The diameter is 1 to 1.5 cm (0.4–0.6”).

» Type 6: Fluffy pieces with ragged edges, a mushy stool

This form is close to the margins of comfort in several respects. First, it may be difficult to control the urge, especially when you don‘t have immediate access to a bathroom. Second, it is a rather messy affair to manage with toilet paper alone, unless you have access to a flexible shower or bidet.

Otherwise, I consider it borderline normal. These kind of stools may suggest a slightly hyperactive colon (fast motility), excess dietary potassium, or sudden dehydration or spike in blood pressure related to stress (both cause the rapid release of water and potassium from blood plasma into the intestinal cavity). It can also indicate a hypersensitive personality prone to stress, too many spices, drinking water with a high mineral content, or the use of osmotic (mineral salts) laxatives.

» Type 7: Watery, no solid pieces

This, of course, is diarrhea, a subject outside the scope of this chapter with just one important and notable exception—so-called paradoxical diarrhea. It‘s typical for people (especially young children and infirm or convalescing adults) affected by fecal impaction—a condition that follows or accompanies type 1 stools. During paradoxical diarrhea the liquid contents of the small intestine (up to 1.5–2 liters/quarts daily) have no place to go but down, because the large intestine is stuffed with impacted stools throughout its entire length. Some water gets absorbed, the rest accumulates in the rectum. The reason this type of diarrhea is called paradoxical is not because its nature isn‘t known or understood, but because being severely constipated and experiencing diarrhea all at once, is, indeed, a paradoxical situation. Unfortunately, it‘s all too common.

How to interpret BSF scale

To avoid referencing non-descriptive numbers, I use the following definitions: types 1, 2 and 3 = hard or impacted stools. Type 4 and 5 = normal or optimal. Type 6 = loose stool, subnormal, or suboptimal, and type 7 = diarrhea.

In such cases as acute hemorrhoidal disease, anal fissure, or the inability to attain unassisted stools, loose stools (type 6) are acceptable. It‘s a messy experience, but which would you rather have — a bucketful of blood, pain, and a wound that won‘t heal, or a little lukewarm douche afterwards?

To restore and maintain normal stools (from type 4 to 6), the colon and rectum must first be free from hard stools (from type 1 to 3). In our case, the opposite of “hard” isn‘t “soft,” but difficult (not easy) or irregular.

As you can see from the illustration (and, perhaps, already know firsthand) “hard” stools can be “small,” “regular,” and “large.” Equally important, a “small” stool for one person can be “large” for another, because the perception of size isn‘t determined by a caliper, but by the aperture of one‘s anal canal. If the anal canal is constrained by enlarged internal hemorrhoids, even “small” stools, such as type 4, may be “difficult” to pass. Don‘t fall into this trap. The rule is: If stools are hard as in difficult, or not easy, or irregular, they are HARD, period!

Unless your stools are type 4 to 6 (normal), they are impacted. Impacted stools can be small, large, hard, soft, dry, moist—it doesn‘t matter. What “impacted” means is that they had a chance to pile up and compress in the large intestine. Despite all of the nonsense you‘ve been hearing about “formed” stools, if yours are “formed,” they are impacted.

If we didn‘t have the Bristol Stool Form scale illustration in front of us, and you asked me what are normal stools, I would answer: normal stools are not noticeable during defecation! …

You may also have to live with the fact that after a certain degree of prior damage, caused by fiber, you won‘t be able to attain “unassisted” defecation and “normal” stools because of irreversible nerve damage, stretching of the large intestine, significantly enlarged hemorrhoids, and similar factors. I‘ll teach you how to overcome this problem as well without fiber and laxatives.

Excerpted from Fiber Menace, page 117-120; BSF Chart: wikipedia.org

Attachments

• stool chart.gif
    stool chart.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 56

Breton said:
dugdeep said:
Breton said:
dugdeep said:
Breton said:
{snip}
There was one last thing else that I had hear that can cause diarrhea: upset gut flora. So on September 6 I started taking probiotics, 3 times per day. By September 9 the more solid, but small stools returned! Now these kinds of bowel movements have continued thereafter, unless I miss a day of probiotics, which I currently still take twice per day.

These now proper bowel movements tend to occur once per day, although they might not occur for the space of about 1 day.

_Breton_

Hi Breton! Out of curiosity, what type of probiotics are you taking?

Some Finnish brand recommended highly by one local health food shop (called Probiootti plus). It has only 4 different kinds of bacteria, though, and I would have thought this more expensive brand would have had more. However it has made a profound difference in my gut, so no matter. Maybe it would have been better to find something more natural, but this was what I was able to obtain easily around here.

Well, I think number of strains isn't quite so important as type of strains. That's what I was interested in checking out, because I think having a probiotic that provides bacteria conducive to our diet may be quite helpful for us. I'm wondering if there's any way you could post the types of strains in the supplement? Don't know if that would be possible or not given the language difference. I tried looking it up myself but I'm not the best at reading Finnish :lol:

Ah yes what does the bottle say:

It seems the main ingredient is in Finnish "maitohappobakteeri" which translates to lactagogue,whatever that is, but the main thing is that it tends to contain something like the following bacteria:
Lactobacillus, Lactococcus, Pediococcus, Leuconostoc ja Enterococcus.

Sauerkraut may have some of this too, it is suggested in wikipedia.

Dugdeep – I want to join in on listing probiotic ingredients. I have more to say on unraveling this topic (“because I think having a probiotic that provides bacteria conducive to our diet may be quite helpful for us”), but will post that separately.

These are all high end probiotics that I have come across in third party books that attest to some grand healing (hearsay efficacy). With full disclosure, I don’t have any great personal stories to support these, most listed are part of my probiotics rotations and each has a different pitch as to why they’re superior (which I get tired of and do not plan to elaborate on below, I’m just listing ingredients). Our bodies are all different and I’m not trying to say all/any of these will work with any particular person, I’ve seen that at home and it’s a constant criticism in Amazon review.

It is common advice to rotate products because they contain different strains, makes sense to me, in a healthy state we carry over 400 strands. FYI, it’s not uncommon to see recommendations to take 3x the listed recommendation for 2 months just to have any chance of repopulating your colon with a healthy balance (crowd out the pathogenic).

Fiber Menace had a good tip, on a low/no fiber diet stop taking probiotics when you become real farty from it, means you are repopulated. Also, “The content of your toilet bowl will tell you. If your stools are light, fluffy, small, and moist without fiber in your diet, you‘re okay flora-wise.” “Finally, take a remedial course of intestinal flora after a bout with diarrhea, major food poisoning, antibiotics, chemotherapy, radiation, and similar factors, which damage living cells.”

Hope this helps!

Ageless Nutrition Enterophilus, from Fiber Menace:
Lactobacillus acidophilus
L. Rhamnosus
L. Rhamnosus (Type B, Bifidus)
Bifidobacterium lactis
Bifidobacterium longum
B. Bifidum
Streptococcus thermophiles
Proprietary Blend FOS (fructooligosaccharides) and ulmus fulva (inner bark)

Renew Life, Ultimate Flora, Super Critical, 200 Billion:
Bifidobacterium bifidum
Bifidobacterium longum
Bifidobacterium breve
Lactobacillus lactis
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus salivarius
Lactobacillus bulgaricus
FOS (fructooligosaccharides)

Gut Pro, from GAPS Diet:
Lactobacillus plantarum
Bifidobacterium bifidum
Bifidobacterium longum
Lactobacillus gasseri
Lactobacillus salivarius
Lactobacillus infantis
Lactobacillus breve
Bifidobacterium lactis

Dr. Ohhira’s Original Formula:
Proprietary lactic acid bacteria blend, fermented for 3 years using 12 strands of lactic acid bacteria, all strands may not be present in final product.

Garden of Life Primal Defense, from The Maker’s Diet:
Proprietary Hso (Homeostatic Soil Organisms) Probiotic Blend Barley Grass and Oat Grass
Lactobacillus plantarum
Bifidobacterium bifidum
Bifidobacterium lactic
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Bifidobacterium breve
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus brevis
Lactobacillus salivarius
Bacillus subtilis
Lactobacillus paracasei
Bifidobacterium longum

Total Florabiotics sold by The Doctor Within (.com):
DDS-1 lactobacillus acidophilus – “The superlative strain of acidophilus” ;)

FiveLac:
Bacillus coagulans
Bacillus subtilis
Enterococcus faecalis F-100
Bifidobacterium longum

Floril:
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Bifidobacterium bifidum
CGF-enriched Chlorella pyrenoidosa
Fructo-oligossacharides

Thanks for digging into the topic a bit more HiFromGrace.
By the way it is Breton, not Brenton :)

Fiber Menace by Konstantin Monastyrsky looked interesting when I saw some had read it on the forum and I have it now, even though I have not had time to start it.

I do find it still a bit bizarre that after a long period of basically liquid stools, I would get hemorrhoids, because there is not much straining going on in that case! I may find an explanation with a bit of research though. Further, it seems it was triggered by my change to the paleo, then ketogenic diets I have been on, but I may have had screwed up gut flora for other preexisting reasons. Past usage of antibiotics? The last time I had antibiotics was for strep throat last March, but I always take some probiotics whenever I have to take antibiotics, to try offset the damage to gut-flora. Perhaps a prior condition of mine was only exposed with less and less dietary fiber and such?

Breton said:
Thanks for digging into the topic a bit more HiFromGrace.
By the way it is Breton, not Brenton :)

Fiber Menace by Konstantin Monastyrsky looked interesting when I saw some had read it on the forum and I have it now, even though I have not had time to start it.

I do find it still a bit bizarre that after a long period of basically liquid stools, I would get hemorrhoids, because there is not much straining going on in that case! I may find an explanation with a bit of research though. Further, it seems it was triggered by my change to the paleo, then ketogenic diets I have been on, but I may have had screwed up gut flora for other preexisting reasons. Past usage of antibiotics? The last time I had antibiotics was for strep throat last March, but I always take some probiotics whenever I have to take antibiotics, to try offset the damage to gut-flora. Perhaps a prior condition of mine was only exposed with less and less dietary fiber and such?

Sorry about the name foible! You should see me with directions too, oi vey (and spelling!)!

Yeah, crack open his book - I just got it myself and was skimming it last night, there's a whole chapter on hemorrhoids, in addition to every other digestive & intestinal problem.

His knowledge about our insides is fabulous, diet advice horrendous, and his water rant, dubious (although I don't argue that water has nothing to do with consapation).

You're probably right that your condition was masked by your previous diet (but I have no idea, I didn't do a general read - I have limited time at home (small child) and just focus on what helps myself and my family these days).

Keep us posted when you have the time, this is interesting to me.

I wanted to talk about what Dugdeep brought up with this note: “because I think having a probiotic that provides bacteria conducive to our diet may be quite helpful for us.” Last week I had a dietary wakeup call from a forum member, and I had the exact same thoughts on my mind.

It seems like we need meat probiotics. And by and large, what’s on the market is dairy based and/or designed to digest carbohydrates. I don’t know if this is faulty logic on my part based on a misnomer. I perceive Lactobacillus as a dairy product, yet you can get it from the air when you make sauerkraut – not that they necessarily cross cancel.

Lactobacillus specifically on Wikipedia & others that paraphrase it – key points about how it works, where it comes from and why it’s important:
They are a major part of the lactic acid bacteria group, named as such because most of its members convert lactose and other sugars to lactic acid.
Many species are prominent in decaying plant material. The production of lactic acid makes its environment acidic, which inhibits the growth of some harmful bacteria.
The ubiquitous appearance in food and their contribution to the healthy microflora of human mucosal surfaces.
The Lactobacillus acidophilus breaks down lactose in foods and produces lactic acid, hydrogen peroxide and many other by-products that create a harsh environment for bad bacteria. Additionally, it competes for food that many of these bad bacteria depend on, therefore restricting outbreaks.
They also improve the overall integrity of the intestinal wall, which reduces the amount of toxins entering the bloodstream. Lactobacilli also improve nutrient absorption, while bifidobacteria produce B-complex vitamins and inhibit nitrates, which are possible cancer causers.

From http://jn.nutrition(dot)org/content/137/3/830S.long:
“A prebiotic is [a nondigestible food ingredient that] “selectively fermented ingredient that allows specific changes, both in the composition and/or activity in the gastrointestinal microflora that confers benefits upon host well-being and health.” (Gibson 1995;Schrezenmeir 2001). “…
“Not all dietary carbohydrates are prebiotics, and clear criteria need to be established for classifying a food ingredient as a prebiotic.”

From www.danoneinstitute(dot)org/objective_nutrition_newsletter/on85.php
“They [Prebiotics] are part of the composition of certain foods and dietary supplements. Inulins are combinations of oligo- and polysaccharides essentially consisting of fructose. The terms fructooligosaccharides (FOS) and oligofructose are used for inulins with low molecular weight. Other candidates exist (isomalto-oligosaccharides, lactosucrose, xylo-oligosaccharides, soy oligosaccharides, gluco-oligosaccharides, Arabic gum, pectin hydrolysates, etc.) which have undergone or are currently undergoing preliminary testing, without having satisfied the above criteria as yet.”

……. Soooooo what happens if you aren’t eating carbs, if Lactobacillus “needs” to eat specific carbs??? That’s what’s missing for me, and I’m plateauing in terms of what knowledge I can process today.

I think that’s part of what you guys are talking about when you keep reminding us that the diet transition needs to be gradual, it’s partially so that the intestinal bacterial population can change its makeup and optimize nutritional uptake too. But change to what?

I did not find anything on the market that satisfied my curiosity about meat probiotics, and my search lead me to discussion boards about “High Meat” – as in the way historical cultures dealt with the less desirable muscle meat: let it rot in a hole til it’s a liquidy “delicacy” (I read in “Salt: A World History” that the Swedish canned fish version was banned by US customs after they opened it and got a whiff, LOL!).

Anyway, so far, I just can’t go there (never say never though!). But it does bring to mind this other thread here on The Vegetarian Myth that caught my eye before (http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,20771.msg270258.html#msg270258) about Dry Aging beef, which would basically be sausages & beef jerky too, no? But I’m thinking about probiotics (bacterial doing the predigestion for you, not just the yummy aging part of tenderizing muscle meat by leaving it sit open in the fridge for a few days then cooking it).

Frankly, I may just have the ladder on the wrong wall with this meat-based probiotic quest, perhaps the important part is just having the proper digestion enzymes for fat/protein, akin to the recommendations of including Milk Thistle (for liver support) and Ox Bile for fat digestion.

Why I’ve looked up fat digestion enzymes (Lipase) is because I’m starting to get those eye-blob-things that my grandma had, kinda like a pimple on your eyelid that grows and grows, I don’t remember they’re called. They are commonly understood as a sign of too much cholesterol – but I had read that in Chinese Traditional Medicine circles they are considered a sign of poor fat assimilation.

A brief Wikipedia explainer about digestive enzymes:
An important function of enzymes is in the digestive systems of animals. Enzymes such as amylases and proteases break down large molecules (starch or proteins, respectively) into smaller ones, so they can be absorbed by the intestines. Starch molecules, for example, are too large to be absorbed from the intestine, but enzymes hydrolyze the starch chains into smaller molecules such as maltose and eventually glucose, which can then be absorbed. Different enzymes digest different food substances. In ruminants, which have herbivorous diets, microorganisms in the gut produce another enzyme, cellulase, to break down the cellulose cell walls of plant fiber.

And a comprehensive article:

http://library.thinkquest(dot)org/24206/enzyme-therapy.html

Overview:

An important first step in restoring health and well-being by helping to remedy digestive problems. Food (plant) enzymes and pancreatic (animal) enzymes are used in complementary ways to improve digestion and absorption of essential nutrients. Treatment includes enzyme supplements, coupled with healthy diet that features whole foods. Plant-derived enzymes and pancreatic enzymes can be used independently or in combination.

Below: A chart of the numerous digestive enzymes of the body and their functions.

Amylase - digests starches
Bromelain - a proteolytic, anti-inflammatory food enzyme from pineapple. Aids digestion of fats
Catalase - works with SOD to reduce free radical production
Cellulase - digests cellulose, the fibrous component of most vegtable matter
Chymotrypsin - helps convert chyme
Diastase - a pontent vegtable starch digestant
Lactase - digests lactose, or milk sugar, (almost 65% of humans are deficient)
Lipase - digests fats
Mycozyme - a single-celled plant enzyme for digestion of starches
Pancreatin - a broad spectrum, proteolytic digestive aid, derived from secretions of animal pancreas; important in degenerative disease research. proteolytic food enzymes from unripe papaya; a veegatable pepsin for digesion of proteins.
Papin and chymopapain - These enzymes help loosen nercotic and encrusted waste material from the intestinal walls.
Pepsin - a proteolytic enzyme that breaks down proteins into peptides. Can digest 3500 times its weight in proteins.
Protease - digests proteins
Rennin - helps digest cow's milk products
Trypsin - a proteoytic enzyme

Description:

For every chemical reaction that occurs in the body, enzymes provide the stimulus.

• Plant enzymes: Enhance the body's vitality by strengthening digestive system.
• Pancreatic enzymes: Beneficial to both the digestive system and the immune system.

The human body makes approximately 22 digestive enzymes, capable of digesting protein, carbohydrates, sugars, and fats. The function of the enzyme, a specialized protein molecule, is to catalyze chemical reactions within the cells so that all physiological processes can occur. The process of digestion begins in the mouth, makes its way to the stomach, and concludes in the small intestine. At each step in this process, specific enzymes break down different types of food. This process is balanced through acidity; each site along the digestive tract has a different degree of acidity that allows certain enzymes to function while inhibiting others. Every specific enzyme can bind to only one specific substrate (described by the lock-and-key model of enzyme function), or group of chemically related substances. Food enters the upper portion of the small intestine (after leaving the stomach) where the pancreas (digestive organ that feeds enzymes into the gut) provides pancreatic enzymesto further break down the food.

Enzyme activity is truly holistic; most enzymes act together as co-enzymes, or as co-factors with vitamins, minerals and trace minerals for optimum body efficiency. There are three basic categories of enzymes: metabolic enzymes, digestive enzymes, and enzymes in raw foods. Metabolic enzymes run body processes, repair damage and decay, and heal disease, while digestive enzymes assimilate carbohydrates, proteins and fats into the body. Enzymes in raw foods start food digestion and aid the body's digestive enzymes so they do not have to carry the entire load. There are over 1,000 kinds of acid, alkaline, or neutral enzymes that are quite specific in their functions.

There are four categories of plant enzymes that have uses in plant enzyme therapy:

(Note: the names of all enzymes end with the suffix -ase.)
Protease - digests protein
Amylase - digests carbohydrates
Lipase - digests fat
Cellulose - digests fiber

Plants are a person's only source of cellulase because the human body is unable to produce it. Cellulase is found in the rigid cell walls of plants to digest cellulose when needed. The fact that Plant enzymes function in the stomach, predigesting the food, was proposed by Dr. Howell in the 1920s. This predigestion of food occurs during the interim period, before enough hydrochloric acid (HCL) accumulates in the stomach to begin the next stage of digestion. Some people may have a problem digesting uncooked foods because of a lack of cellulase.

Cooking food can destroy the important plant enzymes. They are more heat-sensitive than vitamins and are the first to be destroyed during cooking. They are destroyed by being heated above 118 degrees Fahrenheit and "are deactivated or destroyed by pasteurizing, canning, and microwaving," according to Dr. Lita Lee, Ph.D. of Eugene, Oregon. While raw foods recommended, a one hundred percent raw foods diet is not necessary. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has long approved the use of plant enzymes, but as dietary supplements only.

The consequences of eating a predominantly cooked-foods diet are various inflammations, pancreatic hypertrophy (enlargement), toxic colon, and allergies. Because of inflammation, conditions such as bronchitis, sinusitis, cystitis, rhinitis, and arthritis may occur, and may be accompanied by fever, redness, swelling, and pain. Pancreatic hypertrophy results when a diet lacking in enzymes puts an extra strain on the enzyme production of the pancreas. The organ attempts to make more secretion by enlarging.

Undigested food can remain in the intestine and not be excreted. Here, molecules are converted into toxins that by the blood to the liver for detoxification. If the liver is overworked, it will be unable to properly detoxify the blood, resulting in the colon becoming toxic. A meal of predominantly cooked foods can lead to digestive leukocytosis, a condition marked by an marked by an increased white blood count. A rise in white blood cells is a sign that the immune system is mobilized. This mobilization accompanies infections, poisoning, but can also occur after breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Such a response puts added stress on the immune system. The concept of the immune system being stimulated every time a person eats was first reported in 1897 by Rudolph Virchow, the father of cellular pathology.

Pancreatic enzymes function in the small intestine and in the blood. They do not digest food in the stomach, or contribute to the important step of predigestion. Protein molecules that are only partially digested in the small intestine are able to be absorbed into the bloodstream. The immune system now treats these as invaders and circulating immune complexes form (CIC's). In a healthy person CIC's are neutralized in the lymphatic system. But in a sick person, CIC's accumulate in the blood where they can initiate an "allergic' reaction. Kidneys cannot excrete enough and CIC's begin accumulating in soft tissues, causing inflammation. Fortunately, pancreatic enzyme therapy can correct this problem, mainly because pancreatic enzymes can break down CIC's.

I think the enzyme thing is going in the right direction. Maybe with a meat diet, you don't need probiotics nor do you need to move your bowels every day if you are digesting almost completely. It might actually be perfectly normal to pass only a minimal stool once a week. But that can vary from individual to individual.

Laura said:
I think the enzyme thing is going in the right direction. Maybe with a meat diet, you don't need probiotics nor do you need to move your bowels every day if you are digesting almost completely. It might actually be perfectly normal to pass only a minimal stool once a week. But that can vary from individual to individual.

On the other hand I have read that it is possible for harmful bacteria to establish in your gut. How to even identify this situation, let alone do something about it, is not clear to me, and it would of course depend on what it was and how good it was at surviving. It's not necessarily as simple as starving them out, although that might work.

So I am about 2 and a half weeks into the KD and a couple of days ago I started having heart palpitations. I have had some off and on all my life, but this was pretty steady for two days straight. Just wanted to say that I had been in a hurry both those days and didn't drink my bone broth in the morning before work, just after work at dinner time. Well this morning I had a big mug of broth before leaving the house, and I haven't had one palpitation since. Won't skip that again!! Hopefully it is just my body getting used to burning fat for fuel, and maybe those two days I didn't have enough to burn.

Overall, I am still feeling great..super clear mind and lots of energy. Way fewer aches and pains as well.

I know there is one strain of gut bacteria that was entirely eradicated from the gut by the invention of some antibiotic or pesticide. I cannot remember the details. So it may not be entirely possible to have entirely normal gut flora anymore.

monotonic said:
I know there is one strain of gut bacteria that was entirely eradicated from the gut by the invention of some antibiotic or pesticide. I cannot remember the details. So it may not be entirely possible to have entirely normal gut flora anymore.

The little critters evolve much faster than we do, and they are present in the environment as well as in us, so I'm not going to worry too much about it. I can't imagine how it would be possible to eradicate even one strain that way -- you might want to go look for those details. It is certainly possible, however, for people eating a western diet to be deficient in some kinds of microorganisms and overrun with others. Formula feeding plays a role as well.

Megan said:
Laura said:

On the other hand I have read that it is possible for harmful bacteria to establish in your gut. How to even identify this situation, let alone do something about it, is not clear to me, and it would of course depend on what it was and how good it was at surviving. It's not necessarily as simple as starving them out, although that might work.

Laura, I can see what you’re saying regarding stools and completely digesting (“ingesting” perhaps) your food and how that would be evident in your stools. The main point I came away with from that reading is that as long as they are not hard, you’re in the clear – the rest, in terms of frequency, is so individual that it’s rather ridiculous to put “should’s” on it, in my oppinion.

In regards to what Megan said about how to identify if there is harmful bacterial overgrowth – there are diagnostic tests that can be run on your breath and feces. I’m at work and can’t draw up the reference/book, but in my head it’s related to autism spectrum and perhaps it was from the GAPS Diet book, if that helps anyone.

I’ve never done them, but how I did know (past is the operative concept here, woo hoo!) is that you have obvious problems. Candida symptoms have been written about extensively on this forum, so I’m not going to write about it. But those are such broad symptoms, but for women it’s easy to tell because you get regular yeast infections. Plus digestive issues, the usual suspects, bloating, gas, cramps, stool issues, with headaches or skin eruptions, practically any symptom, including moods… for me it’s easy to see how it all goes hand in hand with dysbiosis (flora imbalance) and massive probiotics need to be part of any treatment protocol (including starving them out & healing your gut lining), even if it’s a chicken before the egg argument about causation.

I wanted to share that it dawned on me that I’m finally in a healthy state! :)

I’ve spent my whole life feeling sickly having sub-clinical problems that would always get brushed off by my doctors. Of course I’ve had my identity wrapped up in it - it only dawned on me last week that I’m out of the woods (with my husband stumped me with, “So why do you believe you still have a leaky gut issue?”).

I have resented that I’ve been the proverbial canary in the coal mine all these years… but I also feel that through all this work, and discovery process, that I’m “apocalypse-proof” now (half in jest, LOL) – the things that we talk about… I’m hearty, productive and merry now, and that will sustain you through any challenges, however they may transpire (or not!).

There’s a reputable enzyme product that’s marketed for digestion and inflammation pain. We used to use it years back and we’re going to try it again, in light of all this enzyme talk. What triggered my memory overnight is that pancreatic enzymes are spoken about in the article I copied above, and that is in this Wobenzym N.

We used it when our diets were atrocious, so who’s to say what kind of isolated effect it had on us, but we did keep buying it when we had the spare cash. I recall that this product would reduce my overall body puffiness (as in my wedding ring could finally fit) – I recently had the same results with a parasite cleanse from this spring, except that it’s been long lasting, fwiw.

Here are the ingredients in Wobenzym N:

Pancreatin56000 Usp-Units Protease (Pancreas) Sus Scrofa
Papain492 Fip-Unit Carica Papaya
Bromelain675 Fip-Unit Ananus Comosus
Trypsin2160 Fip-Unit (Pancreas) Sus Scrofa
Chymotrypsin900 Fip-Unit (Pancreas) Bos Laurus
Rutoside (Trihydrate (Rutin) Sophora Japonica)

Here’s a descriptor, not from their website, although if you’re interested in looking into this, their site is relatively detailed (www(dot)systemicenzymesupport(dot)org/welcome/index.htm).

“Wobenzym® is a natural dietary supplement manufactured originally by German company Wobe-Mucos. It contains a number of enzymes and it marketed as an anti-inflammatory painkiller that also aids digestion, circulation, and immune functions in the body.

“Wobenzym® enzymes include three different enzymes extracted from plants, and three enzymes that are secreted by the pancreas. The plant enzyme ingredients are papain, extracted from papaya fruit; bromelain, extracted from pineapples; and rutoside trihydrate, extracted from buckwheat. Papain is an enzyme that aids the digestion process and is claimed to have healing properties. Bromelain is an anti-inflammatory and also acts to reduce clotting in the blood. Rutoside trihydrate, also called rutin, has similar effects to those of bromelain, and in addition may assist in the digestion of sugar.

“The pancreatic enzymes in Wobenzym® are pancreatin, trypsin, and chymotrypsin. They are usually porcine in origin, which means that they are extracted from the pancreas of a pig. Pancreatin, in fact, is made up of three different enzymes, lipase, trypsin, and amylase. These are digestive enzymes and are intended to boost the digestive system. Trypsin breaks down proteins and can have beneficial effects on the blood, such as reducing the risk of blood clots. It is also considered an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agent. Lipase is an enzyme that digests fats. Amylase digests sugars.”

I can understand if someone would be concerned that this could knock them out of ketosis since there are plant & fruit products listed, plus those could cause an inflammation response in some too. I have no way to state an opinion on that one way or the other. There is no carb break down on the label, and I’m not pretending to know if isolated enzymes “count.”

I’m just sympathetic if someone’s concerns lead them that way, you can try it and see what it does (enzymes in general), and considerate a stepping stone instead of long term use. But if you’re feeling fine, “don’t fix what ain’t broken.” Personally, I’m more of the, “Hummmm let me see for myself!” type.

HifromGrace said:
...It seems like we need meat probiotics. And by and large, what’s on the market is dairy based and/or designed to digest carbohydrates. I don’t know if this is faulty logic on my part based on a misnomer. I perceive Lactobacillus as a dairy product, yet you can get it from the air when you make sauerkraut – not that they necessarily cross cancel...

Meat differs from plant foods in the way it digests, and really shouldn't even make it to the large intestine where so many of the 'probiotic' bacteria live.

Eliminating carb intake will tend to reduce the numbers of gut bacteria, but they have other sources of food. Paul Jaminet, though, (I believe) has written about how the die-off has the effect of down-regulating the immune system to offset the losses. I don't know what that implies. He offers some interesting material, but I have questions about it. I could say the same about Ray Peat, but there I have even more questions.

I haven't had a chance yet to go all the way through your post, and I have to go now, but I may come back to it later. I have been looking at many of the same things, and I have an unhappy gut right now in spite of carefully controlled food intake and other factors. Either there is something very important that I am missing, or I have some really hostile gut microbes. I am still planning to go back to zero-carb soon. I think I will have some questions for the group, however, before I do that.

Back
Top Bottom