"Life Without Bread"

anart said:
Gertrudes said:
I should start that shouldn't I? :rolleyes:
Regarding the abdominal cramps I sense it is the excess fat, they are always preceded by nausea which happens when I eat more fat. During the nausea period I feel an aversion to fat. I'll ease down on it for a while, I'll keep eating the fatty meats as I don't seem to have any problem with that, but moderating the amount of fat I add on top. I'll also test more carefully each fat type, each meat type, and my tolerance levels to fat intake, besides carb tolerance intake, of course.

You're using a digestive enzyme, correct? I couldn't eat what I'm eating without the digestive enzymes (ox bile plus a few other things). When I forget the enzymes, the fat doesn't get digested properly and it's very obvious.

Just today I was having a very high-fat dinner and at one point I felt that now was probably the time to stop. However, the greedy part of me that always wants more, was not content to stop. I debated internally for some time and decided that since the diet is also about learning when to stop eating, that I better restrain myself. So far so good. However, as I was doing the dishes I thought that I still have 5 g of carbs to go before I hit 20 so I mights as well have some coconut milk, which I find delicious. It was a craving for something more. I drank half can of coconut milk and as expected, it was delicious. About one minute later I became completely exhausted and my brain fogged over. Not a wise move :curse:

Yesterday during the afternoon I had a full can of coconut milk without any problem and I don't normally react to coconut. But here it seems like I drank it when I had reached my fat limit and that was the cause of the reaction.

I am waiting for the digestive enzymes to arrive and that may change things a bit. I am currently eating around 300-350 g of fat a day and that seems OK if I listen to my body regarding when to stop.

Thor said:
anart said:
You're using a digestive enzyme, correct? I couldn't eat what I'm eating without the digestive enzymes (ox bile plus a few other things). When I forget the enzymes, the fat doesn't get digested properly and it's very obvious.
I am waiting for the digestive enzymes to arrive and that may change things a bit. I am currently eating around 300-350 g of fat a day and that seems OK if I listen to my body regarding when to stop.

Have to agree with this. Since started taking digestive enzymes several days ago, it made a huge difference for the better.

anart said:

Lately I have been experimenting my meals both with and without enzymes to test for any intolerance to the supplement itself and couldn't feel a difference in my digestion with or without them. I'm also taking something for the liver.
Today I ate only fatty meat, no veggies, and my gut seems to have gotten a little worse, very sensitive and prone to cramps. But some extra vitamin C could have done it. I definitely have to start noting things down.
Maybe I need to back off as I did last year when fat was causing me skin reactions. After a few months I was good as new and was able to introduce fats without a problem.

Thor said:
Just today I was having a very high-fat dinner and at one point I felt that now was probably the time to stop. However, the greedy part of me that always wants more, was not content to stop. I debated internally for some time and decided that since the diet is also about learning when to stop eating, that I better restrain myself. So far so good. However, as I was doing the dishes I thought that I still have 5 g of carbs to go before I hit 20 so I mights as well have some coconut milk, which I find delicious. It was a craving for something more. I drank half can of coconut milk and as expected, it was delicious. About one minute later I became completely exhausted and my brain fogged over. Not a wise move :curse:

Have you read every word of the book excerpts I've posted? Cravings are a result of too many carbs. You have to just soldier through until ketosis kicks in and hold that state for at least two weeks before all carb cravings go away. (They do.)

Thor said:
Yesterday during the afternoon I had a full can of coconut milk without any problem and I don't normally react to coconut. But here it seems like I drank it when I had reached my fat limit and that was the cause of the reaction.

Carbs MIXED with higher fats is a deadly mix.

Thor said:

I'll be getting some more info posted in the next day or two when I get it scanned that will give you some precise info about how much protein and fat to eat in ratio. But do, please, re-read every bit of the excerpts from "New Atkins".

Gertrudes said:
Regarding the abdominal cramps I sense it is the excess fat, they are always preceded by nausea which happens when I eat more fat. During the nausea period I feel an aversion to fat. I'll ease down on it for a while, I'll keep eating the fatty meats as I don't seem to have any problem with that, but moderating the amount of fat I add on top. I'll also test more carefully each fat type, each meat type, and my tolerance levels to fat intake, besides carb tolerance intake, of course.

I know this too, with butter I'm fine, but not with the fat that is from the meat.

So I did another search for both oxbile and L-Carnitin and finally found something here in Germany:

First "Bilex" it is with oxbile and pancreatin and has no gluten, soy or milk additives:

http://www.amazon.de/Bilex-Ochsengalle-Pancreatin-Tabletten-bisher/dp/B0014E8PPS

And then I found 100% L-Carnitin pulver without additives:

_http://www.amino-factory.de/lcarnitinbasepulverkapselnnachfuellbeutelaminosaeuren/maxlcarnitinbasepulveraminosaeure.php

Gertrudes said:
anart said:

Lately I have been experimenting my meals both with and without enzymes to test for any intolerance to the supplement itself and couldn't feel a difference in my digestion with or without them. I'm also taking something for the liver.
Today I ate only fatty meat, no veggies, and my gut seems to have gotten a little worse, very sensitive and prone to cramps. But some extra vitamin C could have done it. I definitely have to start noting things down.
Maybe I need to back off as I did last year when fat was causing me skin reactions. After a few months I was good as new and was able to introduce fats without a problem.

For last 3 days, I stopped taking the every little fruit ( avacado ) and vegetable ( carrot) I am taking to stop cheating the quantity. Felt very tired. this is expected symptom. Got some ketone sticks and tested . yesterday it showed small ketone color and surprisingly today it says Traces of ketones, though I haven't taken any thing other than chicken/salmon/lamb liver. constipation hit hard , so taking lot of water , but constipation is still there and now my piles are inflammed ( due to constipation, I guess). I Haven't tried potassium or salt water and intestine calming down steps needs to be taken ( vitmain C + DMSO routine mentioned by Laura ).

Normally When I doesn't take digestive enzyme or ox bile I feel bloating sensations. Today Ran out of oxbile , but other digestive enzymes are available. Let us see how it will turn out.

Just so ya'll know, I did a few - like 3 - saltwater enemas to get things moving right at the transition from lots of veggies to mostly meat stage a few months ago. That's all I needed to get things sorted out. I think it was a question of all the veggie bacteria dying off and being expelled. After that, no more problems.

Keit said:
There is also something else concerning body odor. Don't think that have a bad breath (but who knows, really), but do have a slight garlicy body odor. I say garlicy because there was a period when ate a lot of garlic and it was affecting my body odor, so I am familiar with the smell. This time didn't eat garlic for a while, and yet there is this slight smell especially in the armpits, and even almost immediately after the shower. :-[

I experienced the same in the last weeks, but due to ketosis it sounds logical that it is connected, bad breath is then also common.

Same here, Keit. I thought it was from anxiety, but the smell is strange.

RedFox said:
Being at less than 25g of carbs a day was important to finally reaching a good energy level with no fatigue. I think for those struggling to reach a good energy level you need to look closely at the type of carbs you're eating....even if the vegetable is very low in carbs, could it be described as sugary?

As far as I understand it, it is still gets broken down to carbohydrates, means it adds to the gram list of carbohydrates.
[/quote]

I still include yams or sweet potatoes in the less than 25g a day. In one of your posts, you mentioned them as being acceptable carbs...yet they do taste sweet, and I have wondered about that. I also found L-Carnitine in liquid form for the leg cramps. But it is sweet, so now I am worried to take it. :mad:

Laura said:
Just so ya'll know, I did a few - like 3 - saltwater enemas to get things moving right at the transition from lots of veggies to mostly meat stage a few months ago. That's all I needed to get things sorted out. I think it was a question of all the veggie bacteria dying off and being expelled. After that, no more problems.

I think I experienced some kind of die-off too. Up until I drastically reduced my veggie intake, I had had fermentation problems for as long as I could remember, but I FINALLY found something that made a difference. I didn't need the salt water enemas, though -- I get the same effect without it.

I have reduced the digestive enzymes/bile salts from the amounts on the packages just to be careful. I started these supplements at the same time I cut back on veggies and I can't be sure what is causing what. The effects came quickly. Wow.

What about bile acids?
I was thinking about trying this product below,but acids and enzymes are not the same thing. So I`m not sure if I should get this one.

"Enhances Digestion and Absorption of Fats and Fat Soluble Nutrients
Bile Acid Factors™ consists of a mixture of highly concentrated bile acids (also called bile salts), mostly in the conjugated form, from the U.S. and/or New Zealand bovine/ovine bile.

Bile acids are produced in the liver and then stored and concentrated in the gallbladder, from which they enter the small intestines via the bile duct.
The major bile components in Bile Acid Factors are glycocholate and taurocholate, which are crucial for fat digestion and absorption.
In the small intestine, bile acids emulsify fats to aid their absorption.
Bile acid deficiency causes fat malabsorption and fatty stools (steatorrhea), indicated by diarrhea and floating stools. In addition, bile acid deficiency jeopardizes a person’s nutritional status by reducing the absorption of fat and fat-soluble nutrients.
Conjugated bile acids have been shown in clinical trials to be effective in improving fat absorption and nutritional status."

http://www.vitacost.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Bile-Acid-Factors/?bnPageBox=pp_alsoviewed&vbnpid=24368

Meager1 said:

What about bile acids?
I was thinking about trying this product below,but acids and enzymes are not the same thing. So I`m not sure if I should get this one.

Yes bile acids/bile salts/ox bile - this is what your'e looking for. Bile isn't an enzyme, it's just packaged into digestive support supplements with enzymes and sometimes gets confused with them.

Ok thanks. I`ll get it to have on hand, though I really haven`t felt the need for it yet, so far mostly meat and me, are getting along just fine.

It seems that I may be sabotaging myself with my free use of xylitol. I realized that I'm getting more carbs than I've been counting.

This product is less then 1 carb per gram.

TriMedica SlimSweet Natural Sweetener DescriptionSlimSweet...Made from fruit!
Tastes like sugar!
100% natural!
Low Glycemic!
SlimSweet is a great-tasting all-natural sweetener made from Lo Han, a carefully harvested fruit found only in China. SlimSweet is a healthy alternative with a naturally sweet taste. Now available in convenient single-serve packets or easy-to-use shakers.

http://www.vitacost.com/TriMedica-SlimSweet-Natural-Sweetener

Solar Mother said:
I still include yams or sweet potatoes in the less than 25g a day. In one of your posts, you mentioned them as being acceptable carbs...yet they do taste sweet, and I have wondered about that.

According to the Atkins carb counter, 1/2 of a medium baked sweet potato has 11.8g and 1/2 cup of a medium boiled sweet potato has 17.6g.

Meager1 said:
It seems that I may be sabotaging myself with my free use of xylitol. I realized that I'm getting more carbs than I've been counting.

This product is less then 1 carb per gram.

TriMedica SlimSweet Natural Sweetener DescriptionSlimSweet...Made from fruit!
Tastes like sugar!
100% natural!
Low Glycemic!
SlimSweet is a great-tasting all-natural sweetener made from Lo Han, a carefully harvested fruit found only in China. SlimSweet is a healthy alternative with a naturally sweet taste. Now available in convenient single-serve packets or easy-to-use shakers.

http://www.vitacost.com/TriMedica-SlimSweet-Natural-Sweetener

I'd skip it. Levulose is another name for fructose.
Not only that, but less than one gram of carb per gram of the sweetener doesn't really mean anything. It could be 0.9g of carb per 1g and still be considered "less than one gram of carb." I think this product is basically fruit sugar.

Back
Top Bottom