"Life Without Bread"

Miss.K said:
elle said:
my little sister became vegetarian some months ago, and I have noticed that she already started to act like if she is superior in some way.

Did you try to give her The Vegetatian Myth? I thought when I read it that it was a good read for vegetarians because Lierre Keith comes from a Vegan background, and adresses all the reasons for being a vegetarian.

BTW I think it is usual for people to act superior when they think they are doing the right thing (as a friend of mine sometimes say "people are much nicer when it isn't going so well for them") :)

Hi Miss.K!

Haven't read that one yet, but yes! It might be a good idea to left the book at my syster' s reach..I actually dont want to push them to read anithing, exactly as I dont want to be pushed to read at something.
And yes! If they are acting superior because they think they are doing the right thing, I don't want to been caught in the same behavior, you know? Pushing my ideas to others..but, if they are open to learn Ill defenetly be there to help as much as I can.
Thank you very much :D

elle said:
Miss.K said:
elle said:
my little sister became vegetarian some months ago, and I have noticed that she already started to act like if she is superior in some way.

Did you try to give her The Vegetatian Myth? I thought when I read it that it was a good read for vegetarians because Lierre Keith comes from a Vegan background, and adresses all the reasons for being a vegetarian.

BTW I think it is usual for people to act superior when they think they are doing the right thing (as a friend of mine sometimes say "people are much nicer when it isn't going so well for them") :)

Hi Miss.K!

Haven't read that one yet, but yes! It might be a good idea to left the book at my syster' s reach..I actually dont want to push them to read anithing, exactly as I dont want to be pushed to read at something.
And yes! If they are acting superior because they think they are doing the right thing, I don't want to been caught in the same behavior, you know? Pushing my ideas to others..but, if they are open to learn Ill defenetly be there to help as much as I can.
Thank you very much :D

Yes I know, you're right :)

Life without bread has been extremely challenging for me. I've been trying out recipes from America's Test Kitchen book entitled: How can it be gluten free cookbook". This has proven to be very trial-and-error and has resulted in many 'errors'. The gluten free products in the grocery store are prohibitively expensive and most of them taste like what I imagine is the taste of cardboard.

I'm still working on learning how to live without bread and it is a matter of resisting temptation on a daily basis.

trobar said:
Life without bread has been extremely challenging for me. I've been trying out recipes from America's Test Kitchen book entitled: How can it be gluten free cookbook". This has proven to be very trial-and-error and has resulted in many 'errors'. The gluten free products in the grocery store are prohibitively expensive and most of them taste like what I imagine is the taste of cardboard.

I'm still working on learning how to live without bread and it is a matter of resisting temptation on a daily basis.

There's also the problem that many "gluten-free" labeled products in stores are not actually gluten-free.

trobar said:

Hi trobar, while going bread-free can definitely be challenging at the start, you might want to do some research before eating any gluten free food.

Gluten free products are highly processed, genetically modified foods loaded with sugar and made with different types of starch which is almost worse than table sugar.

Some useful links you might want to look at:

Gluten-free products in stores does NOT mean that they're free of gluten
Eat more sugar - The truth about Gluten Free foods

Eboard10 said:
trobar said:

Hi trobar, while going bread-free can definitely be challenging at the start, you might want to do some research before eating any gluten free food.

Gluten free products are highly processed, genetically modified foods loaded with sugar and made with different types of starch which is almost worse than table sugar.

Some useful links you might want to look at:

Gluten-free products in stores does NOT mean that they're free of gluten
Eat more sugar - The truth about Gluten Free foods

Yes, indeed.

trobar, I know it can be hard to change what we're used to do, it was also very hard for me to find alternatives and learn to cook without gluten and casein. Yes, it was trial and error, and many errors along the way but finally it was all worthy ;D

You can check out this section full of delicious recipes: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/board,50.0.html

I hope you find it useful and I wish you the best in the journey! :flowers:

Thank you Yas, eBoard10 and Seeking Truth for your input. I have much to learn about this subject and most days I think it is 'easier' to just give up on the idea of bread than to learn how to make gluten free anything. Yesterday I had a Tuna sandwich and instead of bread I used lettuce to hold the tuna . Step by step and I will get it right!

trobar said:
Thank you Yas, eBoard10 and Seeking Truth for your input. I have much to learn about this subject and most days I think it is 'easier' to just give up on the idea of bread than to learn how to make gluten free anything. Yesterday I had a Tuna sandwich and instead of bread I used lettuce to hold the tuna . Step by step and I will get it right!

Yup, step by step is the way to go. There's lots of tips on the forum. You can use the search function to find what you're looking for. Good luck. :)

trobar said:

You're welcome trobar! And I understand what you feel. I finally ended up giving up the idea of bread myself, and adopted a ketogenic diet, but while you transition, you can probably experiment with yuca flour... rice isn't so good, but I guess you can go with it in the beginning, just to make it easier.

I used to make pancakes out of yuca flour and eggs: just mix some flour, eggs and water until you get a pancake consistency mixture (quite liquid but "creamy") and then you can put some butter in a pan and make the pancake. You can use that for your tuna, for example. :)

My back pains started when I was 19. When I was 9 I had minor injury on lower part of the spine, hurt few weeks. When I was 41 (13 months ago) I finally connected back pains with wheat flour consumption. So I stopped eating it, and many strange things happened - I just lost all the weight gained since highschool, I could run again, I could spend whole day skiing without terrible feet pains and my digestion problems disappeared. Now I feel better than ever since 1991.

It was an introduction.

I didn't found many results looking for "Sourdough" on this topic, and it seems that it is quite safe. It is enough for me to eat bite of bun to feel the pain, but I tested on sourdough, and eating even much of it didn't caused any reaction. What I am aiming to - thanks to sourdough, leaving wheat flour wasn't too hard. And we (11 person family) eat about 1/2-1 sourdough daily, mostly as a good composition with butter or lard.
However, it is very hard to find a bakery making good sourdough. I tried about ten, and only one was perfect - it means - no back pains. It smells good, tastes good, it is rather "wet", and - it can be considered as a partly animal product - what do you think?

BTW - we've never benn so healthy and good looking - eating about 30 kg ribs monthly ;)

Have you tried cutting out grains entirely, if only for a few weeks? I know that after living just my relatively short life, I didn't realize how bad I felt even when I thought I felt great.

I listened to a radio show on the subject of sourdough bread and gluten intolerance a few days ago. It seems it is the fermentation process that makes wheat more tolerable and easier to digest. They also said that gluten sensitivity is much more prevalent today due to the bread no longer sitting for long periods of time to rise. Today, all commercial bread is "chemically leavened" in about an hour. However, many contend that the gluten will still do damage, even if it is not noticeable.

With a large family, I can see where it would certainly be handy. It seems all people better tolerate sourdough bread, while others have such a sensitivity, that even sourdough bread will cause reactions. However, if you are striving for a full ketogenic diet , the sourdough bread would be too many carbohydrates (36 g per slice!) and may be doing damage silently.

There is a thread on sourdough bread you may wish to read thru for a more in-depth analysis. https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,17483.0.html and this one for the darker side of wheat http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16891.0

added: for a totally gluten/carb free bread, there is always pork rinds https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36544.0.html

monotonic said:
Have you tried cutting out grains entirely, if only for a few weeks?

Yes, of course - year ago. It was month or two, and I felt great, then I tried sourdough (about slice a day), and it didn't change anything. But eating anything else containing wheat flour, makes me feel immidiatelly worse...

It seems like cutting out all wheat products would be better than continuing to eat sourdough.

Back
Top Bottom