Laura's books at Amazon

This has been a great idea Gertrudes! I posted a review of Debugging the Universe this morning. I think it's up already. I will also be adding more in the coming weeks. It is fun to review books that you like Aragorn and it feels very good to be able to make some sort of contribution and to actually do something :)

This is indeed a great idea and I'm kinda ashamed that I needed to get a kick in the butt from Laura in order to do it. :-[ I have posted two reviews on the US amazon site and will do as everyone else is and post two a day until I nail all the ones I've read. I've also been thumbing down the negative reviews while I'm there. I'm not sure if that helps but what the heck!

Just put up one for,
Through a Glass Darkly: Hidden Masters, Secret Agendas and a Tradition Unveiled (The Wave or Adventures with Cassiopaea, Volume 4) (Paperback)

since it wasn't showing a review yet.

The star ratings I saw in general looked pretty good (mostly 4.5-5 stars) with 911 at 4 stars. I think many new reviews are appearing much quicker than 48 hrs. Mine appeared almost immediately. I'll add more as time goes on.

Great idea, Gertrudes! I've just done 3 reviews on Amazon.ca - The Wave, High Strangeness and PBPM. The surprising thing is that Laura's books had NO reviews prior to that. It's good in a way, since it's a blank canvas, but other people need to get on it. Where my Canadians at?!?

PBPM had a few reviews, all 5 stars, but I figured it didn't hurt to give another one :)

I'd done a couple of reviews long ago. Will click Yes on the "helpful" ones now, :) and review another one this week.

Just wanted to note that the US Amazon site has two editions listed for Secret History. The listing that FOTCM uses and the one Amazon sells on is the Dec 2005 edition, so if anyone leaves a review for SH, it would probably help to do it on the newer one. That one also only has 16 reviews vs 77 reviews on the older one.

I noticed Secret History's Amazon rank (for the newer listing) jumped from around 250,000 to about 77,000 yesterday and there have been 5 new reviews - so it looks like they may be helping some already. It did drop back to the 200,000s today. It's tough for a book to keep a high rank that is lower than 110,000 since those book ranks are calculated daily (if Amazon is still using the ranking algorithm that I'm aware of).

Done also in Amazon.es, but as you guys have pointed out, we need to be a bit careful, it needs to be "organic", that is, natural growth, otherwise amazon's reviewers will ban/remove all reviews if they see 200 people coming to the same books in one week.

Gertrudes said:
Another thing is to click the "Like" button which is just below the book title and, as already mentioned, report positive reviews as helpful.

This sounds as a good way to show support to a book on the Amazon, along with writing reviews. The more "likes" a book has, perhaps the more positive the vibe one would get about it.

But yes, the support/ reviews should grow in an organic way as mentioned many times.

While Secret History needs positive reviews, please do not forget the Wave series. There are 8 books in the series, but 3 of them have never been reviewed. I think I need to slow down a bit not to appear as spamming, but those of you who can take a look at them.

There are two editions as you know, the new ones with different cover designs, and the old ones. So only to review new ones, it might be a good idea to write specific names of the books like:

1 - Riding the Wave
2 - Soul Hackers
3 - Stripped to the Bone
4 - Through a Glass Darkly
5 & 6 - Petty Tyrants & Facing the Unknown
7 - Almost Human
8 - Debugging the Universe

My two cents, fwiw.

I will vote on some of the positive reviews made so far and make my own over the course of the next few days. I agree that a flood of overwhelmingly postive reviews is a short space of time might be a bad idea - because in the twisted perception of some people (and likely the same people who are responsible for the negative and defamatory reviews) this could be seen as cultic behaviour. On the other hand, the people that these reviews are intended for are less likely to notice such patterns, so I'm not so sure.

Concomitant with the idea that is the topic of this thread, i would also like to suggest that we use social media sites like Facebook the same way. "I" have already started doing this, liking articles that sott caries and commenting on them. To give balance to the whole thing, i click on the articles themselves and go to the source site, so that it's not all coming from one site in the eyes of people who may read, my comments on Facebook.

We can also create a network on Facebook just like the forum, by befriending each other, utilizing the same principles of the forum, there will be no mods, so it can also be seen as a test to see whether we can walk the talk. That way there is a greater likelihood of ordinary netziens encountering the work of QFG, because in the end, all we can do is provide as many opportunities as we can to others & point the way.

What do you think about this idea?

bngenoh said:
We can also create a network on Facebook just like the forum, by befriending each other, utilizing the same principles of the forum, there will be no mods, so it can also be seen as a test to see whether we can walk the talk. That way there is a greater likelihood of ordinary netziens encountering the work of QFG, because in the end, all we can do is provide as many opportunities as we can to others & point the way.

What do you think about this idea?

bngenoh, that's already in place. Many forum members are on facebook spreading sott.net articles - so feel free to join the fun.

anart said:
bngenoh, that's already in place. Many forum members are on facebook spreading sott.net articles - so feel free to join the fun.

Indeed, and it is fun to see everyone spreading around real news. Bngenoh, you may wish to review FOTCM and EE on Facebook! as well for some great tips and discussion about best practices and approaches, and some 'who's who.'

Back
Top Bottom