"Life Without Bread"

Foxx said:
LQB said:
That's what I did - get the meter first, then the filters if you need them. The meter runs about $150 and measures the noise spectrum in 1-140KHz (where most of the noise is). Due to the cost, cost-sharing with friends and family is the way to go. You want to test all sockets (115V). I was amazed to find some really high values - some off-scale (>2000) :scared:

Are the filters for a whole house or for individual sockets? I'm imagining that they must hook in somewhere for the whole house, possibly in the circuit breaker box.

The filters are for individual sockets. I looked into a whole house version and there are a lot of con artists out there ready to take your money. If you really wanted to go that route you would want to install it grid-side at the transformer, get the power co involved, and pay thousands for the filter. David Stetzer designed and builds the socket unit, meter, and power strip (great for all that noisy computer stuff) that has 2 filters built in.
His site is http://www.stetzerelectric.com/store/stetzerizer-filter/ but you can get the stuff cheaper if you look around (like http://www.blockemf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4866&gclid=CIec16iS8rACFc2A7QodCXhuwA). The Stetzer folks will match the price if you ask. I think these are sold in the UK as well.

The way you do this is to hit the worst sockets first with a filter and move on. The goal is to get down to 30 GS units (2000 is max scale). What determines a "bad" socket depends on your wiring geometry/impedance at the noise frequencies. No way to predict - just measure. Then check periodically (as the noise can change) and tweek if necessary.

Regarding hunger on the paleo diet. I have noticed that yeah, there is no hunger the way I used to get it when I was a carbovorre, but what happens is that my body literally slows down and almost grinds to a halt. I move like a snail, but there is still no hunger. I have learned that whenever this happens is when I need to fill the gas tank again, and the effect is quite immediate, the image I get when I think about it is that a pilot is looking at the fuel gauge before taking off and the indicator points at full. So all's a go.

Has anyone else noted this effect?

bngenoh said:
Regarding hunger on the paleo diet. I have noticed that yeah, there is no hunger the way I used to get it when I was a carbovorre, but what happens is that my body literally slows down and almost grinds to a halt. I move like a snail, but there is still no hunger. I have learned that whenever this happens is when I need to fill the gas tank again, and the effect is quite immediate, the image I get when I think about it is that a pilot is looking at the fuel gauge before taking off and the indicator points at full. So all's a go.

I still feel hunger when I need to eat, but the hunger is different. It's not the gnawing, constant, all body, all mind hunger I used to get before I gave up grains and then greatly reduced carbs.

However, I still occasionaly get this feeling like my legs weigh 10 times more than usual and it takes great effort to get up and walk anywhere. After a few steps, I would feel exhausted. And this happens regardless of when I've eaten. So, I'm not sure if it's the same thing you're describing, but I haven't been able to figure out the cause or determine any pattern yet. I'm starting to exercise more, so it will be interesting to see if it has any effect.

Gonzo

bngenoh said:

Oh yes, that's part of being a meat eater I think. Fortunately we come with built in audible alarms. Your stomach should make a kinda grinding noise when it's ready for more? Mine does, and it's just like the alarm clock, gets louder and louder the longer I ignore it.

Guardian said:
bngenoh said:

Oh yes, that's part of being a meat eater I think. Fortunately we come with built in audible alarms. Your stomach should make a kinda grinding noise when it's ready for more? Mine does, and it's just like the alarm clock, gets louder and louder the longer I ignore it.

well what I noticed is that this grinding noise does not appear anymore when I'm amost at zero carbs even when I'm very hungry. but as soon as I introduce more carbs into the diet, or eat something I should not, the grinding noise starts again when I'm hungry.

I'm not even sure if the grinding noise has actually anything to do with hunger ? maybe it has something to do with carb eating?

bngenoh said:

I've noticed this effect of 'slowing down' as I transition into ketosis, and getting into 'second wind' takes longer, and then it's fine after being in ketosis for a while.. There is a similar effect going out of ketosis (from overdoing the carbs/protein levels) and back into carb burning. Similarly it lasts for a while before normalizing. The problem comes if you periodically overdo the protein/carbs and switch back and forth between carb burnng and fat burning, when it almost feels as if you are continually in this state of your body 'literally slows down and almost grinds to a halt'.

Hello all....wanted to report on using regular niacin.

It has been making a difference as far as lessening fatigue, which is the reason I don't want to stop taking it.

I've been taking 500 mg regular caps, once a day, for a week, and this morning am experiencing a 'flush' that's a bit extreme.

Up to this point, I have not flushed at all, and I do take niacin after a meal. This morning all I had was bacon, and I'm wondering if it wasn't enough.

Right now, I'm beet red head to heels, as if sunburned. Its slowly going away, and its not pleasant. I don't think it means I should stop taking it, as much as it means I need to eat more beforehand, and reduce the dose. :shock:

Gimpy said:
Hello all....wanted to report on using regular niacin.

It has been making a difference as far as lessening fatigue, which is the reason I don't want to stop taking it.

I've been taking 500 mg regular caps, once a day, for a week, and this morning am experiencing a 'flush' that's a bit extreme.

Up to this point, I have not flushed at all, and I do take niacin after a meal. This morning all I had was bacon, and I'm wondering if it wasn't enough.

Right now, I'm beet red head to heels, as if sunburned. Its slowly going away, and its not pleasant. I don't think it means I should stop taking it, as much as it means I need to eat more beforehand, and reduce the dose. :shock:

I'm taking it too, along with about half a tsp of D-ribose in some tea. It really does seem to be helping. I had a significant - and uncomfortable - flush when I took it without eating first and won't be doing that again. Now I eat plenty of bacon and a sausage patty before. I've also found that if I get really tired feeling in the afternoon, another dose is just the thing.

I've also found that if I get really tired feeling in the afternoon, another dose is just the thing.

Same here. Its nice not to reach for tea or be tempted by coffee. :flowers:

I've found 250 mg before bedtime actually helps me sleep, though I'm not sure why. The book on Niacin does mention that it can help with sleep, but never mentions the dosage.

I don't think I'd be tolerating the heat wave here without niacin.

LQB said:
The filters are for individual sockets. I looked into a whole house version and there are a lot of con artists out there ready to take your money. If you really wanted to go that route you would want to install it grid-side at the transformer, get the power co involved, and pay thousands for the filter. David Stetzer designed and builds the socket unit, meter, and power strip (great for all that noisy computer stuff) that has 2 filters built in.
His site is http://www.stetzerelectric.com/store/stetzerizer-filter/ but you can get the stuff cheaper if you look around (like http://www.blockemf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4866&gclid=CIec16iS8rACFc2A7QodCXhuwA). The Stetzer folks will match the price if you ask. I think these are sold in the UK as well.

The way you do this is to hit the worst sockets first with a filter and move on. The goal is to get down to 30 GS units (2000 is max scale). What determines a "bad" socket depends on your wiring geometry/impedance at the noise frequencies. No way to predict - just measure. Then check periodically (as the noise can change) and tweek if necessary.

Thanks LQB!

Prodigal Son said:
bngenoh said:

I've noticed this effect of 'slowing down' as I transition into ketosis, and getting into 'second wind' takes longer, and then it's fine after being in ketosis for a while.. There is a similar effect going out of ketosis (from overdoing the carbs/protein levels) and back into carb burning. Similarly it lasts for a while before normalizing. The problem comes if you periodically overdo the protein/carbs and switch back and forth between carb burnng and fat burning, when it almost feels as if you are continually in this state of your body 'literally slows down and almost grinds to a halt'.

I have a similar experience when I don't eat for too long but in my case, it stems from being weak. When I should 'Fill the gas tank' I just get weak. And that affects my velocity.

There's one thing I've been thinking about asking, when I'm at work I only eat once a day, at lunch and was wondering if I should be doing that or not? I work from 11 am to 10 pm. And I just don't feel like eating in the first half of the day ever, so I never have breakfast. Then lunch at 3, maybe a nap and I unless I stay up late, I don't really feel hungry. Also, when I'm off work, I tend to have two meals. Lunch and dinner. Should I be doing that?

And the weakness, I only get that weak when I don't take lunch with me and don't want to risk getting anything in the neighborhood. It happened twice. Now if it happens, I just get some roast chicken, because I can't go through the day without eating, which I used to be able to do but that was years ago while still on a carb-based diet. :halo:

Nuke said:
Prodigal Son said:
bngenoh said:

I have a similar experience when I don't eat for too long but in my case, it stems from being weak. When I should 'Fill the gas tank' I just get weak. And that affects my velocity.

There's one thing I've been thinking about asking, when I'm at work I only eat once a day, at lunch and was wondering if I should be doing that or not? I work from 11 am to 10 pm. And I just don't feel like eating in the first half of the day ever, so I never have breakfast. Then lunch at 3, maybe a nap and I unless I stay up late, I don't really feel hungry. Also, when I'm off work, I tend to have two meals. Lunch and dinner. Should I be doing that?

And the weakness, I only get that weak when I don't take lunch with me and don't want to risk getting anything in the neighborhood. It happened twice. Now if it happens, I just get some roast chicken, because I can't go through the day without eating, which I used to be able to do but that was years ago while still on a carb-based diet. :halo:

If you're not hungry when you wake up, something is wrong. It's usually an issue with adrenal fatigue. Ideally, your largest meal should be breakfast, then a smaller lunch and a very small dinner. Anything else messes up too many body processes to count. So - if I were you I'd start forcing myself to eat a high fat, salty breakfast every day when you first get up and go from there. fwiw.

Prodigal Son said:
bngenoh said:

I tend to agree with Prodigal Son.

However, having said that, I also find that the more I read the more complex things become. There are so many factors at play, and such an infinitude of interrelations between those factors that sometimes tracking something can be a rather daunting task.

Sorry if I missed it bngenoh, but how long have you been on this diet?

I also experienced the tiredness and my legs felt as if weighting a ton when I first began transitioning into Ketosis. This lasted for months, if I remember correctly. I made several mistakes at the time, one of which was also over consumption of protein. The problem with that is not only its conversion to glucose when eating too much of it, but how it can affect other internal processes. I remember reading how it can negatively affect the kidneys, as an example.
For me it really helped at a certain point to actually weight everything single thing I ate, and calculate carb and protein level. Yes, it can be very discouraging as sometimes you just want to grab something and eat it, but I found it very much worth it nevertheless. Once I began to calculate carbs and my protein levels to no more the 1.2 times my body weight, my energy normalized and increased in an incredible way.

Another thing you may want to look at are the cold showers. You were also going through the thermogenesis protocol, weren't you bngenoh? I have found that going too fast was causing fatigue and dizziness with me. After I slowed down I regained back my energy. I'm only doing cold showers and overall wearing less clothing, no ice packs for me. I seem to be progressing gradually, steadily, and my sensitivity to cold is decreasing (hooray!), with no negative side effects.

There may be other things at play, as I mentioned there are so many factors involved that we really have to keep our ears and eyes opened for all and any other symptoms and pieces of data.

Uhm I am not to sure about the duration of the paleo diet, more than 6 months, the cold showers I take every other day, because it really uses up a lot of energy & stamina. I don't have a scale so I just go for too much fat while cooking meat and eat till I am satiated. I make sure to eat/drink the fat before I start with the meat as the fat fills me up so I don't over do on the protein.

But yeah I agree, there are so many factors at play.

I was eating an almond cookie today and I hiccupped a few times. This made me think of how incredibly long it's been since I had the hiccups. I almost forgot about them. I did a quick search and there seems to be a link between starchy things and hiccups.

Since going paleo, have you guys noticed any hiccups?

Back
Top Bottom