"Life Without Bread"

Megan said:
We have been trying out a microbial drain cleaner called "Drainbo." You mix a half cup with a quart of warm water at night when you are getting ready for bed, let it stand for 15 minutes while the microorganisms "wake up," and then pour it down the drain where, hopefully, the little critters set about digesting all the fat you poured down the drain earlier.

We have had more trouble with our kitchen drain since going low-carb. I try to make sure the fat goes down me instead, but I don't go to extremes to insure that, and a certain small amount goes down the drain. Over time it builds up. So far, the Drainbo seems to be helping to keep the drain clear. I don't know, however, what it would be able to do with a massive amount of lard poured down the drain all at once!

I'm glad this was brought up because we have had huge problems with the dishwasher and the sink becuase of all the fat sticking to everything. Thanks for the tip on "Drainbo". Any advise for the dishwasher? If I dont wash all dishes first I get fat film on everything!

Horseofadifferentcolor said:
I'm glad this was brought up because we have had huge problems with the dishwasher and the sink becuase of all the fat sticking to everything. Thanks for the tip on "Drainbo". Any advise for the dishwasher? If I dont wash all dishes first I get fat film on everything!

Funny you should mention that. That's how the grease ends up going down the drain -- we have to rinse the plates and silverware in hot water before placing them in the dishwasher. Even then, we had a plumber out last week and he found that the dishwasher drain hose was plugged with "stuff."

I wonder if you are using a "low fat" dishwasher detergent. :) You might try something different. We are using Seventh Generation products, including the detergent and the rinse agent. I have seen warnings that common rinse agent brands like "Jet Dry" leave toxic residues on the dishes!

Thank you for the concern everyone, but this was two weeks ago and the drains have been sorted (it was an outside drain). Still though, just ugh :mad: , get me out of 3d!

ytain said:
Also you can use caustic soda, it removes the grease from any surface.

Nasty stuff, and if you use it (or a commercial drain cleaner that contains it) and still have to call someone to clear the drain, you may end up paying quite a bit extra.

Let your dog and/or cat lick the plate, pot, etc. before you wash it and you'll never have any issues with grease down a drain.

Guardian said:

Let your dog and/or cat lick the plate, pot, etc. before you wash it and you'll never have any issues with grease down a drain.

Yep, there's no substitute for Doggie Prewash! :rotfl:

If you don't have a dog, or find the concept off putting, or worry that the dog will later have to go outside very ten minutes...what I do is wipe out grease that cannot be reused and throw it out, then use Soap, wash the pot, and toss the water outside. As we live in the country, it doesn't harm anything to do that.

As for drains, does no one use baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water anymore? :huh:

That's just part of the diet, as far as I'm concerned. :flowers:

Gimpy said:
As for drains, does no one use baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water anymore? :huh:
I have and it worked for me at the time. I also use Dawn detergent. While it's probably not great, environmentally speaking, I've found that it breaks up the grease so that I don't clog the drain.

Guardian said:

Better be careful with that. Our Cassie overdosed on grease, or so the vet said, back before we put them both on a raw food grain-free diet. Now that she is healthier, Cassie doesn't usually bug me any more to lick my plate, although I know she does sometimes sneak into the kitchen and lick the spatula rest before I finish cleaning up. Her whiskers were singed for a while on one side and we suspect she tried that trick with the cast iron frying pan, which takes a long time to cool off.

There may be other things to watch out for. Onions and cats don't mix well, for example. This won't be a problem, though, if you eat what they eat.

Megan said:
ytain said:

Nasty stuff, and if you use it (or a commercial drain cleaner that contains it) and still have to call someone to clear the drain, you may end up paying quite a bit extra.

couple of times, my drain tube of RO filter that connects to main drain clogged due to fat ( thus creating leakage to RO water unit), which I cleaned with long thin iron wire. I started using the hot water more recent months, I didn't have this clogging problem after that. I should use drainbo and see how that works, as I sink continue to build lot of pipe.

Megan said:
There may be other things to watch out for. Onions and cats don't mix well, for example. This won't be a problem, though, if you eat what they eat.

Yeah, meat...except mine is usually cooked :)

I've not noticed any problem letting them lick the greasy plates and pots...and it's a big help when you've got a septic tank and eat a lot of fatty meat. I don't eat onions, peppers and similar vegetation so I don't have to worry about that. Sometimes I have potatoes, or beans that have been crock potted with meat, but that's about it.

All my dishwashers have had four legs, and I've never had a clogged sink :D

My new crockpot filled my room with a horrid burning plastic smell. Cause: probably the stickers at the bottom. I removed the stickers... Hope that solves it. Ugh.

Edit: God help me the offgas is awful! :cry: Did any of you guys have this problem with new slow cookers?

Edit 2: I'm returning this crockpot.

I lick the greasy plates myself even if it does make laugh my daughter. For pots in which I cannot really lick because my tongue is not enough long :lol:

So I use a very hot water and a simple cleaning dishes (a "green" one because of the environment) and it works very well.

ytain said:

If you use lye to clean a greasy drain, you run the risk of turning the grease into a solid plug of soap.

Just wipe the excess grease off into the trash with a paper towel if you have no other options. I wouldn't use a dishwasher if I had to wash the dishes before I put them in it!

Laura said:
Just wipe the excess grease off into the trash with a paper towel if you have no other options.

That's exactly what I do as well. And that works great so far.

Back
Top Bottom