New Forum layout April 2018

I'm new to this forum, so I don't know how it used to look, but it looks nice and clean.

I mostly access this forum on my mobile, and it looks unclutered and intuitive. The use of icons helps to make it look clean.

On other forums, posts and threads are quickly buried. But on this forum the spam is not a problem, so the membership gets credit too for it being 'library-like' and scholarly - and not a 'what are you drinking' hang out.

I still have to figure out the quote+, but everything else is intuitive. Great job!

I still have to figure out the quote+, but everything else is intuitive. Great job!

You can either highlight the text you want to quote and select +Quote, or just hit the +Quote on the bottom right of each post. Either action will add what you want to quote to the "Multi-quote". Then, at the bottom of the page where the text editor box is and where you type, you then select the "Insert quotes..." button below the text editor box. Voila, the messages you wanted to quote are then inserted into the text editor box.

Then, at the bottom of the page where the text editor box is and where you type, you then select the "Insert quotes..." button below the text editor box.

OK, I think I have it figured out, thanks. I think one of the '+quotes' buttons don't work for my phone - the floating one with the black background. The other one I tried works.

When using it before, the previous selected quotes would paste, but it would also paste previously quoted comments from other replys. I think I have it figured now.

I'm pretty sure the "Drafts" feature on the old forum was an add-on that saved drafts forever.

This one is built-in and has a time limit to prevent clogging up the forum with never-finished posts.

I changed it to 1 week instead of 5 days. I'm still gonna save long posts in a text editor though. I don't trust them dang computers these days!
:halo:
I just read this, Scottie. I wish I'd have known! Just lost a rather lengthy post which I did not get round to finishing :cry:

Do we have already any finished translations of XenForo language files?

XenForo 2.1 is in beta testing right now. New features it will bring:
  • Native push notifications on supported devices/browsers
  • Editor button management
  • Enhanced editor integration and advanced BB code option syntax
  • Markdown support
  • Tables
  • Reactions [I think this might be something other than just "Like"]
  • URL unfurling
  • Emoji enhancements including an improved smilie menu with easy emoji access
  • Video uploads
  • Approval queue improvements
  • Guest performance improvements including guest page caching
  • Content bookmarking and sharing
  • A fully featured REST API
  • One click XenForo upgrades and easier add-on installation
  • BB code and rich text editing for profile posts and comments

Tables, bookmarks, and (thank god) one-click upgrades... The upgrade process right now is slow and complicated, so that's a bonus for Scotties.
:wow:

XenForo 2.1 was released.

Upgrade coming soon! Tables are like before, bookmarks are better than before, the sheer number of smilies/emojis available is utterly retarded, better approval queue, and quite a few other improvements.

You can read all about them here:
Have you seen...?

:clap:

We're now upgraded to XenForo 2.1. Handy new features:

Emojis, like this:
🦄 🚒 🐼 👽
Just click the smiley button, and instead of using an existing smiley, type a word. Chances are, there's an emoji for that.

Inline smilies: You can start typing a smiley code, and it will autocomplete for you with a popup

Reactions: Click Like button for a simple Like, or hover over Like button for other options.

Fancy Editor for Profile Posts & Comments

BOOKMARKS!!!
Bookmark a post. You can find your bookmarks by clicking your your Avatar/Username in the upper-right corner of any forum page.

Sharing: You can now share an individual forum post on social media

Push Notifications: if you're into that sort of thing ( but no iOS support due to Apple being stupid and not adhering to the standards!)

Inline Spoilers: What's an inline spoiler? It looks like this. Neato, eh? Available in the "..." dropdown menu on the editor bar.

TABLES!!! Yes, you can insert tables again. YAY!

Redesigned Approval Queue for mods, including Spam actions

Guest caching: More speed via changes to cookies and sessions and caching pages for not-logged-in users

URL Unfurling: What is that? Just put a URL on its own line, like so:

Inline URLs are not "unfurled" like that.

And finally: Onclick Forum Upgrades. No more uploading 5000 files to the server. Less downtime. Yay! 🎆

TABLES!!! Yes, you can insert tables again. YAY!

Hi @Scottie,

It seems that there is a problem with the tables because whatever I try there is always a big blank gap before seeing the table. However, it could easily be that I don't know how to do those with the new version.

See an example of a simple table 3 x 3 that should be right below:

abc
def
ghi

Last edited by a moderator:
Testing:

aaafffvvv sdfsd
ewer wef efeefsdfsdfs sdfsddd
sd fsdfsdfxxwe wefwef

DOHN!

Fixed now. I had added custom BBcodes for tables to try to fix them in XF 2.0.
I removed those, and now it works properly.

It looks like tables are kind of limited, tho... Like the width of the table is always 100%, and you can't customize them quite as much as in the old forum.

I'm guessing that will change as they add new features as v2.1 matures.

Last edited:
Nice work Scottie its blazing 🔥🔥
Yes, the forum is really coming alive, like our 3D selves translated into a 4D group organism, emotions and all!

Thank you for the wonderfully convenient bookmarking function Scottie. For slow coach readers like me it really helps keep track of where I am in all the threads I'm reading.

You can either highlight the text you want to quote and select +Quote, or just hit the +Quote on the bottom right of each post. Either action will add what you want to quote to the "Multi-quote". Then, at the bottom of the page where the text editor box is and where you type, you then select the "Insert quotes..." button below the text editor box. Voila, the messages you wanted to quote are then inserted into the text editor box.
Hi guys, I'm still practicing because I'm computer illiterate.

Back
Top Bottom