"Life Without Bread"

Laura said:
(Psyche has taken a job in a Spanish hospital and will no longer be available to do research for us, so other medically/scientifically trained peeps here are gonna need to step up to the plate on this.)

[quote author=Aragorn]
Any word on how Psyche is doing? I miss her input on the forum. I'm sure that with her knowledge and skills she'll help many people wherever she is, but still, things feel a little bit empty without her - especially on the diet and health section. :(
[/quote]

Can only imagine the intensity of ER work. Think the patients are some of the luckiest to have someone treating them from the "head of the class". We have been very fortunate to have had Psyche's knowledge and passion for digging away at issues and indeed miss her input, too.

Just wanted to add that from what is seen from members on issues of "medically/scientifically" associated research; stepping up to the plate as Laura mentioned. It sure seems that there is some great help here on the forum trying to suss things out, pinch hitting for Psyche, and as such, thanks for your efforts on all these matters, it sure helps. :)

I am not doing well with the diet, but it is a multifactorial problem so I don't know if talk about that here or in a separate thread

Galaxia2002 said:
I am not doing well with the diet, but it is a multifactorial problem so I don't know if talk about that here or in a separate thread

Is it because of things going on in your life at the moment? If that's so, you could make a post in the swamp section of the forum. If it is health and diet related mostly, you can post here.

Alana said:
Galaxia2002 said:

Is it because of things going on in your life at the moment? If that's so, you could make a post in the swamp section of the forum. If it is health and diet related mostly, you can post here.

Thank you, let me update myself a bit in this thread and will put my case here.

3D Student said:
I've still been eating sardines most days of the week for a light dinner. They come from either Canada or Poland.

But the recent mentions of the toxic Atlantic have me thinking of some lobster I had a few weeks ago. It was three meals of about three tails each. I had a little inflammatory sensitivity on the second and third. I thought it could have been the lots of butter I used as well.

But these look like Maine lobster, with the mostly brown color and the patches of orange. There is also spiny lobster, which comes from the Florida and Gulf of Mexico region! Though perhaps at this point, it doesn't matter where in the Atlantic it comes from.

Speaking of Lobster, the pasteurization folks have zeroed in on this bottom dweller, with the initial testing not to peoples liking (they know what's real and not). The premise being that shelf life would go from 72 hours to 72 days - might as well be formaldehyde :shock:

CBC said:
The P.E.I. government is interested in a new process developed in Ireland that pasteurizes whole, cooked lobster. The process extends the shelf life of a whole cooked lobster from 72 hours to 32 days.

[...] "All in all, I think it's a product that's got a lot of potential," he said.

_http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2012/07/09/pei-pasteurized-lobster-584.html

Want to report on the daily niacin and D-ribose. It certainly does seem to have a very positive effect. Not only is my energy up, but I seem to have moved past the weight plateau where I was stuck for months and months. Should add that I also take D3, K2, zinc and omega 3s every day though only in basic amounts. My appetite has greatly reduced and I'm eating less, too.

Laura said:
Want to report on the daily niacin and D-ribose. It certainly does seem to have a very positive effect. Not only is my energy up, but I seem to have moved past the weight plateau where I was stuck for months and months. Should add that I also take D3, K2, zinc and omega 3s every day though only in basic amounts. My appetite has greatly reduced and I'm eating less, too.

Did you find K2 that wasn't sourced from soy? I think everything in a reasonable price range that I've seen so far was sourced from soy (or, specifically, natto--a bacteria that ferments soy).

Laura said:

Thanks for information regarding the carbs Laura.

I used to take D-ribose with berries every day, then I stopped with the D-ribose for no particular reason and have recently cut the berries by half (used to eat them every day) to reduce my fructose intake. Looks like I'll be going back with D-ribose.

Eboard10 said:
I used to take D-ribose with berries every day, then I stopped with the D-ribose for no particular reason and have recently cut the berries by half (used to eat them every day) to reduce my fructose intake. Looks like I'll be going back with D-ribose.

Shoulda ditched the berries to begin with except for very occasionally.

Half teaspoon of D-ribose in a cup of tea twice a day is what I'm doing.

Laura said:
Shoulda ditched the berries to begin with except for very occasionally.

Half teaspoon of D-ribose in a cup of tea twice a day is what I'm doing.

Yes, that was my feeling as well. In that case, I'll speed up the process of removing fructose starting today.

Quote from Laura:Today at 11:19:20 AM

"Want to report on the daily niacin and D-ribose. It certainly does seem to have a very positive effect. Not only is my energy up, but I seem to have moved past the weight plateau where I was stuck for months and months. Should add that I also take D3, K2, zinc and omega 3s every day though only in basic amounts. My appetite has greatly reduced and I'm eating less, too."

Hi, Laura, I'm glad you are energizing. I wish your son Atreides continue in recovering.

About EMF:

I think a conductive metal ring can short out magnetic flux that passes through it. Copper strip is wrapped around many transformers to short out leakage flux that can cause eddy currents inside the metal which waste energy heating it up.

So say for instance those metal rings worn around people's heads in fairytales. Going by transformer math, coils with fewer turns will output greater current, so a single ring may need to be very conductive, or it won't totally short the flux. However if you make say 5 turns, the resistance requirement is relaxed by 5 times for the same amount of flux shorting. However if you use 5 times smaller wire to do this, the wire's self-resistance cancels out the gain you make. Perhaps RF reception coils already exist tuned with just the right properties.

Another thing could be skin effect. At high frequencies, current flows at the outer edge of the conductor as through forced to the edges by centripetal force. For this reason in radio transmitters, high-power inductors are often made with copper tubing because none of the current runs through the center anyways. Because the current is confined to the edges, it experiences greater resistance. Silver plating is used on some types of wire to give better conductivity at RF. Silver plated wrapping wire is one example. Another thing that has been done is to use stranded, individually insulated copper wires instead of a single large one; the broken up conductor suffers less from skin effect. A flat wire, band, tape, or whatnot also experiences less skin effect; the wider and thinner the better.

At higher frequencies, the ring may become less effective because of wavelength effects. On metal electronic shields, vent holes will allow through wavelengths smaller than their diameters. 1GHz has a wavelength of about 1 foot according to an online calculator. This suggests to me an ordinary conductive band around the head may be effective to a little over 1GHz. The circumference of a 1 foot ring is about 3.14 feet, which should be about 300MHz, so it may resonate at this frequency and it's overtones, 600/900/1200 etc. Specially chosen ferrite beads may be placed on the ring that could damp resonance at the problem frequencies; but possibly reduce the intended effect at other frequencies.

If a ring were designed to have the same harmonic attributes as an available crystal, perhaps the crystal could be used with the ring in such a way as to eliminate these effects (however crystals can be overdriven - the number of turns in the ring could perhaps be chosen to best suit the crystal). I do wonder if ancient societies have used all these ideas in the past.

Perhaps nice looking necklaces/chokers/headresses could be made fitting this requirements, using gold or silver plated copper wire. OHFC copper is more conductive and may or may not be worth using. Multicolor enameled copper wire could be twisted or braided and this would allow some creative freedom as well as reduction of skin effect. A flat braid would probably work well, and would also help with uninsulated wire, if there is some problem with the insulation chemicals (many insulations are available, teflon, kynar, "enamel"). One wire from the braid could be broken and fed to a sensor that can give a direct reading on how much EMF is going through your skull at the moment!

Curious thought - what happens if you wear a copper headband in an MRI!?

I have a question. I have an extremely fast metabolism, rarely become ill, and can eat as much or as little as i choose without my weight fluctuating more than a couple pounds either way. I recently cut out all wheat/gluten foods (actually no bread to speak of for 4 days) and have switched to a high fat/low carb diet. I am under 60g of carbs each day, with a few days as low as 30g, and have no adverse side effects yet. My question is this- how extreme should I go in eliminating carbs given I have no health or illness issues?

I do not eat breakfast at all, and I eat lunch only about 50% of the time. Dinner is the only regular meal I have, but I do not overeat. Every few months, I fast for a week, but doing so does not result in weight loss beyond 2-3 pounds. For years, I have eaten when I am hungry, not just because the clock shows a certain time. I am not anorexic or underweight for my bone structure and height. Is it possible due to my skipping meals regularly that from time to time my body goes into ketosis anyway? From what I have read here, that seems to be the case, which would mean I am flip-flopping back and forth between energy generating modes. Is this healthy to do?

I have always tried to judge by my body's reactions as to when to eat, and how much. I know two things that accelerate my metabolism are smoking and the spicy foods I eat, both of which I have been doing for a long time. I can eat the same thing everyday for months on end without getting tired of it, and simply look at food now as a necessary component for survival- nothing more, nothing less. Of course I miss some things from time to time, but I am not going to eat them just to satisfy some momentary urge I have.

Any comments to the above food strategy are appreciated and will be read thoroughly. Thanks!

Hi QuantumLogic,

Most of what you write about yourself, I could have written about myself 3 years ago. I didn't worry about my weight and I certainly considered myself quite healthy at the time so I didn't care much about health and diet topics. Boy, it turned out I didn't know what being healthy actually means until I have followed the diet discussed in this thread. So don't let your perception of being healthy prevent you from finding all you can about health and diet.

A few specific comments about what you wrote: First, I would wait for some time (at least 1-2 months) after cutting out gluten completely before starting a low-carb diet. That is necessary for the gut to heal the damages caused by gluten. And note that gluten is present in most processed food. So just cutting out bread may not remove all gluten from your diet.

Second, it is very important not to skip breakfast. In fact, it's best to have a big breakfast and a small dinner, the opposite of what you are doing now. Eating big meals early in the day allows your body to digest them properly. It also re-trains your body's rhythms.

Above are just a few points I noted. It's however essential that you read up on the recommended materials to understand all the fine details before embarking on a diet change.

QuantumLogic said:
I have a question. I have an extremely fast metabolism, rarely become ill, and can eat as much or as little as i choose without my weight fluctuating more than a couple pounds either way. I recently cut out all wheat/gluten foods (actually no bread to speak of for 4 days) and have switched to a high fat/low carb diet. I am under 60g of carbs each day, with a few days as low as 30g, and have no adverse side effects yet. My question is this- how extreme should I go in eliminating carbs given I have no health or illness issues?

You should not go extreme at all. You should read "Life Without Bread" and "Primal Body, Primal Mind" and this thread.

QuantumLogic said:
I do not eat breakfast at all, and I eat lunch only about 50% of the time. Dinner is the only regular meal I have, but I do not overeat.

You should eat like a king in the morning, like a pauper in the evening.

QuantumLogic said:
Every few months, I fast for a week, but doing so does not result in weight loss beyond 2-3 pounds.

Except for particular medical situations, I can't see any reason to fast for a week.

QuantumLogic said:
For years, I have eaten when I am hungry, not just because the clock shows a certain time. I am not anorexic or underweight for my bone structure and height. Is it possible due to my skipping meals regularly that from time to time my body goes into ketosis anyway? From what I have read here, that seems to be the case, which would mean I am flip-flopping back and forth between energy generating modes. Is this healthy to do?

No, you are probably not in ketosis from just skipping meals. Read the above mentioned books and this thread.

QuantumLogic said:
I have always tried to judge by my body's reactions as to when to eat, and how much. I know two things that accelerate my metabolism are smoking and the spicy foods I eat, both of which I have been doing for a long time. I can eat the same thing everyday for months on end without getting tired of it, and simply look at food now as a necessary component for survival- nothing more, nothing less. Of course I miss some things from time to time, but I am not going to eat them just to satisfy some momentary urge I have.

Any comments to the above food strategy are appreciated and will be read thoroughly. Thanks!

Read the thread. You may save yourself a lot of problems.

Back
Top Bottom