Mother of all gushers - BP Oil Disaster in Gulf of Mexico

Sonrisa said:
I had the same questions in my mind about this. Particularly since I read a few days ago that someone "shorted" an oil spill in the Gulf one day before this happened (in order to make $ millions/billions). It seems to have been planned.....

Well, the "shorted gulf of mexico immediately prior the explosion" was presented as satire by Andy Borowitz on Huffington Post originally. Sott.net caught it here,
Satire: Goldman Sachs Reveals it Shorted Gulf of Mexico. Apparently Borowitz lends us an elite Jew perspective, and as commenters on that page mention, "Utterly believable."

Danny said:
I can't help but feel VERY bad about this situation and it has overwhelmed my thoughts this past week....

Am i over-reacting or does the REAL matter of this story dwarf every disaster we have seen in this civilization?

I know the overwhelmed concerns about it. Reports indicate there certainly is potential for it to dwarf known disasters. Reportedly the 'Big Oil Chernobyl' in the Gulf is gushing 5,000 barrels a day, but the PR moved to provide the upper potential of 50,000 barrels per day. Veterans Today had this sober article examining that reality.
Leaked report: Government fears Deepwater Horizon well could become unchecked gusher
_http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/05/03/leaked-report-government-fears-deepwater-horizon-well-could-become-unchecked-gusher/
[quote author=Veterans Today]
In this case, an order of magnitude higher would mean the volume of oil coming from the well could be 10 times higher than the 5,000 barrels a day coming out now. That would mean 50,000 barrels a day, or 2.1 million gallons a day.
[/quote]

Since Deepwater Horizon exploded and caught fire April 20th, I calculate that would mean upwards of 80,000-some barrels or 3.3 million gallons of oil have erupted into the Gulf by now (on the conservative estimates) but if the nightmare scenario is happening that would be 800,000 barrels or 33 million gallons.

The Exxon Valdez dumped 10.8 million US gallons into Prince William Sound and I got to see that damage. Up here in the PNW where I've lived most my life we've been watching the decimation of the Puget Sound for decades where contaminated runoff dumps an Exxon Valdez every two years. I've read the damage to the Gulf is unestimable and given these baseline experiences that leaves me dumbfounded at the horror of what's unfolding.

I think the crisis in the Gulf will depend on what the real outflow is and although they're moving an oil containent structure into place it sounds like it could fail in which case the worst case scenario would role for 2 months.

Oil containment structure moves into position
_http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/06/AR2010050606403.html
[quote author=Steven Mufson, Washington Post]
HOUSTON -- BP prepared to lower a 100-ton steel box the size of a small townhouse into the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday in a perilous and technically challenging effort to capture most of the oil leaking from a damaged well 5,000 feet below the surface.

The box, tethered by cables to a crane on a barge, was expected to be plunged into the water Thursday night and lowered to the sea floor over more than four hours.

If successful, by Sunday, the structure will contain 85 percent of the oil and gas from a leak in a ruptured pipe known as the riser, funneling it to the surface, where the gas will be burned and the oil will be transferred to barges or tankers. If the box fails, the amount of oil gushing into the gulf could increase as much as tenfold and continue for at least two months, experts said.
[/quote]

I think there is certainly cause for concern and close observation for the implications could be staggering.

Whether by design or accidental the disaster scenario and laws and funding will come into play and of course ecological damages are untold still.

Danny said:
Being an expert at nothing at all, I have a few questions regarding this oil spill that hoppefully you readers or whomever can help me with. First lets start off with the "facts" that I am aware of to date:

1. The oil rig that was set to drill into this deposit is one of the,if not THE largest rigs of it's kind.
2. The reason it exploded was that once it tapped into the deposit the pressure was many times greater than the rig could handle, which means...
3. Nothing in our present human technology could even come close to intervening this volcano of oil spewing out.
4. A new technique has been implemented which is spraying from planes a "dispersant" to dissolve or evaporate the oil before it hits the surface.

Lovely.

Their next step is to drop 100 ton domes over the 3 main leaks (if I am hearing correctly that here are in fact 3 of them)......5000 feet below the ocean of water.

All i can picture in my mind's eye is the little boy with his finger in the dyke.
I can't help but feel VERY bad about this situation and it has overwhelmed my thoughts this past week....

Am i over-reacting or does the REAL matter of this story dwarf every disaster we have seen in this civilization?
One thing I haven't seen ANYONE talk about ,here or anywhere in the MSM is....How is this going to impact the "conveyor" that swirls around the Atlantic?
Could they actually be trying to cover up the end of humanity as we know it??
All I seem to hear or read about for comments is "oh this is just another ploy to stop drilling " or "oh another excuse to jack up oil prices" ......ummm excuse me
What about the eshcatological implications of this ????????? Or am I just plain paranoid-crazy?

Herakles said:
Whether by design or accidental the disaster scenario and laws and funding will come into play and of course ecological damages are untold still.

Your idea here might hold water imo Herakles. Like many other 'breaking news' stories at the moment, this one ignites emotions in many. Another distraction perhaps? Maybe not, but it would fit the current trend of events the media is focusing on.

There sure appears to be a lot of haziness surrounding this event. By design?

Looks like the inevitable has finally happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Headlines -

Oil slick hits Chandeleur Islands off Louisiana

Oil from a massive slick in the Gulf of Mexico has started washing ashore on an island chain off the coast of Louisiana, US officials have confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8666276.stm

Not a bad article at truthout, kind of an executive summary of
the conspiracy theories surrounding this sordid incident:

_http://www.truthout.org/was-gulf-oil-spill-act-war-you-betcha59224

Act of war? Force Obama to use a nuke before United Nations Review
Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons ?
Halliburton? Sorcha Faal? Since when did truthout get so 'broad'?

Sonrisa said:
I had the same questions in my mind about this. Particularly since I read a few days ago that someone "shorted" an oil spill in the Gulf one day before this happened (in order to make $ millions/billions). It seems to have been planned.....

Sonrisa, there is no such thing as a short position on oil spills in the gulf.

broken.english said:
Sonrisa said:

Sonrisa, there is no such thing as a short position on oil spills in the gulf.
Sorry, in my haste and horror reading the article, I missed the all-important first word in the title: "Satire." My mistake.

Perhaps some of the truth about the event is starting to emerge. However, the explanation about the build up of methane gas which caused the explosion (mentioned in the article below) is maybe misleading. Perhaps it was not due to some aspects of drilling operations that went wrong but connected to natural earth changes - releases of methane gas associated underwater volcanic activity somewhere in the region?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlines-

Methane gas bubble sparked oil-rig blast: documents

Timeline provides account of cause behind explosion that killed 11 workers, pouring millions of gallons of oil into Gulf

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/methane-gas-bubble-sparked-oil-rig-blast-documents/article1561343/?cmpid=rss1

BP Insider: Massive Dead Zone Could Be Produced by Gulf BP-Congress Catastrophe

by Rob Kall
OpEdNews
May 8, 2010

A BP insider, providing information to OpEdNEws.com, reports that scientists and engineers, fearing the worst, have envisioned a worst case scenario,

"It could very well be that the entire Gulf and the East coast of Florida could become dead zones, with no aquatic life at all."

BP is not just the oil company with the worst safety record in America. It is also a criminal company, currently on criminal probation, with numerous other offenses as well. Any human with this kind of record would be jailed.

Part of the reason this situation now exists is because BP secured a release from being required to use back-up acoustic coupler shut-off valves from Dick Cheney and the Bush administration, in 2003, when Cheney held secret meetings with energy executives-- the one the Supreme Court protected the secrecy of.

BP and the entire oil industry has been enabled by the Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service (MMS) a division that has, to a large extent, been handed over to industry to administer and run, with former industry employees in key roles, with attention to regulations ignored or decided by industry companies, not government regulators. My source informs me that "MMS is the same failed organization that allowed the Massey mining company to get away with all its violations." While immediate calls for congressional hearings and investigations of MMS and everything surrounding the Gulf BP-Congress Catastrophe would seem to be an obvious response, my source reports that the oil industry does not want hearings now, so they're focusing attention on stopping the leaks, as a distraction.

There are many companies involved in this catastrophe though, not just BP. Anadarko Petroleum and Mitsui are minority shareholders in the oil field-- also potentially responsible for damages.

The company which owned the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig that BP subcontracted was Transocean.

Haliburton was doing the capping of the well about the time of the incident that caused the explosions, fire and sinking of the Deepwater Horizon Drilling Rig. Normally, a drilling rig is used to drill the well. Then the well is capped, taking the piping and encasing it in cement to make it more sturdy and stable. The well is temporarily closed, with about 50 feet of pipe extending from the well-head. Then a processing rig is brought in to operate the well and tap the oil from it. The processing rig sets up new, processing piping and re-opens the well.

But something went very wrong. Apparently, during the well-head capping, a natural gas pocket came to well-head -- that's what blew the rig up, killed the 11 people and kept feeding the fire. The oil in the well is mixed with natural gas, which is dissolved into the oil, like the fizz in soda pop. When the gas pocket it the Deepwater Horizon rig, it escaped, under the lower pressure, and flowed until it encountered some source of ignition, which caused it to explode. Gas is still a problem because of the leaking well. The deployment of the cone that BP is in the process of lowering by winch, to the well head, about a mile down, was delayed because of fear that sparks caused by scratching of the cone against the ship carrying it would ignite natural gas in the area. They had to wait until winds blew it away. (If the natural gas is that dangerous there, why isn't anyone talking about the possibility that it's also affecting sea life or even humans in the threatened areas of Louisiana and the surrounding environs.)

The plan for the cone is to place it over the leaking oil pipe. It has piping connected to it that will, hopefully draw the oil to the surface, where it can be put in an oil [...?]

According to my source, the Macondo oil field, owned/leased by BP-- the one where the well is spewing a "volcano" of oil, at what some experts estimate, based on oil slick size reported by NOAA, the leak is "throwing off 25-26,000 barrels a day." That's over a million gallons a day, far more than the 200,000 most media organizations are reporting. Reportedly, when the oil was pumping out of the well, at the surface, it was coming out at a rate of 8,000 barrels a day. That means that, without pumping, just from the pressure within the well, after rising through 5,000 feet of ocean water, there was still 8,000 barrels a day of pressure. This suggests that the release at sea-floor level would be far greater. My source reports that the pressure in the well was reported to be 135-165,000 PSi. That's massive.

In addition, the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig sunk with 770,000 gallons of diesel fuel on board. That may also be leaking.

The real danger, my source reports, is that the pipe and incomplete well-head will deteriorate as the highly pressurized mix of oil, dirt and rock that is spewing out of the wellhead abrades the ten inch pipe, then the 24 inch wellhead. If that happens things will get much worse. There are an estimated 44 million barrels of oil reserve in the Macondo oil field-- about 1.8 billion gallons.

According to my source, the leaking Macondo field oil well is one of about a dozen mile deep wells BP has drilled. None of them have backup remote activation acoustic blow-out preventers.
These back-up units are built so a ship at the surface of the sea can produce a sound at a certain frequency which the acoustic activator recognizes and activates, closing the well opening. These are required in wells drilled in Europe and Asia. In total, there are about 4000 undersea oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico.

source: OpEdNews

The Cover-up: BP's Crude Politics and the Looming Environmental Mega-Disaster

by Wayne Madsen
Oilprice.com
May 8, 2010

Wane Madsen Report (WMR) has been informed by sources in the US Army Corps of Engineers, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and Florida Department of Environmental Protection that the Obama White House and British Petroleum (BP), which pumped $71,000 into Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign -- more than John McCain or Hillary Clinton, are covering up the magnitude of the volcanic-level oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and working together to limit BP's liability for damage caused by what can be called a "mega-disaster."

Obama and his senior White House staff, as well as Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, are working with BP's chief executive officer Tony Hayward on legislation that would raise the cap on liability for damage claims from those affected by the oil disaster from $75 million to $10 billion. However, WMR's federal and Gulf state sources are reporting the disaster has the real potential cost of at least $1 trillion. Critics of the deal being worked out between Obama and Hayward point out that $10 billion is a mere drop in the bucket for a trillion dollar disaster but also note that BP, if its assets were nationalized, could fetch almost a trillion dollars for compensation purposes. There is talk in some government circles, including FEMA, of the need to nationalize BP in order to compensate those who will ultimately be affected by the worst oil disaster in the history of the world.

Plans by BP to sink a 4-story containment dome over the oil gushing from a gaping chasm one kilometer below the surface of the Gulf, where the oil rig Deepwater Horizon exploded and killed 11 workers on April 20, and reports that one of the leaks has been contained is pure public relations disinformation designed to avoid panic and demands for greater action by the Obama administration, according to FEMA and Corps of Engineers sources. Sources within these agencies say the White House has been resisting releasing any "damaging information" about the oil disaster. They add that if the ocean oil geyser is not stopped within 90 days, there will be irreversible damage to the marine eco-systems of the Gulf of Mexico, north Atlantic Ocean, and beyond. At best, some Corps of Engineers experts say it could take two years to cement the chasm on the floor of the Gulf.

Only after the magnitude of the disaster became evident did Obama order Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to declare the oil disaster a "national security issue." Although the Coast Guard and FEMA are part of her department, Napolitano's actual reasoning for invoking national security was to block media coverage of the immensity of the disaster that is unfolding for the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean and their coastlines.

From the Corps of Engineers, FEMA, the Environmental Protection Agency, Coast Guard, and Gulf state environmental protection agencies, the message is the same: "we've never dealt with anything like this before."

The Obama administration also conspired with BP to fudge the extent of the oil leak, according to our federal and state sources. After the oil rig exploded and sank, the government stated that 42,000 gallons per day was gushing from the seabed chasm. Five days later, the federal government upped the leakage to 210,000 gallons a day.

However, WMR has been informed that submersibles that are monitoring the escaping oil from the Gulf seabed are viewing television pictures of what is a "volcanic-like" eruption of oil. Moreover, when the Army Corps of Engineers first attempted to obtain NASA imagery of the Gulf oil slick -- which is larger than that being reported by the media -- it was turned down. However, National Geographic managed to obtain the satellite imagery shots of the extent of the disaster and posted them on their web site.

There is other satellite imagery being withheld by the Obama administration that shows what lies under the gaping chasm spewing oil at an ever-alarming rate is a cavern estimated to be around the size of Mount Everest. This information has been given an almost national security-level classification to keep it from the public, according to our sources.

The Corps and Engineers and FEMA are quietly critical of the lack of support for quick action after the oil disaster by the Obama White House and the US Coast Guard. Only recently, has the Coast Guard understood the magnitude of the disaster, dispatching nearly 70 vessels to the affected area. WMR has also learned that inspections of off-shore rigs' shut-off valves by the Minerals Management Service during the Bush administration were merely rubber-stamp operations, resulting from criminal collusion between Halliburton and the Interior Department's service, and that the potential for similar disasters exists with the other 30,000 off-shore rigs that use the same shut-off valves.

The impact of the disaster became known to the Corps of Engineers and FEMA even before the White House began to take the magnitude of the impending catastrophe seriously. The first casualty of the disaster is the seafood industy, with not just fishermen, oystermen, crabbers, and shrimpers losing their jobs, but all those involved in the restaurant industry, from truckers to waitresses, facing lay-offs.

The invasion of crude oil into estuaries like the oyster-rich Apalachicola Bay in Florida spell disaster for the seafood industry. However, the biggest threat is to Florida's Everglades, which federal and state experts fear will be turned into a "dead zone" if the oil continues to gush forth from the Gulf chasm. There are also expectations that the oil slick will be caught up in the Gulf stream off the eastern seaboard of the United States, fouling beaches and estuaries like the Chesapeake Bay, and ultimately target the rich fishing grounds of the Grand Banks off Newfoundland.

WMR has also learned that 36 urban areas on the Gulf of Mexico are expecting to be confronted with a major disaster from the oil volcano in the next few days. Although protective water surface boons are being laid to protect such sensitive areas as Alabama's Dauphin Island, the mouth of the Mississippi River, and Florida's Apalachicola Bay, Florida, there is only 16 miles of boons available for the protection of 2,276 miles of tidal shoreline in the state of Florida.

Emergency preparations in dealing with the expanding oil menace are now being made for cities and towns from Corpus Christi, Texas, to Houston, New Orleans, Gulfport, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa-St.Petersburg-Clearwater, Sarasota-Bradenton, Naples, and Key West. Some 36 FEMA-funded contracts between cities, towns, and counties and emergency workers are due to be invoked within days, if not hours, according to WMR's FEMA sources.

There are plans to evacuate people with respiratory problems, especially those among the retired senior population along the west coast of Florida, before officials begin burning surface oil as it begins to near the coastline.

There is another major threat looming for inland towns and cities. With hurricane season in effect, there is a potential for ocean oil to be picked up by hurricane-driven rains and dropped into fresh water lakes and rivers, far from the ocean, thus adding to the pollution of water supplies and eco-systems.

source: Oilprice.com

This is a really big issue we have here, like you guys said the human race and many animals are in harms way because of mans greed. This spill is so big that it can be seen from from space. Heres a quote from Mike Adams : "Already these slicks are making their way into Gulf wetlands and beaches where they are destroying birds, fish, and even oyster beds. This is disastrous for both the seafood industry and the people whose livelihoods depend on it. It's also devastating to the local wildlife which could begin to die off from petroleum toxicity. Various ecosystems around the world could be heavily impacted by this spill in ways that we don't even yet realize."

http://www.naturalnews.com/028749_Gulf_of_Mexico_oil_spill.html

this is making me really sad :( I hate oil spills and seeing all the dead birds and animals. the dome containment plan failed, now it could be weeks until the spill is slowed significantly. :jawdrop:

I write a friend's comments here:

The current incident is related to an experiment. It is conducted with the intention of extracting oil. At the same time another "thing" is injected inside (¿gas?). This is in order to protect the geological container, for not loosing pressure.

¿Why?
There is a need for testing before using it for real.

¿Where this technique will be used for real?
Below Haiti.
It is said that a precious and valueless oil deposit is there.
The geology is delicate because the entire island is sustained by this deposit.
Extracting the oil could lead the island to collapse.
So a technique is required to perform the extraction and keep the pressure.
The entire value of this deposit may be around 500 times the value of the Venezuela deposits.
Venezuela deposits provides around the 11% of USA oil imports.

If this information is accurate, taking over its oil reserve seems to me a point ¿for invading Haiti?

jordifs said:
I write a friend's comments here:

The current incident is related to an experiment. It is conducted with the intention of extracting oil. At the same time another "thing" is injected inside (¿gas?). This is in order to protect the geological container, for not loosing pressure.

¿Why?
There is a need for testing before using it for real.

¿Where this technique will be used for real?
Below Haiti.
It is said that a precious and valueless oil deposit is there.
The geology is delicate because the entire island is sustained by this deposit.
Extracting the oil could lead the island to collapse.
So a technique is required to perform the extraction and keep the pressure.
The entire value of this deposit may be around 500 times the value of the Venezuela deposits.
Venezuela deposits provides around the 11% of USA oil imports.

If this information is accurate, taking over its oil reserve seems to me a point ¿for invading Haiti?

I am just wondering how your friend came up with this bit of news? If it is accurate, yes, that would explain Haiti. But it could be mere speculation. Do you know what his the above is based on?

Sometimes I tried to corroborate information he comments with me. I cannot validate the information. But I trust him so I really did not care "too much". I know his engineering expertise was the key to meet people around the world. Some of them in the military or indirectly working for them.

My last post is written because I would like to find someone with a link or similar information to comment on. Perhaps validate. He also told me about other issues:
- a plastic engineered to make reusable coffins. The idea is to incinerate the coffin and obtain a plastic liquid that can be used again to make more.
- a new russian heavy air ship that do not use computers. It uses some old electric design wich is resistant to EMF pulses
- a big mountain in Australia that is surrounded by military like personnel, dressed with black suites and a wierd logo (israel flag with black background color). It is said that inside the mountain something is trembling (moving).
- a secret meeting in Libela (Somalia) for all religion in the world. On this meeting someone said that the time comes for using the "Ark of the Covenant".

I expect this year to validate someting and even keep for my self a gadget, an object I can show.

jordifs said:

The only problematic thing about this premise is that, if it is true that oil is abiotic and in no short supply (despite what is described otherwise in the mainstream media), then the drive to find new sources for oil becomes a bit less convincing. What makes more sense to me is that the occupation of Haiti could be used as a strategic maneuver to contain "rogue" Latin American states such as Venezuela. If this is the case, then the oil story would make a convenient cover.

jordifs said:
I expect this year to validate someting and even keep for my self a gadget, an object I can show.

Can you clarify? Do you mean that you would get this from your friend?

Back
Top Bottom