Marius the giraffe killed, butchered and fed to lions as children watch

Paddyjohn said:
Laura said:
Sorry, doesn't compute for me. It's sick and slick pathological reasoning.

Yes, sick and slick pathological reasoning. And I am observing how after the Lisa G manifestation, pathological reasoning, often slick, but always sick to those that see, is attempting to breech this community. Broken Piano, Miss. K and others before them - some clever, some not so clever, present needed opportunities to refresh this community and sharpen its skills in spotting and exposing pathologicals. I sense that it is roll up your sleeves time.

And if this is the case it is also time to keep centred, remain conscious of emotional programs, but remember what's actually at stake.

FWIW.

Paddyjohn, there's no need to crack the whip like that and suggest that forum members are pathological because they expressed a different view. I agree that what they did to, and then with, the giraffe was disgusting, but we live in a ponerized world where everyone see things in a screwed-up way, at least from time to time and from issue to issue. That includes yourself. It's not as black-and-white as 'those who see' and 'those who don't'.

In the meantime, they're planning to kill a second giraffe in the same zoo:

Second giraffe named Marius at risk of being put down in Denmark
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/12/second-giraffe-marius-risk-denmark-zoo

Kniall said:
In the meantime, they're planning to kill a second giraffe in the same zoo:

Second giraffe named Marius at risk of being put down in Denmark
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/12/second-giraffe-marius-risk-denmark-zoo

Here are couple of comments to this article:

Denmark is a country with a large agricultural sector and a strong welfare state. They do focus on animal welfare (or at least they claim to), but animal rights among others are neglected.

Bengt Holst, one of the controversial directors at Copenhagen Zoo, has been appointed by the Government as chairman of the official Animal Ethics Committee. Among other things, the AEC has upheld Danish laws allowing zoophilia (rape/sex with animals): Denmark remains one of the few nations in Europe supporting this practice.

It has already been established that Copenhagen Zoo prefers euthanasia over contraception, sterlization, separation, and hand-overs of stock to institutions not affiliated with the EAZA guild.

EAZA zoos don't care about animal rights: where they see an animal they only see a collection of genes, some of which are wanted and others not. They see themselves as the Saviour of nature and wild species.

Jyllands Park zoo is privately owned and in the middle of nowhere. I doubt that they care very much about foreign tourists. Danes, however, are quite excited by their own abuse of rights, and it is conceivable that interest among parts of the population for Jyllands Park may increase.

Copenhagen Zoo, however, is a self-governing trust and, what's more, a member of a European cartel controlling the supply of animals. I think that the leadership - being scientists who fanatically adhere to eugenics - is sitting pretty comfortably for now. Again, a large slice of the Danish media is portraying the zoo leadership as national heroes: for those familiar with Danish affairs and culture this chauvinism would not come as a huge surprise.

Paddyjohn said:
I don't agree, Parallel. Unfair is what happened to the Giraffe, and by extension to the watching children, and by further extension in the advance of the ponerisation of society. 'Trigger-happy' is a ridiculously inappropriate term to use.The Giraffe was shot in the head. I hope your use of said term was not in some way related to that. I don't believe it was - not on a conscious level anyway.
I agree, not an appropriate use of the term in this context, it related to what I think was a too early jump to conclusions and rather harshly. And yes, may also have been a slip response from an inverted part of my emotional nature.

Paddyjohn said:
But what is your own view on it? [...]Might it be that you are using something similar to the 'critical correcting' that SAO described
Yes, I was having difficulties with my critical corrections and desensitization. So, in ways you are right about what made me uncomfortable about your early jump to conclusion, lies with my own inadequacy of coming to terms with pathology. My emotional response to Marius' situation was a development from a hushed and discarded response into a struggle with physical unease and emotional distress, coming to terms with what has been suppressed, which your reply has been helpful to further put a light on, thank you.

I got so angry when I watched this video and read the article. I thought they controlled all potential 'maters'? - maybe they did and just weren't pleased with the outcome!

It is a disgusting and upsetting event, to even show it to children seems pretty messed up. I wish something would have happened to them, or there was some kind of law preventing the same again.

I was thinking about how several people expressed being on the fence about this, and I must admit that my mind was struggling a bit when considering the "critical corrections", because there's a part of me that does want to just break things down to a basic, soulless level. So it seems just as easy to be emotionally
manipulated and letting out horses run away when they should be reigned in as it is to be manipulated into ignoring empathy and ignoring emotional and human impact. It seems that it should always come down to a healthy psychological response, which isn't always obvious because we've all been ponerized and manipulated.

Using my earlier example of Americans being desensitized to everyone from the Middle East, they've also been manipulated on 9/11 to be extremely emotional about the loss of 3000 of their own people which of course was milked by the ptb for every ounce. Just as Israel has been manipulated to see Palestinians as less than human, and yet see the Holocaust as more than what it is, but as a reason to justify absolutely anything.

So it does seem to come down to being able to give everything its due - no more, no less. And that's hard when all our lives we've been either over-giving or under-giving because we never had an example of a healthy emotional development from anyone - not our parents, friends, or society at large.

So personally I agree with all those who said not to bunch Miss K with known pathological in such a harsh and "the jury has spoken" way. It's good to point out pathological influences but we all have them. We're all a work in progress, and we need each other to fix ourselves and figure out what the healthy balance is. So I'd say unless there's evidence that someone isn't just a normal human who errs but is clearly psychopathic or hopelessly broken, a little humbleness goes a long way :)

Also, I think sometimes the very concept of objectivity is confused with "emotionally cold", tho I don't think that's accurate. I think objectivity means acknowledging all the layers of reality - the physical, intellectual, but also emotional and spiritual, and giving everything it's due - no more, no less. And that takes work and time!

Perhaps the article did use a lot of emotional hooks. But it's just as wrong to entirely ignore the ideas such as respect for animals etc. It's too easy to jump too far to one side or the other, since out minds are quite tempted to do both. But in my view, there's definitely enough wrong with what they did.

Paddyjohn said:
Bearing in mind the numbers of forum members that admitted, after the Lisa G affair, to not voicing their concerns and observations because of fear of censure, shouldn't we all be free to voice our concerns?

Paddyjohn,
The rhetorical question above is manipulative. Freedom to voice one's opinions comes with a responsibility to use such freedom wisely and that includes being respectful towards members and demonstrating an ability to hold discussions about topics without "rolling up your sleeves".

Paddyjohn said:
It's not as if alarm bells weren't already ringing with others in this thread. I just put words to it.
How do you know that others agree with you?

[quote author=Paddyjohn]
You say that your actual concern lies with the fact that I bunched Miss K with known pathologicals. They weren't known until people started raising the alarm. And in the worst case they weren't known until serious damage had been done.
[/quote]

I hope you realize the fact that it is a conscious choice of the founders of the forum to err on the side of giving every person the benefit of doubt regarding such matters so that a person who can be helped is given every possible opportunity. This choice is made with full cognizance of what it entails. Going on a pathology watch where we scream psychopath every time a questionable view is expressed goes against the spirit of this forum. Ironically some of the people who claimed or were deemed to be really good at spotting pathology ended up leaving the forum for exhibiting similar characteristics. Something worth keeping in mind.

[quote author=Paddyjohn]
Miss K has demonstrated thinking that shows the possibility of a pathological trait.
[/quote]

Read Kniall's post
[quote author=Kniall]
I agree that what they did to, and then with, the giraffe was disgusting, but we live in a ponerized world where everyone see things in a screwed-up way, at least from time to time and from issue to issue. That includes yourself. It's not as black-and-white as 'those who see' and 'those who don't'.
[/quote]

This is not the first time that you have demonstrated black and white thinking and a kind of "let us get down to fisticuffs" attitude. While you may not be able to control it yet, it would behoove you to remember that you have this bias. This does not mean that you cannot voice your concerns (which is how your self-importance/inner predator may interpret this message) but please make an effort to do so in an externally considerate manner. We need to at least remember and at best choose to aspire if we so wish, to the ideal of "we would rather catch a bullet from a pathological than risk injury to a struggling soul", following the example set by Laura and others.

Well-said, SAO. I agree and it's good and healthy to discuss all this in an open and sincere way, and not to let emotions run away or take a "holier than thou" / black and white attitude. We all DO need each other to calibrate our reading instruments in all kinds of situations. That's what this network is all about, and that's its essential value.

And, as said, we're ALL ponerized in some ways to one degree or another, and need to figure out/see in which ways and work on them with the help of a NETWORK of sincere people with the same AIMS, going in the same direction. Also, giving each thing its due is VERY important. As so many good points have been made in such good and clear ways, I'll just give some more personal examples, for what they're worth, in hopes that it will help others and the discussion in looking at things from many different angles and the widest perspective possible with the greatest context.

But first, Miss.K, you seem to be consistently missing very important points and the crux of the matter. Nature is very old and very wise. Volumes of books can be written about these matters (and I'm going to try very hard from doing so here :P). The Life System is so astonishingly remarkable that it's quite hard to put my points into a concise post, but I'll try. The cosmos is about balance, and will always balance all things at all levels. We can only observe, learn from, and try to align with this process as participants in the whole the best we can.

This is a really tricky thing, obviously, because the whole system is VAST and very complex. BUT, it works (almost) perfectly. Everything at all levels is always coming into balance, but it's not ever reaching a perfect balance or equilibrium, because if it did, everything would probably cease - all flow of energies and information - would become static instead of the extremely complex and dynamic ways the cosmos makes everything possible. Or so I think, as what I'm saying is very abstract, theoretical/philosophical, in a certain sense.

Reread this thread, if you are so inclined, and see if you can find where you keep missing the important points/crux of the matter (as I feel you can potentially really benefit from doing so). Forget about "being right" - set that aside if you can - and see if you can understand what's being pointed out, emotionally AND intellectually/rationally. We've gone back and forth over some of the same points in different ways in different posts, and I'm getting the feeling that you're manifesting somewhat of a "right man syndrome" - being right is uppermost and clouding your ability to see things clearly and from the highest perspective and largest context, I think. Even if I'm wrong, and I very well may be, it's worth going through such exercises to get closer to understanding and truth for all of us participating in this discussion.

Again, try, for the time being, considering that what is being pointed out to you (and generally) may be true (or closer to objective truth). You keep missing the point about the "contract" aspect that was brought up, as one example, which is very important. We are part of the Life System and the Cosmos, and we are given opportunities for life, experiences, and learning that we ought to deeply appreciate and contribute to the whole system in the best ways possible from our level of being, understanding, and appreciation for being part of it all and having the opportunity to learn and participate in it all.

At our BEST, and we are far from it usually, we humans will never be able to understand/comprehend everything on the level of the Cosmos/the whole. So we can't make as good decisions as the Universe does FOR the whole in the "long term," so to speak. Therefore we should be very humble and open to learn what we really CAN do to "help" the overall system in our own small ways that may contribute to the growth, development and well-being of the whole, and ourselves (obviously, part of the whole). Try, if you may, to take this all in and reconsider if what this zoo and the decision makers did was proper in these circumstances, all things considered.

On the point of being traumatized by this (and other similar situations), I have some personal recollections from a very young age. I went on a fishing trip when I was around 4 or 5, if I remember correctly, with my older brother (one and a half years older), father, and some of his "work friends." A couple of these men, one that particularly proved to have many pathological traits over time, brought hunting rifles with them. On our way to the fishing location, they started shooting at birds. My brother and I were very traumatized by the loud noises, and not being prepared for the possibility of killing the birds. I still have problems remembering clearly the whole thing. What I remember is the traumatizing effect on us and our crying.

Another personal anecdotal piece of data is that, although I love animals a whole lot, I've never owned a pet. I've listened to my mother's touching experiences about a couple of pet dogs when she was a child, and my father's with a couple of birds (one being a pigeon nursed back to health when it flew into their balcony and becoming a pet for years), and a turtle. They've conveyed the love, affection, and connection they had with these diverse animals. Obviously, I've also seen many different people with various types of pets in a variety of situations.

There are many different dynamics and attitudes between people and their pets. Some very uplifting and inspiring, others not so much, but all presenting opportunities to learn about humans, animals, and life in general. For whatever reason, I've never owned a pet, but I DO appreciate some of the very special relationships between pets and their owners. There's no "one size fits all," "right/wrong" solution to ANYTHING in life. Neither pet owners, nor non-pet-owners can be said to "hold a higher ethical ground." The devil, as they say, is in the details. Each circumstance is different, and the specifics are very important to say what's "right or wrong." As is said so often on this forum, there's good, there's evil, and there's the circumstances that decide which is which - the Third Force.

Same with the idea of zoos. I can't say categorically that it's wrong or sick or whatever. There's a large spectrum of how zoos can be operated - most importantly with what values and attitudes. Same with raising animals for food, having pets, or anything else - including hunting. Let's try our hardest, as difficult as it is at times (like this), not to fall into black-and-white thinking and get to the crux of the matter as best we can.

Pet owners, zoo operators, animal husbandry operators, all have responsibilities that come with these roles - socio-moral contracts, if you will. Putting down your pet when they're in much pain/very ill health, for instance, is another good way to illustrate that there are many details and nuances to be taken into consideration for what is the right thing to do in a given situation. These are excruciatingly difficult decision for the pet owner, the MORE they love the animal, the BIGGER the responsibility to do what's best in any situation. Again, no fast and easy rules in life - understanding with our whole being should be what's strived for.

Similarly, I don't have children of my own, and don't want or plan to have any, but I LOVE children. One can love and appreciate others' children (almost) as much as one's own. There's no reason to reserve this kind of love for our biological children only. If the world was in a different state, AND there was no overpopulation problem with ponerized humanity, I'd love to have my own kids, hopefully living up to my parental responsibilities to raise healthy, caring and intelligent, happy/fulifilled kids with flying colors (another BIG consideration for NOT having kids, what if I can't meet that responsibility?). But that's not the reality we live in. So, I'll have to "make do" with the satisfaction of seeing others' children grow and develop, and contribute however and whenever appropriate.

In the same way, I interact with and appreciate others' pets, stray animals, etc. I've nursed some wounded birds, dogs, and cats back to health in my life and missed them afterwards and been very much beneficially affected for doing so. That's one of the beauties of life, there are many different ways to experience similar or the same things.

Coming back around, from a certain perspective, The Life System can be very "cruel." It doesn't really care about individuals or even entire species, including humans, but only in preserving and perpetuating the whole system that makes any life possible at all. If we have the right attitude/approach, respect and appreciation, we can easily see that it cares for the whole AS the whole and provides everything necessary for all species and even individuals (almost all) at any given instant/moment under consideration. BUT, again, it's set up to serve the whole - the vast symbiotic, mutually-sustaining system - and no individual or species is or can be so important as to jeopardize the Life/Life Sustaining System.

To come back to more of the main subject, these zoo decision makers seem to be using paramoralisms and paralogical arguments for doing what they want, period. And now doing it again (ironically to another giraffe named Marius at the same zoo), they also seem to be rubbing everyone's noses in it. It's very symbolic that they have a chance of a do-over, and are bent on making the same decisions. Truly humble and caring people know that, no matter how much knowledge they may possess, there's a MUCH vaster amount of knowledge they do not possess. And under every circumstance, they can take all things into consideration and do the best they are able at that time. But these types just want and relish control (and domination) for its own sake, and however they try to spin it, all else is just obfuscation and manipulation.

Sorry for the length of the post.

ADDED: Just saw your post, obyvatel.

I think there is two things that are the grounds for discussion here.

One being the killing a giraffe
and the other being letting children watch the cutting of the body

About the killing of a giraffe, and the contract we have with animals that we domesticate either because we want to eat them, or have them as pets, my thoughts are that I understand the dividing of species of animals one can make. I for example don't eat horse meat, because I had horses as friends/pets/companions, as a child, and the thought of eating one makes me not want to eat. I would not though, call people pathological for killing and eating a horse, unless I would call someone pathological for killing and eating a cow.

To say that we have a contract with the cow that it has agreed to be eaten, I think is on the same level as we have made a contract with lizzies of them to eat us. It is on a much higher level than this. If you go to a cow and makes it understand that you are about to kill and eat it, it certainly won't agree that it has any contract about that, and will try the best it can to not be killed. I don't think it feels worse for a horse to be killed than for a cow. And I don't think it is my place to decide if horses are more deserving of life than cows.

This is why I don't see the killing of a giraffe as worse than the killing of a cow.

I don't see any animals as walking beef, I see all animals as living beings, that equally deserves life. But I do accept that death is a part of the cycle. I would prefer no death and no killing, but that is impossible in this world.
As Lierre Keith points out, even if you go vegan, you will be part of the killing process.

I grew up in the country, and my family had sheeps and rabbits and chickens, that would be at some point killed and eaten. I would name every one of them, care for them, and do my best to ensure that they had a happy life while it lasted, and that when killing time came, that the time of fear and discomfort, would be as brief as possible.
This meant lying to them and betraying their trust. "don't be scared, everything will be fine, you're safe"
It was not so much the death that bothered me as I reasoned that if someone killed me, I would be dead, and thus not scared or in pain, but I felt really bad about lying to them. I chose to, because I would rather feel bad about being an evil lier, than for them to feel scared.

So why not eat horses if I eat sheep, as they are both as deserving of life, and none of them are walking beef to me? Because of my subjective view of horses as being more pets than sheep.
I recon though that the view is subjective, which is why I don't find it objectively wrong to kill and eat a horse.

I think that having animals that one eat, but care for at the same time is hard, and it hurts to betray their trust, but it ensures that they are not tortured as they are on big farms where they don't have a name.

Some of the kids at school were horrified that we ate rabbits, because rabbits are so cute, I found it hypocritical as I didn't see why looks should be what makes you deserving of life (and besides sheeps, cows, and pigs are really cute too)

I know how to kill and skin a rabbit, or a chicken, as I learned it as a kid. I have never killed a larger animal (the local butcher came to kill the sheep for us) and I have wondered if I would be able to. (I'm not sure I would be)
Sometimes I think I'm hypocritical for eating pigs and sheep if I'm not able to kill one. I think that if I'm not able to face what it means to do the killing, I don't deserve the food.

One can say that I was traumatized as a kid because of feeling really bad about lying to my animal friends. But I don't think I would exchange that pain for dividing animals into cute and deserving of life and walking beef.

The dismemberment of the dead body into meat for eating, I didn't find traumatizing. Ones your dead, you're not in your body anymore, and there is no more pain or fear, was what I thought.
And the knowing how to do it might come in handy in the future.

My family only took me to the Zoo once as a kid, and it was never repeated because I cried for hours when I saw the panther, clearly unhappy, pacing back and forth in a cage, enprisoned for life for the entertainment of stupid humans, the second time I went was with school, and I got so depressed when seeing the gorillas that were so clearly aware of the stupid humans watching them, and so clearly bored and in prison.
The giraffes didn't seem so unhappy though. They reminded me of the sheep. calm and mild, chewing on hay, seeming pretty OK with being safe and having each other and food around.

Pain and suffering always borthered me more than death.
I don't think the giraffe Maruis suffered. At one moment it was eating a slice of bread, and the next moment it was dead. It probably had a better life, and died with less fear and pain than most of the cows that are normally fed to the lions.

I don't think I can say wether or not it is traumatizing for the children that watch the body of the giraffe being cut up and fed to the lions. I think it would depend on the children and their parents.
I would guess that most of them have already seen giraffes being killed and eaten by lions on tv.

As for my reason for airing my thoughts here on this, I thought about if I needed to feel I was right, -I don't think so much. But I realized that I was afraid of saying that I saw things differently than the majority, and so I challenged myself to be honest.

In the world that we live in, creatures kill and feed on other creatures. What Gurdjieff called reciprocal maintenance and " one hand washes the other" - a principle that he said applies in the universe at large - takes a particularly bloody form at our level of existence. This fact is perhaps uncomfortable for many of us. From an intellectual perspective we "understand" it. From the physical perspective - as in what is healthy for the sustenance of our bodies- we understand it. However, from the feeling perspective, it may still make us uncomfortable. I think this discomfort sometimes leads us to engage in rationalizations or justifications for what we do and see. Sometimes we also become sentimental towards such issues.

Coming to the topic of the giraffe being killed and fed to the lions, if we choose to break down the incident into pieces and look at each piece separately, and compare the pieces with situations as Miss K has done, specially bringing in how we slaughter some animals for our food, the thought comes up "how is this a special case deserving our energy and attention?" In a certain sense, it is one more pathological act in a ponerized world. This view is in my mind a legitimate but somewhat abstracted view.

When we use the feeling function - which does not chop things up to look at them but evaluates the totality of a situation - we may find ourselves disturbed by this event , as many here do. To me, the contract explanation tries to answer "why" we find ourselves disturbed and "why" this act is evaluated as abhorrent by our feeling center. The explanation of contract can be challenged as Miss K has done asking "does the cow or pig know it has a contract that some day we will kill and eat it" and " how is the giraffe special in a general sense".

I do not have definitive answers to these questions. However, I think that when looking at such events, separating out what the feeling center evaluates and what the thinking center argues or infers may be an useful exercise for personal development.

Fwiw

obyvatel said:
In the world that we live in, creatures kill and feed on other creatures. What Gurdjieff called reciprocal maintenance and " one hand washes the other" - a principle that he said applies in the universe at large - takes a particularly bloody form at our level of existence. This fact is perhaps uncomfortable for many of us. From an intellectual perspective we "understand" it. From the physical perspective - as in what is healthy for the sustenance of our bodies- we understand it. However, from the feeling perspective, it may still make us uncomfortable. I think this discomfort sometimes leads us to engage in rationalizations or justifications for what we do and see. Sometimes we also become sentimental towards such issues.

Coming to the topic of the giraffe being killed and fed to the lions, if we choose to break down the incident into pieces and look at each piece separately, and compare the pieces with situations as Miss K has done, specially bringing in how we slaughter some animals for our food, the thought comes up "how is this a special case deserving our energy and attention?" In a certain sense, it is one more pathological act in a ponerized world. This view is in my mind a legitimate but somewhat abstracted view.

When we use the feeling function - which does not chop things up to look at them but evaluates the totality of a situation - we may find ourselves disturbed by this event , as many here do. To me, the contract explanation tries to answer "why" we find ourselves disturbed and "why" this act is evaluated as abhorrent by our feeling center. The explanation of contract can be challenged as Miss K has done asking "does the cow or pig know it has a contract that some day we will kill and eat it" and " how is the giraffe special in a general sense".

I do not have definitive answers to these questions. However, I think that when looking at such events, separating out what the feeling center evaluates and what the thinking center argues or infers may be an useful exercise for personal development.

Fwiw

Your analytically objective way of deconstructing everything is starting to ring hollow with me, Obyvatel. You objectify the life out of everything. I haven't seen anything of your emotional centre. Maybe I just haven't come across posts that show it.

Going by Miss K's last post (thanks for your post, Miss K) I believe she was doing, in her first and second posts, just what SAO suggested - critically correcting. I found her account of how she felt about 'lying' to her animals when young deeply moving, and it clearly left its mark on her. Although she raised some valid points about our attitudes towards consuming animals her original post was devoid of emotion. Why wouldn't I suspect possible pathological thinking?

Miss K certainly seems to have survived my much criticised act of bunching her with pathologicals. Sometimes we need to throw something into the mix that might seem a little harsh, but can have the effect of breaking through defensive programs, allowing a more honest picture to show through. That's my current belief. No doubt it will be criticised.

I have been having doubts over the last few weeks about whether this network and I can fit comfortably together. Certainly I've received a great deal of less than friendly responses. No doubt that can be defended as mirroring, but I have seen mirroring on this forum that actually demonstrates the compassion behind it. Perhaps my 'straight' talking style (abrasive to some) has stimulated the type of responses I have received. But one would hope that it would have been overcome, or seen through, by ambassadors, mods and the like.

I thank you very much for the help you gave me when I first arrived. I do appreciate that.

I expect someone to come along now and say "don't let the door slam behind you" - I won't.

Hi Paddyjohn

The point is that we must allow individuals to respond back to queries and criticisms. Labeling someone pathological so early is uncalled for. Objectivity is very much necessary in order to get further in the work. Not all are equal, some people have more active emotional centers, some have less and that will have an impact on individual's objective reasoning.

I am a straight no-nonsense talker too in real life but have been learning to exercise control due to the damage it can cause on relationships and during social interaction. This is exactly what external consideration is. Heck, if we understood how to apply external consideration properly to each and every situation, 90% of the work is already done. One of the problems with straight talkers is that they cannot take back straight responses. This is because they are unaware of the impact of their talking on other individuals. It is also somewhat due to their semi-close mindedness. My advice would be to not give up so early. Settle down, cool off, allow some time to pass and you will feel better. Also, open up your mind a little bit and be accepting of other individuals who may be completely different to you.

Sid

On the issue of letting the kids watch i am curious if anyone sees a difference between this, and feeding a mouse to a snake when kids are watching?

davey72 said:
On the issue of letting the kids watch i am curious if anyone sees a difference between this, and feeding a mouse to a snake when kids are watching?
Hi davey72

That is a hypothetical situation eliciting a hypothetical answer which doesn't really help in the current discussion. It is almost like reducing a complex issue to simplistic situations such as "how does it compare to this..'' or "what would you do if this or that...". It doesn't work that way. How about you tell us if you see any difference in the above hypothetical situation?

Paddyjohn said:
Your analytically objective way of deconstructing everything is starting to ring hollow with me, Obyvatel. You objectify the life out of everything. I haven't seen anything of your emotional centre. Maybe I just haven't come across posts that show it.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't there. I can tell you I've read numerous posts by obyvatel that included emotional content, and I don't much care for your comments above that state the contrary. It's pretty much an ad hominem attack. It certainly sounds like you are annoyed by obyvatel's posts. That does not give you the right to imply that he doesn't have an emotional center. And just what does it mean to "objectify the life out of everything"? What's wrong with objectively trying to understand something? That's a pretty big part of what we do here, so if you don't like that you're probably in the wrong bar. What "life" is there in subjective emotional thoughts?

Paddyjohn said:
Going by Miss K's last post (thanks for your post, Miss K) I believe she was doing, in her first and second posts, just what SAO suggested - critically correcting. I found her account of how she felt about 'lying' to her animals when young deeply moving, and it clearly left its mark on her. Although she raised some valid points about our attitudes towards consuming animals her original post was devoid of emotion. Why wouldn't I suspect possible pathological thinking?

I think your reading machine is clearly off, so trying to "diagnose" anyone based on a faulty machine is bad place to start. Going from that to accusing someone of pathological thinking is even worse. There was no basis for it. You can go around doing things like that all you want, but not on this forum.

Paddyjohn said:
Miss K certainly seems to have survived my much criticised act of bunching her with pathologicals. Sometimes we need to throw something into the mix that might seem a little harsh, but can have the effect of breaking through defensive programs, allowing a more honest picture to show through. That's my current belief. No doubt it will be criticised.

This forum revolves around certain principles. One of them is external consideration. If you can't follow the forum guidelines, then you may wish to find a forum that will allow you to continue your harsh, uncalled for, baseless accusations. Miss K is at least not taking the bait and striking back at that with equal harshness.

Paddyjohn said:
I have been having doubts over the last few weeks about whether this network and I can fit comfortably together. Certainly I've received a great deal of less than friendly responses. No doubt that can be defended as mirroring, but I have seen mirroring on this forum that actually demonstrates the compassion behind it. Perhaps my 'straight' talking style (abrasive to some) has stimulated the type of responses I have received. But one would hope that it would have been overcome, or seen through, by ambassadors, mods and the like.

There is a difference between straight talking and being unnecessarily mean. It doesn't appear as though you are capable of doing the former without doing the latter. I would suggest that until you can, you stop your "pot-stirring" and try to actually communicate with others' feelings foremost in your mind. That will probably make things a lot easier on you.

Sid said:
@Miss K.

The way I see it, mother nature has created a role for each and every creature on this planet. Yes, humans eat cows and there are plenty of them on this planet. Giraffes are not endangered but not quite the same number as cows and humans certainly don't eat them as far as I know. We put creatures like giraffe in zoos for our own entertainment, education and amazement. This automatically establishes a contract with that creature where in return of it's services we provide it with a fulfilling life, protection from predators, food and shelter. It's not much different from the relationship humans have with their pets. We give them names, an identity and refer to them as 'he' or 'she' rather than 'it'.

Killing and skinning a healthy giraffe in front of other humans makes it a de-humanising act and breaks the above said contract. It shows disrespect for the creature's life. This would apply to any creature be it a cow or giraffe.

As far as children go, they are too young to be learning where the meat in the supermarket is coming from and the publicised skinning is certainly not the way to do it.

Another thing about comparing farm animals and this case is that on a farm animals are able to perform their job and play their natural role. I think factory farms are a different issue and are abhorrent. But on a sustainable farm cows nurture the perennial grasses, build top soil and do all sorts of great things that heal the land. Same with other farm animals. But zoos are different from the start. They are all about creating some warped spectacle. In this case they killed an imprisoned animal, feed it to another imprisoned animal while, as others have said, making a show out of it. I'd probably feel similarly if kids were taken to a factory farm abattoir. It doesn't seem to me to be a lesson in the life and death cycle, but a sickening display of how we remove life from the equation. I agree there is a contract of sorts for animals under human care, but zoos also violate this from the beginning by caging these poor creatures for entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom