"Life Without Bread"

Laura said:
That emphasizes what we were talking about earlier today here in the house - and which actually comes up quite a bit - HOW to get more fat in ratio to meat. Geeze, the cows have been bred to have less fat... I've asked the butcher to use the fattiest pieces when he makes my ground meat, but it is still not fatty enough. Fat gets trimmed all the time and I've had to put a stop to that. We feel best, it seems, when we eat fatty pork or lamb.

But clearly, I've got to do even more to get the higher fat content into everybody.

Where I live the packaged ground pork has about 12% fat, and packaged ground pork-beef mix (60% pork, 40% beef) has fat content of 23%. This is similar across most brands.
I have been making patties out of the pork-beef mix because of the higher fat content.

What kind of fat percentages can we even dream of getting out our ground meat for our patties? Most packages give the fat percentage when buying from supermarkets (But this is likely grain fed meat - but here in this country the livestock is not fed antibiotics and hormones).

Jefferson

A bit off topic, though important if anyone missed this horrifying SOTT article: http://www.sott.net/articles/show/228297-Meat-Glue-Or-How-to-Make-a-Filet-Mignon-out-of-Stew-Meat

Tykes said:
Nevertheless, several family members are horrified with this, especially her mother, she even phoned me the other night crying, pleading me to stop doing this to her poor child. The next day they came to my house and set up a huge drama, urging me for god's sake to take her with a competent Doctor, because she, they say, is just skin and bones. They offer to pay the whole treatment, because "it's too expensive and they realize that maybe is out of my budget".

Oh boy, this seems like a very delicate situation...

I don't know how comfortable you would feel with this, or whether it is applicable in your situation, but perhaps telling her parents that her gastritis disappeared since being on the diet and that you have talked with a doctor which supports it might help?

Personally, I had to tell my family that I found out that I had many food sensitivities and therefore had to keep away from those foods. Although I didn't go to a doctor, I gave the sensation I had been to one, it was the only way I found to stop all questioning and attempts to make me eat differently. Being together with them was very uncomfortable before that, whenever I went to my parents' during holidays I would be subject to the typical "oh you're so thin, and look at what you are eating! That's destroying your health!" over and over and over....

I figured they were not prepared for my eating habits, and probably never won't, and that it would be much easier for everyone to just give an excuse they could accept as valid for my eating choices.

On a side note, many thanks for expanding on this topic, I'm learning immensely with this thread. I have ordered life without bread and am looking forward to it.

Laura said:
I fed all my babies egg yolk custard every morning from the time they were six months until they were eating eggs on their own. I usually fried them gently in butter or poached them. Fried eggs with crumbled bacon on them are yummy for kids!

Thank you for the tip Laura, we will try this tomorrow morning. :)

Gertrudes said:
Oh boy, this seems like a very delicate situation...

I don't know how comfortable you would feel with this, or whether it is applicable in your situation, but perhaps telling her parents that her gastritis disappeared since being on the diet and that you have talked with a doctor which supports it might help?

Personally, I had to tell my family that I found out that I had many food sensitivities and therefore had to keep away from those foods. Although I didn't go to a doctor, I gave the sensation I had been to one, it was the only way I found to stop all questioning and attempts to make me eat differently. Being together with them was very uncomfortable before that, whenever I went to my parents' during holidays I would be subject to the typical "oh you're so thin, and look at what you are eating! That's destroying your health!" over and over and over....

I figured they were not prepared for my eating habits, and probably never won't, and that it would be much easier for everyone to just give an excuse they could accept as valid for my eating choices.

On a side note, many thanks for expanding on this topic, I'm learning immensely with this thread. I have ordered life without bread and am looking forward to it.

I can relate to what you say Gertrudes thanks, I have already lose any hope to be understood, and on the other hand I don't think it is important anymore.

In any case, your suggestion seems to be a good strategy to shoo the mother away, the father is another story, is out of the scene because of Delicate Reasons, so though it's very uncomfortable to have this woman drawing attention and trying to expose me as an irresponsable guy for ruining the life of her daughter (and hers I guess), I'm about to stop trying to give her any arguments because she simply don't get it and has shown over and over that she is not willing to overcome her pathological behaviour.

We will continue with the diet and learning about what could be good for us to eat. We are still experimenting and adapting with the food we are able to get here according our present circumstances. The important thing is that we have experienced on ourselves some great benefits from the diet, so nobody could say we are just following weird trends or whacky ideas, we will continue to do so because is the right thing to do for us. I feel very proud of how my baby is growing without vaccinations and toxic food, I can see some clear differences with other babys of the same age. So why should I care about that people?

It's really wonderful to have all this information available, plus the new data that comes everyday and the profitable feedback from this threads.

Laura said:
That emphasizes what we were talking about earlier today here in the house - and which actually comes up quite a bit - HOW to get more fat in ratio to meat. Geeze, the cows have been bred to have less fat... I've asked the butcher to use the fattiest pieces when he makes my ground meat, but it is still not fatty enough. Fat gets trimmed all the time and I've had to put a stop to that. We feel best, it seems, when we eat fatty pork or lamb.

But clearly, I've got to do even more to get the higher fat content into everybody.

That is exactly what I have been trying to figure out -- I was hoping you had an answer. :) Natural/organic meat is not hard to find where I am, but it tends to be very lean. We need more fat, but most of us probably don't need more protein.

Gary Taubes mentions at the end of Why We Get Fat that too much protein is not a good thing, and it has come out in other places as well. Another thing he mentions is that meat eaters (including, presumably, paleolithic humans) prefer "organ meats," leaving the less-desirable "muscle meat" (the part that we eat almost exclusively) to the scavengers. I don't have the printed book (I read the audiobook) and I am writing this from memory.

Fiber Menace has quite a bit to say about how changing your diet can affect stools and gut bacteria. The carbs and the fiber tend to come packaged together we we eat plant foods, although not as much with white flour and crystalline sugar which I hope people here are managing to avoid. I don't have time to look it up right now (it's "lights out" time here) but I think it says that protein should be completely digested and not be part of stool, and that when your gut is healthy and not stuffed with fiber, live and dead bacteria will make up a large percentage of the stool.

All I have for now is puzzle pieces. I don't quite know how they fit together. Length of day figures in too. Taubes mentions fat accumulation in anticipation of winter but doesn't say anything about what might trigger it (but I haven't seen his earlier, longer book).

Megan said:
Laura said:

That is exactly what I have been trying to figure out -- I was hoping you had an answer. :) Natural/organic meat is not hard to find where I am, but it tends to be very lean. We need more fat, but most of us probably don't need more protein.

Here were I live is usually very difficult to get nearly anything, but despite of all it's limitations, this place has some advantages too, like the possibility to get some good organic meat, we recently found a meat shop that sells a very fat bacon, it has proportionally more fat than meat and it's very tasteful.

Megan said:
Gary Taubes mentions at the end of Why We Get Fat that too much protein is not a good thing, and it has come out in other places as well. Another thing he mentions is that meat eaters (including, presumably, paleolithic humans) prefer "organ meats," leaving the less-desirable "muscle meat" (the part that we eat almost exclusively) to the scavengers. I don't have the printed book (I read the audiobook) and I am writing this from memory.

Wow, that sounds quite interesting, just the opposite of what we have been taught. Definitely this is a subjetc that deserves further investigation.

3D Student said:
I'm wondering about blinis and cakes, etc. Are they pretty much out now? I have about 30-40 grams of "carb buffer" that I could eat, and I have a lot of buckwheat and other flours.

With a view to calculating how you could make up that 30-40g with buckwheat flour, etc:

per 100g
Buckwheat flour
12.6g protein
70.6g carb
3.1g fat
10g fibre

Quinoa flour
15.3g protein
63.1g carb
7.1g fat
2.9g fibre

The good thing about blinis is that they absorb a lot of fat. :)

This may help, or not.

Megan said:

There was a similar story on "Life Without Bread", on how meat with little fat was given to enemies so they will get sick or something like that. :shock:

I can tolerate almonds, so I've been eating pure organic almond butter which has over 50 grams of fat per 100 grams of almond butter and only 10 grams of carbs.

Psyche said:
I can tolerate almonds, so I've been eating pure organic almond butter which has over 50 grams of fat per 100 grams of almond butter and only 10 grams of carbs.

Great to learn that since I have no problem with almonds and cashew.

I eat quite often for breakfast organic almond butter and organic cashew butter which is a pur delight.

Gandalf said:
Psyche said:

Great to learn that since I have no problem with almonds and cashew.

I eat quite often for breakfast organic almond butter and organic cashew butter which is a pur delight.

Will have to test those. The idea of a nice pork chop smothered with either of those sounds great to me.

Psyche said:

From : _http://www.dietobio.com/dossiers/en/nuts/fats.html

Fat content of nuts
Nuts are rich in fats and that is the main reason why they are not really appreciated. Nowadays, many people are on a low calorie diet or are really concerned by their weight. Eating nuts in reasonable amounts will not increase your weight. (read futher).

60 % of the calories in nuts come from fats. Macadamias and pecan are the richest with more than 70 g of fats per 100 g. Cashews and pistachios are the least caloric.

Being rich in fats does not mean that nuts are bad for our health. On the contrary, their fats are mostly unsaturated and are benefical in the prevention of coronary heart disease and in lowering LDL cholesterol.
However, Brazil nuts, macadamias, cashews and pine nuts also contain large amounts of saturated fats.

Brazil nuts, pine nuts and walnuts provide also polyunsaturated fatty acids with the two essential fatty acids: linoleic and alpha linolenic acids. Walnuts are especially rich in alpha linolenic acid with 9 mg per 100 g.

See the graph below for more info.

Attachments

• nuts.jpg
    nuts.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 64
Gandalf said:
Psyche said:

From : _http://www.dietobio.com/dossiers/en/nuts/fats.html

Fat content of nuts
Nuts are rich in fats and that is the main reason why they are not really appreciated. Nowadays, many people are on a low calorie diet or are really concerned by their weight. Eating nuts in reasonable amounts will not increase your weight. (read futher).

60 % of the calories in nuts come from fats. Macadamias and pecan are the richest with more than 70 g of fats per 100 g. Cashews and pistachios are the least caloric.

Being rich in fats does not mean that nuts are bad for our health. On the contrary, their fats are mostly unsaturated and are benefical in the prevention of coronary heart disease and in lowering LDL cholesterol.
However, Brazil nuts, macadamias, cashews and pine nuts also contain large amounts of saturated fats.

Brazil nuts, pine nuts and walnuts provide also polyunsaturated fatty acids with the two essential fatty acids: linoleic and alpha linolenic acids. Walnuts are especially rich in alpha linolenic acid with 9 mg per 100 g.

I think we probably want to avoid getting a lot of our fat content from nuts. Some is OK, but nuts are fairly high in phytosterols, which are like the plant equivalent of cholesterol. Dr. Briffa did a post not too long ago about a study that found phytosterols will actually replace cholesterol in the cells, causing malfunction (particularly in the heart cells).

http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/04/25/healthy-cholesterol-reducing-compounds-found-to-be-toxic-to-heart-cells/

People used to go crazy on the phytosterols because they would actually lower cholesterol levels (which we know is actually a bad thing), but now they're finding they may cause heart complications. The study isn't conclusive, but I'm still going to avoid going crazy on the nuts.

One possible way to increase fat content of the diet could be pemmican. I don't know too much about it, but I was reading on a blog somewhere about a guy who was doing a zero carb diet and subsisted almost entirely on pemmican since it was so high in fat (there's also some speculation that he ended up with scurvy since he wasn't supplementing any vitamin C. He wasn't getting it from animal sources by eating the adrenals either, which is probably how traditional carb-free diets were sustainable). Pemmican has been discussed on the forum before here - http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=22419.0

Mod's note: Edited to fix the quotation boxes

Laura said:
I fed all my babies egg yolk custard every morning from the time they were six months until they were eating eggs on their own. I usually fried them gently in butter or poached them. Fried eggs with crumbled bacon on them are yummy for kids!

I thought it was better (pls see the links below from Omega 3 Fatty Acids topic) to boil an egg and then separate its yolk for my ten-months daughter. If it's OK to fry egg yolks in butter, I'll try it. She will lke it for sure! By the way, does 'yolks custard' mean the mixture of yolks? (Sorry for this silly question!!!)

Belibaste said:
Laura said:
Breaking the yolks causes something in there to oxidize and changes its chemical nature, as I understand it.

Here are some more data about this process :

When cooking an egg, the cholesterol in the yolk is altered when simultaneously heated and exposed to air. Therefore, eggs should be cooked without breaking the yolks (i.e. poached, boiled, over easy, etc.), instead of scrambled or made into omelets. A raw blended egg should be drunk fairly quickly, or refrigerated, because leaving it out at room temperature will start cholesterol oxidation, albeit more slowly than by cooking.
{Health Scientist Panelist, Allan Spreen, MD, on e-Alert, April 3, 2003}

[/quote

dugdeep said:
I think we probably want to avoid getting a lot of our fat content from nuts. Some is OK, but nuts are fairly high in phytosterols, which are like the plant equivalent of cholesterol. Dr. Briffa did a post not too long ago about a study that found phytosterols will actually replace cholesterol in the cells, causing malfunction (particularly in the heart cells).

http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/04/25/healthy-cholesterol-reducing-compounds-found-to-be-toxic-to-heart-cells/

We'll have to contact local farmers to see if they can get us some meat with some fat on it.

Chacara said:
Laura said:

I thought it was better (pls see the links below from Omega 3 Fatty Acids topic) to boil an egg and then separate its yolk for my ten-months daughter. If it's OK to fry egg yolks in butter, I'll try it. She will lke it for sure! By the way, does 'yolks custard' mean the mixture of yolks? (Sorry for this silly question!!!)

Sorry I wasn't clear. I gave them the egg yolk custard until I began frying or poaching WHOLE, unbroken eggs for them.

Egg yolk custard: 1 egg yolk, 2 tablespoons pure cream, pinch of salt. Put in heat proof small glass custard dish. Set dish in pan of shallow gently boiling water. Stir egg yolk and cream until thickens. Cool and feed to baby.

Yes, I know about the egg yolk supposedly needing to be unbroken, I'm just telling you what I fed my babies and I suspect that cooking it with cream this way may very well preserve it from the oxidation.

Another thing to feed babies would be meat pureed in the blender with some pan drippings added.

Back
Top Bottom