my folky blues original music

Re: my original music

ok, so I said I would do one a week, this one is called Oars in the Water, it might need a bridge, but for now I kept it simple :) also no with more vocals and less guitar ;)

https://soundcloud.com/machines-of-me/oars-in-the-water-live

Oars in the Water

Something deep inside the well of the unknown
is tearing me apart,
my soul becoming whole

I didn't know I wasn't there
the seed to the oak
all these lessons are showing me the shore
the water and the oars

The soldier and the bear once fought to the death
And now I can let go a part of my shadow

the seed to the oak
the water and the oars

987baz said:
ok, so I said I would do one a week, this one is called Oars in the Water, it might need a bridge, but for now I kept it simple :) also no with more vocals and less guitar ;)

Oars in the Water

is tearing me apart,
my soul becoming whole

the seed to the oak
the water and the oars

the seed to the oak
the water and the oars

987baz,

I think that is a big improvement. I could hear most of the words fine but I notice that for some reason the words starting with vowels or containing "O" and "A" are kind of running together.

Oak sounds like "ahh" to me. Maybe it's just my ears.

In the line "The soldier and the bear once fought to the death" The bolded words kind just ran together.

I think your voice has a lot of expression and you maybe have a certain style in mind. I think most of us tend to like other singers/groups and unconsciously imitate a style/sound. It's mostly hearing the lyrics I have difficulty in hearing. I know there are tricks some singers use for certain words that are difficult to sing and keep the musical quality so they drop certain letters etc. I am not trained so I don't know the technical term.

I never took any singing lessons but after looking for some examples I found this short singing lesson video. Maybe I'll check out some more of them too.

https://youtu.be/HZOTrjybMuY

Just the creativity of writing your own songs is not something everyone has so I think you should keep on keeping on. :)

"The soldier and the bear once fought to the death" -- Is Russia on your mind with this line? That's what I was thinking when I heard it.

Hi baz. I like the song, but I would have to agree with goyacobol, about the vocals.

To me, a singer/songwriter is a communicator. And you seem to hold your vocals, or your communication a little too close to your vest.

I think you need to get it out there a little more, spoken/sung a little more clearly, and with a little more confidence.

The line, "The soldier and the bear once fought to the death" is pretty powerful IMO, but it is hard to make out in the song.

Cheers

goyacobol said:
987baz said:

Oars in the Water

is tearing me apart,
my soul becoming whole

the seed to the oak
the water and the oars

the seed to the oak
the water and the oars

987baz,

I think that is a big improvement. I could hear most of the words fine but I notice that for some reason the words starting with vowels or containing "O" and "A" are kind of running together.

Oak sounds like "ahh" to me. Maybe it's just my ears.

In the line "The soldier and the bear once fought to the death" The bolded words kind just ran together.

I think your voice has a lot of expression and you maybe have a certain style in mind. I think most of us tend to like other singers/groups and unconsciously imitate a style/sound. It's mostly hearing the lyrics I have difficulty in hearing. I know there are tricks some singers use for certain words that are difficult to sing and keep the musical quality so they drop certain letters etc. I am not trained so I don't know the technical term.

I never took any singing lessons but after looking for some examples I found this short singing lesson video. Maybe I'll check out some more of them too.

https://youtu.be/HZOTrjybMuY

Just the creativity of writing your own songs is not something everyone has so I think you should keep on keeping on. :)

"The soldier and the bear once fought to the death" -- Is Russia on your mind with this line? That's what I was thinking when I heard it.

Thanks goyacobal :)

It's interesting that you point out that the lyrics are hard to understand, I tend to mumble in my speech too, something I am aware of, usually because my brain runs faster than my mouth, and so it seems this speech pattern has run into my singing as well. I guess I do have a certain style of singing, not that I am trying to emulate anyone in particular, but yes, we all wear our influences as it were on our sleeves. I would like to find a way to still keep my own style but have greater annunciation, something to work towards :)

I haven't had any formal training either, I just started singing back in the day as no-one else wanted to and became the singer, so I am sure there is a lot more for me to learn. I guess I have avoided training as a way of hiding, I mean if my voice doesn't sound the way i want (perfection program), I can just go well, I'm self taught, so it's kind of an excuse. The O and A are kinda of the way I sing, it's easier to get the lyrics to work together, I find, but again something to think about :)

The soldier and the bear line actually has a double meaning, yes partly about Russia/state of the wold and also about myself. i had a session with my spiritual healer which went into past lives, I had a heart chakra blockage and she said that in 2 separate past lives I had my heart ripped out, literally, once by a bear and once as a soldier in battle. Now she did say that a lot of these things can be symbolic but the images stayed with me and manifested lyrically in this song which is about letting go of trauma and using the signs and knowledge to evolve.

Hello H2O said:
Hi baz. I like the song, but I would have to agree with goyacobol, about the vocals.

To me, a singer/songwriter is a communicator. And you seem to hold your vocals, or your communication a little too close to your vest.

I think you need to get it out there a little more, spoken/sung a little more clearly, and with a little more confidence.

The line, "The soldier and the bear once fought to the death" is pretty powerful IMO, but it is hard to make out in the song.

Cheers

Thanks Hello H20,

Fair point, I guess this might have something to do with fear of rejection, and maybe even my make nice program. Subconsciously maybe it is a form of self censoring, not wanting to upset anyone with what I want to say, but also hiding the real "me" as I don't feel worthy. I am not sure but plenty to contemplate.

I never had this problem when I was singing in my rock/metal band, but that was a different phase of my life and was more about trying to wake people up (lyrically) and obviously a much more aggressive type of music.

Seems there are quite a few programs running, as I continue I am sure there will be more to dig into.

I might try and record a cover song soon and see if that makes any difference, singing someone else's words rather than my own.

cheers for the feedback :)

ok, so for an experiment I recorded a cover to see if there is any difference in articulation.

Disarm - https://soundcloud.com/machines-of-me/disarm-cover-iive

Q

987baz said:
ok, so for an experiment I recorded a cover to see if there is any difference in articulation.

Disarm - https://soundcloud.com/machines-of-me/disarm-cover-iive

Wow! 987baz.

I think you are on your way. It's like you have this natural expression of emotion that has been trying to get out. I am more into the guitar these days and trying to express my self that way but both the accompaniment and the instrument are important OSIT.

As for me, I just hope you may have friends close that you can maybe get together with and explore this vocal side of you.

I am no expert but I just feel something from your voice that has a lot to say.

I still don't hear all the words like I would like to but I just get this kind of emotional connection to what you are trying to express. It's not like the words are lost but just a little hard to hear.

I am in the same boat I think. I used to try to write some songs myself. I have changed so much over the years that I haven't done much singing lately and I am trying to learn as much as I can about the guitar. With that said I really think that even Cs say there is something about the human voice that is very important.

So, I only wish to encourage you to continue to "experiment" with your ideas musically and feel free to share. I am thinking about doing something myself even though I am a bit older than you are.

I think as the Cs have said "music is good".

They did not say this very often. The first time say said it was in 1994.

Without any questions at all...

Session 16 October 1994
Frank, Laura, V___
Q: Hello.
A: Hello. Music is Good.
Q: (L) Can you give us your name?
A: Cederra.
Q: (L) I would like to know what is the origin of the Freemasons?
A: Osirians.
Q: (L) Can you tell us when the original Freemasons formed as a society?
A: 5633 B.C.

And the only other time I found it is nine years ago in earthly time:

Session 22 October 2008
Q: (A****) Will the detox/anti-candida diet help me to stop having negative thoughts?
A: Yes indeed! Follow the diet and especially the supplements. The information about "secrets" applies to you too!!!!
Q: (Discussion of answer)
A: Also, what's with the depressing and mind warping music?!
Q: (A******) My music isn't depressing!
A: You should sing more. Clear melodies can change the vibration of your physical structure.
Q: (A****) That's why I sing in the bathroom.
A: Art and music are your gifts. Do not waste them.
Q: (A****) So that's why I sing because I know subconsciously...
A: You should study voice. It could be your ticket to dreamland.
Q: (A*****) So if I follow this candida thing and stop being so weird then it could help me accomplish my goals? (Discussion)
A: Yes. Always. When the voice within is in harmony with the voice without, the angels will sing with you.
Q: (A***) Okay. Sounds good. So when I do all this stuff, and I bloom, will I know instinctively where I ought to be?
A: Yes.
Q: (Simon) (question about breathing exercises)
A: Laura can teach you a better technique.
Q: (Chu) Does this music and singing thing apply to all of us?

Q: (Anna) Uh-oh. (L) Just not to the same extent. (Anna) I have a whiskey voice, people! (L) I think singing helps you, but in
A****'s case it was specific. (Scottie) So that would mean that playing an instrument would be good, yes?
A: Music is a good mode of expression for most people. But there are some who can change others lives with their heart and
voice: A******.
Q: (L) Any last questions? (Ark) I just wanted to make a comment about how this music is good for everybody. It depends on
what you have in your heart and mind. Remember F****! (laughter)

A: You hit the nail on the bald head! Goodbye.
{The referenced individual "F****" is completely bald.}
END OF SESSON

You know what? I have learned as much from you as you have ever learned from me.

I love you guys and I am not ashamed to say it because we are all a family.

Re: Q

goyacobol said:
Wow! 987baz.

I think you are on your way. It's like you have this natural expression of emotion that has been trying to get out. I am more into the guitar these days and trying to express my self that way but both the accompaniment and the instrument are important OSIT.

As for me, I just hope you may have friends close that you can maybe get together with and explore this vocal side of you.

I am no expert but I just feel something from your voice that has a lot to say.

I still don't hear all the words like I would like to but I just get this kind of emotional connection to what you are trying to express. It's not like the words are lost but just a little hard to hear.

I am in the same boat I think. I used to try to write some songs myself. I have changed so much over the years that I haven't done much singing lately and I am trying to learn as much as I can about the guitar. With that said I really think that even Cs say there is something about the human voice that is very important.

So, I only wish to encourage you to continue to "experiment" with your ideas musically and feel free to share. I am thinking about doing something myself even though I am a bit older than you are.

I think as the Cs have said "music is good".

They did not say this very often. The first time say said it was in 1994.

Without any questions at all...

Session 16 October 1994
Frank, Laura, V___
Q: Hello.
A: Hello. Music is Good.
Q: (L) Can you give us your name?
A: Cederra.
Q: (L) I would like to know what is the origin of the Freemasons?
A: Osirians.
Q: (L) Can you tell us when the original Freemasons formed as a society?
A: 5633 B.C.

And the only other time I found it is nine years ago in earthly time:

Session 22 October 2008
Q: (A****) Will the detox/anti-candida diet help me to stop having negative thoughts?
A: Yes indeed! Follow the diet and especially the supplements. The information about "secrets" applies to you too!!!!
Q: (Discussion of answer)
A: Also, what's with the depressing and mind warping music?!
Q: (A******) My music isn't depressing!
A: You should sing more. Clear melodies can change the vibration of your physical structure.
Q: (A****) That's why I sing in the bathroom.
A: Art and music are your gifts. Do not waste them.
Q: (A****) So that's why I sing because I know subconsciously...
A: You should study voice. It could be your ticket to dreamland.
Q: (A*****) So if I follow this candida thing and stop being so weird then it could help me accomplish my goals? (Discussion)
A: Yes. Always. When the voice within is in harmony with the voice without, the angels will sing with you.
Q: (A***) Okay. Sounds good. So when I do all this stuff, and I bloom, will I know instinctively where I ought to be?
Q: (Simon) (question about breathing exercises)
A: Laura can teach you a better technique.
Q: (Chu) Does this music and singing thing apply to all of us?

Q: (Anna) Uh-oh. (L) Just not to the same extent. (Anna) I have a whiskey voice, people! (L) I think singing helps you, but in
A****'s case it was specific. (Scottie) So that would mean that playing an instrument would be good, yes?
A: Music is a good mode of expression for most people. But there are some who can change others lives with their heart and
voice: A******.
Q: (L) Any last questions? (Ark) I just wanted to make a comment about how this music is good for everybody. It depends on
what you have in your heart and mind. Remember F****! (laughter)

A: You hit the nail on the bald head! Goodbye.
{The referenced individual "F****" is completely bald.}
END OF SESSON

You know what? I have learned as much from you as you have ever learned from me.

I love you guys and I am not ashamed to say it because we are all a family.

:) many thanks goyacobol!!

That means a lot to me, I have always been more about emotional content in my voice and have always been driven to listen to vocalists with emotion in their voices over perfect pitch, so again thank you my friend your encouragement and feedback are always welcome.

I do have a few musician friends still and the plan is to get something going at some stage, after playing in bands for years I do miss the collaboration, I just wanted to stand on my own and deal with my perfectionism first ;)

I find that singing is almost a meditative state for me, it's like my subconscious, higher self and conscious self come into some sort of alignment and I find I can express myself vocally, even if the words are hard to understand. In this regard I have also let the lyrics take on a life of their own, in my bands I would always be meticulous about my lyrics, where as now I just let them flow, almost like automatic writing, whatever needs to be expressed comes out :)

My kineslologist has said that music is my gift and I need to use it, for going against it would be going against the universe.

I sure hope you do post some of your stuff too, I would love to hear it :)

And ditto to your last statement :cool2:

New track https://soundcloud.com/machines-of-me/mantichora-live

Mantichora

Thought about the obvious
Thought about letting go for so long
Acknowledging the darkness
Inside my soul
Holding on to all this guilt
Holding on to all this pain
in my heart
My mind goes round in circles
and I can't move on

Caught in the fable follow the shadow down

The ineffable shame
Exposed, expunged

And blood red emotion
Drinks me from the inside out
All I know is I will go on.

Calling out the entropy
Calling out all the ways I doubt
I'm lost inside this endless loop
I can't move on
It's hard to see the light from here
It's to see but I know it shines
I try and try to speak the truth
But who wants to know

The ineffable shame
Exposed, expunged

And blood red emotion

Let a little light inside
Let the truth be told
through my soul

The ineffable shame
Exposed, expunged

And blood red emotion

987baz,

I joined SoundCloud and posted a comment:

Machines of Me, I think the lyrics are great and ones that go deep. I could hear the words much better towards the end. "And blood red emotion Drinks me from the inside out All I know is I will go on." Keep on going.

I also like the way you structure the lyrics with some repeated lines like:

The ineffable shame
Exposed, expunged

Like I've said I am no expert but I think you have a natural talent for writing. I see in the lyrics some of the same little voices that run in my own head sometimes. I think it is talked about in different places here as the "Negative Introject".

Here is one short thread Negative Introject (from Chapter 18 in "Trapped in the Mirror)

One of the books mentioned is Trapped in the Mirror. I actually haven't read that one but I have read Unholy Hungers which is another one mentioned.

I suppose I deal with many of the same emotions so maybe I am projecting as much or more than observing here.

I noticed a little guitar lick in there that adds to the flavor too. May we all just say "I will go on".

Baz, I liked that one as well.

I don't want to harp on it, but I hear a basis for pretty powerful songs. I know these are just guitar and voice, but I hear in the song structures, that you know what you are doing with your time signatures and such, and just the way you present it overall is pretty polished.

The good thing is, if you decide to leave it as just guitar and voice, it has enough meat in it already to stand alone, but also has the potential for being a bigger song with bass, drums, etc.

Good stuff.

goyacobol said:
987baz,

I joined SoundCloud and posted a comment:

Machines of Me, I think the lyrics are great and ones that go deep. I could hear the words much better towards the end. "And blood red emotion Drinks me from the inside out All I know is I will go on." Keep on going.

I also like the way you structure the lyrics with some repeated lines like:

The ineffable shame
Exposed, expunged

Like I've said I am no expert but I think you have a natural talent for writing. I see in the lyrics some of the same little voices that run in my own head sometimes. I think it is talked about in different places here as the "Negative Introject".

Here is one short thread Negative Introject (from Chapter 18 in "Trapped in the Mirror)

One of the books mentioned is Trapped in the Mirror. I actually haven't read that one but I have read Unholy Hungers which is another one mentioned.

I suppose I deal with many of the same emotions so maybe I am projecting as much or more than observing here.

I noticed a little guitar lick in there that adds to the flavor too. May we all just say "I will go on".

Thanks goyacobol, I saw your comment on soundCloud :) appreciate you taking the time! (there are some great artists on there too so it's great for finding new music)

I just had a look at the negative introject thread, some very interesting points for sure, so thanks for that :) I have read trapped in the mirror, but it was a long time ago, so maybe I will revisit it once I have finished with Collingwood & Tamdgidi ;)

I look at my lyrical content and even the singing itself as a way to express complex emotions and ideas that my conscious and subconscious mind are dealing with. For whatever reason I think it is easier for me to express these things through song rather than trying to articulate just through speech. Maybe this is a center thing, where the intellectual and emotional centers are at odds? Sometimes I don't even know why the particular lyrics come out until later, when I read something here on the forum and I have a light bulb moment. I have often likened my music to channeling, I know it sounds a bit weird, but it's almost like there is something flowing through me and I colour that information with my own particular makeup.

Hello H2O said:
Baz, I liked that one as well.

I don't want to harp on it, but I hear a basis for pretty powerful songs. I know these are just guitar and voice, but I hear in the song structures, that you know what you are doing with your time signatures and such, and just the way you present it overall is pretty polished.

The good thing is, if you decide to leave it as just guitar and voice, it has enough meat in it already to stand alone, but also has the potential for being a bigger song with bass, drums, etc.

Good stuff.

Thanks Hello H20,

The idea is certainly to record these songs properly with drums bass and keys etc at some stage in the future. I have so many unfinished songs that this "live" thing kind of forces me to complete these tracks and get them out, once that is done, I pan on having a look at which ones are most liked and recording them for an album. I figure if they stand alone "live" then when I get the chance to fill them out it will only add to them.

I have started tracking some of the songs with other instruments, but as this is so time consuming I haven't finished any of them yet, I might attach a few tot his thread unfinished for you to listen too, to see if what you have in mind is similar to what I have created.

Also, maybe at some stage we could work on something together?

That would be cool.

One thing I might try, is to lay some drum tracks over your song and record it, and post it here. It would be pretty rough as I only have an app on my phone to record with. (Also without any sort of click track, it would be hard to synch up with just your rhythm guitar.)

If you want to attach some of the instrumentation you have been working with that would be cool too. It would be interesting to see how close or how different our thinking is on different tracks.

Hello H2O said:
That would be cool.

One thing I might try, is to lay some drum tracks over your song and record it, and post it here. It would be pretty rough as I only have an app on my phone to record with. (Also without any sort of click track, it would be hard to synch up with just your rhythm guitar.)

If you want to attach some of the instrumentation you have been working with that would be cool too. It would be interesting to see how close or how different our thinking is on different tracks.

OK cool, I'll upload a few bits and pieces when I get some time (with click track). There is one track I'm working on which is just guitar at the moment, with a weird 5/4 bar at the start that might be interesting to play with for you too :)

Hey baz.

I did a quick recording. I will post it here. But given that I can only record on my phone with an app, it is pretty rough. And the drums sound a little bit like garbage can lids... :lol:

I tried a few different things just to get the feel of it.

- early on, no cymbals, or hi hat. Just bass drum and snare. I liked that compared to later when the hi hat was used.

- the bass drum pattern sounds better when it is simpler, I did it busier earlier, then went to a simpler beat.

- I would take out the cymbal crash on the second break, (expunged)

I missed the break in the middle,,, oops...

Attachments

• drums over baz 001.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 8
Hello H2O said:
Hey baz.

I did a quick recording. I will post it here. But given that I can only record on my phone with an app, it is pretty rough. And the drums sound a little bit like garbage can lids... :lol:

I tried a few different things just to get the feel of it.

- early on, no cymbals, or hi hat. Just bass drum and snare. I liked that compared to later when the hi hat was used.

- the bass drum pattern sounds better when it is simpler, I did it busier earlier, then went to a simpler beat.

- I would take out the cymbal crash on the second break, (expunged)

I missed the break in the middle,,, oops...

Nice one, cheers for having a go at it, must be very difficult with no click...well done :cool2:

I am still working out the time signatures for the track I mentioned earlier, I have attached a screen shot of what I've done so far to give you an idea haha

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 9.48.31 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 9.48.31 pm.png
    544.1 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom