"Life Without Bread"

Psyche said:
Aragorn said:
You mentioned eating nuts, what kind of nuts? Some nuts, like cashew, have quite many carbs in it, where as hazel nuts are quite low with carbs but high with fat.

Nicklebleu, I was thinking also that perhaps you might have an intolerance to some of the nuts. One sign could be water retention despite being on a low carb diet. Perhaps you can re-introduce nuts at a later stage when your gut heals more. Or stick to the ones that seem safer. We usually test one at a time to see how the body reacts.

I did the detox and food testing a while ago and the only nut I had a problem with at the time was walnut, which I have cut out. I eat nuts mainly in the form of "Nick's Energy Bar" which is a mixture of macadamia nuts, roasted almonds, pumpkin seed, coconut oil and dry shredded, plus cacao nibs and a bit of xylitol. The end result has around 10g of carbs per 100 g and I eat maybe 50 g per day, which would add up to 5 g of carbs.

Now it might in the end be some allergy problem ... not entirely sure if the coconut is to blame, as I had the impression a while ago that my joint inflammation, gone after going gluten-free around a year ago, suddenly might have reared its ugly head again.

Hmmh ... might have to do the testing all over again then, because I have changed my diet quite radically compared to when I did the testing.

Aragorn, Psyche, Thanks for the suggestion!

Ouch! ...

Just put one of my nut bars on a scale - they are much heavier than I remember ... 25 g each (instead of 15 g). As I eat around 3 - 4 a day, this comes on top of my already 20 g ... maybe I DO consume some hidden carbs ... :(

Psyche said:
The gist of it is to decrease net carbs (total carbs in grams minus fiber grams)...

Hi Psyche,

Just to clarify if my understanding is ok.

I always consider the total carbs as mentioned on the labels as the official number of carbs for a product. Shall I substract the number of fiber included in the total carbs for the real number of carbs ? If so, I have missed it since the beginning of the diet since my main was to keep the total carbs under 50.

Gandalf said:
Psyche said:
The gist of it is to decrease net carbs (total carbs in grams minus fiber grams)...

Hi Psyche,

I always consider the total carbs as mentioned on the labels as the official number of carbs for a product. Shall I substract the number of fiber included in the total carbs for the real number of carbs ? If so, I have missed it since the beginning of the diet since my main was to keep the total carbs under 50.

I found that pretty confusing too ... because often if you add the sugar to the fibres it doesn't add up to the total carbs, so what is the rest? "Complex" carbs?

One way to look at it is if you only count the total carbs your net carbs will always be lower ...

nicklebleu said:
I did the detox and food testing a while ago and the only nut I had a problem with at the time was walnut, which I have cut out. I eat nuts mainly in the form of "Nick's Energy Bar" which is a mixture of macadamia nuts, roasted almonds, pumpkin seed, coconut oil and dry shredded, plus cacao nibs and a bit of xylitol. The end result has around 10g of carbs per 100 g and I eat maybe 50 g per day, which would add up to 5 g of carbs.

Oh yeah, quite a few had described horrible inflammation due to coconut oil. Some of the reasons as to why are explained in this post:

3 reasons why coconut milk may not be your friend
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/229789-3-reasons-why-coconut-milk-may-not-be-your-friend

Actually, for me it is an excellent anti-inflammatory, but all of us are different.

Pumpkin seed sounds like lectins as well. Well, hopefully as you further improve your diet, you'll achieve weight loss and above everything else, well being :)

nicklebleu said:
One way to look at it is if you only count the total carbs your net carbs will always be lower ...

So far, it is what I am doing and as mentioned my goal is to be under 50 grams. But for the moment, the shifting to ketosis has not happened, still missing a lot of energy.

nicklebleu said:
Gandalf said:
Psyche said:

Hi Psyche,

I found that pretty confusing too ... because often if you add the sugar to the fibres it doesn't add up to the total carbs, so what is the rest? "Complex" carbs?

Make sure to substract the number in fiber from the total number of carbs of one specific ingredient. This is far more clear in a carb counter book. Fiber won't get digested so usually it is not considered in our carb counting. For example, sweet potatoes have around 30 g of carbs, but around 10 of those are fiber. Your count will be then of 20 grams for each sweet potato. In processed foods, well, ideally we shouldn't been having lots of those, but if the number doesn't add up (the sugar to the fibers it doesn't add up to the total carbs), then, just consider the total number of carbs in order to be on the safe side.

Gandalf said:
nicklebleu said:

So far, it is what I am doing and as mentioned my goal is to be under 50 grams. But for the moment, the shifting to ketosis has not happened, still missing a lot of energy.

Make sure you're having fatty meats, a bit of salt water, drinking enough water and some potassium and magnesium. L-carnitine can also help your muscle getting started with fat as a source of energy.

I know it takes time and that we all had repeated this several times in this thread, but I worry that people are not getting enough fat nowadays when all meats are raised in order to have less quantities of this vital nutrient.

Gandalf said:
nicklebleu said:

I've just had seven days at 20g (nett carbs) or below, still missing a lot of energy too, muscle aches have gone, but I can feel the energy coming back - slowly - over the last day, or so, and today more so.

Just to add to the confusion about net carbs. I think there are different labeling systems in UK/EU and the US.
In US labels you can subtract fibers but not in european ones. OSIT

source: http://uk.atkins.com/pages.php?page=310747

Yesterday morning I woke up after 9 hours sleep, ate breakfast and was so weary that I then went back to bed again for another 2 hours! Still had a headache, and generally feeling weak all day, but I was lucky not to have had any digestion or stomach issues. I had no cravings for carbs of any kind.

However, today I woke up feeling pretty good!! My energy is definitely better today, so hope this will continue.

Psyche said:
jhonny said:
I'm in my 3rd day of detox diet.
Yesterday I went to sleep ( before I did the meditation) and I had a dream, I was eating buñuelo( that's a Colombian recepi prepared with wheat flour, milk and lots of cheese) and I felt very guilty but after I went to another place and I ate an ice cream with chocolate there, in the dream I thought...I have to start again with the diet.
I think that is the enslavement of my body to dairy, carbohydrates and gluten.

That is very common when you start the diet, you start fantasizing with carbs. You're exorcizing the dairy and gluten demon ;)

I'll work on the detox diet and post a revised version in the Éiriú Eolas forum so you can have a better idea on when to decrease your carb intake and prepare yourself for keto-adaptation. The gist of it is to decrease net carbs (total carbs in grams minus fiber grams) to 108-110 when you do the transition phase, which is the phase when you re-introduce saturated fat and fatty meats. This is the "less-stressful" version. If that phase goes well with the help of some detox supplementation (magnesium, vitamin C, digestive enzymes), probably you will be able to start keto-adaptation much sooner than the usual 3 months advised on "Life Without Bread".

Just to clarify, this tip goes specifically to jhonny whom I met in Barcelona :)

Thank you Psyche ;)

I'm a little bit confused about the vitamin C intake.
I've bought Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and it is recommended to only use 120mg per day ?
but I think I've read that some of you take much more ?
how much should I take per day ?

Pashalis said:
I've bought Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and it is recommended to only use 120mg per day ?

Maybe this article by Robert F. Cathcart, M.D. will help you understand better. He helps you find your vitamin C tolerance level.

Nicolas said:
Pashalis said:

Maybe this article by Robert F. Cathcart, M.D. will help you understand better. He helps you find your vitamin C tolerance level.

There is also a topic on the forum: Ascorbic acid

fwiw

Back
Top Bottom