New Forum layout April 2018

We're now upgraded to XenForo 2.1
Thank you, Scottie, for all your hard work! Sounds like you can have some more fun with the new version as admin too :dance:

There is also this strange thing I found on the XenForo forum. A two years old discussion about printing entire threads which is a function that some of us have been longing for since leaving the old forum. The creators replied to an inquiry about this function with suggestion there is an add-on called Export Thread (as a part of Thread Tools) and it produces almost exact format of full thread files as we got used to when printing full threads on the old platform.

Only registered users of XF can download it. You can find it here:

Do you think it would be possible to add this feature easily to our forum so everyone could use that function? I would send you a box of chocolates and a bag of 🥓!

Do you think it would be possible to add this feature easily to our forum so everyone could use that function?

That's for XenForo 1.x, and we're using 2.x.

There is another add-on that's called Export 1.1, made by the same guy for version 2.x:

Looks like it works a bit differently, so I dunno how good it would look for printing - and it costs $35 a year.

The devs seemed to do the same thing with Bookmarks: "Here, just use this paid add-on instead!" And then they added the feature to 2.1. Printing is basic functionality, so I'm still hoping they'll add it eventually.

That's for XenForo 1.x, and we're using 2.x.

There is another add-on that's called Export 1.1, made by the same guy for version 2.x....
...Looks like it works a bit differently, so I dunno how good it would look for printing - and it costs $35 a year.

The devs seemed to do the same thing with Bookmarks: "Here, just use this paid add-on instead!" And then they added the feature to 2.1. Printing is basic functionality, so I'm still hoping they'll add it eventually.
I see. Thanks for clarification. Let's practice patience and non-anticipation :whistle: ....... it's hard, man! :rolleyes:

While translating XenForo I found that some of the time zone labels are wrong. Don't know if reported/fixed or if anyone has a XenForo forum account or a contact to tell the developers. Do whatever you want with this.
Code:
(UTC+01:00) Windhoek
Namibia is UTC+2 since 2017

(UTC+03:00) Moscow, St. Petersburg, Volgograd
Volgograd is UTC+4 since 2018

(UTC+06:00) Almaty, Bishkek, Qyzylorda
Qysylorda is UTC+5.

(UTC+06:00) Novosibirsk
Novosibirsk changed back to UTC+7 in 2016.

(UTC+10:00) Magadan
Magadan changed back to UTC+11 in 2016.

(UTC+11:30) Norfolk Island
Norfolk Island changed back to UTC+11 in 2015.

I wouldn't worry about translating that since I don't think there's a way to change the language from English until after you're registered. Besides, it's a LOT of text to translate...
There is actually a language chooser at the bottom of the page, next to a style chooser, even if not logged in.

I tried to use an rss feed again. There is an rss feed icon at the bottom right of the forum page. I used that url with thunderbird and I get a message for new posts, but the view doesn't jump/scroll to the actual post (the message url does not contain a post anchor) and the author is shown as invalid@example.com (username).

I tried to use an rss feed again. There is an rss feed icon at the bottom right of the forum page. I used that url with thunderbird and I get a message for new posts, but the view doesn't jump/scroll to the actual post (the message url does not contain a post anchor) and the author is shown as invalid@example.com (username).

It appears that there are no options for making the RSS feed include links to new messages. So it's basically just links to the most recently updated threads (I think...) but it won't jump you down to that latest message. That would be custom for each user anyway, so maybe they decided not to implement it.

RSS feeds ARE limited to just those who can access them. So, for example, the FOTCM Members private board RSS feed is not viewable by just anyone. Which is nice.

Also, the RSS button in the footer of the page is always the generic one. The per-board RSS feeds are accessed by clicking the RSS icon in the address bar (which requires an RSS viewer add-on in Firefox & Chrome, as far as I know).

Finally, the invalid@example.com is to avoid leaking people's e-mail addies, so that's actually "correct" I think.

Yeah, the RSS feeds aren't terribly useful, I'm afraid.

I just want to be sure: when you send a Private message to a member are you start a "conversation" to him or her? Thank you!

This is making me feel a little daft.
I have created a couple of draft posts but I have no idea of how I can locate where those drafts are?
I do see the "drafts" tab as I am writing this now so Yes, I can save this as a draft. But of course, I could just type out the post again but that kinda defeats the purpose of it.
Cheers> ?

Drafts are saved in Reply boxes of respective threads, up to 5 days max.
IOW, when you come back to thread/topic where the draft was made, you'll find what you wrote and saved in the same place where you'd start the new post/reply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom