"Life Without Bread"

TIME TO MOVE TO PRE-MAINTENANCE?

Our usual recommendation is that you proceed to Phase 3 when you're about 10 pounds from your goal weight. To decide when and if it's time for you to move to Phase 3, ask yourself the following questions:

Have you been losing steadily and are now 10 pounds from your goal weight?

If so, it's time to segue into your new permanent way of eating, which is the purpose of Pre-Maintenance.

Do you have more than 10 pounds to go but are continuing to lose weight at a CLL of 50-plus without cravings and nagging hunger, but are champing at the bit for more food choices?

You can try going directly to Pre-Maintenance, but return to OWL quickly if weight loss ceases and any previous symptoms return. Do you still have more than 10 pounds to lose and ...

• Your weight loss is stalled?

• Certain foods still trigger cravings?

• You're eating inappropriate foods on occasion?

• Your blood sugar and insulin levels are not yet normalized?

In such a case, you're better off staying in OWL for the time being.

Alternatively, does this describe your situation?

• You were able to lose weight in Induction but can't seem to budge in OWL.

• The greater choice of foods is creating problems with cravings and unreasonable hunger.

• You may have even regained some lost pounds in OWL.

If so, you may be someone who is particularly sensitive to carbohydrates and has to keep his/her carb intake low indefinitely. If your weight loss has stalled for more than four weeks and you're experiencing symptoms that are making it difficult to stay with OWL, this is not the time to consider moving to another phase. You've probably reached your Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium (ACE)—or exceeded it—sooner than you expected. Just to be clear, your CLL is the daily carb intake level that lets you keep losing weight, and your ACE is the level that lets you hold your weight stable. For some people, these two numbers can be pretty low and close together, 30 and 45 grams, for example. Say you've reached a daily intake of 40 grams of Net Carbs. If you're still losing weight but are experiencing hunger, this level may be destabilizing indicators that you'd recently brought under control.

When you bump up against your ACE before reaching your goal, it means that the metabolic bully is back and needs to be dispatched. Here's how. Drop back 5 grams for one or two weeks. If you feel no better and are still not losing, drop back another 5 grams. A better CLL for you may be 35 or even 30 grams or less. Look at your foods as well. If, for example, you've recently added berries and suspect that they may be the culprit, eat them a couple of times a week instead of every day. Add no new food groups until you feel better. Once you stabilize, you can continue to try to add new OWL foods as long as both your weight loss and your overall feelings of well-being remain. When you're 10 pounds from your goal weight, move to Pre-Maintenance.

However, if you're consuming somewhere between 25 and 50 grams of Net Carbs, cannot increase your CLL, and are 10 pounds from your goal weight, there's no point in trying to introduce foods higher on the carb ladder. Instead, stay in OWL until you reach your goal weight, maintain it for a month, and then follow the lower-carb approach to Lifetime Maintenance designed for people who are more sensitive to carbs. You may need to back down on carbs and increase your fat intake. Don't feel bad if you find that your CLL is quite low. Instead, be grateful that Atkins allows you to find the individualized level that will allow your body to correct or stabilize the underlying condition and keep the bully at bay.

Something I want to add here having done Atkins for quite a while before- if you buy any type of packaged sandwich meat- like ham, turkey etc, it may be best to go ahead and count a serving as one gram of carbs, to be on the safe side. Oftentimes, with this type of product, it will have almost 1 gram due to trace fillers, preservatives ,etc, I am guessing from the packaging plant . Labeling laws will allow them to say 0 grams of carbs as long as it is less than 1 . So it could be .01 under and it is still ok for them to say 0 on the package, but it can add up really quick. That is true for any packaged store bought products here in the states, anyway. We found it a better gauge to round any store bought product up 1 gram to be on the safe side as a lot of people were having issues and could not figure out where the problem was.

Just to be clear, that is true for any number of carbs, not just 0. For example, 3.9 carbs would be labeled as 3.

Some info here:

Fat, saturated fat, total carbohydrates, sugars, and dietary fiber must be rounded to the nearest whole gram. Heavy whipping cream, for example, has a serving size of 1 tablespoon and an actual carbohydrate content of about .4 grams. The label can, therefore, show the total carbohydrates as 0

_http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/nutritionlabels.htm

Also, we found the net cab calculation did not work very well . The low carb products did not work well either . We all got great results from meat fat and veggies under 20 grams though counted in the normal way without subtracting for weight loss. I personally lost about 65 pounds in 5 months or so .

EmeraldHope said:
Also, we found the net cab calculation did not work very well . The low carb products did not work well either . We all got great results from meat fat and veggies under 20 grams though counted in the normal way without subtracting for weight loss. I personally lost about 65 pounds in 5 months or so .

I agree. I think they are trying to get past the censors by giving a nod to fiber.

I think the most important thing about it is that each person needs to find their own carb tolerance. Now, in all of the above, the focus is mainly on weight loss, but we have a big focus on symptoms of various disorders, conditions, etc. As Taubes, Lutz, and Phinney/Volek point out, nearly all of the conditions that are attributed to fat or smoking or whatever can actually be tracked to carbs, what we are looking at is a population that, by and large, has very low carb tolerance. Carbs even age you!

There is only a small sub-set of individuals who can "thrive" on carbs. I put that in quotes because we don't really know that they are thriving because some of them just up and drop dead of heart attacks or strokes one day after years of looking pretty good and apparently feeling fine.

Are we still recommending fish oil supplementation? I remember some questions were raised about it so I stopped it for a while.

Mr. Premise said:
Are we still recommending fish oil supplementation? I remember some questions were raised about it so I stopped it for a while.

Well, these guys recommend it because, as they point out, most meat is too high on the 6s due to grain feeding of cattle. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to take one or two a day or so.

Laura said:
EmeraldHope said:

I agree. I think they are trying to get past the censors by giving a nod to fiber.

I think the most important thing about it is that each person needs to find their own carb tolerance. Now, in all of the above, the focus is mainly on weight loss, but we have a big focus on symptoms of various disorders, conditions, etc. As Taubes, Lutz, and Phinney/Volek point out, nearly all of the conditions that are attributed to fat or smoking or whatever can actually be tracked to carbs, what we are looking at is a population that, by and large, has very low carb tolerance. Carbs even age you!

There is only a small sub-set of individuals who can "thrive" on carbs. I put that in quotes because we don't really know that they are thriving because some of them just up and drop dead of heart attacks or strokes one day after years of looking pretty good and apparently feeling fine.

We found Laura, across the board, that overall men can eat many more carbs than women and maintain ketosis. It was such a big difference that it made all of us carb addicted women jealous, lol

EmeraldHope said:
We found Laura, across the board, that overall men can eat many more carbs than women and maintain ketosis. It was such a big difference that it made all of us carb addicted women jealous, lol

fwiw so far it seems I can't go about about 20-30g or ketosis comes to a grinding halt, so not all men can eat more carbs.

RedFox said:
EmeraldHope said:

fwiw so far it seems I can't go about about 20-30g or ketosis comes to a grinding halt, so not all men can eat more carbs.

No Red Fox, not all, sorry. I said overall, but perhaps that wasn't right wording. I mean to say that the the males compared to the females could eat more carbs and maintain ketosis There were exceptions in both. Some women could eat more, and some men had to eat less, but for the most part, men were much higher overall That's the overall I meant. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

Laura said:
A low-carb diet is naturally diuretic, which flushes sodium and water from your body. Fatigue, light-headedness upon standing up or with exposure to heat (in a hot shower or hot tub or while mowing the lawn on a hot day, for example), weakness, constipation, chronic headaches, and leg cramps are all signs you might not be getting enough sodium. Like fat, salt has been unjustly demonized, despite being essential to life and well-being.

Good to know, cause since several days I'm missing a lot of energy and also constipated, need a nap daily. So at the moment I'm adding salt to my vit-c stevia drink.

INTO THE HOME STRETCH: PRE-MAINTENANCE

For those of you who began Atkins in Induction or Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL), the end is in sight. (Of course, you know that "the end" is really only the beginning of your new lifestyle.) If your goal was to slim down, it's within your grasp. If you were determined to lower your blood pressure and your blood sugar and insulin levels or improve your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, your indicators should show marked improvement. Just for fun, flip back through some of the entries in your diet journal to remind yourself of how far you've come in the last several months (or weeks, if your objectives were small). Your achievements are the result of keeping your eye on the big picture, feeding your body in a way that minimizes temptation, and not letting minor setbacks derail you.

Let's put one issue to rest. Many people don't understand why Atkins is made up of four phases instead of three. Once you reach your goal, you're done, right? Wrong! Difficult as losing weight is, it pales in comparison to the challenge of maintaining your healthy new weight. Almost anyone can stick with any diet for weeks—or even months. But permanently changing your way of eating is much more difficult. That's why Phase 3, Pre-Maintenance, and Phase 4, Lifetime Maintenance, are distinct. In Phase 3, you'll attain your goal weight and then make sure that you can stay right there for a month. (Some people remain in Ongoing Weight Loss, or OWL, until they reach their goal weight, as discussed in the last chapter.) This dress rehearsal prepares you for the real show, the rest of your life in Lifetime Maintenance. Regard Pre-Maintenance as the beginning of your transition to a permanent and sustainable way of eating.

Whether the Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CLL) that you found in OWL is 30 or 80 grams of Net Carbs, you've obviously hit upon a mix of nutrients that works for you, at least for weight loss. Give yourself a round of applause as you begin to whittle away those last few pounds and inches and normalize your health indicators.

...Phase 3, in which many of you will have the opportunity to test the waters with the remaining carbohydrate food groups. These include fruits other than berries, starchy vegetables, and whole grains. Which is not to say that you have to eat these foods or even that you can eat them.

You'll explore your tolerances for foods higher on the carb ladder as you increase your overall carb intake (generally in 10-gram increments) until you reach and maintain your goal weight for a month. Although this seems like a relatively small goal, particularly if you've already trimmed a substantial amount of extra weight, the last few pounds and inches are often the most stubborn to let go, particularly if you try to advance your carb intake too quickly. This phase could take as long as three months or even more, but that's fine. Now is the time to think like a tortoise, not like a hare. But first, time for a reality check.

In addition to saying good-bye to those final 10 pounds of excess fat, you want to identify your overall tolerance for carbohydrates, as well as which foods you can and cannot handle. In this phase you'll fine-tune those two concepts. Hard as it may be at this crucial time, keep your focus on the process, which will naturally lead to your desired results. If you rush to shed those last pesky pounds, you may never learn what you need to know to keep them off for good.

If you're feeling deprived and looking forward to revisiting all your old food friends as soon as possible, you're cruising for a bruising. Unless you're blessed with superhuman powers of self-control or the metabolism of a superhero—in which case we doubt you'd be reading this book —it's simply unrealistic to think you can drop weight and/or get your blood sugar, blood pressure, and lipids under control and then return to your old way of eating without repercussions. In fact, no matter how you lose weight, abandoning your new way of eating once you reach your goal almost inevitably leads to weight regain. If you return to a high-carb diet—usually laden with heavily processed foods—you'll also likely experience the attendant health problems we've already mentioned... Pre-Maintenance trains you for a lifetime way of eating.

You may have lost pounds, only to gain some of them back. If you've followed the program to the letter and found that certain foods reawakened cravings, you may have moved beyond your Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CLL). Or you may have progressed too quickly. As you now know, both can reawaken the sleeping metabolic bully. Frustrating as these experiences have surely been, the silver lining is that they've given you valuable information on what you can and cannot eat. Knowledge is power. Even if you don't like everything you've learned, your hard-earned education about your body's response to carbohydrates will allow you to work within its comfort range—and put you, not that box of cookies or slice of pizza, in control.

You may have found that reintroducing certain foods stalled your weight loss or actually made you regain a few pounds. Perhaps you became reacquainted with some of the old familiar demons: cravings, out-of-control appetite, and midafternoon fatigue. Maybe you felt that you'd jumped back on that blood sugar roller coaster. Like it or not, it may be that your body is particularly sensitive to carbohydrates and you'll have to continue to keep your intake low to avoid regaining weight and experiencing other harmful metabolic effects. You may need to heal your metabolism by continuing at a relatively low-carb level for the foreseeable future.

BEGINNING IN PRE-MAINTENANCE

If you're starting out with 10 to 20 pounds to lose or are presently happy with your weight and are changing your diet for health reasons, you may start in this phase at 40 grams of Net Carbs a day, increasing by 10-gram weekly increments until you approach your Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium (ACE), discussed below. If weight is not your issue, you'll know that you've exceeded your ACE when you develop cravings or unreasonable hunger, your energy level drops, or your health indicators stop improving or revert to previous levels.

{In this paragraph above is the suggestion that those folks who are already skinny should start at the 40 grams of carbs a day. Obviously, if you have cravings or unreasonable hunger, or lack of energy, you will want to drop the carb level. But if those things are not a problem, and you are generally skinny, you should try the 40 grams of carbs but get it with added things like carrots or sweet potatoes.}

WHAT TO EXPECT IN PRE-MAINTENANCE

As you increase your carb intake and home in on your goal weight, you may lose an average of as little as a half pound a week, which is perfectly natural. All the while, you'll be learning the eating habits that will guide you for the rest of your life. As in OWL, you'll experiment as you figure out what you can and can't eat. This process of testing your limits or even temporarily backing off—using your weight change as the imperfect indicator you now know it is—is all part of the learning curve.

There's a good likelihood that at some point you'll find yourself on a plateau. If you experienced one or more of the inexplicable cessations of weight loss in OWL, you'll know what to do. If you haven't plateaued before, go back to "Hitting a Plateau" on page 128 and carefully reread that section. Dealing patiently with and learning from a plateau is essential to your continued success. (If you seem to be getting nowhere despite following these suggestions, it's likely that you've happened upon your ACE prematurely and need to drop back 10 to 20 grams of Net Carbs to continue losing.) After all, your ultimate success in Lifetime Maintenance is achieving a permanent plateau—aka your goal weight. You may get discouraged and be tempted to revert to OWL (or even Induction) to banish those last pesky pounds ASAP. Don't do it! Pre-Maintenance is where you learn how to eat in the real world of family dinners, business lunches, holiday gatherings, vacations, and myriad other occasions in which food plays a major role.

THE BASICS OF PRE-MAINTENANCE

Now that you're in Phase 3, you'll still follow pretty much the same drill you have until now to stay in a fat-burning mode. You must know it by heart by now: count your carbs, and be sure that 12 to 15 grams of your total daily Net Carb intake is made up of foundation vegetables. They'll continue to be the platform upon which you build as you add back new carbohydrate foods. Also, keep eating the recommended amounts of protein and sufficient natural fats to feel satisfied at the end of each meal. Continue to drink plenty of water and other acceptable beverages, consume enough salt, broth, or soy sauce (unless you take diuretics) if your Net Carb intake is 50 grams or less, and take your supplements.

So what's different? You'll slowly increase your daily Net Carb intake in 10-gram increments as long as weight loss continues and follow the Pre-Maintenance meal plans in part III. In effect, you're swapping the pace of your weight loss for a slightly higher CLL. But if this brings your weight loss to a grinding halt or you gain back a pound or so that remains longer than a week, simply drop back 10 grams. Stay there for a couple of weeks, and if slight weight loss resumes, try increasing your carb intake by 5 grams to see if you get the same reaction you did with a 10-gram increase. You may wind up remaining at the same CLL that you were at in OWL, even as you reintroduce some of the acceptable foods for this phase. Once you exceed 50 grams of Net Carbs, you need not continue to consume salty broth, soy sauce, or a half teaspoon of salt each day.

{I'm skipping the part about adding back in dairy and legumes for their "fiber" content.}

OTHER FRUITS

Assuming you didn't have trouble reintroducing moderate portions of berries, cherries, and melon in OWL, you can now experiment with other fruits. As you'll see below, carb counts vary significantly. Remember that all fruit is high in sugar and should be treated as a garnish. Start by introducing portions of no more than a half cup of such relatively low-carb fresh fruits as plums, peaches, apples, tangerines, and kiwis. One small ripe banana, on the other hand, packs about 21 grams of Net Carbs and its close relative, the plantain, even more. Avoid canned fruit. Even fruit packed in juice concentrate or "lite" syrup is swimming in added sugar.

Continue to stay away from fruit juice, other than lemon and lime juice. A cup of unsweetened apple juice, for example, racks up 29 grams of Net Carbs, and orange juice (even freshly squeezed) is a close runner-up. Without the fiber to slow its absorption, fruit juice hits your metabolism like a sledgehammer. Likewise, drying fruit, including apricots, raisins, prunes, and apple slices, concentrates the sugars, elevating their carb count.

STARCHY VEGETABLES

Vegetables such as winter squash, sweet potatoes, and root vegetables such as carrots, beets, and parsnips have their virtues. All root vegetables are rich in minerals, and brightly colored ones are full of antioxidants. But the flip side is that these same vegetables are significantly higher in carbs than foundation vegetables are. You'll want to keep your portions of these starchy vegetables small unless you have a very high tolerance for carbs. Even within this grouping, carb counts vary greatly. Carrots and beets, for example, come in well below corn on the cob and potatoes. And a single serving of cassava exceeds the total carb intake for a day in Induction, with taro a close runner-up.

WHOLE GRAINS

This is usually the last food group to reintroduce (if at all), and with good reason. Ounce for ounce, grains are generally the highest in carb content of any whole food. You'll note that we refer to this category as whole grains, not simply grains. Oats, buckwheat, brown rice, and other whole grains are good sources of fiber, B vitamins, vitamin E, and minerals such as zinc and magnesium. But they and products made with them—whole grain bread, for one—come with a high-carb price tag. Even for people with a relatively high ACE, these foods could bait the metabolic bully. Introduce them with care and if tolerated, consume them in moderation.

PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Refined grains and processed foods made with them are a very different story. Their high carb count is accompanied by scant nutritional value. As much as possible, continue to stay away from refined grains such as white flour and bread and crackers made from them. Refined grains, including white rice, have been stripped of their valuable bran and germ (the seed embryo, which is rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, and other micro-nutrients).

You'll note that the list of Acceptable Foods for Pre-Maintenance doesn't list processed foods such as bread, pasta, pita breads, tortillas, crackers, breakfast cereals, and the like, as carb counts vary significantly from one manufacturer to another. While you should continue to check the Nutritional Facts panel on all processed products, foods that incorporate grains particularly qualify as minefields. In addition to avoiding foods with trans fats and added sugar, watch out for white or "enriched" flour. Baked goods made with whole wheat or other whole grains—look for 100 percent whole grain—tend to be higher in fiber and thus lower in carbs, as well as higher in micronutrients. If white flour is the first item on the ingredients list, followed by whole grain flour, forget about it.

{Ya'll know our position on gluten containing grains; I've just included the above so ya'll see that even these guys are real wary of grains at all.}

WHAT DOES PRE-MAINTENANCE LOOK LIKE?

As before, you'll add the acceptable new foods gradually, one group at a time as long as you can handle them, and one food at a time within each group. It's important to continue to record in your journal how you respond to each new food because you're now entering territory full of foods that may have triggered cravings and possibly binges in the past. So let's look at three scenarios of how your first several weeks of Pre- Maintenance might go.

SCENARIO 1

Say that you've left OWL with a CLL of 50.

• Week 1 : You move up to 60 grams of Net Carbs a day, sampling a few different kinds of legumes over the week, during which you lose another pound.

• Week 2 : You move to 70 grams of Net Carbs and reintroduce small portions of new fruits. You lose no weight and struggle with cravings for more fruit.

• Week 3 : You drop back down to 60 grams of Net Carbs and continue with small portions of fruit, being sure to have them with cream, yogurt, or cheese. The cravings diminish, and you lose half a pound over the week.

{Bad using dairy to anesthetize the cravings!}

• Week 4 : You remain at 60 grams of Net Carbs and reintroduce small portions of carrots, sweet potatoes, and green peas on alternate days. You lose another pound by week's end.

• Week 5: You move to 70 grams of Net Carbs and cautiously introduce tiny portions of whole grains every other day, shedding a half pound by week's end.

• Week 6 : You move to 80 grams of Net Carbs and continue to carefully try different fruits, legumes, starchy vegetables, and occasionally whole grains. By the end of the week, you've lost another half pound.

SCENARIO 2

Again assume you had a CLL of 50 upon leaving OWL.

• Week 1 : You move up to 60 grams of Net Carbs a day. You couldn't care less if you ever eat another legume again, but you sample a few different kinds of fruit over the week. Your weight is unchanged at week's end.

• Week 2: You remain at 60 grams of Net Carbs and find yourself craving more fruit, so you make sure to always combine it with cheese, cream, or yogurt, and you manage to lose a half pound.

• Week 3 : You move to 65 grams of Net Carbs and reintroduce small portions of carrots, sweet potatoes, and sweet peas on alternate days. By week's end, you've regained a pound.

• Week 4 : You drop back to 55 grams of Net Carbs and continue to cautiously consume both fruit and some starchy vegetables. Although you don't regain weight, you don't lose any either.

• Week 5: You move up to 60 grams of Net Carbs but back off the starchy vegetables. By the end of the week, you've lost half a pound and wonder whether you're getting pretty close to your ACE.

• Week 6: You continue at this carb level and hold off on the starchy vegetables, losing half a pound that week.

SCENARIO 3

Now let's assume that you left OWL with a CLL of 35.

• Week 1 : You move to 45 grams of Net Carbs, adding small portions of legumes. Although your weight remains stable, by the end of the week, you've had some ravenous episodes and feel bloated.

• Week 2 : You drop back to 35 grams of Net Carbs and back off the legumes. Your weight loss resumes, and the bloating and cravings disappear.

• Week 3: You're feeling good and slowly losing weight, so you decide not to push your luck and remain at 35 grams of Net Carbs for another week.

• Week 4: You move up to 40 grams of Net Carbs and try reintroducing small legume portions. You continue to feel good and lose another half pound.

• Week 5: You move up to 45 grams of Net Carbs and add small amounts of fruit, which produce cravings and stall weight loss.

• Week 6 : Understanding that feeling good and in control is more important than trying to push things, you back down to 40 grams of Net Carbs, experimenting with new foods in small portions, until you've achieved your goal weight.

As you can see, there is a tremendous variation in how individuals respond to increases in carb intake and to different foods. Your own scenario will undoubtedly differ. Also remember that your weight can vary by a few pounds from day to day, independent of increments in carb intake and different foods. That's why it's important to continue to use the weight-averaging method described on page 77.

YOUR CARB TOLERANCE

Like it or not, you may find that there are some foods you simply cannot handle or must eat very carefully in order to not regain weight and stimulate cravings. Likewise, if elevated blood sugar or metabolic syndrome has been an issue for you, it's likely that you'll need to be very careful about introducing higher-carb foods. (For more on metabolic syndrome, see chapter 13.) Knowing your limits will enable you to have a realistic approach to meal planning once you're in Lifetime Maintenance. Anxious as you may be to reach your goal weight, achieving it in a way that's close to the way that you'll be eating to sustain that new weight makes it more likely you'll succeed long term.

Once you've achieved your goal weight but before you move to Lifetime Maintenance, you'll have to find your Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium (ACE). In contrast to your CLL, which relates to weight loss, your ACE is the number of grams of Net Carbs you can eat each day, while neither losing nor gaining weight. Many people wind up with an ACE of 65 to 100 grams of Net Carbs, but some people have a considerably lower ACE and a very few people an even higher one.

It's important to understand that looking merely at weight loss can oversimplify the issue of carb tolerance. Your energy level, ability to concentrate, tendency to retain fluid, and, of course, the old signals of unreasonable hunger and carb cravings must also be considered.

For example, even if you're losing weight at a CLL of say, 50 grams of Net Carbs a day, you might still be reawakening food cravings or blood sugar swings or experiencing low energy, which could make maintaining that level of carb intake problematic long term. Why are we bringing this up? Because some people, for a variety of reasons, find that they do best at 25 to 50 grams of Net Carbs in either the weight loss or weight maintenance phases. Your objective is not to push your carb intake to the absolute limit but to advance to the point where you're comfortable and don't stimulate the return of any of the old symptoms that originally got you into trouble. Bottom line: finding your ACE is not just a matter of getting to the right weight; if you're pushing your ACE too high, it is probably not sustainable.

What's unique about the low-carb way of eating compared to other diets is that adhering first to your CLL and later your ACE results in profound changes in your metabolism, enabling you to better control your intake of calories. The flip side is that if you exceed your ACE, you're forcing your body to burn more glucose while inhibiting fat breakdown and utilization. This makes it harder to control appetite and feel satiated, with the result that you'll almost certainly regain lost pounds. You'll lose the Atkins Edge and the metabolic bully will rear its ugly head again, blocking fat burning.

GETTING (THE FAT) UP THERE

From everything we've told you so far, you'd think that it's the carbs in your diet that stop weight loss at your goal. That's partially true, because carbs do exert a strong control over your metabolism—the bully thing. But when you move from losing weight to maintaining weight, you need to increase your consumption of healthy, natural fats slightly to meet your maintenance energy needs. No, you don't need to measure or count your intake of fatty foods. With your appetite as your guide, you just need to let it happen. We'll tell you how in the next chapter. All you need to know for now is that as you approach your goal weight, you may become aware of something that hunting peoples have known about for centuries: "fat hunger." It's a different and subtler feeling than having the bottom drop out on you after a sugar rush. But if you find yourself staring into the fridge and eyeing the butter, cheese, or salad dressing, you've probably been skimping on fat. Learning to recognize and respond appropriately to fat hunger is an important skill for success in Lifetime Maintenance.

KEEPING IT OFF: LIFETIME MAINTENANCE

• You've developed a whole set of new habits.

• You've experienced the empowerment that comes with controlling what you put into your mouth.

• You know how many carbs you can consume without regaining weight.

• You can distinguish between empty carbs and nutrient-dense carbs.

• You understand why eating sufficient fat is key to appetite control and the Atkins Edge.

• You've learned how to distinguish between hunger and habit and between feeling satisfied and feeling stuffed.

• You recognize the signs that a certain food or pattern of eating triggers cravings.

• You've experienced the exhilaration of feeling good and full of energy.

Knowing what you now know and succeeding as you have, why would you ever go back to your old way of eating — letting sugars and other processed carbs bully your metabolism— which is almost sure to result in weight regain and the reemergence of health problems and self-esteem issues?

The lessons that you've learned about which foods to eat in which amounts remain valid now that your goal is to hold steady.

If your measurements consistently increase and your clothes feel and look tight, it's time to act. As long as you've gained no more than 5 pounds, simply drop down 10 to 20 grams of Net Carbs below your ACE and the extra pounds should retreat.

But it's not just a matter of weight. It's equally important to stay alert for cravings, unreasonable hunger, lack of energy, and other familiar indicators that you may be veering away from your fat-burning safety zone and losing the Atkins Edge. All these may signal that you're consuming too many carbs or that you're sensitive to the effects of one or more recently added foods. As you adjust your intake accordingly, with every passing week you'll get a better idea of your limits.

Now that you're no longer trying to trim pounds and inches, you clearly need more energy from food sources since you're no longer relying on your body fat for some of your fuel. Most people find that their appetite increases slightly as they approach their body's healthy natural weight, even as they stay within their ACE. It's important to understand that the extra fuel to keep your weight stable should come primarily from dietary fat so that you remain in a fat-burning mode. If you find that your weight is dropping below the desired level or experience fat hunger, you'll need to allow a little more fat into your diet.

FAT REMAINS YOUR FRIEND

When you were losing, say, an average of 1 pound a week, each day you were burning about 500 Calories of your body fat for energy. As you transition into Lifetime Maintenance, your body doesn't really care where your favorite fuel comes from hour by hour: inside—your stores of body fat—or outside—dietary fat. Say that you're consuming 75 grams of Net Carbs per day (300 Calories) and 15 ounces of protein (roughly 400 Calories); together they add up to just 700 Calories. If you're a five-foot, four-inch-tall woman and your body is burning 1,800 Calories a day, the other 1,100 Calories have to come from fat. Why not simply increase your protein intake instead? Because, as you learned in chapter 5, the amount of protein you've been eating all along is close to optimal, and more isn't better. As for adding more carbs, once you've found your Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium (ACE), it's likely to remain your upper limit for the foreseeable future.

If you ignore this advice and continue to add carbs beyond your ACE, you'll soon be revisited by the same old demons of hunger and carb cravings. Overconsuming carbs only invites that metabolic bully back into your life. Your metabolism is already adapted to efficiently moving fat into your cells and using it for energy rather than storing it for later use, providing a sustained and predictable fuel supply. Perhaps you've noticed that once you've adapted to a low-carb diet and complying with your ACE, you can be an hour or two late for a meal and not feel desperate. How so? The answer is that even when you're at your goal weight, you still have a couple of months' worth of energy reserve tucked away as body fat. This means that your muscles, your liver, and your heart are getting a continuous, uninterrupted flow of energy directly from fat. Even your brain, which requires more than 500 Calories per day, gets much of its energy from fat. If you've banished 30 pounds of body fat since you started Induction, your body has burned off an awesome 100,000 Calories more than you ate. And there's no reason your metabolism can't continue that same burn rate for fat—keeping the Atkins Edge—as you maintain your new weight.

How can you add fat calories in a palatable way? Follow the meal plans for Pre-Maintenance, adding small portions of salad dressings, sauces, and spreads. Many cultures have used sauces, gravies, and meat drippings this way for millennia. For more ideas, see the sidebar "Delectable Choices" and check out the recipes for sauces in part III.) There's no need to count fat grams or calories. Just let your taste and appetite dictate, without letting fat phobia get in your way. It may take a while to learn to trust your instincts. Fat has an inherent ability to satisfy your appetite and to keep you feeling satisfied longer than the same amount of carbohydrate. You'll probably get a chuckle out of the fact that you, who once had a weight problem, now have to be careful not to go too far in the opposite direction.

Here's one more issue not to worry about. You may be concerned that you can't digest all this fat. With the possible exception of someone who has had gallbladder surgery, this is not likely to be a problem. Why? Have you ever eaten a pint of ice cream at one time? Honestly now, the last thing on your mind back then was worrying that your digestive system couldn't handle 75 grams of fat in less than an hour, right? Given that experience, why would you worry about whether it can handle 50 to 60 grams of fat as part of a whole foods meal?

You've already made many choices as you worked toward your goal weight. Likewise, there's no one-size-fits-all maintenance program. The single most important decision that you'll confront is this: What do I need to do to keep off the weight I've lost and maintain my health long term? From experience we've learned that you must do something different than you did in the past because maintenance doesn't just happen.

You already know about the tremendous variation among individual ACEs, which enables some people to consume considerably more carbs each day than others without regaining weight or seeing the return of cravings, low energy, and other symptoms. Others find that they just feel better with a lower intake of carbs. Just as we've advised you to increase your overall carb intake—and the variety of carb foods—slowly in the weight loss phases, we want you to think carefully about your carb intake in Lifetime Maintenance. Rather than push yourself to a level that makes maintenance hard to sustain, you may be happier and more successful at a lower level. In fact, you may even find you'll prefer to back down 5 or 10 grams from the ACE you achieved in Pre-Maintenance. Remember, the goal here is to banish the weight you've lost for good, not win some contest for having the highest ACE on the block!

HEALTH AND YOUR ACE

If you have a condition such as hypertension, diabetes, a high triglyceride level, or low HDL cholesterol level, all of which indicate a risk of developing cardiovascular disease, you may find that they're better controlled if you remain at a lower level of carb intake than the ACE determined by your ability to maintain your weight. Rest assured, there's no risk in staying between 25 and 50 grams of Net Carbs. This is particularly worth considering if you previously needed medication to control any of these conditions.

For some people, staying at or less than 50 grams per day of Net Carbs gives them a better long-term response to these conditions. If ongoing health issues require medication or you've experienced weight regain despite your best efforts, you may also want to reduce your ACE. In effect, your choice of foods can work like your medicine. (Depending upon how severe the condition, you may still be able to cut back on or eliminate your medication at a somewhat lower level of carb intake.) Your best approach to Lifetime Maintenance is to understand all of your options and keep them open as you move forward. If you have to work hard to maintain your weight at a higher ACE, you may later decide that it's too stressful to do so. Or you may find that some of your health indicators have worsened. At that point, you might choose to reduce your carb intake to improve your life. Alternatively, if you've been able to maintain your weight for some time and/or your blood pressure, blood sugar, blood lipids, or other metabolic indicators remain in the low-risk range, you may consider gradually increasing your carb intake. Your ACE is never carved in stone, and you can raise or lower it as experience dictates.

LIFETIME MAINTENANCE WITH AN ACE OF 50 OR LESS

The simplest description of this approach is Ongoing Weight Loss with a bit more variety and some additional fat. Here's how to do it.

• Remain at the ACE you identified in Pre-Maintenance.

• Continue to eat the same healthy whole foods you've come to rely on:

—About 4 to 6 ounces of protein foods at each meal

—Enough healthy fats to keep you satisfied —The right balance of fats

—At least 12 to 15 grams of Net Carbs from foundation vegetables

• Continue to consume 2 servings of broth (not low sodium), 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, or half a teaspoon of salt each day unless you're taking a diuretic medication or your doctor has advised you to restrict salt.

• In addition to Acceptable Induction and OWL foods, continue to eat any Acceptable Pre-Maintenance foods you've been able to reintroduce. If you find it hard to eat moderate portions of any food, new or otherwise, or it causes cravings, stay away from it.

• If you still have indicators of metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes despite your weight loss, don't keep increasing your carb intake. Instead, if you're not satiated, try increasing your fat intake as described above. (For more on how Atkins addresses these health conditions, see part IV.)

• Follow the meal plans for OWL at the appropriate number of grams of Net Carbs, but add more healthy natural fats as your appetite dictates.

• Continue your multivitamin/multimineral and omega-3 supplements.

LIFETIME MAINTENANCE WITH AN ACE ABOVE 50

This path can be best described as your last month of Pre-Maintenance, again with a bit more fat. The main difference from the lower-carb path described above is that you can select from a broader range of carbohydrate containing foods. With greater variety, however, comes a greater risk of temptation, so you may need to exercise extra vigilance to conform to your ACE. Here's how to do it.

• Remain at the ACE you identified in Pre-Maintenance.

• Continue to eat the same healthy whole foods you've come to rely on:

—About 4 to 6 ounces of protein foods at each meal

—Enough healthy fats to keep you satisfied —The right balance of fats

—At least 12 to 15 grams of Net Carbs from foundation vegetables

• Continue to add new foods as your ACE allows as long as they don't stimulate excessive hunger and cravings. If they do, back off and try to reintroduce them at a later date. Stay away from any foods that provoke old bad habits.

• If you drop below your desired goal weight, increase your fat intake as described above.

• Broth or other ways to introduce salt are no longer necessary, but you may continue to consume them, if you prefer.

• Follow the Pre-Maintenance meal plans at your ACE but add more healthy natural fats as your appetite dictates.

• Continue your multivitamin/multimineral and omega-3 supplements.

Whether your ACE is 30 or 100, as you develop new habits, they'll ultimately become second nature. You'll probably notice that you will increasingly gravitate to healthy foods and find it easier to stay away from problematic ones.

Again, we advise you, as much as possible, to avoid table sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, other forms of sugar, and foods made with them, including fruit juice, energy drinks, and commercial smoothies. Once you get out of the sugar habit, you'll likely find that such foods lose their hold over you and may taste overly sweet. And now that you know that such foods wreak havoc on your body's ability to burn fat, sabotaging your efforts at weight control, you have good reason to steer clear of them.

The same goes for foods made with white flour or other refined grains. White bread, pasta, potatoes, grits, and other starchy foods may now not taste as wonderful as you remembered them. In fact, much of the flavor and satisfaction you associated with such foods comes from the herbs, spices, and fats served with them—not the food itself. You can savor olive oil, butter, cream, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and a myriad of tasty condiments on salads, vegetables, meat, fish, and a variety of other foods without the downside of metabolic interference.

Does this mean you can never again enjoy another piece of Grandma's pumpkin pie or a bowl of pasta or a stack of pancakes with maple syrup? One should never say "never." We know as well as you do that it's darn hard to live on this planet and not be tempted to occasionally eat such foods. If your weight has stabilized and you aren't experiencing cravings, you might allow yourself an occasional exception to your low-carb diet. Just remember that such empty carbs take you out of fat-burning mode. On the other hand, there's a thin line between the "just one taste" mentality and carb creep. If you're regularly having a forkful of problem foods here and a spoonful there, you could be heading for trouble. It's not that you can't recover from the temporary metabolic shift away from fat burning given a few days of firm resolve, but you should understand what happens when you do. For many people, it's the equivalent of playing with fire. You've spent a lot of time and effort building your "metabolic house"—it would be a shame to burn it down.

Even with a relatively high ACE, you need to continue to be mindful of what you eat. Your approach may differ from how your best friend or spouse does it. For some people, the solution is to "just say no" to any carbs not on their personal list of suitable foods—basically a behavior pattern of avoidance. These individuals have decided that it just isn't worth trying out foods that aren't in their comfort zone. Others adopt this strategy after experimenting with how much and what kinds of carbs they can handle. Through hard-won experience, they've identified the line they cannot cross. For some people it's a distinct line, for others a buffer zone. The "distinct liners" behave the way a person who realizes that she/he can't handle alcohol does: experience leads to avoidance. People who find that they can be somewhat more flexible around foods with higher carb counts behave much like someone who can handle alcohol in moderation. To a large extent, the thickness of your line is likely to depend on your ACE. If you've found you do best at 40 grams of Net Carbs a day, you have a thin line and will probably find it wise to adopt a restrictive mind-set about stepping over it. But if your ACE is 90, you may have learned that your buffer zone can be a bit wider.

If experience tells you that you can handle it, knowing you can have a small portion of dessert at a dinner party or an occasional half bagel without endangering your hard-won goal weight is empowering. It's equally empowering to know that strict avoidance of anything on the other side of the "line" best protects your sense of control and physical well-being. In either case, you have to explore where you fit into this spectrum by carefully testing your response to different foods and backing away when you find that you've gone too far.

THE WAY WE WERE DESIGNED TO EAT

To conclude this portion of the book, we remind you once again that by controlling your carbohydrate intake, you make your body burn primarily body fat and dietary fat for energy. This, in turn, allows you to lose weight and later maintain that new weight, while also improving a host of health indicators. Known as the Atkins Edge, this metabolic adaptation also allows you to enjoy a steady source of energy, making excessive hunger and cravings for carbohydrate foods a thing of the past. With that tool at your disposal, permanent weight control is within your grasp.

In the preceding posts, I've pretty much excerpted the main instructional parts of the New Atkins book. I skipped a LOT of stuff like recipes and sidebars and case histories. I'm still going through the book to see what else might be essential to post for the sake of those whose time is limited and who need a quick answer, or who want to discuss the various elements.

KETONES: WHAT ARE THEY, AND WHAT DO THEY DO?

Antiseizure diets are often referred to as ketogenic diets because restricting carbohydrates requires that the body use an alternative to glucose (blood sugar) as the brain's primary fuel. In place of glucose, the liver uses fat molecules to make acetoacetate and hydroxybutyrate, two compounds known as ketones. The body adopts this same fuel strategy during a total fast of more than a few days. Ketones have gotten a bad name because they can rise to very high levels in individuals with uncontrolled type 1 diabetes, a state known as diabetic ketoacidosis. However, there is more than a tenfold difference between the ketone levels seen in ketoacidosis and those achieved with a carbohydrate-restricted diet, which we call nutritional ketosis. Equating the two is comparable to confusing a major flood with a gentle shower. Far from overwhelming the body's acid-base defenses, nutritional ketosis is a completely natural adaptation that is elegantly integrated into the body's energy strategy whenever carbs are restricted and fat becomes its primary fuel.

Laura, thanks for making all this information available.

I haven't read TAASOLCL or LWB yet so the following questions may be answered there. As you have I like to hear your thoughts on the following issues:

From the reading it seems like the authors have an upper limit for fat due to a too high calorie intake. Many other places on the Forum fat is recommended as the more the merrier (and that's how I prefer it to be :P) as this pushes the body towards fat metabolism faster. What do you think is recommendable?

Earlier in the post it is quoted that the necessary number of carbs needed is zero. This implies that we don't need vegetables at all. In TNAFANY (cute acronym) it is stressed several times that you need 12-15 g of carbs a day from foundation vegetables. Which of these two viewpoints do you think should carry the most weight?

Laura said:
EmeraldHope said:

I agree. I think they are trying to get past the censors by giving a nod to fiber...

Another factor that isn't usually made clear is that "carb content" in foods is measured by incinerating a sample in a bomb calorimeter. Our bodies do not incinerate foods, and the nutrient levels that we derive from food can be quite be different from what the calorimeter results suggest.

The only mainstream mention of this that I recall reading about has been the references to lowered "effective carbs" in higher fiber foods. The meaningfulness of nutritional data measurements is affected by both fiber content and by whether the food is cooked. Various corrections are applied to the nutritional data values, but there are too many possible variations to measure it all. This is the Atwater Convention that I posted about earlier.

So if the carb numbers seem to be off sometimes, just calibrate them using your own experience.

Many thanks for those excerpts Laura. Vegetarian Myth is on the way and The art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living will take a little longer, I ordered it through Amazon.uk 2 days ago. They have just introduced it for £18.63 (with delivery), although they can't say when they will be able to deliver it.

I will be cutting down on fats over the next few days though. Something is definitely messing up with my gut and I think it is my fat intake, whenever I increase it I get either bloated or get cramps. I managed to make my bloating disappear for the most part with Peppermint, Aloe Vera, Oxy Cleanse and Potassium, which has also normalized my bowel frequency, however, I've been getting abdominal cramps daily. This is something I haven't had for more then 2 years, when I stopped gluten and dairy.
This has started to affect me at work lately. The cramps have increased with my decrease in carbohydrates which also coincided with my increase in fat. I've been trying to figure out what's causing the upset and I sense that the problem is the fat.
I'll be cutting it down gradually and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom