"Life Without Bread"

The niacin flush is supposed to greatly increase if consumed near or at the same time as anything acidic or hot (temperature AND spiciness wise). FWIW.

Foxx said:
LQB said:
anart said:
LQB said:
Laura said:
The info about Vitamin B3 and its relation to nicotine is rather fascinating. I've got some downstairs so I think I'll try taking it for awhile.

If you're going to take niacin (as opposed to niacinamide) watch out for the flush. The first time you take it, even 100mg can give a doosy of a flush.

Added: :shock: :O :scared:

Yep, this happened to me last week and I was literally neon pink for about a half hour - not very comfortable!

The first time I did about 200 mg and the flush went all the way down to my knees - not to mention the neon pink and itching. Fred Klenner MD suggests that you resist itching by pressing down on the skin or using an ice cube.

I forget at the moment where I read it, but I read that the itch factor in the flush comes from histamine being released and that ascorbic acid should bind (I think) with the histamine to stop the itch. I've tried this and flushed a lot (I took a lot--not sure how much) and was hot and cold at the same time, flushed as a beet except for my very extremities, but I was either not itchy at all or not very itchy, FWIW.

I just took about 500mg with about 4 gms Vit C - got a pretty good flush and definitely less itching.

Pashalis said:
Gawan said:
Pashalis said:
a few months ago I had a pistachios trip (on the paleo diet).
I ate up to 400 g of them per day, for weeks, usually at evening, simply because I couldn't stop to eat them !
they are so darn delicious and on top they don't have much carbohydrates ! :mad:

These were also many, many carbs.

actually 100g of pistachios without shell have about 12g carbohydrates.
the 400g are meant with schell (wich you can't eat and are quite heavy).
so the actual number must have been about 300g wich would make about 40g carbohydrates.
that is one of the reason I even more liked to eat them because they are so low in carbs.
I think they are one of the lowest nuts in terms of carbs.

I think macadamia nuts are around 5g of carbs per 100g (I think usda says 17g per 100g for pistachios)
A good thing is they are very expensive.
I have once or twice take 300g of them, but then I will be out of them for several days, or have little amounts.
Also, personnaly, if I eat nuts at noon I will take only few of them. But if it is in the evening it is way much difficult to stop.

Pecan nuts must be around 4g of carbs per 100 g, I haven't been able to find some around here;
Brazil nuts are also around 5g. And Cashew around 27g...

If you're having trouble limiting nut intake once it has begun, a little tip is to buy smaller amounts, so that you're cabinet contains, say 100 grams, and not a huge bag.

This is a sneaky way of not having to deal with your willpower, but it works for limiting nut intake, unless you're likely to run down to the store to buy more nuts, that is :P

liffy said:
If you're having trouble limiting nut intake once it has begun, a little tip is to buy smaller amounts, so that you're cabinet contains, say 100 grams, and not a huge bag.

This is a sneaky way of not having to deal with your willpower, but it works for limiting nut intake, unless you're likely to run down to the store to buy more nuts, that is :P

I think I would do that :whistle:

I bought 150 grams of toasted almonds three weeks ago at the organic farmer's market. After three days of temperance, I rushed half of the package with some coconut oil :halo:
That wasn't worth the week of constipation...

Laura said:
Psyche has taken a job in a Spanish hospital and will no longer be available to do research for us, so other medically/scientifically trained peeps here are gonna need to step up to the plate on this

Laura said:
Yes. But doing shifts and sleeping in a little room in a hospital, doing ER duty, means literally no time.

And yes, it was a bit surprising to us, but she had the offer and made the choice.

What a surprise indeed! That's a big gap needing to be filled... Hope you guys are OK.
Good luck in your new job, Psyche!

Hugs to everyone :hug2:

liffy said:

I done this cause I tend to go buck wild on nuts too. The problem about buying small amounts at a time is that I always have nuts on my mind.

Odyssey said:
liffy said:

I done this cause I tend to go buck wild on nuts too. The problem about buying small amounts at a time is that I always have nuts on my mind.

Looks like you're gonna go nuts in either case. If you go for nuts, I mean.

On another topic-related note: At the moment I have increased my carbs slightly, due to wanting a weight gain, as well as it probably being a bit more true to how my ancestors usually ate with these temperatures, considering the season we're in.

I'm focusing most of my carbs around workouts, and on more sedentary days my meals are primarily protein and fat. My breakfasts are eggs and bacon, with perhaps some mushrooms, and lunchtime is where the carbs mainly are eaten.

The primary reason for doing this is that I haven't been able to have a proper energy level during workouts on the VLC diet, even after being in ketosis for close to a year, and relatively low carb for 3-4 years before that. I've been able to do low intensity stuff for huge amounts of time, however I don't find activities like that all that exciting after a while.

So, I'll see how this little alteration is going to work out, and report back after a while.

Pashalis said:
have to share that here !:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op8MrUKH82A&feature=g-all-lik

just hilarious ! my new favourite song :D

I'm curious is this a forum member ?

This is a seriously funny video.

The info about Vitamin B3 and its relation to nicotine is rather fascinating. I've got some downstairs so I think I'll try taking it for awhile.

Just a note of caution: I tried 1 capsule of niacinimide (500mg), and while the flush was minimal, I was so dizzy every time I turned my head, it forced me to cancel physical therapy (couldn't walk to the truck), and stay in bed all day today. :shock: :( This was not an extended release capsule, and I doubt I can take this again, very scary. Worse than some meds I've been on.

If you're going to try this with any auto immune issue, start with a small dose.

Gimpy said:

Just a note of caution: I tried 1 capsule of niacinimide (500mg), and while the flush was minimal, I was so dizzy every time I turned my head, it forced me to cancel physical therapy (couldn't walk to the truck), and stay in bed all day today. :shock: :( This was not an extended release capsule, and I doubt I can take this again, very scary. Worse than some meds I've been on.

If you're going to try this with any auto immune issue, start with a small dose.

Most definitely Gimpy! I think Klenner (or Hoffer) recommended starting with 100 mg and working up from there to several times a day. Tolerance increases rapidly - at least based on my experience so far. Hope you are recovering and back up! :flowers:

Better this morning. :flowers: Talked with Hubby, and he's installing a Kindle reader for me, so I can pick up an e-book on Niacin right away.

For the record? I could see and feel an immediate difference for the better, then in another five minutes, the dizziness hit me. :huh: I take liquid B-complex every day, with extra dissolving B-12, and liquid D-3 at meals. It might have been too much at once, as the other supplements that I take for adrenal fatigue all contain small amounts of B3 and B6.

A case of enthusiasm overcoming common sense. :rolleyes: :-[

LQB said:
Gimpy said:

Most definitely Gimpy! I think Klenner (or Hoffer) recommended starting with 100 mg and working up from there to several times a day. Tolerance increases rapidly - at least based on my experience so far. Hope you are recovering and back up! :flowers:

Gimpy said:
Better this morning. :flowers: Talked with Hubby, and he's installing a Kindle reader for me, so I can pick up an e-book on Niacin right away.

For the record? I could see and feel an immediate difference for the better, then in another five minutes, the dizziness hit me. :huh: I take liquid B-complex every day, with extra dissolving B-12, and liquid D-3 at meals. It might have been too much at once, as the other supplements that I take for adrenal fatigue all contain small amounts of B3 and B6.

A case of enthusiasm overcoming common sense. :rolleyes: :-[

Good deal Gimpy. I'm going to look into adding thiamin to the mix and maybe others that Klenner mentioned. I have some residual neuropathy from years (past) of nightly bourbon consumption that I would love to get rid of ... :)

Back
Top Bottom