"Life Without Bread"

Re: Re: "Life Without Bread"

I want to said that in the post Reply #3617, I was confused that lard and salo are the same.
I mean here:
Serg said:
As I said, I usually eat pork and it is usually with some lard which is fatty. Also I can eat some lard separately or with meat.
When I said lard it means salo.
Here is a link to wiki about salo: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_%28food%29
I didn’t find chemical compounds in English about salo, but I found on Russian. I found a few articles, they all listed different ingredients. I put an approximate list :
fat 85-90%
protein 0-3%
water 0-10%
And there also other nutriens. Also there some folk medicine with salo.
I used to eat it for my entire life, but usually it was with potato or bread. And I can’t imagine my life without it. And a lot of people in Ukraine like it very much. It’s one of ours traditional foods.
There are a lot of stories, proverbs, sayings, etc. about salo. Here is one saying:
Сало не раз нас виручало. It is not just once that salo has done us a favor.
My father used to say:
Сальце, м’ясце, вітамін це (Salce, M’yasce, Vitamin Ce) Salo, meat and Vitamin C)
Also, I have a craving from time to time for salo and lard produced by this salo when it is molten in a frying pan.
My mom made me delicious some rolls named ‘kruchenyky’ . It is like flattened out and beaten slices of pork/beef, you roll it around salo.
I don’t know how many of you have tried salo. I saw that Keit and Angi eat it. )
I think that salo is good when you want to increase fat intake. It is almost never eaten on its own.
You may not get used to it at once. My wife didn’t really appreciate it at first time, (however when she was small she like it) but then as she kept watching me eat it, she end it up loving it.

Sorry for interrupting your discussion with my salo, but I really wanted to share. :)

Hello.

At first i wanna say this diet is great. I fell more powerful, i have more energy and im not so sleepy. I change it from day to day. At beginning my stomach flipped many times a week, but now its ok. Im on this diet like 3 weeks and i loosed most of my fat. Im working in kitchen so its difficult to stop eating gluten and so on, couse i need to try every dish. but its still on low lvl. My mother sayin that some of our family friends are on this diet for many many years. Theyre eating like 1 folk for 3 white every morning.

And i have question here. Shortbread is lesser evil, what about gingerbread?

jokerwader said:
Hello.

At first i wanna say this diet is great. I fell more powerful, i have more energy and im not so sleepy. I change it from day to day. At beginning my stomach flipped many times a week, but now its ok. Im on this diet like 3 weeks and i loosed most of my fat. Im working in kitchen so its difficult to stop eating gluten and so on, couse i need to try every dish. but its still on low lvl. My mother sayin that some of our family friends are on this diet for many many years. Theyre eating like 1 folk for 3 white every morning.

And i have question here. Shortbread is lesser evil, what about gingerbread?

You should eat ALL the yolks and cut back on the whites.

All grains are evil. Eliminate entirely.

Some of you here have roasted or cooked trotters (pig's feet). May I ask how long and whether you added some fat?
I roasted my trotters in the oven together with some ghee for an hour at 140 degrees C. I was probably overzealous, because the trotters were inedible. :P

nicklebleu said:
I have been on a low-carb diet for quite a while now, but I also have hit a brick wall - with my weight. I have actually put on some in the last few months ...

What is you diet like, in detail? What kind of meat do you eat, what kind of carbs, how much, etc? And what supplements do you take?

Ailén said:
nicklebleu said:
I have been on a low-carb diet for quite a while now, but I also have hit a brick wall - with my weight. I have actually put on some in the last few months ...

What is you diet like, in detail? What kind of meat do you eat, what kind of carbs, how much, etc? And what supplements do you take?

My menue:
I eat pork belly for breakfast and buttered green tea.
Buttered green tea for lunch.
For dinner meat (steak/ pork roast/ fish etc.) and veggies or salad.
One bar of black chocolate after dinner plus one buttered herbal tea.
So total butter intake around 150g a day ... :/
Sometimes one handful of macadamia nuts before dinner.
No fruit whatsoever ...

Supplements:
Vit D 5000 -10'000 U
Magnesium citrate 1 tsp
Vit C 1 tsp
(all that in the evening)

No sports at the moment due to a achilles tendonitis (which I treated with a cortison injection and is now gone, but I am a bit reluctant to take up my interval training at the moment). used to do Peak8 (as described by Mercola).

nicklebleu said:
My menue:
No fruit whatsoever ...

Supplements:
Vit D 5000 -10'000 U
Magnesium citrate 1 tsp
Vit C 1 tsp

Is the meat you eat very fatty?
Macadamias are quite high in carbs. I would also cut down the chocolate way down. Is it sweetened with xyltol or with sugar?
Some people don't tolerate butter very well. So, if I were you, I would stop eating it for a while, and instead eat more animal fat directly. Lard in particular. If you happen to not be able to tolerate butter, it would be giving you some inflammation.

FWIW, I don't see your triglicerides as being too bad. They are almost normal. It could have had to do with what you ate before the tests. And, if I understand it correctly, it is better to test for glicated proteins. That gives you a better indication, because it shows your sugar levels over a period of time.

From this article:
Currently, two different glycated protein tests are used to monitor patients' overall glucose control. One is the glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) test which indicates a patient's glucose control over the previous two to three months. The other test is fructosamine which indicates glucose control over the previous two to three weeks.

My 2 cents.

ADDED: It's not that testing for triglicerides is bad, of course. It shows the level of sugar in your blood. But what I'm trying to say is that glicated proteins might give you a better indication of the effects on the diet in the long term.

Also, apart from cutting off the macadamias and the chocolate, and replacing butter with lard, it would be better to have breakfast and lunch (or an early dinner), instead of eating anything before going to bed. That can really make a difference, as some of us have discovered. I can't eat anything after 7pm, or else I wake up inflammed and don't sleep well.

Ailén said:
nicklebleu said:
My menue:
No fruit whatsoever ...

Supplements:
Vit D 5000 -10'000 U
Magnesium citrate 1 tsp
Vit C 1 tsp

Is the meat you eat very fatty?
Macadamias are quite high in carbs. I would also cut down the chocolate way down. Is it sweetened with xyltol or with sugar?
Some people don't tolerate butter very well. So, if I were you, I would stop eating it for a while, and instead eat more animal fat directly. Lard in particular. If you happen to not be able to tolerate butter, it would be giving you some inflammation.

FWIW, I don't see your triglicerides as being too bad. They are almost normal. It could have had to do with what you ate before the tests. And, if I understand it correctly, it is better to test for glicated proteins. That gives you a better indication, because it shows your sugar levels over a period of time.

From this article:
Currently, two different glycated protein tests are used to monitor patients' overall glucose control. One is the glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) test which indicates a patient's glucose control over the previous two to three months. The other test is fructosamine which indicates glucose control over the previous two to three weeks.

My 2 cents.

ADDED: It's not that testing for triglicerides is bad, of course. It shows the level of sugar in your blood. But what I'm trying to say is that glicated proteins might give you a better indication of the effects on the diet in the long term.

Also, apart from cutting off the macadamias and the chocolate, and replacing butter with lard, it would be better to have breakfast and lunch (or an early dinner), instead of eating anything before going to bed. That can really make a difference, as some of us have discovered. I can't eat anything after 7pm, or else I wake up inflammed and don't sleep well.

How about the amounts of meat that you have each day?

After initial weight loss I also had weight gain, but I was eating quite large amounts of meat, and a few eggs, per day. When I figured out that excess protein gets turned to glucose, I realized I could be putting on weight and going out of ketosis too if I overdid it. I cut down the amount of protein to about the amount I need or a just a bit more (approx 64g per day for my weight, according to some information that one consume 0.8 g of protein/ kg of ideal body weight) and I dropped in weight again, and had less visceral fat.

Ailén said:
Macadamias are quite high in carbs.

Given that he says he eats a handful, which might be around 50 grams total, I doubt the carbs in them is the issue. That would be a total of 7 grams of carbs, 2/3 of them being fibre.

liffy said:
Ailén said:

Given that he says he eats a handful, which might be around 50 grams total, I doubt the carbs in them is the issue. That would be a total of 7 grams of carbs, 2/3 of them being fibre.
It really depends on the individual in terms of how exactly inflammation expresses itself. If I were to eat that many or any nuts, not only would I react in a matter of minutes, but I'd need a few days to recover. It's also good to keep in mind the cumulative effect of foods. The veggies/salad and chocolate also fall into the carb category and as Breton said, too much protein is turned into glucose (basically 'seen' as a carb in the body).

For what it's worth and based on my own experiences, the longer one is on this diet, the more sensitive they become to carb intake.

It's a really difficult conclusion to have to come to, but unfortunately it seems that human beings really aren't meant to have carbs of any kind.

A whole bar of chocolate? When I indulge, it is like two 1 inch squares! But I've given it up awhile ago because I could feel that it affected me negatively. Don't even crave it anymore.

truth seeker said:
liffy said:
Ailén said:

It really depends on the individual in terms of how exactly inflammation expresses itself. If I were to eat that many or any nuts, not only would I react in a matter of minutes, but I'd need a few days to recover. It's also good to keep in mind the cumulative effect of foods. The veggies/salad and chocolate also fall into the carb category and as Breton said, too much protein is turned into glucose (basically 'seen' as a carb in the body).

For what it's worth and based on my own experiences, the longer one is on this diet, the more sensitive they become to carb intake.

It's a really difficult conclusion to have to come to, but unfortunately it seems that human beings really aren't meant to have carbs of any kind.

Do you think that such a reaction would be due to the carbohydrate intake, and not other sorts of allergens present?

Personally I can handle higher carbohydrate loads, even after doing the low carb thing for quite a while, but as you say, there seems to be a lot of people having issues with pretty much anything other than animal food.

That being said, considering how the future might pan out, I personally think it would be an advantage not to have tuned your body in such a way that it only handles a tiny range of the food spectrum, given a possible situation where available food choices might suck. Am I the only one thinking this? :)

Hi all,

Thanks for your feed-back!

I don't think that the carbs are the problem too, unless I have a very, very low threshold. Macadamias are quite low in carbs and I only eat a handful of them and not every day (liffy calculated it as 7 g). Of course there could be a problem with allergy or sensitivity.

As to the chocolate ... with "bar" I meant one square-width of a whole 100g chocolate (English language again), which comes down to around 10g of 85% dark chocolate, which is around 2g of carbs. I can certainly cut that out ...

I do have veggies, which I can curb further and I could have an overabundance of protein which get shunted into the glucose metabolism (even though I only have two meals a day and the morning meal with the pork belly is very fat heavy).

So after all it is maybe the butter ... so after eggs gone, butter gone too :cry:

Will now modify my diet as follows:
- Chocolate ... gone!
- Maccas ... gone!
- Breakfast pork-belly
- no lunch, except green tea
- dinner on alternate days as per usual

I'll see what happens and will post back the results ... what a journey!

truth seeker said:
Well, at this point, I actually see it as an advantage to only being able to eat a few foods. In a way it's freeing - I'm getting rid of programs related to food. It's also cheaper - while everyone's rushing out to get their carb fix (which also makes one hungrier), I'm satisfied and not focused on eating or recipes. Food is simply nourishment. This definitely helps free up one's time to do other things.

Also, and take this with a huge grain of salt, but I've been wondering over the last week or so (especially in light of the new research), if the path we're on - sto which doesn't feed off, but feeds others - might mean in part that we may be heading towards a state where we eat less and less. This would certainly come in handy in a food shortage!

Perhaps this diet isn't a destination but rather a journey.

My thoughts and feelings too so far. All cravings seem to come from carbs. A high fat meal (once you've transitioned) is fully satisfying with no craving or even hunger (not sure I'd even call it hunger) for very long periods. I've been amazed at how little food I really need now - and with no weight loss at all. Everything is much easier wrt to meals - like you say, TS, dropping the programs.

I think jars of bacon fat might just be the optimum food to stock for lean times.

Back
Top Bottom