"Life Without Bread"

Aragorn said:
Gandalf said:
Thanks again Thor.

From the link, we can read ;

The energy yield per gram is as follows: Carbohydrate - 4 Calories, Fats - 9 Calories and Protein - 4 Calories.

So for 1 gram of carb we have 4 calories. (1Wc = 4 calories or 4Ec)

And you say :

Ec = Energy from carbs = 4Wc
which to my understanding means that 1 energy equals 4 grams of carbs.

So if Energy is the same thing as Calories, the two equations are not similar ?

Am I confusing energy and Calories :huh:

I think what you're confusing is that the noted 'Ec' is just the total amount of energy (in Calories) produced by the carbs, there's no amount "attached" to the 'Ec'. You could think it as: Ec-total[Calories]=4[Calories/gram]*Wc[gram]. Multiplying the units on the right side of the equation gives you Calories: Calories/gram*gram=Calories.

It would have been clearer if Thor had included the units in the equations, osit. ;)

Aragorn, you are entirely right - both with regard to explanation and comment on unit inclusion :). I need to be a little more thorough next time...

Bluestar said:
Thor said:
First we need a little notation. Let

Wp = the grams of protein you eat in a day
Wc = the grams of carbs you eat in a day
Wf = the grams of fat you eat in a day

Wkg = your body weight in kg's

Bearing in mind that the energy derived from one g of fat is twice that of one g of protein and also one g of carbs, and shifting things around a bit we get:

Wf = 7/6 x (Wp + Wc)

Thank you Thor. This has helped very much. I spent a half a day trying to go over how much fat I need to eat. Being my math is very, very rusty, I was hitting a dead end.

From this formula at 50kg body weight I get the following results:
Fat = 111g
Protein = 99g
carbs = 20g

The fat to protein ratio looks high...? Thought it was a 2:1 ratio...? Thanks again

Bluestar,
Yes, I spent some time (a lot) mulling over that same question. You should use the revised formula, as I had used incorrect values to begin with. Consequently, the formula should read:

Wf = 1.04 x (Wp + Wc)

As I understand it the 2:1 ratio is roughly correct when seen from an energy perspective but not from a weight perspective. But as my scale weighs grams rather than kilo Joule I find it more practical to use grams.

What I am trying to do is:
- eat mostly fatty meat, eggs and cruciferous veggies, salad, herbs
- top it up with saturated and monounsaturated fat (olive oil), soaking the veggies or just plainly eating the fat "raw"
- keep the carbs down to about 20 g/ day (mostly in form of the above mentioned veggies, maybe small amount of nuts now and again)

With that I should be well within the recommended range without really using a scale, which is often not very practical. I was actually surprised yesterday, when I bought a Black Angus steak and looked up the nutritional information: Carbs 0, Fat 16 and Protein 22 g/100g, which is much less protein than I anticipated.

According to the Thor-formula for my 75kg weight this would amount to:
- Carbs 20 g
- Protein 150 g = 2 g/ kg body weight
- Fat 177g minimum per day

And consuming more fat just brings you closer to the Inuit diet of 15% protein per day ... which probably is even better ...

A minor update. Yesterday I needed to rest again in the afternoon and fall asleep and after I woke up I had a pretty strong nauseated feeling (I also ate some pistachios before the feeling occurred), it was gone away after some time. Nonetheless some hours later, I had to vomit again (some time after a poultry and butter meal). Sorry to go a bit into details, but not my hole stomach was emptied only one tiny bit was released, which could have been fat imo. Similar to the experience I had last week (and actually it was no rancid butter as I found out), where it seems that the too much fat had to get out of my body. As I was nauseated, I couldn't think of any fat and meat, which made the situation even worse, I don't know if this subjective feeling shows really the culprit why I felt sick, but it could be. So I ordered right away the digestive enzymes, which is finally possible cause I got some money. :D

Gawan said:
A minor update. Yesterday I needed to rest again in the afternoon and fall asleep and after I woke up I had a pretty strong nauseated feeling (I also ate some pistachios before the feeling occurred), it was gone away after some time. Nonetheless some hours later, I had to vomit again (some time after a poultry and butter meal). Sorry to go a bit into details, but not my hole stomach was emptied only one tiny bit was released, which could have been fat imo. Similar to the experience I had last week (and actually it was no rancid butter as I found out), where it seems that the too much fat had to get out of my body. As I was nauseated, I couldn't think of any fat and meat, which made the situation even worse, I don't know if this subjective feeling shows really the culprit why I felt sick, but it could be. So I ordered right away the digestive enzymes, which is finally possible cause I got some money. :D

Hi Gawan, not sure if this'd help, but have you maybe tried ghee or duck fat instead of butter?

Gawan said:
A minor update. Yesterday I needed to rest again in the afternoon and fall asleep and after I woke up I had a pretty strong nauseated feeling (I also ate some pistachios before the feeling occurred), it was gone away after some time.

For me, nausea is mostly connected to rancid (unsaturated) fats. One evening last winter I ate a nut mix and went to sleep 2 hours later. I woke up and felt very bad, very nauseated. I didn't have to vomit but I was very close.

Now recently I tried to eat a teaspoon of line seed oil (I kept it in the fridge at -18°C so that it doesn't oxidize so fast). Bad idea: it brought me nausea and I couldn't think about fat for a whole day. The smell wouldn't go away from my nose and hands. Yuck!

So maybe the clue here is rancid unsaturated fats? If you don't eat nuts directly from the bushes/trees, they are rancid to a certain degree for sure.

But how to get so much fat?

As I mentioned earlier, I can't drink warm, liquid fat. Yuck! But I found out that refrigerated lard, slowly eaten with a teaspoon, with a pinch of salt on each spoon, works best for me. And a nice way to get salt too!

Data said:
As I mentioned earlier, I can't drink liquid fat. Yuck! But I found out that refrigerated lard, slowly eaten with a spoon, with a pinch of salt on each spoon, is delicious! And a nice way to get salt too!

I didn't know you can just eat that ''raw''? I'mma try to do the same with duck fat, as my fat intake is not as much as it should be.

I wonder if our teeth in the very past was better for chewing fatty meat, because it's a bit hard for me. And I don't like the texture so much of it...

Enaid said:
But I've tested two types of nuts for a snack and didn't tolerate them,

Me too. They cause me tiredness, and pains. Too bad!

SOTT just published a very good article today about the need for high quality sodium chloride in our diets. The author spends some time discussing the need for a complementary amount of potassium in the diet.
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/232064-Salt-Is-It-Really-the-Problem-It-Is-Made-Out-to-Be-

I was made aware of the importance of a proper K/Na ratio while working for the largest manufacturer of vitamin C supplements in America. The company founder had worked with Linus Pauling and Abram Hoffer to formulate his unique mineral ascorbate C supplements. They had impressed upon him the vital need for a rebalancing of the potassium levels in the sodium heavy western diet. As a result, all of the company's products had liberal quantities of bioavailable potassium acsorbates in them. This may be one factor in why they were so successful with the public.

The conclusions of Pauling, Hoffer and Stone were that excessive sodium, relative to potassium inhibited cellular mitochondrial function. This was a common situation in the heart and cancer patients who Pauling was observing his early research with C. He concluded that a refined salt heavy North American diet lacking in potassium rich food sources was the imbalance culprit. He was probably spot on.

I searched for a good overview article on this subject and found this, from naturalnews.com. It summarizes the topic nicely:

Balance Sodium with Potassium for Good Health
Monday, October 20, 2008 by: Barbara L. Minton

Learn more: _http://www.naturalnews.com/024539_potassium_sodium_diet.html#ixzz1SdNSvt52

(NaturalNews) Nature is all about balance. The human body, being naturally created, reflects this principle in every small aspect as well as in its main orchestration, the constant search for homeostasis. Yet mainstream doctors tend to overlook the primal theme of balance. They like to view each body part or system in isolation. They don't hear the symphony because they have chosen to examine only one note of the music. This approach produces some strange conclusions, one of which is that sodium is the culprit in hypertension, diabetes and heart disease.

The sodium-potassium connection

Sodium and potassium are essential dietary minerals and electrolytes, meaning that they dissociate into ions (charged particles) in solution, making them capable of conducting electricity. Normal body functioning depends on the right regulation of sodium and potassium both inside and outside of cells.

Sodium is the principal ion in the fluid outside of cells, while potassium is the principal ion in the fluid inside of cells. Sodium concentrations are more than ten times lower inside than outside cells, and potassium concentrations are about 30 times higher inside than outside cells. The concentration differences between potassium and sodium across cell membranes create an electrochemical gradient known as the membrane potential. A large portion of energy in the body is dedicated to maintaining sodium/potassium concentration gradients, underscoring the importance of the balance between sodium and potassium in sustaining life. Tight control of cell membrane potential is critical for heart function, as well as nerve impulse transmission and muscle contraction.

In Western industrialized countries, the daily intake of sodium chloride (salt) is about three times higher than the daily intake of potassium. The balance or equilibrium so necessary for these minerals is not achievable through the typical dietary choices of Westerners. Studies are showing that the relative imbalance of this ratio in the Western world is positively correlated with hypertension, heart disease and diabetes.

Studies support the need for a balanced relationship between sodium and potassium

In a report from the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC, published in the journal Kidney International, researchers noted that chronic low potassium levels have been associated with a variety of lung disorders, kidney disease, and hypertension in both adults and children. However, the effects of potassium depletion on the rapidly growing infant have not been well studied. They designed their study to determine the effects of severe chronic dietary potassium depletion on blood pressure and kidney structural changes in young rats. Rats were fed either a control or a potassium deficient diet for 14 to 21 days. At the end of the period, blood pressure and renal activity was assessed. Then the remaining rats in each group were switched to a high salt diet or were continued on their respective control or potassium deficient diets for an additional six days.

Results indicated that the potassium depleted animals had significant growth retardation, kidney damage and lung injury. At week 2, potassium depleted rats had higher systolic blood pressure than control rats. Switching to a high salt, normal potassium diet resulted in further elevation of systolic blood pressure in the potassium depleted rats, which persisted even after the serum potassium levels were normalized.

Researchers concluded that dietary potassium deficiency per se increased blood pressure in young rats and induced salt sensitivity that may be involved in at least two different pathogenic pathways.

In another study, controlled trials including 2,609 people assessed the effects of increased potassium intake on high blood pressure. Increased intake resulted in small but significant blood pressure reductions in people with normal blood pressure, and larger reductions in people with hypertension. The blood pressure lowering effect was more pronounced in individuals with higher salt intakes.

A clinical trial involving 150 Chinese men and women with mild hypertension found that moderate supplementation of potassium resulted in a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure compared to controls. Researchers noted that the routine diets eaten by the participants were high in sodium and low in potassium.

A study from New York Presbyterian Hospital-Cornell Medical Center reported in Hypertension investigated the role of intracellular potassium and other ions in hypertension and diabetes. They concluded that potassium depletion is a common feature of essential hypertension and type 2 diabetes, treatment of hypertension at least partially restores potassium levels to normal, and fasting steady-state potassium levels are closely linked to calcium and magnesium homeostasis.

In a review of literature at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, reported in Clinical Experimental Hypertension, researchers reported that evidence from animal experimentation, observational epidemiology, and randomized clinical trials strongly supports efforts to change nutritional factors in desirable directions, especially to lower dietary salt and increase potassium.

Clearly sodium is only one side of a two-sided equation. It is as necessary to body functioning as is potassium, but must be in balance with potassium to be effective. The traditional Western diet is high is sodium and low in potassium. Being told to reduce the amount of sodium consumed fails to acknowledge the need to raise potassium consumption until both minerals are balanced and equilibrium is reached in the fluid inside and outside of the cells.

Potassium and stroke

Several epidemiological studies have found that increased potassium intake is associated with decreased risk of stroke. A prospective study of 43,000 men found that men in the top 1/5th of dietary potassium intake were only 62% as likely to have a stroke as those in the lowest 1.5th of potassium intake. This inverse association was also seen in men with hypertension.

A prospective study of 5,600 men and women older than 65 years found that low potassium intake was associated with significantly increased incidence of stoke.

Potassium and osteoporosis

Cross sectional studies have reported significant positive associations between dietary potassium intake and bone mineral density in a wide age range of both pre-menopausal and postmenopausal women and elderly men. Bone mineral density was significantly associated with higher levels of potassium intake.

Potassium rich foods such as fruits and vegetables are also rich in precursors to bicarbonate ions, which buffer acids in the body. Our Western diet tends to be highly acidic. When the quantity of bicarbonate ion intake is insufficient to maintain normal pH, the body will mobilize alkalinizing minerals from bone to neutralize acids consumed in the diet and generated by metabolism. Increased consumption of fruits and vegetables reduces the net acid content of the diet and preserves calcium and other minerals in the bones.

A study of 18 postmenopausal women found that potassium supplementation decreased urinary acid and calcium excretion, resulting in increased biomarkers of bone formation and decreased biomarkers of bone re-absorption. Studies have found that supplementing with potassium citrate decreased urinary acid excretion and biomarkers of bone re-absorption in postmenopausal women and ameliorated the effects of a high-salt diet on bone metabolism.

Potassium and kidney stones

Increased dietary potassium intake has been found to decrease urinary calcium excretion, a component in the development of kidney stones. Potassium deprivation has been found to increase urinary calcium excretion. A prospective study of more than 45,000 men followed for years found that those with high potassium intake were only half as likely to develop kidney stones as men whose intake was low. In a similar study involving women, those ingesting the highest amounts of potassium were found to be 65% less likely to develop kidney stones.

More actions of potassium in the body

Potassium regulates the beating of your heart. If you experience irregular heart beats, known as arrhythmias, your potassium levels may be low. Potassium also controls muscle functioning. It is the mineral that directs the transfer of nutrients through the cell membranes, a function that decreases with aging accounting for the circulatory damage, lethargy and weakness of old people.

Other signs of potassium deficiency

Warning symptoms of potassium deficiency include abnormally dry skin, acne, chills, cognitive impairment, constipation, depression, diarrhea, diminished reflexes, edema, nervousness, excessive thirst, glucose intolerance, growth impairment, hypoglycemia, high cholesterol levels, insomnia, low blood pressure, muscular fatigue, headaches, salt retention and hypersensitivity to salt, and respiratory distress. Hormone fluctuation may also result in reduced levels of potassium.

Use of diuretics or laxatives lowers potassium levels. Caffeine, tobacco and heavy sugar consumption reduce potassium absorption. Mental and physical stress can also lead to low potassium levels.

Sources of potassium

High amounts of potassium are found in fruits and vegetables, particularly potatoes, plums, prunes, raisins, bananas, tomatoes and tomato juice, orange juice, artichokes, lima beans, acorn squash, spinach, nuts and seeds, apricots, avocado and garlic. Other foods with substantial amounts of potassium are fish, meat, poultry, whole grains, yogurt, bee pollen, dulse, spirulina and chlorella.

Potassium is contained in multi-vitamin preparations although it may not be easily available to the body in this form. Potassium supplements are readily available as different salts such as potassium chloride, citrate, gluconate, aspartate, and orotate.

Your total potassium intake should equal your salt intake. You don't want to exceed this ratio with potassium any more than you do with salt. If you choose to use a potassium supplement, consider the amount of potassium it provides in the context of what you are eating that day. It's probably wise not to exceed dosage indicated on the bottle unless you have a blood test to document a seriously low potassium level.

Sources:

Phyllis and James Balch, Prescription for Nutritional Healing.

Earl Mindell, Vitamin Bible for the 21st century

Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University

Learn more: _http://www.naturalnews.com/024539_potassium_sodium_diet.html#ixzz1SdLGOs35

With the Paleo Diet we should be getting enough K from meat, fish and poultry, but if it does not balance out sodium intake perhaps supplementing should be considered. I was going to suggest one of the excellent potassium supplements from Alacer (they had found a way to stabilize the K ascorbate in tablets), but just found out that after the death of the entrepreneurial chemist and founder of the company, all of their tablet supplements have been discontinued at the behest of the bean counters, in their manic quest for bottom line profits. That leaves us with only their potassium rich Emergen-C products, but they are sweetened with fructose. ... What to do?

The Linus Pauling Institute:

_http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/bioavailability.html
Potassium ascorbate: The minimal requirement for potassium is thought to be between 1.6 and 2.0 grams/day. Fruits and vegetables are rich sources of potassium, so a diet rich in fruits and vegetables may provide as much as 8 to 11 grams/day. Acute and potentially fatal potassium toxicity (hyperkalemia) is thought to occur at a daily intake of about 18 grams of potassium/day in adults. Individuals on potassium-sparing diuretics and those with renal insufficiency (kidney failure) should avoid significant intake of potassium ascorbate. The purest form of commercially available potassium ascorbate contains 0.175 grams (175 mg) of potassium per gram of ascorbic acid.

So we are obviously walking a fine line in supplemental dosing of potassium. Mega dosing is not an option. I found a company which sells a proper potassium ascorbate. I say proper because potassium ascorbate is unstable once reacted and has a very short shelf life. It should be consumed as soon as possible. This product uses the method developed by Alacer; ascorbic acid and potassium carbonate in powder form, which is mixed with water, fizzes, reacts the ascorbate and is consumed on the spot. The ingredients are ascorbic acid and the potassium carbonate only... no sweeteners or other additives. I think that this likely much more bioavailable than other tablet-type commercial supplemental forms of potassium. I am ordering some from these folks today, since I may be exhibiting some, so-far, mild symptoms of what could be K/Na imbalance. I eat a lot of Himalaya salt.
_http://www.nutri.com/index.cfm/product/16/potassium-ascorbate.cfm?CFID=49087708&CFTOKEN=72141767

Data said:
As I mentioned earlier, I can't drink warm, liquid fat. Yuck!

Are you able to eat hot broths? Meat juices and fat in salty water? I find this is the easiest way for me to get extra fats.

A quick update on some observations. I was born with brain damage (starved of oxygen) that appeared to effect my motor cortex. This left me with a tremor and problems controlling fine motor co-ordination. Writing and catching a ball where particularly problematic.
Mostly this has been under control/not noticeable for years, but generally left me not that good at physically skilled tasks (without a LOT of concentration/energy used) - especially sports that require accuracy.
Well I had a causal game of darts and crazy golf (putting) this weekend and by the end of it my aim for both was a hundred times better than its ever been. Those with me said I was cheating at the golf because I kept getting holes in one. :lol:
I was also able to hit whatever I was aiming for on the dart board within a few centimetres consistently. I have never been able to do that before. My aim improved a few centimetres every shot I took.

It seems some deeply fundamental neurological systems are changing in me at the moment. :)

I've also noticed recently that my skin is shedding quite a bit. Seems my entire body may be going through a regeneration/renewal.

Hi Rabelais,

We've been discussing this in the Life Without Bread thread: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.0.html

The best thing is to have meat broths or a bit of Himalayan salts in water to make up for the loss. Here is more info about it:

Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/230561-Tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-Pt-II

Traditional Bone Broth in Modern Health and Disease
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/232028-Traditional-Bone-Broth-in-Modern-Health-and-Disease

Broth sounds good to me.

RedFox said:
Data said:
As I mentioned earlier, I can't drink warm, liquid fat. Yuck!

Are you able to eat hot broths? Meat juices and fat in salty water? I find this is the easiest way for me to get extra fats.

A quick update on some observations. I was born with brain damage (starved of oxygen) that appeared to effect my motor cortex. This left me with a tremor and problems controlling fine motor co-ordination. Writing and catching a ball where particularly problematic.
Mostly this has been under control/not noticeable for years, but generally left me not that good at physically skilled tasks (without a LOT of concentration/energy used) - especially sports that require accuracy.
Well I had a causal game of darts and crazy golf (putting) this weekend and by the end of it my aim for both was a hundred times better than its ever been. Those with me said I was cheating at the golf because I kept getting holes in one. :lol:
I was also able to hit whatever I was aiming for on the dart board within a few centimetres consistently. I have never been able to do that before. My aim improved a few centimetres every shot I took.

It seems some deeply fundamental neurological systems are changing in me at the moment. :)

I've also noticed recently that my skin is shedding quite a bit. Seems my entire body may be going through a regeneration/renewal.

Redfox, this is extremely interesting and really underlines the potential of the changes associated with this diet. Please post further development!

Another thing that is of great importance to me is how this diet affects inflammation and chronic pain. It is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties, once the body has switched to metabolizing fat.

Do you have a chronic pain condition and if so, how has this been affected by the diet? I am very interested in hearing people's experiences with regard to inflammation/chronic pain and this diet. Particularly, if the chronic pain was not eliminated through the elimination diet. I write this as I am hoping to get a glimmer of hope with regard to my own back pain.

A great tip I have found for getting more fat into the diet is Sauce Bearnaise. I can easily eat 4 egg yolks and 100 g of ghee with a steak or hamburger of 200 g, which can otherwise be hard to attain. Another great addition to my kitchen is aioli, which is basically garlic mayonnaise made without the mustard. I use a mix of organic olive and avocado oils as pure olive oil can have a bitter taste. I apply generous scoops of aioli to each bite of broccoli or cauliflower and it tastes great :P

Thor said:
Another thing that is of great importance to me is how this diet affects inflammation and chronic pain. It is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties, once the body has switched to metabolizing fat.

Do you have a chronic pain condition and if so, how has this been affected by the diet? I am very interested in hearing people's experiences with regard to inflammation/chronic pain and this diet. Particularly, if the chronic pain was not eliminated through the elimination diet. I write this as I am hoping to get a glimmer of hope with regard to my own back pain.

The diet is exceptionally good at getting rid of inflammation/pain. I suffer from chronic low level pain/fatigue (along with a few other things, but this is the main manifestation), and it has been slowly improving.
It is still quite a tricky thing to nail down all the courses, but this diet seems to provide a really good foundation.
Some things to consider (on this diet) if inflammation is still persisting. Are you get enough salt/potassium/water? Are the digestive enzymes causing problems (I stopped taking them and it helped balance my digestion/stop the diarrhoea)? Are you getting enough fat/not eating too much protein?

It may take some time for your intestines to heal, but this diet has been the only one where they actually feel fully healed and my hay fever type symptoms have been reducing daily. This last week its been virtually non-existent.

Other things to consider eggs, olives and garlic have caused problems (inflammation) for me in the past. Also some meats (such as beef) may also be causing inflammation. Ghee makes me nauseous (still not sure why that is, perhaps its because its not organic), ironically so does goose fat that is not liquid at room temperature (perhaps its how its processed?). Coconut oil seems to be either really good for or really inflammatory for some people.

So sticking to fatty pork/bacon/lamb and using lard or goose/duck fat may be worth a try if inflammation persists. Basically test everything. For me I went down to having just fatty pork chops for a week (with added salt/goose fat, cooked in water in a crock pot in the oven - it turns into a pork chop broth), pork belly meat is also very good (have just found a supplier of organic belly meat!). This helped give me a base line to test things from.
At the very least try working you way down slowly to about 20g of carbs a day max, as that helped the most for me.

Other factors in persistent inflammation (on this diet) beyond those above that I have found are stress, lack of proper sleep in total darkness, and not regularly practising EE. And (interestingly) too much negative dissociative behaviour (TV etc) will inflame me.

I have a couple of questions and forgive me if they have already been answered as I'm still not even halfway through the thread! I bought Himalayan salt today and it's white! Trying to find comparisons on the internet turned up very poor results- but I did get the impression that the less white a salt is, the higher the mineral content. The packaging guarantees there are no additives and it has not been bleached but unfortunately does not give the mineral content. I have the option to exchange it for Celtic Sea Salt which does give the mineral content. It's greyish in colour and has a much higher potassium to sodium ratio. I can't remember exactly but I think it was maybe 4 times more potassium. The Celtic salt is also half the price! Any suggestions?
This kind of leads into my second question. I always add a lot of salt to my food so would it still be advisable to drink the teaspoon of salt in water throughout the day? Also, is a potassium supplement still advised? I looked at the label of my unrefined sea salt today and was shocked to see it contained 39 gms of sodium and zero gms of any other mineral which is why I raced out to buy the Himalayan salt. Unfortunately, the only pink salts were either the rock salt version or a small pack of pink salt which was 4 times more expensive because it came in such a pretty package and I was not prepared to pay 2€ for the salt and 6€ for the bag!!!

Don Genaro said:
I have a couple of questions and forgive me if they have already been answered as I'm still not even halfway through the thread! I bought Himalayan salt today and it's white! Trying to find comparisons on the internet turned up very poor results- but I did get the impression that the less white a salt is, the higher the mineral content. The packaging guarantees there are no additives and it has not been bleached but unfortunately does not give the mineral content. I have the option to exchange it for Celtic Sea Salt which does give the mineral content. It's greyish in colour and has a much higher potassium to sodium ratio. I can't remember exactly but I think it was maybe 4 times more potassium. The Celtic salt is also half the price! Any suggestions?
This kind of leads into my second question. I always add a lot of salt to my food so would it still be advisable to drink the teaspoon of salt in water throughout the day? Also, is a potassium supplement still advised? I looked at the label of my unrefined sea salt today and was shocked to see it contained 39 gms of sodium and zero gms of any other mineral which is why I raced out to buy the Himalayan salt. Unfortunately, the only pink salts were either the rock salt version or a small pack of pink salt which was 4 times more expensive because it came in such a pretty package and I was not prepared to pay 2€ for the salt and 6€ for the bag!!!

I wouldn't worry if you were not able to get the best Himalayan salts. But if it looks suspicious, the Celtic Sea salt is fine as well. A meat bone broth will also replenish you of sodium and potassium and it's the natural way to go. If you're not having cramps, you can hold off from buying the potassium supplements. But remember to have a meat or bone broth.

Everybody is different, but as a general rule, if you are getting headaches, are getting very tired and/or having muscle cramps or dizzy spells, you'll benefit of the extra supplementation (salts, potassium, and magnesium). Remember to be well hydrated, enough to have a pale yellow urine.

In those who are insulin resistant (diabetics, metabolic syndrome), they'll find that potassium and sodium will not be enough, they'll need extra supplementation of magnesium.

In my case, I didn't needed the extra salt and when I did took it, I threw up a couple of times and had diarrhea a couple of times as well. I took one forth of a teaspoon of pink Himalayan salts and it tasted pretty good, just like a broth. Oh well...

Thank you Psyche! I think I'll get the Celtic salt and just add it to my food. I don't have cramps or headaches and I'm not suffering from tiredness or low energy. It's just that I read an article you linked to about bone broth yesterday on the thread about "Sodium Potassium ratio (http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,24325.0.html) where it mentioned that low potassium levels could lead to shallow breathing. Since this was something I occasionally have (and I had a pronounced case last week after the EE workshop) I thought that it might be the cause. Particularly since I take a lot of salt and I discovered that my salt contains no potassium and if I understand it correctly, this type of salt will actually deplete potassium! Anyway, I subsequently got a potassium tablet and will finish them as well as adding a good salt to my diet and see how I feel!

Back
Top Bottom