"Life Without Bread"

For those interested in bone broth, see this article here http://www.sott.net/articles/show/232028-Traditional-Bone-Broth-in-Modern-Health-and-Disease

Some really interesting information, especially on the healing/regenerative properties of it, and that it aids digestion so much. Including apparently the ability to help digest/protect against dairy/grains.

Do note though that as it is so nutritious bacteria will also love it, and grow quickly.

Thor said:
And it would be somewhat of a downer to let go of garlic and eggs as they constitute a large part of my diet. On a postive note, there is also hope that by doing the thorough testing I might be able to get to the bottom of this.

I've been on a 8-20 carb diet for three weeks and on two days I've felt highly energized but most of the time not. Then yesterday, I wasn't paying enough attention and ended at 28 carbs. I hope this doesn't put me back to square one...

I doubt 28g will throw you out of ketosis. As to the eggs/garlic, as you heal your intestines (I'm becoming convinces everyones intestines are more damaged than they realise) bad reactions to foods like this should decrease, so test a few months down the line and see what happens.

Kniall said:
As it came to the boil, I added in a whole minced fresh garlic, one chopped carrot, lots of black pepper to spice it up and lots of pink salt to strengthen the broth.

If you don't add salt until the broth is done, the water will pull out more nutrients because of osmosis. If the salt is added before, the water is already more saturated.

I just want to report that we managed our trip to Weimar in terms of eating though it wasn't always easy! I found that it is just best to tell people that you have a serious health condition and have to eat "this way". Otherwise, they are all over you to try to get you to eat whatever it is THEY like.

The hotel restaurant had breakfast buffet every morning with plenty of eggs, mounds of bacon, sausages, platters of cold cuts laid out, and of course, all the evil stuff that most people eat like cereal, sweets, juices, etc. It really was quite a spread.

So, we ate eggs and bacon every morning and I took an extra plate of cold meats back to our room with us for lunch.

Dinner was pretty easy: a pork filet and a dish of sauteed mushrooms or salmon. The one night I ate a salad, I regretted it. A couple of nights, I just ordered eggs and bacon/sausage brought to our room with a side plate of cold meats. I kept little squares of butter in a dish in our room and if I needed a snack, I spread a little butter on a piece of serrano ham and rolled it up to eat.

The market in the square had several booths where fresh pork was being roasted over coals so we got that once and had enough for two meals in our room.

We also took about 4 gallons of distilled water (had to buy 8 more liters because we ran out).

So, with our own water, eating nothing but meat and eggs, we did okay. None of the usual gastric or colonic problems that come with traveling. We stayed in ketosis, I think, and for the first time in my life, I lost a little weight while traveling instead of the other way around!

I took a container of scrambled eggs and another of sausage slices and bacon to eat on our trip home. We drove 14 hours straight on Thursday and only stopped to get gas. We left at 6:30 in the morning and got home at 8:30 in the evening on the dot. I handled that drive pretty well, whereas before, I would have been in bed for a week after such an ordeal.

So, traveling can be done. I just wasn't so hyper about whether or not there were nitrates in the meat or whatever. I was more concerned with keeping carbs down and fats up.

Laura said:
I just want to report that we managed our trip to Weimar in terms of eating though it wasn't always easy! I found that it is just best to tell people that you have a serious health condition and have to eat "this way". Otherwise, they are all over you to try to get you to eat whatever it is THEY like.

yes they do and they then often say how unhealthy it is etc. and of course how you should it.... :nuts:
maybe I should say that I have a serious health problem and that I have to eat this way too, because otherwise they can get pretty agresiv/pushy into forcing you to eat their "healthy" way.

Pashalis said:
Laura said:

yes they do and they then often say how unhealthy it is etc. and of course how you should it.... :nuts:
maybe I should say that I have a serious health problem and that I have to eat this way too, because otherwise they can get pretty agresiv/pushy into forcing you to eat their "healthy" way.

Yup. So, it's externally considerate to make life easy for them... so I just said I was diabetic and had celiac disease and lactose intolerance. That pretty much covered everything and most people don't know about celiac anyway. They were all very understanding, and it made it possible for them to feel superior to poor me which was fine with me.

Laura said:
Pashalis said:
Laura said:

Yup. So, it's externally considerate to make life easy for them... so I just said I was diabetic and had celiac disease and lactose intolerance. That pretty much covered everything and most people don't know about celiac anyway. They were all very understanding, and it made it possible for them to feel superior to poor me which was fine with me.

I'm experiencing something similar since a long time, cause of diabetes, people don't question me hardly why I'm eating that way, they simply accept it. Where I always have to state that it is my choice, to eat that way and not cause I'm sick. ;) Well, people are projecting then (cause of my sickness), which in this case is really helpful.

dugdeep said:
It's back to very low carb today (only had half an onion, a clove of garlic and some spices in some chicken soup for lunch). After this experience, I realize how easy it is to break out of ketosis and how a moment of carelessness can cost me. It'll be interesting to see how quickly I can transition back.

Despite the problems you're going through I think you've made some pretty interesting observations, and these will probably be useful for you in the future. I hope you can transition back quickly :thup:

Laura said:
We left at 6:30 in the morning and got home at 8:30 in the evening on the dot. I handled that drive pretty well, whereas before, I would have been in bed for a week after such an ordeal.

So even with all the nitrates and everything in the meats (which were also probably not grass-fed) the trip was still a major success. That's exciting! Great to hear, Laura!

Gawan said:
Laura said:
Pashalis said:
Laura said:

I'm experiencing something similar since a long time, cause of diabetes, people don't question me hardly why I'm eating that way, they simply accept it. Where I always have to state that it is my choice, to eat that way and not cause I'm sick. ;) Well, people are projecting then (cause of my sickness), which in this case is really helpful.

I think the mentioned strategy makes sense when traveling/meeting people you don't know - what I find the hardest, is getting people I do know to accept it as the comments will take no end - in particular since I've dropped a couple of kilos and there wasn't too much to begin with :)

RedFox said:
...snip...

I doubt 28g will throw you out of ketosis. As to the eggs/garlic, as you heal your intestines (I'm becoming convinces everyones intestines are more damaged than they realise) bad reactions to foods like this should decrease, so test a few months down the line and see what happens.

Alas, I am not in ketosis yet. I was experiencing the energy and feeling of clearheadedness on two separate days but other than that I'm muddling along. Apart from yesterday and today, I've been been below 20 g of carbs for 2,5 weeks and waiting for the breakthrough. However, I haven't received the acetyl-l-carnitine yet, so that may make a difference. Apart from that, I guess it's just give it some more time to let the body transition.

What I do notice, however, is when I have eaten a very fat meal I feel very satisfied and both lazily energized and relaxed. After a while it is as if the relaxed part gets the upper hand.

As to the gut and stopping with gut-healing supplements (Kyolic and probiotics) I am think I will wait until firmly in ketosis to stop taking these to make sure that the gut has properly healed due to the new diet.

Good point on reintroducing/testing items again - that makes the interim much easier to endure :).

Thor said:
Alas, I am not in ketosis yet. I was experiencing the energy and feeling of clearheadedness on two separate days but other than that I'm muddling along. Apart from yesterday and today, I've been been below 20 g of carbs for 2,5 weeks and waiting for the breakthrough. However, I haven't received the acetyl-l-carnitine yet, so that may make a difference. Apart from that, I guess it's just give it some more time to let the body transition...

Are you sure? If you aren't running on fat after that long, what are you running on? I have been under 20 g for going on 4 weeks, and I hardly feel like I am running on rocket fuel. (Or maybe I do feel like I had been drinking rocket fuel. :)) But I have lost quite a few pounds and I am pretty sure I am burning fat.

Hesper said:
Laura said:
We left at 6:30 in the morning and got home at 8:30 in the evening on the dot. I handled that drive pretty well, whereas before, I would have been in bed for a week after such an ordeal.

So even with all the nitrates and everything in the meats (which were also probably not grass-fed) the trip was still a major success. That's exciting! Great to hear, Laura!

I second that. Excellent news! :thup:
To add, something that may be useful for future travels (although it may be hard to transport without refrigeration?) bone broth (specifically the gelatin I think) has a protective effect on your intestines. Maybe just having some before/after travels would help add some protective/restorative effects.
See the link a few posts back.

Megan said:
Are you sure? If you aren't running on fat after that long, what are you running on? I have been under 20 g for going on 4 weeks, and I hardly feel like I am running on rocket fuel. (Or maybe I do feel like I had been drinking rocket fuel. :)) But I have lost quite a few pounds and I am pretty sure I am burning fat.

I agree, Thor - it's almost certain that you're in ketosis at this point. Perhaps you were expecting a more dramatic change than actually happens? I think the reason my energy shift was so dramatic was because I simply had very low energy that I took as normal since I've always only burned sugar. That has stabilized, by the way, I think because my body has gotten used to the higher quality fuel.

RedFox said:
For those interested in bone broth, see this article here http://www.sott.net/articles/show/232028-Traditional-Bone-Broth-in-Modern-Health-and-Disease

Thanks for that Redfox, makes me hungry just by reading it.
I have been finding hard to find bones though. The last butcher wasn't very helpful, so I'll have to keep searching.

Laura said:
So, we ate eggs and bacon every morning and I took an extra plate of cold meats back to our room with us for lunch.

Maybe I missed it elsewhere, but does that mean that you are no longer egg intolerant? If so, that is a pretty impressive improvement! Great news :)

Thor said:
I think the mentioned strategy makes sense when traveling/meeting people you don't know - what I find the hardest, is getting people I do know to accept it as the comments will take no end - in particular since I've dropped a couple of kilos and there wasn't too much to begin with :)

I was also worried about that same issue Thor, but you know, I have been pleasantly surprised. I have been saying to everyone that I have been recently diagnosed with IBS (which is actually true, but I would have said something similar anyway), and that I can't have carbs nor dairy, gluten, sugar, and all evil foods because that messes up with my gut. It has been a blessing, no one questions any thing. They can have their meals in peace, and so can I.
Some have also commented on my weight drop (and I'm also skinny), but when I tell them that I feel much better and that all the underlying issues I've had for a lifetime are gone, they tend to easily accept my explanation. For example, the fact that I no longer have symptoms I considered as normal such as abdominal cramps, fatigue, foggy head, can be used as a good explanation for having changed diet. Your experience is certainly different from mine, but maybe try telling people that you are trying to heal some gut issues, or which ever issues you find appropriate for your case, and that your diet seems to be helping? Not sure if you find this feasible in your case, but fwiw.

anart said:
I think the reason my energy shift was so dramatic was because I simply had very low energy that I took as normal since I've always only burned sugar. That has stabilized, by the way, I think because my body has gotten used to the higher quality fuel.

It's also what happened to me. An initial sudden energy rush that gradually stabilized.

anart said:
Megan said:

I agree, Thor - it's almost certain that you're in ketosis at this point. Perhaps you were expecting a more dramatic change than actually happens? I think the reason my energy shift was so dramatic was because I simply had very low energy that I took as normal since I've always only burned sugar. That has stabilized, by the way, I think because my body has gotten used to the higher quality fuel.

Anart and Megan, thanks for your comments and you have a very good point. Since I had very few carbs and more than 80% of my energy came from fat, it is not likely that the energy was protein converted to carbs either.

I kept thinking that until I felt like the Duracell rabbit I wasn't in ketosis - maybe that's not true for all. I was hoping to feel more energized or some sort of tangible change along the lines of what some forum members have posted. It's what is referred to in The New Atkins as the Atkins Edge but so far the edge seems a bit dull, to tell the truth. Hopefully, I'll notice changes further along the way.

I don't feel fatigued as I did to begin with and that's a good thing. Also, since I've lost a couple of pounds, where none seemed possible to lose, that could point towards burning hidden fat.

I haven't had any cravings since the first week of low-carb and even then they were not very strong.

Yesterday and today I had 28 g of carbs and I was furious at myself for having let down my vigilance - now - thanks to your posts - I feel a little stupid a lot relived :D I think I'll stay at this level for a week and then increase gradually to find my CLG (Carbohydrate Level for Gaining :))

Gertrudes said:
Thor said:

I was also worried about that same issue Thor, but you know, I have been pleasantly surprised. I have been saying to everyone that I have been recently diagnosed with IBS (which is actually true, but I would have said something similar anyway), and that I can't have carbs nor dairy, gluten, sugar, and all evil foods because that messes up with my gut. It has been a blessing, no one questions any thing. They can have their meals in peace, and so can I.
Some have also commented on my weight drop (and I'm also skinny), but when I tell them that I feel much better and that all the underlying issues I've had for a lifetime are gone, they tend to easily accept my explanation. For example, the fact that I no longer have symptoms I considered as normal such as abdominal cramps, fatigue, foggy head, can be used as a good explanation for having changed diet. Your experience is certainly different from mine, but maybe try telling people that you are trying to heal some gut issues, or which ever issues you find appropriate for your case, and that your diet seems to be helping? Not sure if you find this feasible in your case, but fwiw.

anart said:
I think the reason my energy shift was so dramatic was because I simply had very low energy that I took as normal since I've always only burned sugar. That has stabilized, by the way, I think because my body has gotten used to the higher quality fuel.

It's also what happened to me. An initial sudden energy rush that gradually stabilized.

Gertrudes, that's good to know and also a good idea. If at all, I feel a positive change in my chronic back condition which is pain every day, I know that everyone will understand that as a reason for change of diet.

I think what frustrates me is that people can't just accept that I do this because I want to do this and let that be reason enough. Well, such is the power of programming...

Back
Top Bottom