Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and other probiotics

Ascien said:
Hi Chu. The product in your first link contains maltodextrin, titanium dioxide, (I'd stay away from that as much as possible) & sucrose. I think I read on SOTT recently about HFCS being re-labelled simply as fructose. This makes me distrust sucrose in supplement ingredients too. I know that sometimes "needs must" & we might have to take the best thing available, ("the devil you know" & all that) but with the raft of changes that the industries that provide these products implement (we'll usually find out after the deed has be done) even simple things like sucrose may actually turn out to be "sucrose." The same way as high fructose corn syrup is now... "fructose." That said, I may be way off with those thoughts. I'm one of those still in the gut healing phase & fluctuate with inflammation (external stress mainly) even on the keto diet. Just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Yeah, it's really hard to find anything without corn starch, titanium dioxide, gluten of any kind, lactose, fructose... you name it. Sometimes it's even impossible! It's really frustrating. We ordered some from Amazon France that didn't have anything bad, except for potato starch (but that's about the best you can get).

Are you doing EE for coping with stress?

If you try these probiotics out as well, let us know how it goes regarding your gut healing and inflammation. :)

Chu said:
Nienna, sorry for the confusion, my bad. The studies I shared are about Lactobacillus rhamosus GG (aka LGG), and the one that keyhole added is about combining that with Bifidobacteria.

You have nothing to apologize for. I'm just a bit dense today. :/

And, I do know about other strains of probiotics that's one of the reasons that I've not switched over to just the LGG because I'm not sure if that's enough to have a lot of different strains of probiotics, or it just that one is sufficient.

The one I am currently taking is this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/Sedona-Labs-Multi-Probiotic-Capsules-60-Count/dp/B000KITWWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413473807&sr=8-1&keywords=iflora+sedona+labs

that has a lot of other Lactobacillus strains and Bifidobacteria in it. I just don't know if the quantity of the Lactobacillus rhamosus is high enough.

The difference between probiotic and prebiotic:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/335114-the-difference-between-probiotic-prebiotic/

http://www.prebiotin.com/prebiotics/prebiotics-vs-probiotics/

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/probiotics-and-prebiotics

I may try this one : _http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Kaleidon-Gocce-5ml-/400736032548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item5d4dba9724

They don't list other ingredients. As it is in liquid form I assume there may be none.

Nienna said:
that has a lot of other Lactobacillus strains and Bifidobacteria in it. I just don't know if the quantity of the Lactobacillus rhamosus is high enough.

Just a note that Lactobacillus rhamnosus gg is a "subtype" of lactobacillus rhamnosus. It's not necessarily the same.

Research suggests that L. rhamnosus gg promotes all good bacteria in your gut. So it is like taking several in that regard. Perhaps you can experiment by adding L. rhamnousus gg on top of what you are taking. Either or, this particular species has had very good results.

Gaby said:
Nienna said:

Just a note that Lactobacillus rhamnosus gg is a "subtype" of lactobacillus rhamnosus. It's not necessarily the same.

Research suggests that L. rhamnosus gg promotes all good bacteria in your gut. So it is like taking several in that regard. Perhaps you can experiment by adding L. rhamnousus gg on top of what you are taking. Either or, this particular species has had very good results.

Gaby Thanks for the clarification, I was confused, thinking it was the same. :-[

Chu said:
Ascien said:
Hi Chu. The product in your first link contains maltodextrin, titanium dioxide, (I'd stay away from that as much as possible) & sucrose. I think I read on SOTT recently about HFCS being re-labelled simply as fructose. This makes me distrust sucrose in supplement ingredients too. I know that sometimes "needs must" & we might have to take the best thing available, ("the devil you know" & all that) but with the raft of changes that the industries that provide these products implement (we'll usually find out after the deed has be done) even simple things like sucrose may actually turn out to be "sucrose." The same way as high fructose corn syrup is now... "fructose." That said, I may be way off with those thoughts. I'm one of those still in the gut healing phase & fluctuate with inflammation (external stress mainly) even on the keto diet. Just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Yeah, it's really hard to find anything without corn starch, titanium dioxide, gluten of any kind, lactose, fructose... you name it. Sometimes it's even impossible! It's really frustrating. We ordered some from Amazon France that didn't have anything bad, except for potato starch (but that's about the best you can get).

Are you doing EE for coping with stress?

If you try these probiotics out as well, let us know how it goes regarding your gut healing and inflammation. :)

Hi. You've triggered a greater response than your question asked for ! (Its in "spits & spurts" for me, sorry) i'm not currently doing the full program (3-stage breathing) but i recently received the EE DVD & will be doing that asap. I'm convinced that I've got a mental block (some hidden program false narrative) that's stopped me doing doing the full program. I started meditation a few years back before finding EE & was surprised how easy I could do it consistently. For whatever reason I foolishly stopped (thinking I'd easily get back into it soon after) & struggled to do it again. Then EE came along, I got to grips with the first part (had to memorize the stages - using a relatives computer - as this was before I got the internet, then there were major upheavals in my personal life) but no more.

I was actually doing this before I changed my diet & as we all know, when you're serious about changing your life the "control system" injects a ton of crap into your life. Along with all the "matrix glitches" which confirm it. I'm sure I used this as an excuse then forgot about it. It's the only big thing in my life that I've neglected right now & being a workaholic doesn't help. But the belly breathing has helped for sure. I'll be REALLY pleased if I can do the full program soon, I tend to pick things up quickly after just a few attempts. Feeling comfortable about about knowing that I can learn quickly & actually DO things, has taken two decades to get over the "you're useless" thing (from narcissistic wounding) even though I knew that I wasn't. This seeped into everything I've ever accomplished & I didn't have pride in those achievements, just "that's done, on to the next" without ever taking a break.

I'll be trying the GG version & for some reason the same thing is on Amazon.UK without maltodextrin & sucrose, only titanium dioxide. (bah!) Actually Gaby gave me the same advice last year about probiotics & taurine. Couldn't get hold of the necessary product though (availability/money) & settled for this: http://www.amazon.com/Trusted-Nutrients-Probiotic-Bacteria-Digestive/dp/B00FCEMFHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426305334&sr=8-1&keywords=Trusted+Nutrients+Probiotic%3A+10+Billion+Live+Bacteria%2C+Advanced+Digestive+Support+-+180+Gelcaps

I have to say that I find it fascinating how some people or some words/phrases can trigger positive emotional responses from me. Writing exercises, "recapitulating" etc do work but I can never seem to get a lot out in one go... again, "spits & spurts." Hope I haven't hijacked the thread. Thanks though!

Gaby said:
Nienna said:

Thank you, Gaby. :flowers:

Just listening to the podcast on gut health, and something occurred to me.
If gut flora influences mood/cognition and immune responses, how does that tie into Gabor Mates early stress models and later disease?
That is, is it all psychological, or is the early stress changing the gut bacteria which 'sets' the brain chemicals up for life? And by extension addiction and disease?

http://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/research-and-journals/stress-affects-the-balance-of-bacteria-in-the-gut-and-immune-response
Stress Affects the Balance of Bacteria in the Gut and Immune Response

New York, 21 March 2011 – Stress can change the balance of bacteria that naturally live in the gut, according to research published this month in the journal Brain, Behavior, and Immunity.

“These bacteria affect immune function, and may help explain why stress dysregulates the immune response,” said lead researcher Michael Bailey.

Exposure to stress led to changes in composition, diversity and number of gut microorganisms, according to scientists from The Ohio State University. The bacterial communities in the intestine became less diverse, and had greater numbers of potentially harmful bacteria, such as Clostridium.

“These changes can have profound implications for physiological function”, explained Dr Bailey. “When we reduced the number of bacteria in the intestines using antibiotics, we found that some of the effects of stress on the immune system were prevented”, he added. “This suggests that not only does stress change the bacteria levels in the gut, but that these alterations can, in turn, impact our immunity.”

“This is the first evidence that the gut microorganisms may play a role in innate immunological stress responses,” said Monika Fleshner, Professor of Integrative Physiology at the University of Colorado, Boulder. “The study reveals the dynamic interactions between multiple physiological systems including the intestinal microbiota and the immune system.”

Because gut bacteria have been linked to diseases like inflammatory bowel disease, and even to asthma, a future goal of the study is to determine whether alterations of gut bacteria is the reason why these diseases tend to be worse during periods of pressure.

The research was conducted with colleagues from the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center and the Research and Testing Laboratories, and was funded by the National Institute of Health.

I also wonder how much of our inbuilt fight/flight responses (and even amygdala responses) are linked to the gut (via the actual bacteria, rather than neurons).
That is to say, could the bacteria be part of our decision making systems given they receive information from the environment (of the body)?

http://www.gutmicrobiotawatch.org/en/2014/01/27/melancholic-microbes-or-how-the-microbiota-can-affect-our-mood/
Melancholic microbes or how the microbiota can affect our mood
How does the microbiota affect brain-gut communication? This is one of the questions that experts from a range of disciplines, including neurogastroenterology and psychiatry, have been trying to answer for a while. They have used different strategies in their endeavours, from probiotics to microbiota transplants. And, for now, the results point to the conclusion that the gut microbiota may modify the chemicals in the brain and consequently, our behaviour.

As shown by Professor Ted Dinan and his colleagues at University College Cork (Ireland) in the latest edition of Neurogastroenterology & Motility, several recent studies show that in animals, depression and anxiety are related to an alteration in the composition of the gut microbiota. Furthermore, the experts have no doubt that gut-brain interactions may influence gut inflammation, chronic abdominal pain, and bowel dysfunctions. Professor Dinan has also shown that in the absence of sufficient digestive bacteria, serotonin (the so-called “happiness hormone”) that is needed for regular bowel and brain functions is not properly produced both in the gut and in the brain. Understanding the relationship between emotions and the microbiota may lead to the development of “new treatments for a wide range of conditions including obesity, mood disorders and gastrointestinal complaints,” says Professor Dinan.

Previous research by gastroenterologist Premysl Bercik of McMaster University (Canada) also supports these ideas. In experiments carried out on mice, Professor Bercik found that after modifying the composition of the microbiota of mice exhibiting a passive behavioural pattern, their “personality” (explorative behaviour) changed towards exploring and they tended to look for newness and risk. More interestingly, he showed that the change was linked to chemical alterations in two emotion-related brain structures – the hippocampus and the amygdala. Specifically, the change in gut microbiota increased the expression of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BNDF), a substance in the brain that protects adult neurons and which is lacking in depression-like behaviour. When the microbiota returned to its original state, the mice returned to their original behaviour pattern.

“We are getting an increasingly better understanding of how the (intestinal) microbiota affects the brain and behaviour,” says Professor Dinan, who is convinced that by combining genome analysis techniques and neuroscience we will unlock the reasons why emotional disturbances may occur when communication between the brain and gut fails.

Given the link, is this a low level of 'environmental information exchange' i.e. information theory?

The effects of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG on neurotransmitters

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25298006
Probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) and prebiotic prevent neonatal inflammation-induced visceral hypersensitivity in adult rats.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Increasing evidence indicates a positive effect of probiotics on the nervous system. The objective of this study was to determine if probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) and/or prebiotics polydextrose/galactooligosaccharide (PDX/GOS) can alter the colonic sensitivity in a neonatal rat model of chronic visceral hyperalgesia and to determine whether altered sensitivity is associated with changes in neurotransmitter levels in the brain.
METHODS:
Chronic visceral hyperalgesia was induced in rats by intracolonic administration of zymosan for 3 days during postnatal day 14-16 (P14-P16). After weaning (P21), these pups were divided into groups that received either (1) control diet (CD), (2) PDX/GOS, (3) LGG, or (4) PDX/GOS + LGG. These diets were continued until visceral sensitivity was tested at P60. The viscero-motor response (VMR) to graded colorectal distension (CRD) was determined by measuring the electromyographic (EMG) activity from the abdominal external oblique muscles. The levels of neurotransmitters and biogenic amines were quantified in the frontal cortex, subcortex, brain stem, and cerebellum.
KEY RESULTS:
At P60, the VMR to CRD in the neonatal zymosan-treated rats was significantly higher than neonatal saline-treated rats. In contrast, neonatal zymosan-treated rats that received PDX/GOS or LGG did not exhibit visceral hyperalgesia. The levels of serotonin, noradrenaline, and dopamine were significantly altered in LGG-treated rats compared to other groups.
CONCLUSIONS & INFERENCES:
Results document that in rats LGG can attenuate neonatally induced chronic visceral pain measured in adulthood. Prolonged intake of LGG alters some key brain neurotransmitters and biogenic amines that could be involved in pain modulation.

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/35443.pdf (there is a lot of info here on all aspect of physiology if you are interested)

Bacteria including probiotics can be considered as a chemical factory producing biologically active substance such as neurotransmitters and neuromodulators (Wang et al., 2010). It has been determined that Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium produce GABA, Escherichia, Bacillus and Saccharomyces produce norepinephrine, Candida, Streptococcus, Escherichia and Enterococcus produce serotonin, Bacillus produce dopamine, Lactobacillus produce acetylcholine (Lyt, 2011).

Due to a multitude of physical and mental symptoms I have read through and implemented much of the dietary and health advice on the forum. In addition to dietary, exercise and detox measures, I have tried out a range of probiotics including some soil-based probiotics such as prescript assist from which I noticed a slight benefit.

Having noticed a small, but not very impressive, improvement in my symptoms after using probiotics I began to conclude that they were mostly hype or that I was missing some other crucial element.

More recently, I read about a new brand of probiotic called Elixa. (More information regarding Elixa, and for those wishing to purchase this product, can be found at their website: http://www.elixa-probiotic.com/)

I first I heard of this was via the freetheanimal website, whose founder has views that I don't always agree with, but nonetheless I found myself intrigued by the supposed new technology, claims and testimonials which were given for this product.

This is a short course probiotic regimen of only 6 days and claims to deliver 50 Trillion CFUs over this 6 day period which is far more than other probiotic brands.

After overcoming my skepticism and figuring that it was worth a try, as the inventor of this product recommends a relatively minimal time investment of 6 days with which to see a benefit, I ordered a single pack.

In as short a time as 3 days there was a noticeable change in some of my symptoms such as decreased abdominal pain and bloating, decreased blurring of vision in my right eye and I am now able to tolerate multiple foods that previously would have made me feel pretty unwell.

I am pleasantly surprised by this brand of probiotics and felt it was my duty to recommend that those who are experimenting with probiotics give Elixa a try. I completed the course of 6 days and have not needed a repeat dosage so far, without a dulling of the benefits I described above.

Matai said:
Due to a multitude of physical and mental symptoms I have read through and implemented much of the dietary and health advice on the forum. In addition to dietary, exercise and detox measures, I have tried out a range of probiotics including some soil-based probiotics such as prescript assist from which I noticed a slight benefit.

Having noticed a small, but not very impressive, improvement in my symptoms after using probiotics I began to conclude that they were mostly hype or that I was missing some other crucial element.

More recently, I read about a new brand of probiotic called Elixa. (More information regarding Elixa, and for those wishing to purchase this product, can be found at their website: http://www.elixa-probiotic.com/)

I first I heard of this was via the freetheanimal website, whose founder has views that I don't always agree with, but nonetheless I found myself intrigued by the supposed new technology, claims and testimonials which were given for this product.

This is a short course probiotic regimen of only 6 days and claims to deliver 50 Trillion CFUs over this 6 day period which is far more than other probiotic brands.

After overcoming my skepticism and figuring that it was worth a try, as the inventor of this product recommends a relatively minimal time investment of 6 days with which to see a benefit, I ordered a single pack.

In as short a time as 3 days there was a noticeable change in some of my symptoms such as decreased abdominal pain and bloating, decreased blurring of vision in my right eye and I am now able to tolerate multiple foods that previously would have made me feel pretty unwell.

I am pleasantly surprised by this brand of probiotics and felt it was my duty to recommend that those who are experimenting with probiotics give Elixa a try. I completed the course of 6 days and have not needed a repeat dosage so far, without a dulling of the benefits I described above.

I forgot to mention in addition to above that this product contains Lactobacillus rhamnosus species amongst others: Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Lactobacillus Reuteri, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Lactobacillus Casei, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Bifidobacterium Lactis, Bifidobacterium Longum, and Bifidobacterium Breve.

It looks like an excellent product!

As a short note, in case of antibiotic induced diarrhea, Saccharomyces boulardii is your friend! It can create constipation if you don't have diarrhea. I wonder if that is the reason it is not added systematically to all probiotics. In any case, it works like a charm to ward off diarrhea by Clostridium difficile, typically due to antibiotics.

Matai said:
I forgot to mention in addition to above that this product contains Lactobacillus rhamnosus species amongst others: Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Lactobacillus Reuteri, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Lactobacillus Casei, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Bifidobacterium Lactis, Bifidobacterium Longum, and Bifidobacterium Breve.

They added new strains to Elixa V2:

Species-Additions.png

It sounds indeed like a very good product. I will try a double pack (12 days course) and report on results.

Today I finished 6-day program of Elixa V2. I noticed the first positive effect only on the 3rd day (as opposed to probiotic enema with which I felt the effect immediately).

So, what are the positive effects? Constant mental clarity, calmness, reduced OCD tendencies, better sleep, increased situational awareness, less cravings for caffeine and more balance in general (I hope it will continue). So I guess combining it (once in 6 months?) with probiotic enema can have very beneficial and long-lasting effects.

Back
Top Bottom