"Life Without Bread"

curious_richard said:
Courageous Inmate Sort said:
Among the comments that I find especially interesting is that the "adaptation process also appears to require consistent adherence to carbohydrate restriction, as people who intermittently consume carbohydrates while attempting a ketogenic diet report subjectively reduced exercise tolerance". This could indicate that cutting out all carbs may be best to achieve adaptation to the keto diet in less time and thus reduce the amount of time one would feel low in energy (provided that the other criteria are also taken into account, like the fat/protein ratio), osit.

That may be true, but it would be difficult for me to go to zero carbs. I usually try for 30 to 40 grams per day. One beer and some nuts as a "reward" can add up to 30 grams.

I'm just wondering, doesn't beer contain gluten too?

_http://www.celiac.com/articles/798/1/A-Word-on-Gluten-and-Beer/Page1.html

curious_richard said:
Again, I think a zero-carb diet would be difficult and unrealistic.

I think so too. As far as I understand different organs are using different energy, for example the heart needs fat (what Dr. Lutz describes) and the brain mainly sugar (carbohydrates, p. 69 in the book), so I don't know if a no-carb transition phase is possible or even recommended. Maybe these athletes don't need the brain. :P As Laura wrote some posts before and mentioned by Courageous Inmate Sort, it is better to go easy with the diet and give the body time to adjust.

Anyway thanks for mentioning the article.

I'm also experiencing diarrhea for most of last 3-4 weeks. I'm trying to keep my daily carb intake bellow 72g and so far I'm on it or even well bellow. I'm also experiencing muscle ticks which does not responding with Calcium or Potassium supplementation at least in amounts I'm taking, perhaps I should increase daily dosages? I've developed greasy forehead also. Some low energy and lack of fast muscle power. After few brief bike sprints yesterday, I've experienced some pain/discomfort in liver/gallbladder area. In spite of diarrhea I'm not loosing weight although I'm of thin/hardgainer kind, which is positive and interesting I suppose?

Couldn't consume meal with more then 35g of fats in single serving. Currently supplementing my diet with 700mg Calcium, 300mg Mg, 2000IU D3, 100IU vit. E, 50mcg Selenium, 200mg Potassium (considering increase to 1g for few days), 500mg vit. C., 500mg Acetyl L-Carnitine, 200mg ALA.

I've ordered some digestive enzymes with ox bile and molybdenum for liver support.

Adding some fresh Ginger, Turmeric and Ricola seems to be helpful along with 2 cups of black tea daily.

I'm going to keep carbs at 72g max, but will playing with fat to protein ratio adding some changes into supplementation regimen and report changes.

Suggestions are appreciated.

What I do when I start feeling a bit "tricky" is just up the carbs a little bit with veggies and maybe an extra blini or two. Every day is different.

A couple of the guys here have had some issues with leg cramping and transitioning from carbs and Psyche generally has a solution when she knows all they symptoms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I haven't seen discussed here is precisely how much fat versus protein should be consumed. If we were to try for a 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% (or less) carbs, how many grams of fat and protein work out to? I presume it can't just be worked out by weight alone because we are talking about energy requirements here and I understand that fat provides much more energy than protein.

For example, if I eat a pork chop that has 20% fat and 80% protein as weight on the actual chop, what might that work out as in terms of energy?

The other interesting experience from "Life Without Bread" is what they describe as "syndrome of the unconquerable infection." People generally have much less infections in the diet, if any. Instead, they can generally have a strange feeling like they have a cold, but there is really no infection and they don't necessarily feel ill.

They found that a simple treatment with 10 to 12 mg of cortisone of prednisone for four to five days was enough to eliminate minor problems. The dose is low enough and I don't think a doctor will refuse.

They speculated that this syndrome takes place because the immune system strengthens and tissues that had even a slight infection gets rapidly and aggressively attacked by the immune system. Steroids temporarily stops this and as the tissue returns to normal and the initial infection disappears, no additional autoaggression takes place. The clinical outcome of the cortisone therapy has been shown to be extremely effective in their experience. They also report how people with autoimmune disease benefit from the diet.

In people in a low carb diet since childhood, this problem is not seen. But those of us who start as adults, will likely see some problems. They say:

[A] person's immune system is already programmed to a variety of infections, and the low-carbohydrate diet makes very powerful reactions possible. The immune system may deal most efficiently with an infection but then call with particular intensity for damage of the tissue, which the body consequently is not able to avoid. Some people benefit from taking cortisone for a few days after almost every infection

They say that people with genuine asthma will benefit first of cortisone therapy, then the diet, and then perhaps cortisone again. This therapy also applies to other diseases like lupus or polyarthritis and other autoimmune diseases.

Psyche said:
The other interesting experience from "Life Without Bread" is what they describe as "syndrome of the unconquerable infection." People generally have much less infections in the diet, if any. Instead, they can generally have a strange feeling like they have a cold, but there is really no infection and they don't necessarily feel ill.

Thank's for that Psyche, I'd missed it - I'd been wondering why I'd got a head cold for these past few days, metaphysically this indicates getting ahead of one's self, which I've certainly been doing - this now gives me the physical reason for the manifestation as it's most unusual for me to get colds.

Perceval said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I haven't seen discussed here is precisely how much fat versus protein should be consumed. If we were to try for a 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% (or less) carbs, how many grams of fat and protein work out to? I presume it can't just be worked out by weight alone because we are talking about energy requirements here and I understand that fat provides much more energy than protein.

For example, if I eat a pork chop that has 20% fat and 80% protein as weight on the actual chop, what might that work out as in terms of energy?

In relation to this, the book recommends 72 g of 'effective' carbs. What are these? Does it relate to the carbs left after processing, or ...? Dr's Eades in their book, Protein Power, talk of 'effective carbohydrate content' as total carbohydrate content less fibre content, is this the same thing?

Trevrizent said:
In relation to this, the book recommends 72 g of 'effective' carbs. What are these? Does it relate to the carbs left after processing, or ...? Dr's Eades in their book, Protein Power, talk of 'effective carbohydrate content' as total carbohydrate content less fibre content, is this the same thing?

Yeah, basically you subtract the fiber content in grams. It will be the carbs that your body will be able to digest.

Well,I'm on very low carbs diet since March 24 when Laura advised me about my skin issues(carcinoma),I guess she was in the very act to read "Life Without Bread"!Indeed I had no choice so I ran for a severe paleo/low carb diet,got some probiotics and supplements for candida detox and shortly after my spots began to disappear.Great!
Needless to say I came through very bad times with die-off symptoms:depression,lack of will,lazyness,lost of faith,doubts towards this forum and so on...Moreover it coincided with the resumption of my night-work what brought new problems which are solved now.
Now since about one week I think I've reached Ketosis,let me explain why I believe so.Firstly I felt stronger on my legs with thicker thighs so I weighed myself,I gained 2 kgs!!!It never happened to me before, always sticked to 70 for years!Then my body smells much differently than ever,especially when I work and sweat in the garden at the present time;several times a day,particularly in the morning,my breath smells acetone which also is very new for me.It's not at all the same taste that I've experienced after taking DMSO orally.And finally my faeces don't smell anymore!
Energy levels are also awesome,I found myself working 7 hours in a row without any food intake and it's amazing how the body managed to switch from sugar to fat metabolism because I must say that I've been a sugar junkie since I could walk unfortunately!(you should see my teeths).One month ago I did a huge mountain trip with a friend who is on high carb yet having taken only fatty meat,vit C and some prunes,my body seemed to behave very differently upon effort,heart beating slower,no need to rest often etc...
On the other hand I smoke twice more than usual and drink much more tea(with xylitol) too,that cause me slight headaches before I wake up.Sometimes I wonder how harder it would have been if xylitol didn't exist!It really helped me a lot for sugar withdrawal.
Now I have cravings for fats,more particularly what we call here in france gratons or fritons which are fried pieces of duck fat with a bit of meat around,exquisite and delicious.That's a much healthier addiction (with this forum too!)
Anyway thank you all on this thread.DCM bless FAT ;)

Psyche said:

They found that a simple treatment with 10 to 12 mg of cortisone of prednisone for four to five days was enough to eliminate minor problems. The dose is low enough and I don't think a doctor will refuse.

They speculated that this syndrome takes place because the immune system strengthens and tissues that had even a slight infection gets rapidly and aggressively attacked by the immune system. Steroids temporarily stops this and as the tissue returns to normal and the initial infection disappears, no additional autoaggression takes place. The clinical outcome of the cortisone therapy has been shown to be extremely effective in their experience. They also report how people with autoimmune disease benefit from the diet.

In people in a low carb diet since childhood, this problem is not seen. But those of us who start as adults, will likely see some problems. They say:

[A] person's immune system is already programmed to a variety of infections, and the low-carbohydrate diet makes very powerful reactions possible. The immune system may deal most efficiently with an infection but then call with particular intensity for damage of the tissue, which the body consequently is not able to avoid. Some people benefit from taking cortisone for a few days after almost every infection

They say that people with genuine asthma will benefit first of cortisone therapy, then the diet, and then perhaps cortisone again. This therapy also applies to other diseases like lupus or polyarthritis and other autoimmune diseases.

hm interesting that even I did not think that I have a cold hmm although I suspected and I took 10 mg of vitamin every day. although it still feels a slight cold.

Psyche said:
Trevrizent said:

Yeah, basically you subtract the fiber content in grams. It will be the carbs that your body will be able to digest.
Is it that not all the carbs are digested, or does the fiber slow the digestion of the carbs so that there is less of an insulin response? I have read both.

The fiber itself can be a problem with some foods, but I don't seem to be having problems with it as long as I keep the total amount low. Conveniently, lowering carbs and lowering fiber seem to amount to almost the same thing in practice.

Megan said:
Is it that not all the carbs are digested, or does the fiber slow the digestion of the carbs so that there is less of an insulin response? I have read both.

The fiber itself can be a problem with some foods, but I don't seem to be having problems with it as long as I keep the total amount low. Conveniently, lowering carbs and lowering fiber seem to amount to almost the same thing in practice.

I think it is the fiber that is really horrible in its own way and the carbs in another.

My son CAN eat carbs - like mashed potatoes - without setting off his IBS thing. But it affects him in other negative ways. But if he has ANY fiber at all, he's back in the hospital.

Laura said:
A couple of the guys here have had some issues with leg cramping [...]

I experienced something similar last week as I woke up for example.

Don Diego said:
Well,I'm on very low carbs diet since March 24 when Laura advised me about my skin issues(carcinoma),I guess she was in the very act to read "Life Without Bread"!Indeed I had no choice so I ran for a severe paleo/low carb diet,got some probiotics and supplements for candida detox and shortly after my spots began to disappear.Great!

These are great news Don!

GI = Glycemic index
Legolas said:
forge said:
[..]Craved sweets 2-3 times during the day. Curiously, when i got home and prepared my "Good By Raisins"-chocolate and began to snack, i felt my body doesn't need it so i stopped short. :umm:
Weeks before i gobbled down most of this chocolate with lots of the poisonous Cassia Cinnamon, even more, because i reduced the sugar content. But now i just didn't want it.
Maybe take it as an exercise to resist that chocolate and if this doesn't work out: don't have it at home anymore (throw it away), so that there is no chance in eating it. And it may take a while until your body graves more fats than sweetness.

Thank You! Reading further posts now i know, why i had an unusually strong intestinal reaction to the irritating effect of cocoa and cinnamon with this diet: Mild gut inflammation, but stopped with half a pill of paracetamolum. Yesterday i just put 5grams of raw sugar into my chocolate jug(lasting for 2 days), because feeling weird. I'm shooting for replacing my raw brown sugar and buying Xylitol GI=7 and trying to overload my sweets-craving senses with it.

Leaving out tea, cutting back on cocoa, throwing out raisins GI=61. Also sunflower seeds - raw, unsalted - have a lot of potassium, good for depression, but cause irritation of my stomach.

Homemade chocolate carbs content: 4 jugs lasted for 10 days
388gr Raisins: 308gr carbs
10 gr raw cane sugar: 10 gr carbs
6 gr calcium lactium: -
568 gr dutch 22% cocoa: 330gr carbs
Ceylon cinnamon 200gr: ~4 gr?
---------------------
652 gr carbs / 10 days = 65.2 gr
+ in approx. 150 gr buckwheat a day there were 90gr. of buckwheat_carbs / day
---------------------
All in all about 156grams of carbs per day i was going with.

If i will leave out raisins and replace raw sugar with xylitol, replace Cassia Cinnamon with Ceylon cinnamon, i should be at
about: 124gr carbs per day.

:thdown:

Still too much. Hm.. Let's try to leave out or minimize the cocoa - WOW! 85 grams of it contains Caffeine 67.1 mg, is this to what my heart reacts to???!!- and lower buckwheat intake to about only 100 grams of buckwheat bread per day that should leave me around the 72 grams of carbs. I need however the effect of the Carbohydrate High of the chocolate to put my mind on superhigh efficiency, when i need it (equivalent of colleagues smoking or drinking coffee at work, compared to me a non-smoker and non-cofeeer). I hope with time with fat & exercise i will be able to achieve high concentration task performance.

References:
* Raisin carbs content:
_http://www.findanutritionist.com/resources/tables/glycaemic_carbohydrate.html
* Buckwheat carbs content: 100gr contains total of 63.2gr carbs (label on sack) or:
_http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5684/2
* Dutch cocoa 22% carbs content:
_http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5472/2
*Ceylon and Cassia cinnamon:
_http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=64
_http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/180/2
_http://www.dietspotlight.com/about-ceylon-cinnamon-for-weight-loss-review/

Perceval said:

This website gives a breakdown of energy values and constituent parts (Protein, Carb, Fat, fibre, minerals etc) - www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search

The big question then is, how much energy is required for the day.

This may help, or not.

Perceval said:

I think it hasn't been discussed because it's complicated :) You have to switch from the weight of the food you're eating to the calorie content. And you're right - fat is more energy dense than protein or carbohydrate.

Let's suppose, for arguments sake, that you're eating 3000 calories per day (calories being the measure of energy). If you're aiming for the 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs you mentioned above, that's 2100 calories of fat, 600 calories of protein and 300 calories of carbs. When figuring out how much that translates to in weight, we need to convert calories to grams. But, while protein and carbs both provide 4cal/g, fat provides 9cal/g.

This means you're looking at 150g of protein, 75g of carbs, 233g of fat.

A single pork chop has about 33g of protein so if it was 20% fat you're looking at a 41.25g pork chop with 8.25g of fat. That means you're getting 132 calories of protein and 74.25 calories from fat. In other words, not enough fat.

An easier way to figure it out may be this - since we know how much protein and carb we're aiming for, roughly, we can just say "make the rest fat". We know we're aiming for 72g of carbs (288 calories). We know our protein requirements are anywhere from 1.2 - 1.7g/kg body weight (from Courageous Inmate Sort's article - great article btw :) ) . In my case, I think I weigh about 86kg (give or take, I don't own a scale), so that means my protein requirement is anywhere from 103 - 146g per day. Let's take the middle ground and say 130g (520 calories).

So we could just say eat 72g of carbs, 130g of protein and eat the rest as fat until you're sated. Or you could figure out your ideal caloric intake and calculate how much fat you actually should be taking in, but these calculations are always problematic and theories on ideal caloric intake are usually slanted towards the "lower calories is better" idea.

Assuming, as I did above, eating 3000 calories (which would be too much for most people, but we'll just go with this since I think it's probably right for me), with 808cal taken up by protein and carb, I need to hit 1192 calories of fat - or 133g of fat per day. That's about 1/2 a pound of butter per day worth of fat, ie. a whole lot of fat. I really don't think I'm hitting this and have actually been running into issues with heartburn when I up my fat intake too much.

I don't know if this helps at all. I may have just confused the issue. There's quite a bit of wiggle room in the formula here considering protein requirement is given as a range. At the end of the day, I think most people are just going to eat what they feel like after keeping their carbs down to 72g, but maybe we should always be trying to make an effort to load up on fat.

Legolas said:
I think so too. As far as I understand different organs are using different energy, for example the heart needs fat (what Dr. Lutz describes) and the brain mainly sugar (carbohydrates, p. 69 in the book), so I don't know if a no-carb transition phase is possible or even recommended. Maybe these athletes don't need the brain. :P As Laura wrote some posts before and mentioned by Courageous Inmate Sort, it is better to go easy with the diet and give the body time to adjust.

It is possible, Legolas, because of something you wrote about earlier in the thread - gluconeogenesis. The liver is able to convert protein into carbohydrate in order to feed the brain and other tissues that can't survive on ketone bodies alone. Theoretically, zero carb should be doable, as long as you're getting vitamin C from somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom