Mother of all gushers - BP Oil Disaster in Gulf of Mexico

jelyfish

A Disturbance in the Force
VIA ATS (abovetopsecret.com) _http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread567266/pg1

_http://pesn.com/2010/05/02/9501643_Mother_of_all_gushers_could_kill_Earths_oceans/

I think the meat of this article was the response by Paul Noel. Most of this is above my head.

Part of Paul Noel's comments:

Controls That Should Have Been In Place

By the way, I am not against drilling it, I am just against doing so without proper controls.

1. The rig that was drilling was not a US Flagged rig. That means US Inspectors were not allowed on board the rig to inspect it. As a matter of National Security under the GATT the USA has a right to demand US Only in various technology. The USA should never allow a foreign flag vessel to drill for oil in the US Economic Zone (200 mile limit).
2. Acoustic automated shut of devices should be required.
3. I think US Federal Inspectors should have to be resident on and inspecting rigs like this 24/7.
4. I think that the drilling should be required to do some smaller holes that deliberately miss the main deposit that test the structure before main drilling operations happen.
5. Careful procedures should be in place to set up wells before they hit the main deposit. The well casing should have to be inserted well before the drill hits the deposit and it should have to be cemented in at least 2 weeks prior to finishing the hole down to the oil or gas. This is to give the cement time to set. The casing should have ridging to make this cement have a tight wedged grip on the miles of rock around it. This is required because the lift pressure on a pipe in this case could easily reach 20 million pounds of lift. This is an insane amount of up pressure. Even at 70,000 psi it would lift about 140 million pounds. (almost 64,000 long tons!)

Scary stuff to me. They don't have the technology for dealing with pressures this high.

[Moderator edit: Deactivated links]

My apologies jelyfish. I forgot to mention that you need to have at least ten posts in the forum to access that section. You will be able to see it once you reach the mark.

Here in the Land Of Plenty (the U.S.), I turned on the morning news shows(Good Morning America, Today) and discovered that the morning show drones at ABC and NBC were clearly avoiding the story unfolding in the Gulf.
For whatever reason, they did about 30 seconds on the main news updates, and then shifted gears completely, talking about anything other than the on-going oil spill.
It seems pretty clear they received marching orders not to dwell on this story, at least for today.
Things got so bad on NBC that the cast of the Today show was treated to a special guest appearance by "Elmo" the talking puppet.
"Elmo" engaged in childish and mindless chatter with the Today show clown Al Roker, and then with the queen of fake emotions, Ann Curry.
The idiocy with "Elmo" was follwed by a segment on plus size models and women's self esteem.

This is the type of manure that's shoveled out to people as relevant information.
Considering that this spill does affect the lives of many Americans in a serious way, I found it interesting that so little time would be spent updating people on this event.
NBC spent weeks covering every aspect of hurricane Katrina, yet suddenly clams up and offers "Elmo" and stories about "plus size models" as relevant news.

Addendum:
The nightly news on ABC and NBC had much more coverage of the oil spill.
Perhaps the silly antics of the morning shows were filler until a more coordinated story could be delivered to the public.

Windmill knight said:
Hi jelyfish. About ATS, this is most likely a disinfo website. You may wish to spend some time reading this thread.

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying that the news item is disinfo because it was being discussed in ATS. I haven't had a chance to have look at it in detail myself, but so far it looks interesting enough to deserve our attention.

jelyfish said:
Scary stuff to me. They don't have the technology for dealing with pressures this high.

One thought I had after reading the piece on SOTT was that they didn't anticipate such a high pressure in this area because something inside of the earth is quickly heating up. In other words, our scientists, or at least oil/gas scientists, just didn't see it coming.

With the recent earthquakes all around the planet in the aftermath of the Chilean earthquake earlier this year, along with other signs of methane release that have been persistently occurring over the past few years, one wonders just how much inner-planetary forces played a role in this disaster?

Then again, it very well could have been some other cause too.

This article, http://www.sott.net/articles/show/207913-Whistleblower-BP-Risks-More-Massive-Catastrophes-in-Gulf, provides more clues as to why this disaster occurred. Shocking but not really shocking as to criminal disregard for proper procedures and regulations. Funny how having psychopaths in charge of everything can have these sort of consequences. Maybe they can ask their 4D friends how to fix this blunder? Maybe they can have one of those underwater ufos plug up the hole.

_http://www.guidrynews.com/story.aspx?id=1000026238

Expert Views on the Deepwater Horizon Incident and Aftermath

by George Gould
Monday, May 03, 2010

12310OilSpill.jpg

I had the pleasure of listening in to a phone conference on Friday organized by Morgan Stanley’s oil field services’ analyst, Ole Sorer. The topic was the Deepwater Horizon disaster, including what went wrong, who is liable, and what some of the longer-term impacts to the E&P industry might be. The discussion leaders included Mike Smith, a 15-year veteran of Transocean (since retired) and two attorneys who have dealt with oil spill litigation in the past. I learned a lot, and thought I’d share some of their perspectives with the readers of Seis Matters.

According to the Transocean veteran, BP had discovered significant quantities of oil and gas at Macondo, the name of the field that the Deepwater Horizon rig was drilling. BP had reached total depth and penetrated the reservoir horizon at 18,000 feet. Halliburton had cemented the last casing string in the well and inserted several cement plugs within it which BP intended to drill out at some future point when they returned to Macondo to begin full-field development.

With the cement plugs in place, Transocean had begun the process of removing the drill string in the well (used during the cementing operation) and had begun to replace the heavier mud in the wellbore with less dense sea water. This is apparently a common practice, as the plugs are designed to contain the reservoir fluids downhole. Effectively, the Deepwater Horizon was hours away from moving off the Macondo location.

At this point, some speculation begins. The leading hypothesis is that the cement plugs failed. The drilling crew wouldn’t be expecting a failure and perhaps weren’t monitoring the systems that detect an influx of fluids into the well, drill string, and drill pipe riser. Unbeknownst to those on the rig, a mixture of gas and water was coming up the drill string and riser to the surface and the deck of the Deepwater Horizon. The volatile mixture of high-pressure hydrocarbons likely ignited quickly and unexpectedly, killing the 11 individuals who were on the drilling floor itself.

Normally, one of these drillers would have hit the “panic button” that closed the blowout preventers (BOP) on the seabed, but likely didn’t have the time to do it. The toolpusher a bit farther away also has access to a panic button, but himself may have been incapacitated in the explosion or, if the electrical switches to the BOP were cut when the riser exploded, may have been unsuccessful in his attempt.

The next line of defense is called a “dead man’s switch” and is supposed to activate the BOP on the sea floor if electrical and hydraulic communications with the rig are lost. If this switch had activated properly, five hydraulic “rams” under thousands of pounds of pressure, including one “shear ram” that acts like a pair of scissors, should have cut the drill string and closed in the well. The shear ram is designed to cut up to 13-3/8″ casing, which is far larger than what was in the well at the time.

For reasons not understood, the BOP’s either didn’t activate at all or didn’t do their job as intended. ROV pictures from the seabed show drill pipe extending out of the BOP (which should have been sheared off) and the oil is leaking at this point, as well as at several points above it where a part of the drilling riser remains.

As for liability, it primarily rests with BP according to this panel of experts. Maritime law has a precedent called “the anchored tanker” that says that the owner of the anchored tanker is liable for any damage resulting from it, even if that tanker is hit by another ship that was behaving in a reckless or negligent manner. BP is the owner of the anchored tanker in this case.

Moreover, the typical 100+ page drilling contract specifies that the rig owner (Transocean) is liable only for spills that happen in the course of the drilling operation (such as a tank of diesel rupturing and spilling overboard). In the case of a blowout, all drilling contracts specify that those are the responsibility of the oil company that has contracted the rig (BP in this case) and that most of them even specify that the oil company will “protect and indemnify” the rig owner even if they are shown to be reckless, negligent, or had behaved with gross misconduct.

It would appear that this will be hard for BP to prove, especially since the Deepwater Horizon was the “top performing rig” for BP worldwide, with an unmatched safety and operational performance record and a crew that had been on board more or less continuously since 2001. Net-net, it sounds like BP is going to shoulder the lion’s share of the liability for this accident and clean-up.

As for fall-out, there are three expected ramifications. The first is the “natural resource damage” that will be incurred (presumably by BP) as marine habitat, fisheries, etc. are shut-in and temporarily or permanently damaged. These costs, primarily resulting from jury awards or settlements in commercial litigation, are expected to far outweigh the clean-up costs (which themselves are estimated to be approaching $1 billion).

The second impact will likely be increased government intervention. The participants on the call don’t believe that there will be a blanket ban on offshore drilling (despite some White House commentary suggesting this earlier today) but they do see Congress spending significant time on the holistic topic of offshore drilling in the years ahead. In their opinions, this could actually be a good thing as it might provide a more consistent and stable regulatory regime for E&P operators.

Lastly, they expect higher costs to conduct offshore E&P operations. Similar to Congress mandating double-hulled tankers after the Exxon Valdez spill, they expect a host of regulations to be put in place to add “double and triple redundancy” in offshore operations to prevent incidents like the Deepwater Horizon explosion and the Macondo blowout and spill from repeating in the future.

A truly unfortunate incident in every sense.

I seriously doubt that the BP psychopaths will be emptying out their Swiss bank accounts to pay for this disaster. We, the consumers, can expect to pick up the tab once again.

What's gonna happen when the oil hits our Gulf Coast here in Northwest Florida? Our local economy will be devastated...
This area was once known as the "little fishing village" with big business in the tourism industry. With the majority of our businesses being dependent on fresh seafood, local charter/fishing boats and tourism, we are sure to fall...at least for a couple of years :cry:

Hi ethnicsoup. I merged your topic with this one in order to keep the discussion in one place.

Added: I also moved this topic to Environmental Issues.

This has happened at the worst possible moment for most coastal birds - right in the middle of the breeding season. :(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Headlines -

Gulf Coast bird colonies at risk from oil spill

(Reuters) - For the birds that nest in the fragile marshes, swamps and barrier islands of the U.S. Gulf Coast, the timing of a massive oil slick threatening the shore could not be worse.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6435EZ20100504?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2Fenvironment+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Environment%29

Being an expert at nothing at all, I have a few questions regarding this oil spill that hoppefully you readers or whomever can help me with. First lets start off with the "facts" that I am aware of to date:

1. The oil rig that was set to drill into this deposit is one of the,if not THE largest rigs of it's kind.
2. The reason it exploded was that once it tapped into the deposit the pressure was many times greater than the rig could handle, which means...
3. Nothing in our present human technology could even come close to intervening this volcano of oil spewing out.
4. A new technique has been implemented which is spraying from planes a "dispersant" to dissolve or evaporate the oil before it hits the surface.

Lovely.

Their next step is to drop 100 ton domes over the 3 main leaks (if I am hearing correctly that here are in fact 3 of them)......5000 feet below the ocean of water.

All i can picture in my mind's eye is the little boy with his finger in the dyke.
I can't help but feel VERY bad about this situation and it has overwhelmed my thoughts this past week....

Am i over-reacting or does the REAL matter of this story dwarf every disaster we have seen in this civilization?
One thing I haven't seen ANYONE talk about ,here or anywhere in the MSM is....How is this going to impact the "conveyor" that swirls around the Atlantic?
Could they actually be trying to cover up the end of humanity as we know it??
All I seem to hear or read about for comments is "oh this is just another ploy to stop drilling " or "oh another excuse to jack up oil prices" ......ummm excuse me
What about the eshcatological implications of this ????????? Or am I just plain paranoid-crazy?

Danny said:
Being an expert at nothing at all, I have a few questions regarding this oil spill that hoppefully you readers or whomever can help me with. First lets start off with the "facts" that I am aware of to date:

1. The oil rig that was set to drill into this deposit is one of the,if not THE largest rigs of it's kind.
2. The reason it exploded was that once it tapped into the deposit the pressure was many times greater than the rig could handle, which means...
3. Nothing in our present human technology could even come close to intervening this volcano of oil spewing out.
4. A new technique has been implemented which is spraying from planes a "dispersant" to dissolve or evaporate the oil before it hits the surface.

Lovely.

Their next step is to drop 100 ton domes over the 3 main leaks (if I am hearing correctly that here are in fact 3 of them)......5000 feet below the ocean of water.

All i can picture in my mind's eye is the little boy with his finger in the dyke.
I can't help but feel VERY bad about this situation and it has overwhelmed my thoughts this past week....

Am i over-reacting or does the REAL matter of this story dwarf every disaster we have seen in this civilization?
One thing I haven't seen ANYONE talk about ,here or anywhere in the MSM is....How is this going to impact the "conveyor" that swirls around the Atlantic?
Could they actually be trying to cover up the end of humanity as we know it??
All I seem to hear or read about for comments is "oh this is just another ploy to stop drilling " or "oh another excuse to jack up oil prices" ......ummm excuse me
What about the eshcatological implications of this ????????? Or am I just plain paranoid-crazy?

I had the same questions in my mind about this. Particularly since I read a few days ago that someone "shorted" an oil spill in the Gulf one day before this happened (in order to make $ millions/billions). It seems to have been planned.....

Back
Top Bottom