"Life Without Bread"

Megan said:
Go for it, if you have the time. But I notice that most clinicians that have the practical experience coming in from their patients do not end up writing books, even though they have (of necessity) assembled their own materials. There is probably a practical reason for that.

I think it's a great idea to start compiling material for a book, dugdeep. Megan, I notice, again, that you seem to be rather stuck on a particular issue and pushing back rather hard against other people's ideas. Any idea why you might be doing that? It comes across, much as in the 'psychopaths rule the world page' thread, as a need to control on your part. The statement 'there is probably a practical reason for that' is purely subjective and discouraging with no real basis in fact. Just because someone hasn't done something yet doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done. If it did, this forum would not be here.

anart said:
Megan said:
Go for it, if you have the time. But I notice that most clinicians that have the practical experience coming in from their patients do not end up writing books, even though they have (of necessity) assembled their own materials. There is probably a practical reason for that.

I think it's a great idea to start compiling material for a book, dugdeep. Megan, I notice, again, that you seem to be rather stuck on a particular issue and pushing back rather hard against other people's ideas. Any idea why you might be doing that? It comes across, much as in the 'psychopaths rule the world page' thread, as a need to control on your part. The statement 'there is probably a practical reason for that' is purely subjective and discouraging with no real basis in fact. Just because someone hasn't done something yet doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done. If it did, this forum would not be here.

I will be brief, because I have other things I must start doing right right away. The idea of developing a book (or the equivalent thereof) is fine with me, and there is even a commercial market for such things. It is not something, however, that has happened in the last year. In the mean time I continue to see posts from people new to the forum or new to paleo diet that suggest to me that they might be engaging in restrictive diets without knowing much about what they are doing. I don't know if that is really what they are doing or not, but I put out the suggestion of using available resources to help people get started. If that idea is not of interest then I will not pursue it further.

I am neither for nor against developing original material, which could be tailored to the needs here. I don't think it is something I can help with at this time. It could be very useful if someone can do it.

Megan said:
[...] I put out the suggestion of using available resources to help people get started. If that idea is not of interest then I will not pursue it further.

I don't quite understand how you got the idea that there's no interest in this idea. I could be wrong, but It seems to me that you are having a bit of an emotional reaction, à la "all or nothing". I've reacted like this many times, so I'm just trying to help you out by telling what I see ;)

Aragorn said:
Megan said:
[...] I put out the suggestion of using available resources to help people get started. If that idea is not of interest then I will not pursue it further.

I don't quite understand how you got the idea that there's no interest in this idea. I could be wrong, but It seems to me that you are having a bit of an emotional reaction, à la "all or nothing". I've reacted like this many times, so I'm just trying to help you out by telling what I see ;)

Yes, Megan, you have a tendency to take things very personally when they are not at all personal. Why would you think that you personally were being asked to help with such a book? Why would you think that the development of such a book would necessarily preclude the ongoing development of instructions on this forum for people just starting out? Can you see how you are (again) engaging in black and white thinking? Regarding this:

megan said:
I will be brief, because I have other things I must start doing right right away.

You also tend to frequently be 'short of time' when these things have been pointed out to you in the past which appears to actually just be a deflection - a refusal to really stop and look at your own motivations and behavior. The only reason these things are being (and have been) pointed out to you is to help you see yourself, it's not an attack, judgment or insult. I would hope that you would understand that by now.

Megan said:
Oh dear. I am really hoping that doesn't happen to me. I gave up eggs for testing purposes with a lot of reluctance, and within a week I had a return of muscle and joint aches, as well as mild headaches, for some reason that I don't understand. I do NOT want to give up the nutrients in eggs!

I don't see why eggs are a must for a person to be healthy. I was pretty addictive on them too, and ate a lot of them. When I ditched them, started supplementing myself with glutamine and lactoferrin and decreased protein intake and increased fat intake, I didn't crave eggs anymore and actually noticed they were causing some kind of inflammation. Taking these steps also made me lose weight, and I started to feel better too.

Megan said:
Another thing I have just phased out, though, is L-glutamine. I have been taking it for a long time and probably don't need it any longer.

How much grams per day did you take it (if you don't mind me asking)? People usually notice nothing with small amounts. I only saw results when I took 2x 5grams per day. but obviously, if it doesn't work for you, you shouldn't take it.

Megan said:
So you might possibly want to test for glutamine sensitivity. I did that myself when I started taking it, but if I had had the above information then I might have done it more carefully.

Regarding the problems people were having with it, perhaps it could be because they were taking it too soon in the process, when the body is still catching its breath so to speak? Perhaps only after gluten and dairy (and highly sugary products) have been eliminated for some time, allowing the gut to have some rest and to kick-start its own healing system, should one start to supplement with glutamine or other specific gut healing supplements. This way it may support the gut's natural healing system better - if it has not been irreversibly impaired. Could be wrong here, though. As the answer the guy gave was a bit vague, I can't say too much about it. Only that it has done good for me. I might test for sensitivity at some point, so thank you for pointing it out.

Megan said:
I had a mild but persistent carb craving a few days ago, something that has been common for some reason since I stopped eating eggs several weeks ago, and in frustration I made myself a concoction of all-organic cocoa powder, coconut milk, and coconut oil, with a few drops of stevia for sweetener. It contained 7 grams of carbs, but it was delicious and it worked! No more carb cravings since. I never noticed a blood sugar rise (I'm sure there was some) and there was no subsequent crash. But I don't plan to repeat it too often.

Could it be that you're misunderstanding your carb craving for fat craving? Maybe next time when you get such a craving you can try some cracklings (they're so super delicious and fill easily). If you don't see a difference, and you still have a craving for carbs, then I suppose that addition of carbs is a good thing for you. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have some carbs, obviously, but I'm just putting a possibility out there.

Oxajil said:
Megan said:
Oh dear. I am really hoping that doesn't happen to me. I gave up eggs for testing purposes with a lot of reluctance, and within a week I had a return of muscle and joint aches, as well as mild headaches, for some reason that I don't understand. I do NOT want to give up the nutrients in eggs!

I don't see why eggs are a must for a person to be healthy.

A LOT of people have trouble with eggs. I can't eat them. There are many other places to get the nutrients found in eggs...

I can eat an egg about once a week without suffering. If I eat an egg two days in a row, I'm in "hurt city" for about two or three days. I LOVE eggs so, of course, I have them about once a week.

before I use to eat eggs once a month now I am having 2 eggs almost every day for breakfast. While before I wasn't so fond of them and would very rarely get a desire to eat an omelette or hard boiled eggs, it seems like since I went low carb my body started craving them.
So far haven't noticed any ill effect.

Herr Eisenheim said:
before I use to eat eggs once a month now I am having 2 eggs almost every day for breakfast. While before I wasn't so fond of them and would very rarely get a desire to eat an omelette or hard boiled eggs, it seems like since I went low carb my body started craving them.

So lucky! And I love them SOOO MUCH! Fried, scrambled, egg salad, chopped up on a green salad... plain with salt... oy, it's tragic!

In the recent past I used to eat a lot of eggs. For example 10 fried at once (usually 7 - my favorite number). I don't know what would be the effect right now. When I read about eggs right now I immediately want to eat some :P , but at first I don't have them at home, and secondly it is too late. I 'll try and see how my body react on eggs later. I think, at first, I will reduce the dose.

Herr Eisenheim said:

Same thing for me. And I have the luck to eat fresh organic eggs.

Aragorn said:
Megan said:

I didn't mean to say that there is no interest. I said "if" there is no interest. I meant it as an open question, to be determined, and that's all I meant.

I don't seem to be making a whole lot of sense today, and I have a full night of preparation tonight and a very full day tomorrow (work-related), so I am going to take a break from here at least until Sunday. Maybe that will help.

Gandalf said:
Herr Eisenheim said:

Same thing for me. And I have the luck to eat fresh organic eggs.

I don't have any problem with the eggs either.
Before I came to the forum and not knowing how important was the feeding, I didn't care about that but now I'm taking that I have a big garden so I'm going to make a chicken coop shortly :headbanger:

Laura said:
I can eat an egg about once a week without suffering. If I eat an egg two days in a row, I'm in "hurt city" for about two or three days. I LOVE eggs so, of course, I have them about once a week.
Laura said:
Herr Eisenheim said:
So lucky! And I love them SOOO MUCH! Fried, scrambled, egg salad, chopped up on a green salad... plain with salt... oy, it's tragic!

Given what's been known here about inflammation and food craving for a long time, it's not so surprising that eggs knock you out if you have one too many and that you "love" them. Most probably, you "love" them precisely because they are bad for you.

In my own case, eggs are nice to eat - at the moment - but after having eaten an egg (that's enough in my case) or more, I'll have somewhat less energy, and even less during a day or two of egg withdrawal (and increased desire for eggs). Then back to normal. So I never, ever eat eggs. No loss.

If you feel it would be a loss to avoid them completely, then I think something is wrong. You could try going "clean" - avoid eggs until you no longer care about them - and see if it has some at present unexpected benefit. Food is not about pleasure anyway. You've written as much yourself. Or, in short, given any uncertainty whatsoever, I think the best thing to do is to adhere as closely as possible to The List.

Prodigal Son said:
One easy way of eating pigs brains, and eyes for that matter, is to make brawn - simmering a pigs head (and trotters) for 4 1/2 hours, when at the end, the meat falls off the bones. The meat is then chopped finely and strained, a little of the 'simmering juice' added, and decanted into containers. The resultant brawn (sometimes called head cheese) is delicious and full of protein, nutrients, fat and gel, etc - all extremely healthy, and it goes a long way, meal-wise. In the UK you can pick up an organic pig's head for GBP4.00. Makes a great meal at tea-time. A complete meal in its own right.

I was talking to a Maori (Native New Zealander) today about pigs head brawn. She gave me a taste of beef brawn which was quite nice. She also said that they season it to taste and sometimes put vegetables in it. They generally slice it and eat it cold. They use gelatin in the recipe for their brawn. I checked the label for gelatin here and it is made from beef skin and has preservative 220 in it (sulfur dioxide).

Does the brawn that you make form a 'loaf' when chilled without gelatin?

Back
Top Bottom