New Forum layout April 2018

Just updated to XenForo 2.0.10.

134 changes in this release, including:

- Touch support for cropping avatars on mobile devices (I think somebody mentioned this here in the past)
- Numerous video/whatever embed improvements
- LOTS of bug fixes

:bacon:

So, now that the Big Under the Hood SOTT Upgrade is done, my thoughts turn back towards the forum...

How important is it to people to have the forum translated into your own language?

At the moment, we only have English, Russian, and Arabic.

There are other langs available (like 2 or 3), but you can't just get the translation files. You have to do things like:

1. Sign up on the translator's forum
2. Send them a message
3. Put a secret file on your forum so that they can pretend to be Google and "verify" your site
4. Then pay them $5

This is supposedly done so that no one can steal their translations and offer them up for sale, which is absurd.

In short: XenForo doesn't have easily available translation files. So, I see an opportunity here - maybe.

The translation files are XML files, over 6000 lines long. That means 6000 words/phrases/sentences to translate.

XML files are not easy to work with, so I was thinking about using my Pika JS library to make an easy-to-use translator web page that would allow multiple people to work on French, Spanish, German, etc.

I would create and post this somewhere, and everyone could contribute translations a bit at a time. It shouldn't be too hard, would allow everyone to see everyone else's work, and would be easy to use. I have most of it figured out, but there are a few things I still need to think about.

Once the XML files were done, we would use them so that the whole forum interface would be in a person's native language.

I would also take the translation files and offer them for free with no strings attached on the XenForo Resources site, with a donate button. Most likely, no one will donate anything. But it would get us "out there" as the nice people on Cassiopaea who did what no one else would do. People are looking for Spanish especially, and French...

Then more people would use XenForo, we'd get "credit" for being awesome, and XenForo would spread. Which means it would get better.

So, whattaya think? Good, bad, crazy??

So, whattaya think? Good, bad, crazy??
It is just a little crazy and very, very good. :-D;-)
To put the joke aside, I like the idea. Why not try it.

We would never know if it is a good, bad or crazy idea until we try it.
I personally, like the interface as it is on English. I can better navigate through the forum.
On the other side, there are a lot of people who don't know English and this translation will help them a lot.
It will be a difficult job, but I think we should try it.

I don't need a translation but I can help with German. I can also work with xml files, placeholders in strings etc.
It might just be a bit more difficult to translate UI labels without knowing the exact context or labels from admin/backend that I never see or disabled forum features and space restrictions / text overflow. But all that is probably not something to worry about yet.:-)

We would never know if it is a good, bad or crazy idea until we try it.
I personally, like the interface as it is on English. I can better navigate through the forum.
On the other side, there are a lot of people who don't know English and this translation will help them a lot.
It will be a difficult job, but I think we should try it.

I agree with Konstantin and if it can help us in any way, it is worth a try.

I agree with Konstantin and if it can help us in any way, it is worth a try.

Sorry, but I tend to disagree since the most part of the content here is in English, and that's what the more important ! I mean, what's the point to offer an interface in other langages if people don't understand the content ? Just my thought.

I would also take the translation files and offer them for free with no strings attached on the XenForo Resources site, with a donate button. Most likely, no one will donate anything. But it would get us "out there" as the nice people on Cassiopaea who did what no one else would do. People are looking for Spanish especially, and French...
Sorry, but I tend to disagree since the most part of the content here is in English, and that's what the more important ! I mean, what's the point to offer an interface in other langages if people don't understand the content ? Just my thought.

Hi @Maat ,

I think that this project has a strategic goal and the translation will be useful for all the people that are using XenForo.

Yes, this forum is an English one but there are other forum that are surely french or spanish forums and that they will be happy to have it translated in french or spanish.

My 2 cents.

Hi @Maat ,

I think that this project has a strategic goal and the translation will be useful for all the people that are using XenForo.

Yes, this forum is an English one but there are other forum that are surely french or spanish forums and that they will be happy to have it translated in french or spanish.

My 2 cents.

Yes, viewed in a broader sense, it's sure useful of course ! But for here, it's absurd. So the real question is if we want to spend our energies for something more useful elsewhere than all our others projects ? Why not indeed, if it pleases some people here, I'm not against. Just don't count on me for this one, my choice is made :whistle::-P (I will have no time, that's all)

So the real question is if we want to spend our energies for something more useful elsewhere than all our others projects ?

Well, that IS the real question. It's a lot of work to translate 6000 lines...

So unless enough people would find it useful here on this forum, it isn't worth doing.

XML files are not easy to work with, so I was thinking about using my Pika JS library to make an easy-to-use translator web page that would allow multiple people to work on French, Spanish, German, etc.

OmegaT might be the right tool for this task. I can check how well XenForo localization file gets parsed by OmegaT and make adjustments to its XML filter if required.

OmegaT might be the right tool for this task. I can check how well XenForo localization file gets parsed by OmegaT and make adjustments to its XML filter if required.
I agree though I'm not sure whether it is easily installable. A simple web interface or even Google Spreadsheet with Google Translator or even better DeepL integration could do the job.

Well, that might be the way to go...

Chances are, one person will probably end up doing most of the work for each language... Assuming there is anyone who wants to do it for each lang. :whistle:

My opinion is since it is an English forum and the first form of communication is English, it could stay that way. And the English terms that are used are easily translatable for members. But these are just my two cents.

But when other people and (language) forums could benefit as well from it, than it would make more sense to me.

If there are people who just check the language subforums from time to time then they are probably not reading this here and won't raise their hands, just to keep in mind. I don't know, maybe ask in there with a little thread/note. I also guess that only 5% of the UI phrases are actually relevant to the average reader/user.

Back
Top Bottom