"Life Without Bread"

Megan said:
Dr. Cate (Deep Nutrition) recently posted a video about feeling fatigue soon after switching to low-carb. She has suggestions about what may cause it and what to do.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRqTaHHMd18&feature=player_detailpage

Very interesting. Again, the suggestion about taking it slow comes to the fore. She suggests that when you transition to low carb eating, do it one meal at a time and do that for a couple of weeks, and then the next meal, and so on.

So, that would be eating a low carb breakfast for a couple of weeks, then adding eating a low carb lunch for a couple more weeks, and then adding a low carb dinner. This gives your body time to start making the right enzymes for digesting proteins and fats in larger ratios to carbs. It also helps prevent your body from thinking that it is now winter time and having your thyroid go wonky.

She also mentions the fact that we have discussed a number of times: each individual is different and some need a few more or somewhat less, carbs than others. Each person has to find the right combination.

By doing a bit of calculating, it seems that I get about 70 grams of carbs per day at present. (Mainly in my cashews). I feel fine at this level, but I'm going to experiment with reducing it gradually. Maybe I've been here long enough that I can go lower.

I noticed an article in todays newspaper that talks about a recent study were they found many benefits of nicotinamide ribose. They isolated the substance from milk, and as we know milk is 'evil', but besides that the study was quite interesting. The study was published in Cell Metabolism, Volume 15, Issue 6, 838-847, 6 June 2012. Here's a summary from Huffington post:

_http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06/07/health-milk-ingredient-prevents-obesity-diet_n_1576893.html
Milk Ingredient Nicotinamide Riboside ‘Helps Prevent Obesity' And Burns Fat

A natural ingredient found in milk could help tackle obesity, as it prevents weight gain by burning fat in the body - even in those who enjoy a high-fat diet, scientists have discovered.

Researchers from the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne found that the nicotinamide riboside (NR) ingredient found naturally in milk stimulates the SIRT1 gene (similar to a vitamin B compound), which helps boost the metabolism. Interestingly, the research focused on the weight-loss benefits of NR when combined with high-fat food consumption.

The study, which has so far only been tested on lab mice, discovered that rodents who were given high doses of NR along with high-fat foods, burnt more fat and showed (through better running performance) greater physical fitness levels and endurance to their muscles.

Mice who were fed a high-fat diet and NR for 10-weeks gained significantly less weight (60% less) than mice who ate the same diet without the NR supplement.

Mice on NR also had better endurance performance during physical tests than those who didn’t receive NR and were generally in better shape after scientists monitored their muscle fibers under the microscope.

Scientists discovered that the natural NR product targets the metabolism-boosting SIRT1 gene in the same way as resveratrol (commonly found in red wine).

The compound works by getting ‘trapped’ within the cells of the body and enhances the activity of the mitochondria (the powerhouse of cells) shielding mice from metabolic dysfunction - a condition that leads to weight-gain and diabetes.

However, researchers warned that drinking milk will not target obesity alone and that the NR compound will have to be placed into a supplement for human consumption.

Researchers are also planning to investigate a co-factor of SIRT1 – the NAD+ - which they believe could have a similar effect on the metabolism and weight-loss.

“We’re hoping this can be translated into humans, and that (NR) will improve metabolism in humans,” said Johan Auwerz, reports Science Direct.

The original article can be found here: _http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131%2812%2900192-1

That IS interesting, Aragorn. The thing is, with humans, for the vast majority, transitioning to this diet and going into ketosis, burns body fat and also eliminates metabolic dysfunction/derangement (and the other benefits mentioned) without the nicotinamide riboside.

nicklebleu said:
I have tried to find out more on the relationship between nicotinic acid (niacin) and nicotine.
The following can be noted:

Thanks for the research nickelbleu. Looking at some websites about nicotine metabolism, they seem to indicate that nicotine gets converted into something called cotinine once the body is done with it, and excreted out in the urine. Although it probably does not mean that there couldn't be other ways nicotine is used by the body.

_http://humancyc.org/HUMAN/new-image?type=PATHWAY&object=PWY66-221

Aragorn said:
I noticed an article in todays newspaper that talks about a recent study were they found many benefits of nicotinamide ribose. They isolated the substance from milk, and as we know milk is 'evil', but besides that the study was quite interesting. The study was published in Cell Metabolism, Volume 15, Issue 6, 838-847, 6 June 2012.
Researchers from the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne found that the nicotinamide riboside (NR) ingredient found naturally in milk stimulates the SIRT1 gene (similar to a vitamin B compound), which helps boost the metabolism. Interestingly, the research focused on the weight-loss benefits of NR when combined with high-fat food consumption.

The study, which has so far only been tested on lab mice, discovered that rodents who were given high doses of NR along with high-fat foods, burnt more fat and showed (through better running performance) greater physical fitness levels and endurance to their muscles.

... the NR compound will have to be placed into a supplement for human consumption.

I did a little searching around. Seems to me that one can get the effect via taking the nicotinamide along with D-Ribose.

D-Ribose can be bought in bulk from nutrabulk.com - they accept paypal and will ship internationally.

That was indeed fascinating Aragorn, it would probably help with the transition to fat metabolism.

Regarding the activation of self repair through the creation of a starvation condition at least as perceived by the body. 2 years ago, I was doing a program at college called STEM an acronym for Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics, everyday at lunch time a scientist would come and talk to us about what they were researching, how they got there, etc. A neuroscientist from NIH came one day, and he was talking about treatment for Alzheimer's through stem cells and the ban on using embryonic stem cells during the bush administration which was needed to continue the research so they had to find a way to induce pluripotency:

_http://www.explorestemcells.co.uk/PluripotentStemCells.html said:
Pluripotent stem cells are often termed 'true' stem cells because they have the potential to differentiate into almost any cell in the body. This means that under the right circumstances, a stem cell that is isolated from an embryo can produce almost all of the cells in the body. Yet after this embryonic development stage is over, the stem cells no longer have this unlimited potential to develop into all cell types. Their pluripotency is thus lost and they can only become certain types of cells.

The way he said it was done, was by starvation of the cell. I am digging around for the paper (should have asked him :headbash:) but I found this:

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3329488/ said:
Human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) provide a valuable model for regenerative medicine and human disease research. To date, however, the reprogramming efficiency of human adult cells is still low. Recent studies have revealed that cell cycle is a key parameter driving epigenetic reprogramming to pluripotency. [...] Our study, utilization of serum starvation rather than additional chemicals, provide a new insight into cell cycle regulation and induced reprogramming of human cells.

Ectopic expression of reprogramming factors can drive human somatic cells to return to embryonic stem cells (ESCs) like state [1], [2], this synthetic population are termed induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). Human iPSCs display the features of self-renewal and the potential to differentiate into three germ layers, which holds great promise for regenerative medicine and human disease research [3].

To date, however, reprogramming of human adult cells is still challenging and inefficient. A number of studies have identified small molecules that can enhance reprogramming, such as the DNA methyltransferase inhibitor AZA [4], histone deacetylase inhibitor valproic acid [5], ALK5 inhibitor SB431542, MEK inhibitor PD0325901 [6], antioxidant vitamin C [7], etc. Other strategies include activation of the Wnt signaling pathway by Wnt3a [8] and inhibition of the p53/p21 pathway [9]. These findings suggested that multiple signaling pathways are involved in reprogramming.

Activation of endogenous pluripotency-related genes and epigenetic changes are significant markers of successful reprogramming [10]. To achieve these standards, consistent expression of the reprogramming factors is essential.

Still digging, but using viruses to reprogram the cell is very interesting given the info about the large percentage of our genome being of viral origin.

This is off the topic that is being discussed at the present time, but I wanted to add something I have noticed since switching to a low carb diet. I have been eating low carb for quite awhile now, and I try to eat very good sources of food. Once in awhile I have slipped up and have eaten something that was prepackaged. What I have noticed, on three occasions now, when I have eaten something that came from a package, to me it tastes like mold. Let me explain. The other day my boyfriend bought some gluten free beef jerky, and I had a piece because we were out and about and I was starving, and to me it has an ever so faint taste of mold. This has also happend a couple of times when I have bought some cashews from the grocery store. Other people in my family can't seem to taste it, and they aren't low carb or gluten free. I am also wondering if the general public is constantly eating food that is "bad", in more ways than one, and can't even taste it.

This is just my observation. I could be wrong. But my sense of taste seems to be so much better than it used to be.

Well, if it's any consolation, I smell mold a lot more than I used to, and it seems to repulse me more than before as well. However, what else was in the jerky? I've noticed most brands contain a plethora of toxins, including MSG.

Gonzo

Finally i have kicked gluten and dairy.
I didnt take Laura's advice earlier on in thread. I was reluctant to let go of being a vegatarian.
3 days ago i started eating meat, ive missed it, and i can tell my body has too. (2 years being a vegetarian)
The urges to binge eat carbs have gone.
Im sat here eating sliced cooked ham.
:)

Angela said:
This is off the topic that is being discussed at the present time, but I wanted to add something I have noticed since switching to a low carb diet. I have been eating low carb for quite awhile now, and I try to eat very good sources of food. Once in awhile I have slipped up and have eaten something that was prepackaged. What I have noticed, on three occasions now, when I have eaten something that came from a package, to me it tastes like mold. Let me explain. The other day my boyfriend bought some gluten free beef jerky, and I had a piece because we were out and about and I was starving, and to me it has an ever so faint taste of mold. This has also happend a couple of times when I have bought some cashews from the grocery store. Other people in my family can't seem to taste it, and they aren't low carb or gluten free. I am also wondering if the general public is constantly eating food that is "bad", in more ways than one, and can't even taste it.

This is just my observation. I could be wrong. But my sense of taste seems to be so much better than it used to be.

I've definitely noticed that mold taste before. Specifically in cashews, like you mention. Not surprisingly, those cashews made me quite ill.

melatonin said:
Finally i have kicked gluten and dairy.
I didnt take Laura's advice earlier on in thread. I was reluctant to let go of being a vegatarian.
3 days ago i started eating meat, ive missed it, and i can tell my body has too. (2 years being a vegetarian)
The urges to binge eat carbs have gone.
Im sat here eating sliced cooked ham.
:)

Congratulations melatonin! :)

Have you read Primal Body Primal Mind yet?

Get a load of this:

_http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47715904/ns/local_news-wichita_ks/t/bill-oreilly-credits-no-wheat-diet-his-weight-loss/

It's fascinating to watch "damage control" at work.

WICHITA, Kansas — Well into harvest, combines across Kansas are cutting wheat, and so did Bill O'Reilly, right out of his diet.
"Since then, my cholesterol has dropped, my allergies have left, my waist size is down two inches, just for giving up wheat," said O'Reilly...

..."There would be a lot of farmers out of business, if that happened," said farmer Scott Van Allen...

...Watching O'Reilly video, Van Allen couldn't disagree more with him.
"To blanketly say that wheat is the cause of obesity, is just preposterous," said Van Allen...

..."There is no scientific evidence to back up that gluten is toxic to anyone who does not have celiac disease, which only affects about 1 percent of the population..."

..."What Bill has done is just cut out a huge potential source of calories from his diet by restricting himself, he has managed to lose some weight..."

Megan said:
Get a load of this:

_http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47715904/ns/local_news-wichita_ks/t/bill-oreilly-credits-no-wheat-diet-his-weight-loss/

It's fascinating to watch "damage control" at work.

WICHITA, Kansas — Well into harvest, combines across Kansas are cutting wheat, and so did Bill O'Reilly, right out of his diet.
"Since then, my cholesterol has dropped, my allergies have left, my waist size is down two inches, just for giving up wheat," said O'Reilly...

..."There would be a lot of farmers out of business, if that happened," said farmer Scott Van Allen...

...Watching O'Reilly video, Van Allen couldn't disagree more with him.
"To blanketly say that wheat is the cause of obesity, is just preposterous," said Van Allen...

..."There is no scientific evidence to back up that gluten is toxic to anyone who does not have celiac disease, which only affects about 1 percent of the population..."

..."What Bill has done is just cut out a huge potential source of calories from his diet by restricting himself, he has managed to lose some weight..."

:lol: Wow! That's the new craziest thing I've heard lately! One of the master propagandists has gone off wheat?? Is this going to be some kind of turning point for a person who, up to this point, has seemed to me like utter filth without possible redemption? Not that I think any better of him yet, but it's a very strange occurrence.

Damage control certainly spun into action though--they certainly don't want people putting the bread down!

Back
Top Bottom