Laura's Chicken Soup

herondancer said:
herondancer said:
Hi DanielS,

Cayenne, unfortunately, is now on the Evil List (nightshade) due to further research since the original recipe was posted. :( If you need more zing in the broth, try fresh cracked black pepper or even fresh grated ginger. That should heat it up nicely!

It may be possible that you could handle the cayenne, if you have tested ok for nightshades. Still I'd be wondering what the capsicum would be doing to my intestines. I used to love (and I mean LOVE) Mexican and Indian food, but after being on the diet for a year, I found I couldn't handle capiscum. <:( It's something everyone would have to test individually, but testing would mean giving your gut a good six months off to get an accurate reading.

That long for testing? I've usually only gone off and re-introduced foods for about a month or two to see the affects. I've found tomatoes to be okay, as long as I don't eat them more than once a week or so. But I haven't had anything with cayenne for a while now, so I'll probably give that a shot in a smaller dish first before putting it in something that I'd eat consistently for a few days.

Reading about capiscum though, I found this

Cayenne or Capsicum takes its name from the Greek, 'to bite,' a reference to the hot pungent properties of the fruits and seeds. The plant was described by Linnaeus as C. frutescens proper. Introduced from India into Britain in 1548, the plant was already being cultivated.

The fruits contain 0.1 - 1.5% capsaicin, a substance which stimulates the circulation and alters temperature regulation. Applied topically, capsaicin desensitizes nerve endings and makes a good local anesthetic. The seed contains capsicidins, which are thought to have antibiotic properties.

The dried fruit has no narcotic effect but as a powerful local stimulant, it is effective in dilating blood vessels and relieving chronic congestion. Due to its high vitamin C content, it is said to be good at warding off disease.

Don't know if all that is entirely true as it paints a very positive picture, but if that is the case, it would aid in keeping a person warm in the winter, as long as they aren't allergic to nightshade.

Cooked this today for lunch. Super yummy!

Didn't account for the time it took for cooking it though... end up having lunch at 3.30pm. :P
But it was worth the wait! ;D

Can this soup replace bone broth if we remove pepper, salt, the veggies, and add 2 or 3 marrow bones and apple vinegar ?

I ask the question because i usually did my bone broth with 2 pork feet cut into 2, a veal tongue and marrow bones, plus garlic and cloves. The simmering lasted approximately 5 hours but the veal tongue had to be removed after 2 hours. I used to eat the pork feet and the veal tongue but the pork feet now make my body very warm (i have to eat them in the morning to be able to sleep at night with a normal body temperature) and the veal tongue has made me sick twice (veeeery upset stomach. Charcoal has helped). I had no problem with all of it in the past. The broth i get from it is fine. Brown/yellow and gelatinous.

Is chicken a good alternative ? Can it provide the same nutrients ? I really need my daily broth cup.

Yes, this recipe was put up before we all went paleo/keto.

You can do the same thing, add a few extra bones, leave out the rice and veggies (except for the celery leaves/seed). Heck, no reason you can't add a few peas. Leave in the fat. I always remove all the bones after it has cooled and then re-heat to eat.

Shinzenbi said:
Can this soup replace bone broth if we remove pepper, salt, the veggies, and add 2 or 3 marrow bones and apple vinegar ?

I ask the question because i usually did my bone broth with 2 pork feet cut into 2, a veal tongue and marrow bones, plus garlic and cloves. The simmering lasted approximately 5 hours but the veal tongue had to be removed after 2 hours. I used to eat the pork feet and the veal tongue but the pork feet now make my body very warm (i have to eat them in the morning to be able to sleep at night with a normal body temperature) and the veal tongue has made me sick twice (veeeery upset stomach. Charcoal has helped). I had no problem with all of it in the past. The broth i get from it is fine. Brown/yellow and gelatinous.

Is chicken a good alternative ? Can it provide the same nutrients ? I really need my daily broth cup.

I do this regularly. I cook an entire range chicken in a large pot with filtered water (I do add black ground pepper to the water). The chicken fat from the skin makes some lovely gelatinous fat to add to the broth. After cooking for several hours (lid on, simmering 3-4 hours), the meat literally falls off the bones and the bones are almost like paper so you are getting good nutrients. Just look out for the smaller bones as the chicken cooks apart.

I do add some seasoning after it's completely cooked.

Back
Top Bottom