"Life Without Bread"

Is any forum member having difficulty with lamb/goat meat digestion since going LC? I ask this simply because last weekend when I went camping with my family I bought from local butcher 1kg of lamb chops. I pan fried half of it that day and the rest day after. 2-3 hours after first meal I felt cramping in my intestines which ended up with diarrhea. I have prescribed this to piece of watermelon I ate after launch.
Next day my breakfast was as any other day, lots of bacon fried on ghee and things were ok until I made my self rest of the lamb chops, which ended this time in serious diarrhea.

Thing is that whole of my life I didn't have any problems with lamb nor goat meats, but I'm assured that this has changed for some reason now and I can't find any good answer. This lamb is locally farmed and you can't get any better because this animals here are practically wild, looming and grazing freely over Adriatic islands!
Something similar has happened with berries also, I experience same symptoms with less then handful of raspberries, on rear occasions when I'm in the mood and just year ago it was perfectly safe. For the same reason I've ditched all veggies except lettuce, but can't anymore eat rucola despite fact that it was on my ok list just over year ago!

Now, I know that LCHF diet has it's benefits over "standard" diet, but in my case despite the fact that I'm on LC diet more then a year now and finally have rid myself from all those fatigue pits in transition I'm constantly under impression that I'm still missing something. That all the fats and proteins no matter how good, can't provide all nutrients my body requires. Still I didn't got any kind of virosis or being sick for period in question, but I'm having trouble with constipation (when not in opposite state) and having trouble with gaining weight. This kind of incidents usually take away 2-3 hard gained kilos in just few days and it takes weeks to recover. My food list is very short, bacon, ghee, prosciutto, butter, buckwheat crackers as butter carrier, calf or pig liver, bone broth and some lettuce anything other is now step in unknown.

I'm still supplementing with digestive enzymes, krill oil, NAC, potassium, K2, Q10, Se. Ox bile and HCL are still needed for fat digestion and that raises question of getting addicted to.

Shot in the dark here, but perhaps worth ruling out. Perhaps the meat (or utensils, plates, etc.) had some mild bacteria growth and your body quickly responded. Depending on the bacteria and the amount, reactions can be within hours to days.

Did you have any other symptoms?

Gonzo

Regulattor said:
I'm constantly under impression that I'm still missing something.

I felt like that much of the time before I began eating (wild-caught) fish regularly - now I do so at least once a day, along with something to provide some extra fat. (For more on fish, head back some pages in this thread.)

Gonzo said:
Shot in the dark here, but perhaps worth ruling out. Perhaps the meat (or utensils, plates, etc.) had some mild bacteria growth and your body quickly responded. Depending on the bacteria and the amount, reactions can be within hours to days.

Gonzo

Yep, that might be it. I occasionally eat lamb. The first couple of times that I had tried it, I had more or less the same kind of digestion problems as you Regulattor. But, then I decided to clean the meat thoroughly with water before cooking it, and I didn't have a problem with it since.

Have to report that after 1 year on the low carb diet (virtually no spices except salt) I've become extremely sensitive to garlic. Last week I had some freshly ground garlic on a pork chop, and I burped for 4 hours after lunch and developed bad gas for two days. Today I put some ground, dried garlic into my burger and again I felt as if I couldn't digest my meal for 4 hours afterwards. I felt nauseous and had to take digestive enzymes just to feel normal again.

I'll remove any garlic from the house...

Rhythmik said:
So nobody here will sell me potassium supplements. One lady claims it is a dangerous drug. Another (a naturopath) said it was normally prescribed as a diuretic. Not sure how to get around that.

Did you look up online stores in Australia?

Data said:
Have to report that after 1 year on the low carb diet (virtually no spices except salt) I've become extremely sensitive to garlic. Last week I had some freshly ground garlic on a pork chop, and I burped for 4 hours after lunch and developed bad gas for two days. Today I put some ground, dried garlic into my burger and again I felt as if I couldn't digest my meal for 4 hours afterwards. I felt nauseous and had to take digestive enzymes just to feel normal again.

I'll remove any garlic from the house...

It's interesting that garlic would now pose a problem. I wondered about fermenting it or somehow limiting whatever compound in the garlic is affecting you. I looked up garlic sensitivity and was surprised at how many people actually have problems with garlic (aside from the smell).

Livestrong has an article "Why Does Garlic Make My Stomach Hurt?" (_http://www.livestrong.com/article/493019-why-does-garlic-make-my-stomach-hurt/) which discussed fructans, an indigestible fructose chain.
Fructans and Stomach Pain
If you are sensitive to fructans, eating garlic will cause an excessive fermentation of the fructans by the bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract. The excess gas produced by the fermentation of the fructans of garlic can result in bloating, flatulence and pain. There is no test to diagnose fructan intolerance, but keeping a food journal can help you identify which foods in your diet cause your stomach to hurt.

As well, Garlic Central (_http://www.garlic-central.com/allergy.html) mentions that the compound allicin, which is produced when the garlic cells are crushed, can cause reactions ranging from rashes and blisters (from skin contact) for those highly sensitive to heartburn or gas for those with milder sensitivities.

Allicin dot com has some interesting information on allicin as well (_http://www.allicin.com/):
What about Enteric Coatings?

To prevent the destruction of alliinase by stomach acid, some manufacturers have enteric-coated garlic powders in order to bypass the stomach. Assuming that a high quality garlic powder is used initially (one that is not exposed to high temperatures which can deactivate alliinase), this form of garlic could potentially deliver alliin and alliinase to the intestinal tract. However, simulated intestinal fluids have been shown to reduce allicin production almost 40%.5 (See Table Below). The remaining allicin may exert anti-microbial effects on bad bacteria, however, it may also destroy friendly bacteria.7 Both allicin and raw garlic preparations which contain allicin have been shown to decrease the bacteria flora.7-9 Further, being a strong oxidizing agent10 allicin may damage sensitive cells which line the intestinal tract11 as it has been shown to damage the cells lining the stomach.12

I did not know that garlic could actually kill off essential gut flora, let alone harm the intestinal lining. While garlic has been heralded as having powerful healing properties, I obviously need to know more about it.

Gonzo

Edit: typos

In reading this thread, considering so many things discovered in the last few months that have been posted here, it would seem that pretty much everything on the Earth is poison to us. When you consider all of the toxic chemicals in the air, which end up in the ground and then the water supply at some point, even organic vegetables and grass fed animals would be contaminated at some level. I find this most disturbing, and to tell you the truth, it scares me. How much longer are we going to be able to eat before the toxin levels are so high in everything that nothing is safe?

QuantumLogic said:
In reading this thread, considering so many things discovered in the last few months that have been posted here, it would seem that pretty much everything on the Earth is poison to us. When you consider all of the toxic chemicals in the air, which end up in the ground and then the water supply at some point, even organic vegetables and grass fed animals would be contaminated at some level. I find this most disturbing, and to tell you the truth, it scares me. How much longer are we going to be able to eat before the toxin levels are so high in everything that nothing is safe?

Of course they are and even organic veggies lack nutrients due to soil depletion, but we do the best we can with what we know, remaining open to any new data that may appear. A regular program of detox might help ease your mind over these things. Many here on the forum have done some pretty rigorous detoxing and maintain regular followups.

Hope that helps.

Gonzo said:
I did not know that garlic could actually kill off essential gut flora, let alone harm the intestinal lining. While garlic has been heralded as having powerful healing properties, I obviously need to know more about it.

Gonzo

I'm actually allergic to garlic and also cannot eat onions. They are in the same family. And I love garlic and onions. :cry: There are also others on the forum who are sensitive to garlic/onions.

Nienna Eluch said:
I'm actually allergic to garlic and also cannot eat onions. They are in the same family. And I love garlic and onions. :cry: There are also others on the forum who are sensitive to garlic/onions.
Yeps. I fall into that category as well. I also currently think I can't eat ginger either. I made the mistake about a month ago in eating all three - I didn't feel like myself for a week!

Thanksfully I didn't like ginger, but I like vasabi(Japanesse mustard), and I haven't try it for a long time. I didn't like onion for a long period of my life and always prefered garlic more. A few years ago I started liking onion. Now I can eat garlic in small emounts, but I have to test it more deeply. I feel ok eating onion and prefer onion more then garlic now.

Nienna Eluch said:
Gonzo said:

Gonzo

This is interesting, since, pre-going Primal-Paleo, I ate an onion a day with no problems of gas or anythng. In October last year I stopped doing this, even though onions were a good way of soaking up breakfast fats. Recently I introduced a small amount of onions to eat liver with - and instantly experienced gas problems. I'll trial garlic on its own too, to see what happens, also with ginger (both of which I stopped back in October). All of these were basics for me, for keeping health problems at bay.

Regulattor said:
Is any forum member having difficulty with lamb/goat meat digestion since going LC? I ask this simply because last weekend when I went camping with my family ...
Gonzo said:

Gonzo
That would be my guess at what what caused the effect, too - possibly other than clean hands whilst camping. The other possibility is that heat 'soured' the meat whilst it was being stored.

Psalehesost said:
... I began eating (wild-caught) fish regularly - now I do so at least once a day, along with something to provide some extra fat. (For more on fish, head back some pages in this thread.)
I've now moved to eating some form of fish/shellfish once a day. :)

Prodigal Son said:
Regulattor said:
Is any forum member having difficulty with lamb/goat meat digestion since going LC? I ask this simply because last weekend when I went camping with my family ...
Gonzo said:

Gonzo
That would be my guess at what what caused the effect, too - possibly other than clean hands whilst camping. The other possibility is that heat 'soured' the meat whilst it was being stored.

I kept meat in refrigerator all the time, so bacteria as a cause isn't on top of the list. The other symptom is poor sleep. The reason I sad lamb/goat is because I bought last Autumn young goat to freeze over for winter and now I can connect this two type of meats with bad digestion and dhiarea after eating, because symptomes are pretty similar.

I'm gonna try adding more seafood to my diet and report how things are going.

Quick question.
Where do you buy your grass-fed bovine colostrum?

I ordered mine weeks and weeks ago from a New Zealand company for my eldest son, but to no avail.
(Something for the Products and Services Thread. :mad:)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom